The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another version which includes Chriss as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Wall had Achilles surgery and will be out at least 12 months. He may never be worth a crap again. $47 million next year alone , wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Another version which includes Chriss as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Rockets had to give up a first to get rid of the Suns garbage. We sure grow em good down here.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rockets had to give up a first to get rid of the Suns garbage. We sure grow em good down here.

Hmm. Rockets had to give up a first to get rid of Knight and Chriss.

We still have a young player with value and a guard we can look at until summer.

That trade is looking better now.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wall had Achilles surgery and will be out at least 12 months. He may never be worth a crap again. $47 million next year alone , wow.

He's "only" making $37mil next year, $47mil in the final year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All of the participants for All-Star Saturday Night are set.

In the Skills challenge...

Mike Conley, Grizzlies
Luka Doncic, Mavericks
De'Aaron Fox, Kings
Nikola Jokic, Nuggets
Kyle Kuzma, Lakers
Jayson Tatum, Celtics
Nikola Vucevic, Magic
Trae Young, Hawks

In the 3pt Shootout...

Devin Booker
, Suns
Seth Curry, Trail Blazers
Stephen Curry, Warriors
Danny Green, Raptors
Joe Harris, Nets
Buddy Hield, King
Damian Lillard, Trail Blazers
Khris Middleton, Bucks
Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks
Kemba Walker, Hornets

In the Dunk Contest...

Miles Bridges, Hornets
John Collins, Hawks
Hamidou Diallo, Thunder
Dennis Smith Jr., Knicks

http://www.nba.com/allstar/2019/events/all-star-saturday-night?collection=news

Going to have to get an All-Star thread going soon. Good to see Booker defending his 3pt title. It feels like he won that a couple years ago and not last year. I wonder how many rounds will be in the 3pt shootout this year with 10 participants. Only 2 seems a bit short, in a way. I like when it gets down to 2 people going head to head, hopefully there is a 3rd round that brings it down to 2 and they have them shooting at the same time on opposite ends of the court. That creates the most excitement, IMO.

The dunk contest having 4 isn't bad. They change the rules every year and there is only so many dunks that can be done. It hasn't been good since Aaron Gordon's first trip, even though he didn't win.

The Skills Challenge is blah. I miss the game they had with an NBA legend, a current NBA player, and a WNBA player from the same city doing a shootout of sorts where they had to hit shots from like 6 or 7 spots in the fastest time. That was entertaining, more so than the Skills Challenge, I think, but it just stopped with no real explanation.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doncic with another triple double tonight with 19, 10, and 11.

Man... I don't think we could have gotten the pick from Atlanta even if we'd given up our other pick + Jackson + a future pick or 2, IMO they were hot and heavy for Young and their love of Young is the only reason they moved down. But lordy... getting Doncic and Ayton would have been sweet.

We've got talent on this team but we lack a playmaker and we lack someone who plays with a competitive fire non-stop.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Man... I don't think we could have gotten the pick from Atlanta even if we'd given up our other pick + Jackson + a future pick or 2, IMO they were hot and heavy for Young and their love of Young is the only reason they moved down. But lordy... getting Doncic and Ayton would have been sweet.

We've got talent on this team but we lack a playmaker and we lack someone who plays with a competitive fire non-stop.

Oh I think about that every Mavs game I watch. Doncic, Booker, Ayton.

In all fairness, even as a huge Luka fan, I didn't think he would be able to do things he does. I knew he could play PG, but I did not believe he could play it as well as he does, essentially full-time, and I did not think he would be this good in general. What he's been doing in the last five weeks or so is what I thought his ceiling would be. I honestly thought it would take him four years to get there. I am still incredibly high on Ayton and Bridges, so that makes watching Doncic do what he does a little bit more bearable.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok the protection makes much more sense but if it was straight up 2 first round picks him no thanks. I like him but let's be real this is his 5th team and being traded so many times means yes people do want you it also means teams feel they can live without you. He's a good player

If your Philly your pretty much giving up a 1 but your think your time is now.

I screwed that up, it is two first round picks. I don't know what the hell I was thinking but it's top 14 protected for 3 years and then becomes 2 second rounders but that means almost the opposite of what I said. It will almost definitely pay off next year assuming the 76ers make the playoffs. It won't be a great first rounder but it's still better than 2 seconds.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh I think about that every Mavs game I watch. Doncic, Booker, Ayton.

In all fairness, even as a huge Luka fan, I didn't think he would be able to do things he does. I knew he could play PG, but I did not believe he could play it as well as he does, essentially full-time, and I did not think he would be this good in general. What he's been doing in the last five weeks or so is what I thought his ceiling would be. I honestly thought it would take him four years to get there. I am still incredibly high on Ayton and Bridges, so that makes watching Doncic do what he does a little bit more bearable.

I watch Luka and the way he moves and uses space in the court and the intensity he brings all the time... it reminds me of Larry Bird. He's not near the shooter Bird was, but way he seems to be everywhere despite not being fast, the way he flicks passes around, it really makes me think of him.

He's going to be a superstar. He's putting together the best rookie season by a dude his age since LeBron. I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but I think he's going to be a top 10-15 player in the league for a long time

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Mavs cleared nearly 20 million in summer cap space in the Barnes trade.

I'm calling it right now. Durant signs with Dallas.

Mavs are building for the future, Durant is in win now mode. He's gonna try and make a super team

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Durant has said he is looking to get paid. He got his championships so I don't think he is set on joining another super-team.
Plus, Doncic is really good. KP, if he can actually stay healthy, is pretty damn good too. I don't think the Mavs are far away from being a really dangerous team. KD gets them there for sure.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Mavs cleared nearly 20 million in summer cap space in the Barnes trade.

I'm calling it right now. Durant signs with Dallas.

Too much uncertainty with Porzingis. I think he stays in Golden St a few reasons:

- Most money after taking less than max
- Still the best shot at a title
- They trade Green
- Steph might be the easiest superstar to play with
- New arena and facilities next year in downtown SF and lots of profit to max him and Klay

The one thing I could see him switching teams is he’s so insecure that he doesn’t want his legacy defined by joining the Warriors. But in the end money and titles is what counts.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Durant has said he is looking to get paid. He got his championships so I don't think he is set on joining another super-team.
Plus, Doncic is really good. KP, if he can actually stay healthy, is pretty damn good too. I don't think the Mavs are far away from being a really dangerous team. KD gets them there for sure.

I think Cuban is pulling out all the stops. I'm not sure about Durant but if the Mavericks add one more key piece and Porzingis gets healthy they will be ready to roll. Soon Dallas will become a destination for top players.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Cuban is pulling out all the stops. I'm not sure about Durant but if the Mavericks add one more key piece and Porzingis gets healthy they will be ready to roll. Soon Dallas will become a destination for top players.

No state income tax as well, as we are often reminded.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too much uncertainty with Porzingis. I think he stays in Golden St a few reasons:

- Most money after taking less than max
- Still the best shot at a title
- They trade Green
- Steph might be the easiest superstar to play with
- New arena and facilities next year in downtown SF and lots of profit to max him and Klay

The one thing I could see him switching teams is he’s so insecure that he doesn’t want his legacy defined by joining the Warriors. But in the end money and titles is what counts.

I think it depends how the rest of the season goes but I think if you took a player vote more players would vote for Draymond than Durant. They don't dislike Durant mind you but they love Draymond, he is the heart and soul of the team he plays so hard. Obviously Durant is the better player but if they just base it on team chemistry I would bet the players would choose Draymond.