Robin Hood

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robin Hood

Release date: November 21, 2018
Studio: Summit Entertainment (Lionsgate)
Director: Otto Bathurst
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for extended sequences of violence and action, and some suggestive references)
Screenwriter: Ben Chandler and David James Kelly.
Genre: Action, Adventure

Starring: Taron Egerton, Eve Hewson, Jamie Foxx, Jamie Dornan, Paul Anderson, Ben Mendelsohn, Tim Minchin

Plot Summary: A war-hardened Crusader and a Moorish commander mount an audacious revolt against the corrupt English crown in a thrilling action-adventure. Packed with gritty battlefield exploits, mind-blowing fight choreography, and a timeless romance, "Robin Hood" is a never before seen story of how Robin Hood became the icon and legend as we know him today.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This looks horrible

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not joining the "I hate all re-makes bandwagon" but the movie and tv industry needs to put Robin Hood, the Arthurian legend, Earp vs Clantons, King Kong, Tarzan and a few other oft-repeated stories to bed.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not joining the "I hate all re-makes bandwagon" but the movie and tv industry needs to put Robin Hood, the Arthurian legend, Earp vs Clantons, King Kong, Tarzan and a few other oft-repeated stories to bed.
Here’s the million dollar question: why? Let’s generalize and say these properties make money. What other reason is there to stop making them? And you not liking them probably is not the best reason. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the million dollar question: why? Let’s generalize and say these properties make money. What other reason is there to stop making them? And you not liking them probably is not the best reason. :)

And you've just summed up why I'm not on the anti-remakes bandwagon. I understand they are in it to make money. But these are tired stories. I don't usually check the box office numbers but have they typically been that successful? I know for myself, I've avoided so many entrants into the Arthurian legend that I can't even begin to guess what separates one project from another.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TV can still get away with it if they shrink some of these stories down to high-school -reimaginings on the CW network as long as the kids are pretty/diverse enough... or if you can get Costner to do a mini-series for TV for one of the old Westerns.

But you're dead on the money as far as theatrical is concerned.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you've just summed up why I'm not on the anti-remakes bandwagon. I understand they are in it to make money. But these are tired stories. I don't usually check the box office numbers but have they typically been that successful? I know for myself, I've avoided so many entrants into the Arthurian legend that I can't even begin to guess what separates one project from another.

Not lately, no. In fact, a lot of those movies - The Lone Ranger, King Arthur, and this Robin Hood all either went down or will go down as the biggest flops of the year for their respective studios, all coming in the last five years. Tarzan was also supposed to start a franchise and it cratered hard as well.

The biggest problem with making most of those movies is actually the amount of money spent in making them. They keep making these HUGE tentpoles out of those old tired stories, but the product more often than not are like TV pilots for a new series of movies where the beloved character isn't REALLY Arthur, Hood or Ranger until the end of the movie and just wait for the sequel! Only problem is the first movie usually stinks outloud and costs so much the sequel and character you were expecting in the first place never really shows up on screen.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not lately, no. In fact, a lot of those movies - The Lone Ranger, King Arthur, and this Robin Hood all either went down or will go down as the biggest flops of the year for their respective studios, all coming in the last five years. Tarzan was also supposed to start a franchise and it cratered hard as well.

The biggest problem with making most of those movies is actually the amount of money spent in making them. They keep making these HUGE tentpoles out of those old tired stories, but the product more often than not are like TV pilots for a new series of movies where the beloved character isn't REALLY Arthur, Hood or Ranger until the end of the movie and just wait for the sequel! Only problem is the first movie usually stinks outloud and costs so much the sequel and character you were expecting in the first place never really shows up on screen.

Yeah, as I said, I don't follow the numbers but I was under the impression that many of them were flops or at least disappointing at the Box Office. Every now and then one of them will grab me but I think the first Banderas Zorro or Tombstone were probably the last ones I spent money on and didn't want a refund.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, as I said, I don't follow the numbers but I was under the impression that many of them were flops or at least disappointing at the Box Office. Every now and then one of them will grab me but I think the first Banderas Zorro or Tombstone were probably the last ones I spent money on and didn't want a refund.
I also think westerns are dying. As kids we had such limited choice with television that we happily watched The Lone Ranger, the Cisco Kid, Big Valley, The Wild Wild West, etc. Even if they were old black and white reruns. So cowboys were cool. Our 7 and 8 year old have so many channels and YouTube that they can always find what they want and don’t ever have to settle for something else. And we might think we weren’t settling for those cowboy shows, but 5, 6, 7 and 8 year old us would have probably taken a cartoon 90% of the time over those cowboy shows given the wide choice the kids have today. Cowboys just aren’t relevant to kids today. Maybe the only cowboy they know is woody from toy story.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I also think westerns are dying. As kids we had such limited choice with television that we happily watched The Lone Ranger, the Cisco Kid, Big Valley, The Wild Wild West, etc. Even if they were old black and white reruns. So cowboys were cool. Our 7 and 8 year old have so many channels and YouTube that they can always find what they want and don’t ever have to settle for something else. And we might think we weren’t settling for those cowboy shows, but 5, 6, 7 and 8 year old us would have probably taken a cartoon 90% of the time over those cowboy shows given the wide choice the kids have today. Cowboys just aren’t relevant to kids today. Maybe the only cowboy they know is woody from toy story.
Westerns have been dead for a long time already.

Reaction score

I still love watching reruns of the Rifleman & Bonanza.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
True. Both shows also taught good moral values.
Most westerns did. It’s lost. My boys watch something called Dude Perfect on YouTube now. It’s entertaining enough. But even though the guys on it are supposedly good Christians the show is full of putting each other down and a recurring character called “The Rage Monster” where the most successful “athlete” of the group routinely throws a ridiculous and destructive temper tantrum whenever he fails or doesn’t get what he wants. One of my boys said the other day “Rage Monster is my favorite” - he’s also the boy who has a problem with being a good sport. It’s made me double think what I thought was harmless entertainment.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone saw it, but I was unfortunate enough to watch it last night. Terrible.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone saw it, but I was unfortunate enough to watch it last night. Terrible.

I actually paid to see it and it was terrible lol