DeFilippo to interview for Cards OC opening

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lets put to rest the notion, Cardinals got the OC they were planning to hire all along.

It is likely DeFilippo was not on their list when K2 was hired.
Whoah! All things point toward KK being hired as some kind of "super OC." Logically, the actual OC will be more of an assistant to KK.

The OC (whether DeFlip or someone else) would be hired presumably to provide support to KK in any way asked. Because KK is intalling a new regime, we have no fix yet in how the roles of various coaches will settle in. Time will tell.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anything new on the OC position. Seems like things have stalled a bit. Looks like Flip and McAdoo are the only two still being considered right now.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thought I read Flip was going to Jacksonville to interview. Maybe once he’s done seeing what his worth is by others, he will make a decision. McAdoo is likely fall back plan if others don’t pan out. Still would like a seasoned coach on offense to be there to help balance it all out.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
None of the three really fit the bill. All three could do more harm than good from a relational standpoint. I would go with Spavital. Fact of the matter is you have a veteran offensive line coach and running back coach you can mesh offenses with. Even the wr coach has experience in both college and nfl systems. Doesn't need to be the oc that's the vet imo.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
None of the three really fit the bill. All three could do more harm than good from a relational standpoint. I would go with Spavital. Fact of the matter is you have a veteran offensive line coach and running back coach you can mesh offenses with. Even the wr coach has experience in both college and nfl systems. Doesn't need to be the oc that's the vet imo.

Supposedly the point is to hire an NFL guy...and Spavital was just a rumor. He just took a head coach job so I doubt he would want to leave right away.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Since K2 is really the OC, I'm sure the position could be attractive to a young, aspiring offensive mind who would welcome the opportunity to learn under an innovative approach. I wouldn't expect anyone even remotely experienced as an OC to be interested.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Since K2 is really the OC, I'm sure the position could be attractive to a young, aspiring offensive mind who would welcome the opportunity to learn under an innovative approach. I wouldn't expect anyone even remotely experienced as an OC to be interested.

I think an experienced guy may want the position to be able to learn from KK. It improves their brand.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything new on the OC position. Seems like things have stalled a bit. Looks like Flip and McAdoo are the only two still being considered right now.

Joe Philbin is also under consideration per McManaman.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Philbin doesn't do much for me other than an older guy (57) with HC experience.

Which is the preference according to reports. Whomever is OC is not going to be calling plays and their primary job is helping integrate NFL experience into the playbook.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Flip may want to go to a team where he can be the OC and actually call plays.
He can call plays in 2020 at earliest since most openings are already filled. Maybe he'll never call plays in the NFL again. If I'm an OC like JDF and just failed after being labeled a savior prematurely, I'd do anything to get a job right now and prove that I'm the real deal.

Not that I badly want JDF to join KK's staff. Would be a decent hire, but nothing to get extremely excited about.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
still chatting with folks:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all assume these guys might not want to be here or just want to explore other options. I would like to think 2K tells keim he doesn’t like so and so and to keep interviewing others.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We all assume these guys might not want to be here or just want to explore other options. I would like to think 2K tells keim he doesn’t like so and so and to keep interviewing others.
IMO...its difficult to ask a guy to put in all the work and get none of the glory....thats what we are doing by asking them to work for a HC who will be calling the plays.
not to mention, they are not installing their own offense, but helping K2 design and install his offense.
There are a few reasons why OC is a thankless job on this staff and finding a guy willing to run with it may be hard to do.
my guess is, we are a plan B for a few guys but they would prefer an traditional OC position where they can install their own offense and call plays on sunday.... I mean, calling plays, the chess match... thats kinda the payoff for all the work.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
It seems there hasn't been a candidate who was willing to offer what KK looks for. NFL is full of big ego guys who probably don't want to be in the position of being OC of an alien offense while not even calling plays.

But think of it this way: Most OC jobs are long gone, not many openings out there. So if you really want to keep your name hot in NFL circles, this is a decent opportunity. If KK's offense is even a moderate success, you will be a hot commodity anyway, even if you didn't call plays and it's not even "your" offense. That's how coaching trees are formed. Hence McVay - coming from the Shanahan tree - suddenly has his own tree if you want so.

Even if KK's offense isn't great right away, improving from rock bottom to a top 20 offense would be viewed as a great accomplishment. The OC could reap the benefits as well. Look at Doug Pederson who is the clearcut mastermind in Philly, yet his OC Reich was recognized and got a HC gig.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It seems there hasn't been a candidate who was willing to offer what KK looks for. NFL is full of big ego guys who probably don't want to be in the position of being OC of an alien offense while not even calling plays.

But think of it this way: Most OC jobs are long gone, not many openings out there. So if you really want to keep your name hot in NFL circles, this is a decent opportunity. If KK's offense is even a moderate success, you will be a hot commodity anyway, even if you didn't call plays and it's not even "your" offense. That's how coaching trees are formed. Hence McVay - coming from the Shanahan tree - suddenly has his own tree if you want so.

Even if KK's offense isn't great right away, improving from rock bottom to a top 20 offense would be viewed as a great accomplishment. The OC could reap the benefits as well. Look at Doug Pederson who is the clearcut mastermind in Philly, yet his OC Reich was recognized and got a HC gig.

Agree.
I would have thought a guy like DFlip was a solid candidate. we need a guy who has maybe not been an OC yet,... a poo hot QB coach or something...so the job is seen as a promotion even if they dont have full responsibilities...assuming we go young anyway.
either that or we need an old guy who no longer cares about the glory and is just happy coaching the players.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love this hire if it happens. This would be awesome to have both KK and Defip designing plays. Two young creative minds. I can't wait to see how this offense is next season. I know it will take 5 or 6 games for things to really start coming together but I think we will have a very exciting offense with those two. Plus both of them are very good with quarterbacks so Rosen should improve a lot.
You think if they hire Defillipo we run that trick play the eagles ran in the super bowl & Rosen catches his 1st ever TD pass lol?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm sure the same concepts that make an Air Raid offense will be used. When I watched the Rams play us this year they had the defense on their toes the whole game. Kliff will use the whole field horizontally and vertically to create space and keep the defense spread out.

I'm highly interested to see how it will look and how he intends to use the talent on offense to infuse his coaching philosophy.
They basically run to an open patch of grass or spot depending on what defense is being used, it's a great offense & I often wondered when if ever it would move to the NFL while Hal mumme used it at Kentucky back in the late 90's. He had 1000 yard rushers the 1st two years there, he set up the run by passing the ball, did it the exact opposite of how teams have played in years past. The 4 verticle route play in this offense allows for the wideouts to cut their route off at any point while the defense is on the heels trying to stay with the receivers. Color me excited about it because I've seen it. KK incorporated more of a running game out of it at Texas Tech. It has evolved since Hal mumme brought it to the SEC in the late 90's. Much more potent now than back then & much harder to defend. Lots of different plays to run out of multiple formations.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
QUOTE="Cardsfaninlouky, post: 3877810, member: 15804"]They basically run to an open patch of grass or spot depending on what defense is being used, it's a great offense & I often wondered when if ever it would move to the NFL while Hal mumme used it at Kentucky back in the late 90's. He had 1000 yard rushers the 1st two years there, he set up the run by passing the ball, did it the exact opposite of how teams have played in years past. The 4 verticle route play in this offense allows for the wideouts to cut their route off at any point while the defense is on the heels trying to stay with the receivers. Color me excited about it because I've seen it. KK incorporated more of a running game out of it at Texas Tech. It has evolved since Hal mumme brought it to the SEC in the late 90's. Much more potent now than back then & much harder to defend. Lots of different plays to run out of multiple formations.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to say, welcome, and I've enjoyed your posts...very informative :)

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lets put to rest the notion, Cardinals got the OC they were planning to hire all along.

It is likely DeFilippo was not on their list when K2 was hired.

Why? Three out of eight teams with new head coaches has filled their offensive coordinator-spot. One of them is the Buccaneers, and obviously the Cards were not interested in either Harold Goodwin or Byron Leftwich, while the Cards didn’t even request interviews (at least not reportedly) with the other two (Nathaniel Hackett and Todd Monken). In other words, of the candidates the Cardinals has interviewed for the position only Steve Sarkisian has been hired elsewhere, so I don’t see how anyone can say they lost out on “their guy”.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why? Three out of eight teams with new head coaches has filled their offensive coordinator-spot. One of them is the Buccaneers, and obviously the Cards were not interested in either Harold Goodwin or Byron Leftwich, while the Cards didn’t even request interviews (at least not reportedly) with the other two (Nathaniel Hackett and Todd Monken). In other words, of the candidates the Cardinals has interviewed for the position only Steve Sarkisian has been hired elsewhere, so I don’t see how anyone can say they lost out on “their guy”.

Gandhi, this question has been answered in the last 20 minutes. Cardinals are onto their 3rd option and gosh fans don't know how many more rejections were there. It is what is. Hopefully they unearth some gold.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard