The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the actions are unrelated. This has more to do with the history between McCaw and the Warriors. I suspect the Cavs did an agent a favor and signed him to what was really nothing more than a bogus contract so that Golden State would have to let him go.

I was just reading up on this and from what I've seen people suspect they offered McCaw more than they ever intended on paying him. They put an out clause in the contract that meant they could waive him prior to January 7th and be off the hook entirely for the deal they signed him to, which was 2 years and $6 million in total salary. McCaw turned down a 2 year/$5.2 million dollar deal from the Warriors this offseason so it's hard to believe he waited that long for $800 thousand over 2 years, especially when he missed out on a good amount by missing the first couple of months this season. Apparently the out clause was all a way of screwing the Warriors though because the Cavs always intended on waiving him, so his rights wouldn't belong to Golden State anymore after they declined to match and after being waived by the Cavs he becomes an unrestricted free agent. Where it gets weird though is the Cavs apparently want to resign him but for less money than the initial offer, the one that Golden State refused to match, so the plan was always to waive him and get his rights away from the Warriors and then sign him for around the league minimum. Who knows why McCaw would be ok with that but who knows. Apparently more will come out soon. Here's an article that details most everything that's happened.

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/1/8/1...contract-warriors-cavaliers-free-agency-petty

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the risk of jinxing him, it looks like Klay Thompson has his 3 point shot back.

He had 43 points last night, and dribbled exactly 4 times the whole game.

20 for his last 39 from 3 including 7 of 16 last night, still only at .356, he's never shot below 40% from 3 in an NBA season, worst ever was .401, but he appears to have his mojo back.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giannis with a bad pass or a perfectly timed throw, you be the judge.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no one there but Harden. This should minimally be a flagrant foul and a fine.

It can't get much worse than that.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
He was trying to get the ball to #13 (Brogdon, I think) in the corner. He was in line behind Harden, behind the three point line. You can see him in the lower right-hand corner. I didn't catch it until I played it the second time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was trying to get the ball to #13 (Brogdon, I think) in the corner. He was in line behind Harden, behind the three point line. You can see him in the lower right-hand corner. I didn't catch it until I played it the second time.

Good catch. It tempers my reaction to it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no one there but Harden. This should minimally be a flagrant foul and a fine.

I have a hard time believing he was purposefully trying to hit Harden. There was a player in the corner he was trying to pass to, but a one-handed overhead pass like that is hard to control.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing he was purposefully trying to hit Harden. There was a player in the corner he was trying to pass to, but a one-handed overhead pass like that is hard to control.
Yep and he probably put some extra heat on it to try and get it by Harden before he could react. Just didn't have enough control on it and missed his mark into Harden's face.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

After @SirStefan32 pointed out Brogdon was in the corner it changed my initial reaction. I missed it the first time around.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

What are you talking about? There was a Buck standing at the three point line in the corner. Harden was between that guy and Giannis.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ll say this, if Giannis was trying to hit harden that’s an amazing throw. I mean a sweeping one armed throw that distance right into a dudes noggin?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Harden seems to get the worst of em. I remember a long time ago when was with OKC, Ron Artest him with a brutal elbow to the head.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Harden’s durability is impressive though because he doesn’t miss any games despite it all.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

12 assists to just 1 turnover. A dunk nearly over 3 Wolves players. Pretty incredible stuff.

He’s second in votes for the All Star game as well among wing players and would be the first rookie to make it to the AS game since Blake Griffin if he gets in after all the votes are tallied up.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I was high on Luka coming out but I didn’t see this type of production right away. He’s nearly averaging 20/7/5 and shooting better from 3 than he did in Europe. Kid’s competitive spirit can’t be measured.

Yeah, I figured he would be competent initially and then good in his second year. I did not expect this until his third year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured he would be competent initially and then good in his second year. I did not expect this until his third year.
Yeah I expected him to be good. And I expected him to be more polished than most rookies. But I had no idea he’s be this good this fast.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't understand how he isn't struggling more because of the difference in athleticism of his opponents. Players in Europe and players in the NBA are on like two different planets when it comes to athleticism and it's amazing to me that it's not affecting Doncic (who isn't some kind of athletic freak like Porzingis or anything either).

Thank god Sacramento passed on him because it would just completely suck to have to play this kid 4 times every season.
Euroleague play is much more congested going to the hoop and while the NBA is more athletic it is also more spread out. On top of that a lot of players in the USA and North America in general tend to rely more on their athleticism earlier in their career rather than subtle fakes and hesitations. Luka is already a master of those things and it is a big part of why he gets where he wants to go as well as draws a lot of fouls.

Another factor to consider is that the Euroleague doesn't have the new "freedom of movement" (or whatever they are called) rules in the NBA which make it easier to get where you want to go around the court and easier to draw fouls. We have seen in the games where the refs have allowed us to get kind of physical with him he struggled, but when they call the ticky tack stuff than his game opens up.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose