Nets/Suns Trade

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, toughest stretch of the year. August is brutal. Football season can't start soon enough. At least that will distract me until the season starts. I don't like baseball so I've just been reading up on everything basketball related I can find. At least last offseason had the Kyrie trade demand this late in the offseason so there was a lot going on in the league to distract us from it being over 2 months until the season starts.

We somehow need to survive the dog days of August when nothing is happening. I admire your research to find something interesting data. I'm down to reading every NBA columnist who has something interesting to say even if it is a reach.

The key is survival. :mrgreen:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We somehow need to survive the dog days of August when nothing is happening. I admire your research to find something interesting data. I'm down to reading every NBA columnist who has something interesting to say even if it is a reach.

The key is survival. :mrgreen:

I'll share what I can find. That Dudley podcast was a blessing of sorts. Not only was it a good listen but it provided things to discuss for a couple of days. Hopefully we get something similar dropping before the weekend.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Sidery likes the dramatic. When I get bored I read him to be entertained.

He does include some good material on occasion but I take it with a grain of salt.

Bordow is very realistic but he is also on vacation. LMAO

Looks like that's going to be a looong vacation from the Republic for Bordow:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like that's going to be a looong vacation from the Republic for Bordow:

Dammit! I really liked Bordow. Who knows what we'll end up with now for Suns coverage. I have a bad feeling it's going to be someone awful.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dammit! I really liked Bordow. Who knows what we'll end up with now for Suns coverage. I have a bad feeling it's going to be someone awful.

This is definitely not good news. I can't imagine anyone covering the Suns as well as Bordow and Coro at azcentral.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Haller too!?!

It sounds like they are going to The Athletic. Never heard of it, but sounds like it's subscription content. If so, I'm not sure how that works in the current media landscape.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is definitely not good news. I can't imagine anyone covering the Suns as well as Bordow and Coro at azcentral.

I have a bad feeling they'll try to put a personality in charge of reporting so they can limit their payroll. Like if they had Bickley take up the job as the Suns beat writer on top of his usual analysis and opinion articles they could save a few bucks compared to hiring someone new. For some reason I have a bad feeling that Bickley will be involved, somehow, and I'm not sure why. I'm probably just thinking that because he'd be the worst person for the job, IMO, and I don't see us getting lucky with Bordow's replacement being on the same level as him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haller too!?!

It sounds like they are going to The Athletic. Never heard of it, but sounds like it's subscription content. If so, I'm not sure how that works in the current media landscape.

He would have been my pick for who I would have liked to see handle the Suns coverage, at least in the interim. I want to say he handled some of that last season at the beginning of the year between Coro being removed and Bordow being assigned to them.

I don't know anything about the Athletic but there are too many options right now for sports coverage, IMO. Of course you have your ESPN and Fox Sports is arguably bigger than they've ever been. Then there's a lot of other sources out there like Yahoo, Bleacher Report, RealGM, Hoops Hype, and then a ton of various social media outlets also.

Their twitter made me think it might just be a local group and while they may hire people to coverage sports in Arizona, it appears they're a national sports news group. Here's a link to their Twitter... https://twitter.com/TheAthleticAZ

If you go to the site linked there though and click on NBA, they don't even have the Suns listed as a choice for a team to see more about. They're missing a number of teams, actually. Here's their web link... https://theathletic.com/nba/

I took a screenshot of the teams that dropped down when I clicked NBA and you can see a number of teams missing like the Suns, Spurs, Trailblazers, and more. I thought it might have been an alphabetical error that caused the Suns, Spurs, and Trailblazers to be missing but then I noticed the Kings, Grizzlies, and others missing and thought that's too many to be missing a column. They only have 20 of the 30 NBA teams listed. The 10 missing are the Bucks, Grizzlies, Jazz, Kings, Magic, Suns, Spurs, Thunder, Trailblazers, & Wizards.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling they'll try to put a personality in charge of reporting so they can limit their payroll. Like if they had Bickley take up the job as the Suns beat writer on top of his usual analysis and opinion articles they could save a few bucks compared to hiring someone new. For some reason I have a bad feeling that Bickley will be involved, somehow, and I'm not sure why. I'm probably just thinking that because he'd be the worst person for the job, IMO, and I don't see us getting lucky with Bordow's replacement being on the same level as him.

I suspect you may be right although I certainly hope not. I've found Bickley writes mostly opinion pieces which frequently stir the pot. I quit reading his articles long ago for that reason. What I liked about Bordow and Coro is they gave a steady stream of news and facts.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't know why Bickley gets so much run. He is opinion. We all have opinions. Any one of us could do his column, because he mostly speculates. I come here for that! I go to a news site for news. Tell me something I don't know.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Doug Haller takes over Suns coverage at azcentral this is probably the best case scenario. He is knowledgeable and accessible. IIRC, he may have been covering the Suns awhile back.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Doug Haller takes over Suns coverage at azcentral this is probably the best case scenario. He is knowledgeable and accessible. IIRC, he may have been covering the Suns awhile back.

Haller is gone also, Folster posted about that above. That was mentioned after Bordow's news broke. That means the #1 replacement for Bordow isn't an option. I suppose they could rehire Coro but I think that's unlikely.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haller is gone also, Folster posted about that above. That was mentioned after Bordow's news broke. That means the #1 replacement for Bordow isn't an option. I suppose they could rehire Coro but I think that's unlikely.

I didn't know this. It looks like a shake-up there.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't know this. It looks like a shake-up there.
Newspapers are dying. They cannot produce the same type of revenue stream they used to, to pay the talent. Funny thing is that its not internet news sites that did the most damage. Its Craigslist. Classifieds used to be a huge revenue stream.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Newspapers are dying. They cannot produce the same type of revenue stream they used to, to pay the talent. Funny thing is that its not internet news sites that did the most damage. Its Craigslist. Classifieds used to be a huge revenue stream.

I'd pay a few bucks a month for good coverage but they always want a bit more money. Also I'm thinking if I submit personal information, they will use it against me down the road when they want to increase prices. I'm sympathetic to the plight of newspapers but I'm not going to pay a substantial fee when there is free coverage out there.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
'Good point! I get most of my news, sports, entertainment, analysis, etc., from the internet.

But, out of habit, I still spend a half hour each day perusing the Arizona Republic from beginning to end, and choosing the articles I want to delve into, to supplement online articles.

I read the sports pages first to see it all within a few pages, then the comics (there are some funny ones -- I usually belly laugh at four or five every day), then entertainment, then the rest.

As a registered Independent, I appreciate that the newspaper that began as the Arizona Republican has moved to the middle. In fact, most of their editorials have crossed over. I wish they had stayed balanced in the middle once they got there.

The worst part of reading newspapers, to me, is that I am evidently allergic to newsprint. I start sneezing as soon as I open it. And I am not comfortable with it coming off in your hands. It is like handling soot.

But, still, I spend my half hour each day going through it. It is easier to skip over the advertising in the paper than online, even though I block popups which, of course, precludes me from opening many online articles.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard