OL-Injuries or lack of talent?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Since the start of the season, no matter the OC, the OL has not been busting open huge holes like previously for David Johnson. Is this a product of injuries along the OL? Or do we need to draft new OL in the upcoming draft? Will the OL get better next season if injured players come back?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Injuries haven't helped. Losing Shipley before the season started wasn't ideal. However even with the Cardinals other 4 starters out there they have been suspect.

IMO LG and RT should be a priority this offseason as well as depth at T and G.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Can`t play 100 % when you are not completely healthy.Cards do have some brutal luck with OLINE injuries.Too early to write off Pugh.I think Iupati is nearly finished.Andre Smith..should be a backup .OLINE has to be a priority in the next draft.Take Best player available RD 1 then try and fix the OLINE.

Reaction score
Iupati will probably be gone next year & they'll move Pugh to LG. He's a better player at LG than RG. So we'll need a RT, RG, CB, TE, LB, LB, & LB next year.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So basically, based on your guys expertise, we need a serious upgrade through draft or trades, or free agency. I also think the woes of the Cards on offense are tied to OL first, then the need for a WR that can stretch the field who can actually catch the ball!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can`t play 100 % when you are not completely healthy.Cards do have some brutal luck with OLINE injuries.Too early to write off Pugh.I think Iupati is nearly finished.Andre Smith..should be a backup .OLINE has to be a priority in the next draft.Take Best player available RD 1 then try and fix the OLINE.

I don't think it's totally bad luck though. Hump injury last year was bad luck, but Pugh and Iupati have been injured for years, Iupati hasn't played a full season in his last 6 and 8 over his last 2 years total(games). Pugh has been hurt 5 of his 6 years in the NFL, first year played 16 games hasn't passed 14 since.

Shipley was bad luck too of course.

thightower34

Rookie
Reaction score
The Cardinals draft and sign O line free agents every year and, other than Mason Cole, have gotten either poor players or above average players that are injury prone. A great offensive line solves a lot of problems. Something the Cardinals have failed produce year after year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

it's not bad luck when perpetually injured guys get injured. it's a lack of foresight.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Injuries haven't helped. Losing Shipley before the season started wasn't ideal. However even with the Cardinals other 4 starters out there they have been suspect.

IMO LG and RT should be a priority this offseason as well as depth at T and G.
When losing Shipley is considered a bad thing, that should tell you all you need to know about the OL.

The Cards have 2, possibly 3 if Pugh can ever stay healthy, pieces in place on the OL in DJ and Cole. A TE that can block wouldn't be a bad thing either. Just don't take one in round 2 like they did with Niklas.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim signed both RG Pugh and RT A. Smith this past off season. Both had a history of injuries. That is plain dumb.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going by pro football focus

Pugh was an awful signing. He has not even played at an average level once, and we signed him to a big contract.

Cole has also been one of the worst centers in the league, he may get better since it his rookie season.

Humphries has been about average. Wetzel actually is our second best lineman as pathetic as that is.

So the truth is we have one average olineman, and everyone else stinks.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Keims #1 failing is the o line

Will Holden
Cole Toner
Evan Boehm

I dont expect all pros, or even three starters

but i do expect that one or two of those players turn into at least competent back ups

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keims #1 failing is the o line

Will Holden
Cole Toner
Evan Boehm

I dont expect all pros, or even three starters

but i do expect that one or two of those players turn into at least competent back ups
You can throw Dorian Johnson in there too, 4th round pick now on Carolina's PS.

All three are still in the league Toner on SD's active roster and the other 2 on PS's. I wonder what the success rate is for 4th and 5th round Oline picks?

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Surprisingly all 7 Olineman Keim has drafted since 2013 are still in the NFL. 3 are starting. Of course it took 5 Redskins' Olineman on the IR to get Cooper back in the league and starting, but still.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard