Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is interesting.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Perhaps it could be related to giving the Suns more options with his contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is interesting.

We heard at the trade time that he would be released and that, obviously, hasn't happened. I'm not sure exactly how the rules work on this but maybe he's still on the roster due to whatever his health problem is? When Ryan mentioned it some time ago, it sounded like it was illness rather than injury but it's curious we've heard nothing about whatever it is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We heard at the trade time that he would be released and that, obviously, hasn't happened. I'm not sure exactly how the rules work on this but maybe he's still on the roster due to whatever his health problem is? When Ryan mentioned it some time ago, it sounded like it was illness rather than injury but it's curious we've heard nothing about whatever it is.

I was doing a little reading. There are a number of ways a Disabled Player Exception can work. Here is one of the ways.

See link below.

Teams can use a Disabled Player Exception to sign a free agent, trade for a player or claim someone off waivers as long as they fit the other requirements. This nuance separates the DPE from the MLE and BAE (cannot trade for a player) and trade exceptions (cannot be used to sign a player).

https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/240416/CBA-Encyclopedia-Disabled-Player-Exception

Of course there other reasons as well. I thought Arthur's best value was in a trade but I'm puzzled on the need to apply for an exception.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is interesting.

It basically would give the Suns $3.75 million to fudge in a trade or pick up a waived player. It might be handy in the next few weeks.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is interesting.

I'm no cap guru, but here is what I found:

The maximum salary of the replacement player is either 50% of the injured player's salary, or the mid-level exception for a non-taxpaying team, whichever is less. This exception requires an NBA-designated doctor to verify the extent of the injury.

Does this give us a mid-level exception all of a sudden?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is interesting. If you had $3.75 million free, you could take a player off of another team's roster and if that team is over the lux tax, it saves them almost $8 million. If you throw in a pick, it could be enticing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It basically would give the Suns $3.75 million to fudge in a trade or pick up a waived player. It might be handy in the next few weeks.

I'm no cap guru, but here is what I found:

Does this give us a mid-level exception all of a sudden?

I'm thinking you are both close to right. Also I'm guessing the Suns wouldn't have to trade Arthur to free the money to sign another player.

Previously I thought Arthur would be bought out or traded.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thought is a trade is in the works at least if it is approved. I don't see why it shouldn't.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How exciting would it be to acquire Holmes and a point guard using Dudley's contract.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm thinking you are both close to right. Also I'm guessing the Suns wouldn't have to trade Arthur to free the money to sign another player.

Previously I thought Arthur would be bought out or traded.
The rule is a mid-level exception or half the players salary, whichever is less.

It could net us Tyus Jones, Dinwiddie, TJ McConnell. We could not get one of the Clippers guards with it unless they wanted to give up SGA which is not happening.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The rule is a mid-level exception or half the players salary, whichever is less.

It could net us Tyus Jones, Dinwiddie, TJ McConnell.

"However the Disabled Player Exception is used, that season must be the final season on the new player’s contract. This means no option years or anything of the sort. No remaining years, no exceptions."

That above crosses Jones from the list. Both Dinwiddie and McConnel could be traded for Harrison whose contract is non-guaranteed until 10th of January.

If they are out targets, I just don't see the point of getting the DPE.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It could net us Tyus Jones, Dinwiddie, TJ McConnell. We could not get one of the Clippers guards with it unless they wanted to give up SGA which is not happening.

Nothing wrong with Dinwiddie or McConnell unless the Suns have to part with a first round pick.

Of course the Suns could gamble on re-signing them or use the player to get through the season and hope they can get a starting point guard next summer.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"However the Disabled Player Exception is used, that season must be the final season on the new player’s contract. This means no option years or anything of the sort. No remaining years, no exceptions."

That above crosses Jones from the list. Both Dinwiddie and McConnel could be traded for Harrison whose contract is non-guaranteed until 10th of January.

If they are out targets, I just don't see the point of getting the DPE.
That is a really odd rule. It seems unnecessarily restrictive.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
According to Bobby Marks of ESPN, if the exception is granted Phoenix would have to opportunity to add a player with one year left on their contract at a value $3.73 million.

Which players "available" fit this salary description? I think AZ Sports could have gone farther with the story and said these players x,y,z fit this mold. So that we could conjecture! LOL. Now we have to look up salaries!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which players "available" fit this salary description? I think AZ Sports could have gone farther with the story and said these players x,y,z fit this mold. So that we could conjecture! LOL. Now we have to look up salaries!

JC mentioned a couple of players in Dinwiddie and McConnell.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
JC mentioned a couple of players in Dinwiddie and McConnell.
Makes sense. It would allow us to make a move for someone like them without having to add any players to the trade. A team like Brooklyn, for instance, might be more interested in draft capital at this point than a player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense. It would allow us to make a move for someone like them without having to add any players to the trade. A team like Brooklyn, for instance, might be more interested in draft capital at this point than a player.

I think the problem with these two players is it would likely take more than a 2nd round pick to get it done.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
P

Here are the restrictions.
No more than 3.73 Million.
Final year of their contract.
Waived player, can pick up the last year off of waivers or wait until they clear waivers and sign as free agent.
Free agent player

So trade targets would be few:

Rookies on a rookie deal would not be eligible unless their team fails to pick up their option (like Len and Okafor last year). Here are the ones I can find that meet the criteria.

TJ McConnell.
Raymond Felton
Isaiah Thomas (when trade eligible)
Malcolm Brogdon
Spencer Dinwiddie
Elfrid Payton (when he is elibigle to be traded)
Devin Harris
Jose Berea
Frank Mason

If players clear waivers, any one of them is fair game. My guess is that they are preparing for players who might get cut.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
P

Here are the restrictions.
No more than 3.73 Million.
Final year of their contract.
Waived player, can pick up the last year off of waivers or wait until they clear waivers and sign as free agent.
Free agent player

So trade targets would be few:

Rookies on a rookie deal would not be eligible unless their team fails to pick up their option (like Len and Okafor last year). Here are the ones I can find that meet the criteria.

TJ McConnell.
Raymond Felton
Isaiah Thomas (when trade eligible)
Malcolm Brogdon
Spencer Dinwiddie
Elfrid Payton (when he is elibigle to be traded)
Devin Harris
Jose Berea
Frank Mason

If players clear waivers, any one of them is fair game. My guess is that they are preparing for players who might get cut.
I thought we get the midlevel since we're not a tax paying team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought we get the midlevel since we're not a tax paying team.
That's not how I am reading it, but of course I could be wrong.

• The amount of the Disabled Player Exception is the lesser of half the injured player’s salary or the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception. Technically, teams get an extra $100,000 of wiggle room if they use their DPE to trade for a player but that is pretty much the deal.
https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/240416/CBA-Encyclopedia-Disabled-Player-Exception

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
October 15 -- Rosters set for NBA Opening Day (5 p.m. ET)

So 24 hours after this any player clearing waivers we snap up? So around the 16th 5 p.m. ET?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
October 15 -- Rosters set for NBA Opening Day (5 p.m. ET)

So 24 hours after this any player clearing waivers we snap up? So around the 16th 5 p.m. ET?

I would think that Philly would be the most likely to do something. They have Fultz, Ben Simmons, Jeryd Bayless, TJ McConnell, Landry Shamet, Shake Milton. Surely they are not carrying all those players.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose