Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robin Hood

Release Date: May 14, 2010
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Ridley Scott
Screenwriter: Ethan Reiff, Cyrus Voris, Brian Helgeland, Paul Webb, Tom Stoppard
Genre: Action, Adventure
MPAA Rating: Not Available

Starring: Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, William Hurt, Matthew Macfadyen, Mark Strong, Oscar Isaac, Lea Seydoux, Scott Grimes, Kevin Durand, Alan Doyle, Danny Huston, Max von Sydow

Plot Summary: Oscar winner Russell Crowe stars as the legendary figure known by generations as "Robin Hood," whose exploits have endured in popular mythology and ignited the imagination of those who share his spirit of adventure and righteousness. In 13th century England, Robin and his band of marauders confront corruption in a local village and lead an uprising against the crown that will forever alter the balance of world power. And whether thief or hero, one man from humble beginnings will become an eternal symbol of freedom for his people.

The untitled Robin Hood adventure chronicles the life of an expert archer, previously interested only in self-preservation, from his service in King Richard's army against the French. Upon Richard's death, Robin travels to Nottingham, a town suffering from the corruption of a despotic sheriff and crippling taxation, where he falls for the spirited widow Lady Marion (Oscar winner Cate Blanchett), a woman skeptical of the identity and motivations of this crusader from the forest. Hoping to earn the hand of Maid Marion and salvage the village, Robin assembles a gang whose lethal mercenary skills are matched only by its appetite for life. Together, they begin preying on the indulgent upper class to correct injustices under the sheriff.

With their country weakened from decades of war, embattled from the ineffective rule of the new king and vulnerable to insurgencies from within and threats from afar, Robin and his men heed a call to ever greater adventure. This unlikeliest of heroes and his allies set off to protect their country from slipping into bloody civil war and return glory to England once more.

You must be registered for see images attach

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm saying this about yet another Robin Hood movie, but I'm already sold based on director and lead.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Well, at least Crowe's own accent is closer to British than Kevin Costner's...LOL

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gladiator is one of my all time faves, so I'm all for this.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw the commercial for this during the SuperBowl.. Looks cool.. I wanna see this..

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The untitled Robin Hood adventure chronicles the life of an expert sniper, previously interested only in self-preservation, from his service in the army against the Iraqi. After being released under DADT, Robin travels to Phoenix, a city suffering from the corruption of a despotic sheriff and a moronic legislature, where he falls for the spirited drag queen Lady Marion (Oscar winner RuPaul), a man skeptical of the identity and motivations of this crusader from the forest. Hoping to earn the hand of Lady Marion and salvage the village, Robin assembles a gang whose lethal mercenary skills are matched only by its appetite for life. Together, they begin preying on the indulgent upper class to correct injustices under the sheriff.

Now this is the version they should make :D

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The untitled Robin Hood adventure chronicles the life of an expert sniper, previously interested only in self-preservation, from his service in the army against the Iraqi. After being released under DADT, Robin travels to Phoenix, a city suffering from the corruption of a despotic sheriff and a moronic legislature, where he falls for the spirited drag queen Lady Marion (Oscar winner RuPaul), a man skeptical of the identity and motivations of this crusader from the forest. Hoping to earn the hand of Lady Marion and salvage the village, Robin assembles a gang whose lethal mercenary skills are matched only by its appetite for life. Together, they begin preying on the indulgent upper class to correct injustices under the sheriff.

Now this is the version they should make :D

Only problem with your version is Marion got traded to the Heat 2 years ago.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an enjoyable movie that clearly has it's flaws. However if you can get past them it's a very good popcorn movie and is well worth seeing.

It was an interesting take on the Robin Hood story. In fact initially you could barely tell it was Robin Hood if it weren't for the characters having the recognizable names.

Think of the concept of Batman Begins and move it to the Robin Hood theme. I would have titled this movie "Robin Hood Begins". However if I were to describe this movie I would call it more Braveheart than Robin Hood for most of the movie. It's not until the very end of the movie that you recognize Robin Hood as the character that we all know well.

I did think that the casting worked and the look fit the period well.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an enjoyable movie that clearly has it's flaws. However if you can get past them it's a very good popcorn movie and is well worth seeing.

It was an interesting take on the Robin Hood story. In fact initially you could barely tell it was Robin Hood if it weren't for the characters having the recognizable names.

Think of the concept of Batman Begins and move it to the Robin Hood theme. I would have titled this movie "Robin Hood Begins". However if I were to describe this movie I would call it more Braveheart than Robin Hood for most of the movie. It's not until the very end of the movie that you recognize Robin Hood as the character that we all know well.

I did think that the casting worked and the look fit the period well.

SOLD! I was on the fence about this movie until just now.. thanks

AZZenny

Reaction score
Robin Hood with Richard Greene
You must be registered for see images attach
was my #1 childhood TV hero. I even took archery in college for a semester just because of it.

I am totally going to pass on fat smug Russell Crowe. I could see him maybe as Friar Tuck.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back. Very very enjoyable movie. Definitely Robin Hood from a whole other angle. Its almost like a prequel the way it was done and it ends right before the outlawish type of antics start.

The acting all the way around was VERY solid. But I guess you should expect that with Crowe, Blanchet, Sydow and William Hurt!

Good stuff!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This movie was incredible! I had huge doubts, which lasted through the beginning of the movie, but I soon picked up what they were doing with this film. Not at all a traditional Robin Hood movie, it was a fabulous blend of actual history, legend, and Hollywood make-believe.

I mean, you had everything from Richard's death (it was even at the hands of a nobody--a boy actually--by crossbow while he besieged a castle in france) to the Magna Carta issue.

Loved it! It was different and, fun and action-packed, had a great story and, most important, it kept you guessing. Loved it!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This movie was incredible! I had huge doubts, which lasted through the beginning of the movie, but I soon picked up what they were doing with this film. Not at all a traditional Robin Hood movie, it was a fabulous blend of actual history, legend, and Hollywood make-believe.

I mean, you had everything from Richard's death (it was even at the hands of a nobody--a boy actually--by crossbow while he besieged a castle in france) to the Magna Carta issue.

Loved it! It was different and, fun and action-packed, had a great story and, most important, it kept you guessing. Loved it!
Ahem, your spoiler is wrong:

It wasn't a boy, it was a cook that was older. :D

It was different and it was action-packed. But did I love it? No. I just know there's a director's cut somewhere in there. I HATE that they had to make this PG-13. This is a movie where people use swords, knives, giant hammers and arrows--and there was virtually NO blood anywhere.

It just felt that something was missing. This was certainly better than the theatrical version of Kingdom of Heaven, but not quite as good as the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven. I REALLY wish Ridley does an unrated Director's Cut.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Ahem, my spoiler is right, actually :D

it was even at the hands of a nobody--a boy actually--by crossbow... The actually points out the real-life individual, not the movie individual. I didn't have to point this out, but I wanted to play smart ass and be silly ;)

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Ridley Scott knows how to make an enjoyable movie. This left me wanting more since we saw so little of Robin Hood. It seemed like a set-up for the next movie which I would hope is amazing.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I liked this movie but it left me wanting more. Is that a good or a bad thing? I guess that depends if they plan on giving us more. This was a prequel to the traditional story.

I read someone say that this was the "Batman Begins" version of the Robin Hood legend. I would agree. Now we need the "Dark Knight" version to follow it up. That would be awesome.

In the end, this movie will only satisfy me if it is part of a larger vision by Ridley Scott. If this is all that I am going to get, I will say it is interesting, but in no way a classic.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave