OT: Bucs Hire Bruce Arians

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like BA but am not surprised that the Cards were no longer interested in bringing him back. That time had passed. I also don't think he wanted to come back. The Tampa Bay job is very appealing to him and lots of reasons that he took it. I wish him well except when they play against us.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
we should be mad at him because he is hiring keith Armstrong?

That was an earlier post. Pissed that BA hired someone other than Amos Jones as ST coach with Amos being available.

Then...he hired freaking Amos Jones as well. SMH.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like BA but am not surprised that the Cards were no longer interested in bringing him back. That time had passed. I also don't think he wanted to come back. The Tampa Bay job is very appealing to him and lots of reasons that he took it. I wish him well except when they play against us.
It would be really weird if he came back honestly. Has that ever happened?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't understand dislike towards Arians for taking another job. Never will.
I don't dislike Areans for taking another job. I just don't like the way things went down.

I don't like suffering through a gazillion depressing Cardinal seasons and, when the franchise finally gets over the hump, we let Arians get away and then he resurfaces in Tampa.

Something is really weird about the way it happened.

To put it another way - when a team plays its heart out but still loses, the owner, GM or HC doesn't get a free pass. (The team lost on their watch).

However justified the reasons, Arians flew the coop on Steve and Michael's watch, and it's on them.

Unfair? Yup. Can't prove it, but I somehow feel we got jobbed.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm old and don't remember that happening often. But Redskins Owner Dan Snyder did bring back retired HOF coach Joe Gibbs and that did not work out too wellI IMO once a coach leaves a team should just go on.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't dislike Areans for taking another job. I just don't like the way things went down.

I don't like suffering through a gazillion depressing Cardinal seasons and, when the franchise finally gets over the hump, we let Arians get away and then he resurfaces in Tampa.

Something is really weird about the way it happened.

To put it another way - when a team plays its heart out but still loses, the owner, GM or HC doesn't get a free pass. (The team lost on their watch).

However justified the reasons, Arians flew the coop on Steve and Michael's watch, and it's on them.

Unfair? Yup. Can't prove it, but I somehow feel we got jobbed.
Meh. I think he was genuine and between finding out adult children have better things to do, getting healthier and spending his first year out of the league, minds change.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Jon Gruden, Joe Gibbs, Chuck Knox, Bud Grant, and even George Halas.

With the exception of Halas...I don't think the 2nd times have been successful.

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jon Gruden, Joe Gibbs, Chuck Knox, Bud Grant, and even George Halas.

With the exception of Halas...I don't think the 2nd times have been successful.
I don’t get the vibe that Gruden is actually bad. I think he’s just blowing it up while the Raiders are homeless. These are basically wasted years until they get to Vegas, then it starts to matter.

But I don’t watch them enough to know that for sure.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
BA did well when CJ and DJ lead the nfl as running backs - but passed my hopes to death - no biscuit for cards - maybe with the phuckennears - but I don’t see it with Winston - he might have matured but we won’t find out until he wins again - Jamis has not handled success well - many QBs don’t - talent is there - throughout Tampa - but Caron to Jamis is a big change.

I still say we have great core talent on both sides of the ball - in spite of Wilks and Keim churning the roster after blaming the players like Whisenhunt did. I’ve not seen anything that makes me think Rosen is a franchise QB - but if you all keep saying it loud enough - maybe it will happen? Bradford with a good coach and team is proven way better - but folks already said that loud enough to make the change - I’m sure this team would be better with Bradford on it right now - no doubt in my pee brain - but we can use the money somewhere else.

We have our best window with great core players and 1st draft picks and first choice off the wire+ an experienced GM who needs to recover his status - and an embarrassed president- maybe Lil Bill Bidwill will get the Super Bowl he deserves - in spite of the Pottsville curse,

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bruce Arians: “Stars just kind of aligned” to spark comeback
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 18, 2019, 7:11 AM EST
You must be registered for see images

Getty Images
New Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians thought he was ready to walk away from coaching.

It didn’t take him long to realize how wrong he was.

In a video interview with Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic, Arians said his own emotions and all the links to the Tampa Bay job made it a natural fit. He had previously worked with Bucs General Manager Jason Licht, and know many of his trusted assistants were available, and he was closer to his family in Alabama.

The stars just kind of aligned,” Arians said. “I wasn’t sure one would open that I would want and I actually said no to a couple. And then knowing Jason [Licht], those in the Glazer family close to my grandson, and then Todd’s [Bowles] available, Keith’s [Armstrong] available, Byron’s [Leftwich] available, the whole staff is available. It’s like, ‘You’re supposed to do this, this is like a sign. You have to do this.’ ”

Arians said he began missing coaching the week of the regular season opener, the first game he was working for CBS. During production meetings, all the things he remembered came flooding back.

“It started actually in the first game,” Arians said. “I knew I was going to miss the players and the locker room. But during Pittsburgh and Cleveland, the first game and the production meeting, seeing the guys and it grew and grew and grew.

“By Week Eight, I was at practice, the defensive back messed up. I went to correct him and said, ‘Oops, this isn’t my team.’ . . . It was growing each week how much I missed the locker room and the arena.”

Assuming he remains healthy, the Buccaneers will clearly benefit from Arians’ expertise and enthusiasm, as they try to snap a streak of 11 years without a playoff appearance.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Oh, Bruce...

Andre Ellington was a low wattage veteran addition to a running back group headed up by Peyton Barber and Ronald Jones, which may leave some wondering if the Buccaneers have enough at the position for the coming season. Arians doesn’t subscribe to that theory or any theory centered on needing a star running back.

“I like our backfield. I think it’s [an] OK backfield. There’s not a David Johnson or a Todd Gurley. But you don’t need one,” Arians said, via Ira Kaufman of JoeBucsFan.com.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bruce-arians-rbs-no-todd-115845344.html

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Arians is a great coach but it's about him and not the franchise as a ongoing entity. Meaning, he might get close but Winston will sink him in any post season and since he will tailor the team for his tenure alone (like he did with us concerning his loyalties), he will set the Bucs back for years

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
BA is absolutely correct. Without a Johnson or Gurley, you can still finish a runner up in the Super Bowl.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no issue with saying "I dont need a star RB to win games"

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm saying it here first...... The retirement home of the NFL has moved to Tampa.

BA will struggle, the team will stink..... And Winston will be an abomination.

Top 3 pick is what I see for the Bucs. Maybe 4 wins.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm saying it here first...... The retirement home of the NFL has moved to Tampa.

Yeah I just don't see BA having much success in Tampa. I think it's going to be a dumpster fire down there.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually think that Tamp Bay will do well this year. Getting Todd Boyles to run their defense is a big plus as he is one of the best. The key will be if BA can make Winston a competent QB.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Yeah I just don't see BA having much success in Tampa. I think it's going to be a dumpster fire down there.

Tampa's issue is the division they play in.

I think Arians will lead the Bucs to 8-8ish type seasons.

He's a very good coach, but his offense relies too much on the big pocket passer standing around and making big throws while taking big hits. If you look back on the reason that Arians was fired by the Steelers, they fired him because they wanted an offense where Ben wasn't taking as many big hits. Palmer took a ton of big hits to get rid of the deep passes Arians dialed up. I just don't believe in Winston enough to think that they are going to excel.

The Bucs defense has serious issues rushing the passer AND covering receivers. That's not a recipe for success in the NFL right now.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can't see a 10 win season for BA with that schedule
Week 1 - SF - TB W (i give him this one, because I don'T trust Garappolo or SF to win this, they should but yeah)
Week 2 - TB - CAR L (it seems like Cam is comeing back and he owned Bowles D twice with us, he will own a slower D with less talent)
Week 3 - NY - TB W
Week 4 - TB - LAR L
Week 5 - TB - NO L
Week 6 - CAR - TB L
Week 7 - Bye
Week 8 - TB - TEN W
Week 9 - TB - SEA L
Week 10 - ARI - TB W (let it be a win for now)
Week 11 - NO - TB L
Week 12 - TB - ATL L
Week 13 - TB - JAC W
Week 14 - TB - IND L
Week 15 - TB - DET L
Week 16 - HOU - TB L (If Watson stays healthy ... he is easy the wey better QB and overall the team is better)
Week 17 - ATL - TB W (at home they can win against Atlanta)

That makes it a 6-10 season, let them win against Detroid and Houston and they are 8-8 and that sounds about the range that they could go, if Winston is the nucklehead he showed till now, this could even turn out in a massacre, since a QB that can't digest BA offense looks like a lost wood out there in a termites territory.

Look BA is a good HC or was, but his tendencies and so on, made us very forseable in the run and pass game and even with one year off football, I don't think that people forgot his tendencies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr