Kliff Kingsbury may walk away from USC

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You aren't wrong here, but the landscape of college ball is COMPLETELY different now, especially from a recruiting standpoint. Damn near impossible to turn programs elite now.

definitely true, and expecting Kingsbury to turn that program elite would have been a herculean task. My issue is he didn't even turn them above average... or really even into an average program. Zero winning records within conference and only two winning records in 5 (or is 6) years just doesn't bowl me over.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
definitely true, and expecting Kingsbury to turn that program elite would have been a herculean task. My issue is he didn't even turn them above average... or really even into an average program. Zero winning records within conference and only two winning records in 5 (or is 6) years just doesn't bowl me over.

You are hiring KK for his elite offense. You are expecting him to delegate like McVay and get a solid DC to run that side of the ball.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
You are hiring KK for his elite offense. You are expecting him to delegate like McVay and get a solid DC to run that side of the ball.

Not to mention, KK will no longer be spending a bunch of his time recruiting sub par talent while competing with the likes of UT, Oklahoma, and the rest of college football to come to Lubbock. Nobody would succeed there, no matter how great of a head coach you are.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not to mention, KK will no longer be spending a bunch of his time recruiting sub par talent while competing with the likes of UT, Oklahoma, and the rest of college football to come to Lubbock. Nobody would succeed there, no matter how great of a head coach you are.
Except Leach did succeed there.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I’m just waiting for everyone to freak out when KK signs with the J-E-T-S jets jets jets :lol::thud:

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am intrigued by KK as head coach, but as stated by others, the DC and his staff need to be seasoned NFL coaches to take pressure off and let him focus on one side of the ball. Bowles has been mentioned a lot, but he maybe going to Tampa. Any other good DCs out there

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can someone explain why GM's are tripping over each other to interview Kingsbury all the sudden? I don't understand what he has done to warrant anyone considering him a strong NFL HC candidate right now. He had a decent offense at TT where they basically play vs air in the B12 but that didn't translate to wins. Please enlighten me why I shouldn't feel like we once again got left with scraps if we hire him?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can someone explain why GM's are tripping over each other to interview Kingsbury all the sudden? I don't understand what he has done to warrant anyone considering him a strong NFL HC candidate right now. He had a decent offense at TT where they basically play vs air in the B12 but that didn't translate to wins. Please enlighten me why I shouldn't feel like we once again got left with scraps if we hire him?

Kliff lives in the same zip code as Sean McVay

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

It’s the Patrick Mahomes effect, he turned a 3 star HS recruit in to a NFL MVP candidate. Plus it doesn’t hurt that offenses are what everyone is looking for in today’s NFL

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i get it, but at least McVay was a wiz kid at the NFL level.

It's just a bit of a mystery to me how he's a hot name at the pro level when he couldn't even get another HC coaching job.

I feel like he might be the next version of Koetter to go down in the Failing Up HOF.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It’s the Patrick Mahomes effect, he turned a 3 star HS recruit in to a NFL MVP candidate. Plus it doesn’t help that offenses are what everyone is looking for in today’s NFL
Mahomes wasn't even a QB recruit by anyone other than Texas Tech...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mahomes wasn't even a QB recruit by anyone other than Texas Tech...

So one smart or dumb luck move is all the sample size needed to crown him king of offensive minds and someone who can run be a pro HC? I thought the Wilks hire was insanely strange, but this one seems like just as likely to be a one and done as a long term successful HC.

I'm not a fan of taking college coaches and making them HCs without prior NFL coaching experience. This guy's coaching tree is weak. Please get us someone who comes from a current and successful NFL lineage with an offensive mind. I especially don't want a failed B12 castoff to be our HC. It would be one thing for him to get become our OC, but HC?

Reactions: HGC

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Conspiracy theory...

KK needs a veteran HC/DC

Greg Schiano - C - Player
Ohio State coach Ryan Day announced DC Greg Schiano is leaving the school to pursue a job in the NFL.

Schiano, 52, has been at OSU for the last three seasons and was rumored to be leaving the school around this time last year for a job with the Patriots. He decided to stay but is now aiming to make the leap back to the pros after being fired as the Bucs' head coach in 2013. Schiano hasn't been publicly linked to any NFL gigs as of yet, but he must have something up his sleeve.

**also adding Nick Bosa?
As I recall - Schiano turned a chronically subpar Rutgers squad into a consistently good, competitive college football team - his defense was especially solid. A few of his players (including Sanu and the McCourty bros) made their way onto NFL rosters. I wouldn't be unhappy with Schiano as DC.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not Schiano, no way. He inheritted a top 10 D at OSU and in 2017 is was bad and in 2018 it was dog ****. Despite being loaded with talent it made Mac teams look good.

God help us if we end up with Kingsbury and Schiano... Get ready for another generation of bad Cards football.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Apparently Kingsbury resigned. This obviously means Keim went drinking with him and decided that handling his liquor was a good indicator if he could be a great fit for the org. That or we tricked the Jets into thinking he was awesome and they will get him leaving less competition for a great HC.

Maybe Keim is playing 4D chess here. /S

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Apparently Kingsbury resigned. This obviously means Keim went drinking with him and decided that handling his liquor was a good indicator if he could be a great fit for the org. That or we tricked the Jets into thinking he was awesome and they will get him leaving less competition for a great HC.

Maybe Keim is playing 4D chess here. /S
Has Kliff and MB been on a beach together lately?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind Pagano for DC at all.

The problem with Williams is if the Browns have a HC in mind that goes deep in to the playoffs they may not let Williams interview with anyone until that new HC has a chance to decide to keep him or not. That might mean waiting until after the Super Bowl to fill the DC position and if the Cards go Kingsbury they need that experienced DC right away on his staff.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
If that bridge that Ray Horton blazed on his way out of Cards headquarters is repairable he'd be great at DC again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard