Sarver is threatening to move the Suns to Seattle or Las Vegas

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I R O N Y

I'll be damned. Here is the letter I sent to the AzRepublic "My Turn" column yesterday, hoping that it would be printed in the next few days.

Including the quote, "I wouldn't be surprised if he is setting up the franchise to move them out of Arizona."

You must be registered for see images attach

It just seemed so obvious.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:(Hopefully the team is still there in February(my birthday)...I’m going to Warriors/Suns game.:cool:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
:(Hopefully the team is still there in February(my birthday)...I’m going to Warriors/Suns game.:cool:

The team will be here at least through the current term of the lease (up to the opt-out if the renovation deal is not approved). After that, well, it's anyone's guess?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Who was saying all summer that Sarver is still a pain in the ass, meddles in the GMs role, and is keeping this team from having success?

I forget who that was
I mean you're right of course, but kinda odd to take a victory lap on something that has been pretty obvious for a decade.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Arena vote officially has been continued to January 23rd, and there will be five public meetings in the interim. I suggest that as many of us as possible attend at least one of these and make public comments. My suggestion for a theme: If the city is going to commit financially to the team, the Managing General Partner of the team needs to be committed to the city and to having the team run properly as a basketball franchise. I am with BC867: Condition approval of the arena deal (and perhaps even throw in a little extra city money) on a change of Managing General Partner and on hiring of an autonomous President of Basketball Operations.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Arena vote officially has been continued to January 23rd, and there will be five public meetings in the interim. I suggest that as many of us as possible attend at least one of these and make public comments. My suggestion for a theme: If the city is going to commit financially to the team, the Managing General Partner of the team needs to be committed to the city and to having the team run properly as a basketball franchise. I am with BC867: Condition approval of the arena deal (and perhaps even throw in a little extra city money) on a change of Managing General Partner and on hiring of an autonomous President of Basketball Operations.
This is nice in theory and all, but I would have to imagine that Sarver's attorneys have language in their operating agreement that would prevent or make it extremely difficult for the the limited partners to remove him from his role. And even if there was a way, it would have to be up to those partners (who Sarver himself likely secured and has business/personal relationships with) to make such a move not the city.

The only way Sarver can likely be forcefully removed would be from Adam Silver and the 29 other NBA franchises. The good news is I think it could be reaching that point especially since we are looking likely at being one of the worst teams in NBA history this year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I will not change teams. If the Suns move I will probably give up NBA basketball. All these years of rooting for the Suns will turn to dust. Even the rumor of the Suns leaving makes it an even more dismal situation.
Yup same. I’ll be greatly saddened but it will likely be the end of the nba for me. I’ll pour myself back into college hoops.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is amazing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Gambo just said that if people would vote for an upgrade if Sarver was not part of the team.

If someone can actually make that case to the board of Governors, maybe BC's pipe dream would have some legs. I wonder if the City Counsel could do that. We approve the upgrade with the condition that Robert Sarver is replaced as the Managing General Partner. He can remain an owner, he just cannot remain the managing owner. If it does go to a referendum, the proposition would have a lot more chance of passing.
Now that would be awesome.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
next game is tomorrow night, on national television on TNT. i hope they do this, and i hope the TV mics pick it up. then i hope the announcers let the sound of that roll for a solid 15 seconds and reply with "enough said."
What would be more impactful is if 50,000 people showed up outside of the stadium with signs to protest Sarver. That would get coverage for sure.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is amazing.
Oh *****! If the blue hairs are mobilizing in this in AZ Sarver night really be in trouble. You don’t mess with that population in AZ!

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
would be such a slap in the face to sarver if seattle came out and said they didn't want the suns, but an expansion team. bye bye leverage

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is nice in theory and all, but I would have to imagine that Sarver's attorneys have language in their operating agreement that would prevent or make it extremely difficult for the the limited partners to remove him from his role. And even if there was a way, it would have to be up to those partners (who Sarver himself likely secured and has business/personal relationships with) to make such a move not the city.

The only way Sarver can likely be forcefully removed would be from Adam Silver and the 29 other NBA franchises. The good news is I think it could be reaching that point especially since we are looking likely at being one of the worst teams in NBA history this year.

Oh, there is no way Sarver can be forcibly removed under the ownership group's governing documents. The key would be to incentivize Sarver's voluntary resignation as Managing General Partner. That is why I say give them the following options:

1. Keep the current ownership and management structure, in which event the arena deal is rejected; or

2. Have Sarver step down as Managing General Partner and replaced with one of the ownership group, hire an autonomous President of Basketball Operations, and the arena deal is approved with some additional city funds thrown in.

If the ownership group chooses option 1 and decides to move the team or continue to run it into the ground, we are likely better off without the Suns, in my opinion.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
would be such a slap in the face to sarver if seattle came out and said they didn't want the suns, but an expansion team. bye bye leverage

I would be shocked is there was any interest in the team with Sarver attached as the lead.

If they sold a stake and gave controlling interest to someone local, I could see it.

With the history of owners up there, I don't think Sarver would play well or have any shot to work out a deal with the local groups.

Vegas could be a different story

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh *****! If the blue hairs are mobilizing in this in AZ Sarver night really be in trouble. You don’t mess with that population in AZ!

However, I think a good portion of this population would prefer the Suns leave.

It's all about saving tax dollars wherever they can.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don't consider us even having a team right now. All this team does is make us miserable.

I'm not there with you at all. But I will admit I stopped watching the Suns for about 5 years, and only started watching them again the last year and a half, so perhaps my break is what is making the current situation more tolerable.

I actually still enjoy the games this season. I much prefer watching young guys with potential who lose consistently to a team of old mediocre veterans with no hope of real contention ever.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At the end of the day, if a team wants to move, they generally move. When was the last time a league blocked a move? MLS with the Columbus Crew sort of, but that league is single entity and they gave Austin an expansion team. Pretty much if American sports teams wanna go, they go.

Kings had one foot out the door but couldn't get league approval. Maloofs ended up having to sell the team and the new owner was able to get approval from the city for a new arena. The biggest investors wanted to move to Seattle but the league pushed to get someone who would keep the team in Sacramento.

I don't think it's likely but it's not unprecedented.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There can be no disputing the need for renovations in the arena. It absolutely needs to be done. And the City of Phoenix is the owner. So, are you going to let it fall into disrepair and decay or keep it up? In principle, Sarver is right about the arena and its needs. I am against public funds for private sports franchises, but the city made its decision on that long ago. If the city does not want to maintain the facility, it should not own it. I am sure they could find a private buyer.

He is just a horrible owner and terrible with his PR and timing.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This just went national. The vote postponement is on ESPN. I hope the narrative turns to Sarver and his destruction of one of the most successful franchises in pro sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Hope they resolve it quick. This BS certainly won't help attract players.

Seems like this threat is the exact opposite of what Sarver should have done, so I guess we should not be surprised. He will need public support for this project and this won't help.

Having said that, the fact the city is thinking of not renovating shows they are idiots. I'm sure a break down of the revenue generated by the arena will offset the cost of the remodel. The suns are only part of the equation. There are numerous events and other things to consider.