Nets/Suns Trade

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would think that Philly would be the most likely to do something. They have Fultz, Ben Simmons, Jeryd Bayless, TJ McConnell, Landry Shamet, Shake Milton. Surely they are not carrying all those players.
I am assuming pecking order goes by season records, which in this case I assume goes to last season, which means we have first selection on waivers?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
October 15 -- Rosters set for NBA Opening Day (5 p.m. ET)

So 24 hours after this any player clearing waivers we snap up? So around the 16th 5 p.m. ET?

I'm guessing the Suns will make a trade earlier rather than wait as teams will want to get something for the players they decide to cut. The Suns will have to show they are not willing to panic though.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
February 7 -- NBA Trade Deadline (3 p.m. ET) Long time from now!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am assuming pecking order goes by season records, which in this case I assume goes to last season, which means we have first selection on waivers?
Yes. I guess that is true.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's not how I am reading it, but of course I could be wrong.

• The amount of the Disabled Player Exception is the lesser of half the injured player’s salary or the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception. Technically, teams get an extra $100,000 of wiggle room if they use their DPE to trade for a player but that is pretty much the deal.
https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/240416/CBA-Encyclopedia-Disabled-Player-Exception
You may be right:

The maximum salary of the replacement player is either 50% of the injured player's salary, or the mid-level exception for a non-taxpaying team, whichever is less. This exception requires an NBA-designated doctor to verify the extent of the injury.

The key here, IMO, is "whichever is less." So your number is probably correct.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Anyone know how long it takes the exception to be approved?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how long it takes the exception to be approved?

Not long, should be done by Friday and if it's not then I would think Monday at the latest. Usually the league reviews it and gets back to the team pretty quick. It can vary depending the injury, or illness, and how long the league doctors take to basically confirm what we said is true. A player needs to be considered out for the season but I think it's actually a certain amount of months. Boston got one for Gordon Hayward last year and there was talk of what happens if he returned. They used that money to sign Greg Monroe. If Hayward had returned early though the only issue would be the roster spot. They would have needed to get back down to 15.

I believe the disabled player exception would also mean Arthur doesn't count against the 15 man roster but I'm not 100% sure on that. I wonder how long the Suns knew this and perhaps tried to use it in a trade. That would help another team a lot more than it will help us.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we'd all like McConnell (at a reasonable price), but I doubt the Sixers let him go without being blown away by the offer until Fultz proves he can actually function.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Tomas Satoransky might be another target.

Satoransky, Meeks for Daniels, Harrison with using the DPE works under the cap.

WAS saves a lot of money because of lux tax savings and gets a competent 3p-shooter backup SG instead of 19 games absence of Meeks due his violation of the drug policy.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tomas Satoransky might be another target.

Satoransky, Meeks for Daniels, Harrison with using the DPE works under the cap.

WAS saves a lot of money because of lux tax savings and gets a competent 3p-shooter backup SG instead of 19 games absence of Meeks due his violation of the drug policy.

I don't think Washington does that trade. He's their #2 point guard and Wall missed half the season last year.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think Washington does that trade. He's their #2 point guard and Wall missed half the season last year.

They acquired Rivers who can play some PG and they will be a repeated luxury tax payers this season, so this move would save more than 10 mil. for them.

Besides, Satoransky barely played in the play-off, so he is far from a key-contributor.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I haven't paid any attention to Satoransky before - my source lists his as a SG but his assists are in PG range and his ast/to is stellar at 3.5 plus he shot .523 from the field and .465 from the arc. If he's not sieve on defense they will hang on tight. Yeah, he's not a big time scorer but shooting and overall offensive efficiency is right up there with the best in the league. He even rebounds well for a guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA