Beware the Suns front office! They lie.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I believe this discussion deserves it's own thread. You will see where I am going with this.

The trade of Knight and Chriss brings up interesting scrutiny of the front office statements made by both players to the fans for months.

Almost since the latter part of last season to now, rumors, statements in the media, etc., have had this team entering the season with a newly healed, newly energized, new attitude Brandon Knight. We were all told just wait and see.

Chriss, we were told his Summer League absence was so that he could train and be in the best shape possible for the upcoming season. Coaches, including Kokoskov were saying they knew waht they had in Chriss and were comfortable with him training away from the team.

Obviously Chriss' and Knight's trade values were being talked up.

We were told Dudley was an integral part of the team as an elder statesman, a coach on the floor and off court if you will.

We are also told Chandler is a key piece to bring Ayton along.

We are told Booker is our center piece to build the team around. (I really hope this is true.)

We are told the team is happy with the point guards we have.

We were told a max player would be brought in sooner rather than later since our time table has changed.

Were do you draw the line with what they are telling us is true, and what they are telling us is smoke?

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see this as news. Of course FO is going to lie. What are they gonna say? If they say, "Yeah, we don't like this player. He doesn't fit, we are giving up", their leverage is completely gone when it comes to trades, and if they can't trade someone, then you have a locker room issue. This is not limited to FOs- this is the reality of any professional environment.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe this discussion deserves it's own thread. You will see where I am going with this.

The trade of Knight and Chriss brings up interesting scrutiny of the front office statements made by both players to the fans for months.

Almost since the latter part of last season to now, rumors, statements in the media, etc., have had this team entering the season with a newly healed, newly energized, new attitude Brandon Knight. We were all told just wait and see.

Chriss, we were told his Summer League absence was so that he could train and be in the best shape possible for the upcoming season. Coaches, including Kokoskov were saying they knew waht they had in Chriss and were comfortable with him training away from the team.

Obviously Chriss' and Knight's trade values were being talked up.

We were told Dudley was an integral part of the team as an elder statesman, a coach on the floor and off court if you will.

We are also told Chandler is a key piece to bring Ayton along.

We are told Booker is our center piece to build the team around. (I really hope this is true.)

We are told the team is happy with the point guards we have.

We were told a max player would be brought in sooner rather than later since our time table has changed.

Were do you draw the line with what they are telling us is true, and what they are telling us is smoke?

I do not remember anyone in mgmt saying Chriss was in the best shape possible.
They have been mum on Dudley for quite a while.
Of course, they don't tell everyone they are trying to trade Chandler, but the only person talking about Chandler as a mentor is Ayton.
Booker is our centerpiece, and they backed this up with a contract.
Give me a quote about them being happy with the point guards they have. We have a whole thread about it, and no such quote every came up.
They said they wanted max room, but they did not say they were going to bring in a max player. Besides, you do not show your hand in free agency.

This entire post is almost completely a fabrication. I am sorry. I call bull crap.

I wish they would lie a little more.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is frustration speaking (from Yuma). I believe he's already told us how much he likes Brandon Knight so his hopes were raised and now they've been crushed.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You guys missed my point.

Where is the line?

What things do we believe versus what things we don't?

I'm sure most people here believe the Suns when they say they are building around Booker. (I kinda remember this same thing about Bledsoe. No wait it was said about Goran Dragic. LOL)

So how do we determine what is real versus fake news?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Where is the line?

I'm sure most people here believe the Suns when they say they are building around Booker. (I kinda remember this same thing about Bledsoe. No wait it was said about Goran Dragic. LOL)

It’s actions. We have 160 million reasons to believe he Suns when they say they are building around Booker. None of those players you mentioned had that kind of commitment from the team.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It’s actions. We have 160 million reasons to believe he Suns when they say they are building around Booker. None of those players you mentioned had that kind of commitment from the team.
OK. I buy that.

I am just saying, sometimes we believe almost everything from the front office. If they say they want a PG, but then trade one away they have lead us to believe is a big part of the upcoming season, are they really looking for a PG?

You see what I'm saying? Should we be treating what the front office more like Putin propaganda, or bible legit gospel?

Booker and Knight are two extreme player differences so it's easier to say, well obviously yes on Booker no on Knight. I keep reading they like TJ who has really been productive. Do I, or should I believe that? Like I mean it's hard to find the line.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Where is the line?

easy. believe what you see, not what you hear as far as sports are concerned, especially anything in regards to what's coming out of a GM's mouth.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
OK. I buy that.

I am just saying, sometimes we believe almost everything from the front office. If they say they want a PG, but then trade one away they have lead us to believe is a big part of the upcoming season, are they really looking for a PG?

You see what I'm saying? Should we be treating what the front office more like Putin propaganda, or bible legit gospel?

Booker and Knight are two extreme player differences so it's easier to say, well obviously yes on Booker no on Knight. I keep reading they like TJ who has really been productive. Do I, or should I believe that? Like I mean it's hard to find the line.
It should be somewhere in the middle. Obviously the Suns aren't going to telegraph all their plans to the general public. I'm pretty convinced they're still looking for a starting PG to start the season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we hadn't talked up Brandon Knight, we wouldn't have been able to trade him for Ryan Anderson.

And according to Houston's front office, Ryan Anderson is really, really good! :)

I think the Suns played a good hand of poker and bluffed their way through it. LOL

It's not lying.

Actually I think both teams wanted to swap out players (Knight/Anderson) that didn't work in their systems.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think the Suns played a good hand of poker and bluffed their way through it. LOL

It's not lying.

Actually I think both teams wanted to swap out players (Knight/Anderson) that didn't work in their systems.
So maybe, and I am just throwing this out there, both guys were hated by their fan bases and these GMs got together to get rid of their most hated guys? Possible?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's their job to hype up their own players.

The only front office I've seen that made a habit of trashing their own guys and playing with their cards face up on the table was the Kevin Towers era Dbacks... and as a result they got taken to the cleaners in virtually every transaction.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So maybe, and I am just throwing this out there, both guys were hated by their fan bases and these GMs got together to get rid of their most hated guys? Possible?

I don't like to use the word hate. However, I think both teams wanted to give each player and their teams a fresh start. The amount of money is about equal. I covered some other stuff in another post to you.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The only front office I've seen that made a habit of trashing their own guys and playing with their cards face up on the table was the Kevin Towers era Dbacks... and as a result they got taken to the cleaners in virtually every transaction.

I think McDonough is learning.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Sure! I don't think "hated" is the right term, but I think there is something to what you are saying.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Both Bledsoe and Knight were resigned by the Suns for near max money. I know that was with the smaller cap but those deals took up 20%+ of that cap. I can see some concern about Booker truly being the centerpiece for years to come. He is for this next year however beyond that when his extension actually kicks in, it's anyone's guess. Look at TJ Warren's extension also, he signed an extension and the front office talked that up about him being a piece of the core going forward but he's probably been shopped more than anyone on our team. His extension doesn't kick in until this coming season. If we're only resigning players to trade them that's fine but they shouldn't sell the fans on those players being big pieces of the futre.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And the Suns aren't being taken to the cleaners when they make a trade? They've done the opposite in how they're talking about players but it's getting the same results. If neither style is working then why try to pull one over on the fanbase?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think the key to discerning the truth is making your own judgement based on remaining open-minded, but objective.
With Knight, it was doubtful that he was really a new, reformed player who will be different than what he'd been for his entire career. With Booker...it was always reasonable to assume he is THE building block. Kids who play that well at that age don't grow on trees. When you have no talent and you end up with one of them on your roster, you hang on to them. With Chriss, it was obvious that he was gone last year, and not playing in the summer league was a huge hint. Igor kept saying that "he was in a good place" during one interview, and it just wasn't consistent with what we've seen. things just didn't add up. These are all "easy" examples- it's a lot more complicated in most cases.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Front office had me fooled. Really thought Chriss would see playing time this year. Now I fear TJ is gone.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And the Suns aren't being taken to the cleaners when they make a trade? They've done the opposite in how they're talking about players but it's getting the same results. If neither style is working then why try to pull one over on the fanbase?

He's won some trades, he's lost some.

Last we saw of Brandon Knight he was one of the worst players in the league... and then he tore his ACL.

Unless you're worried that Chriss is going to excel in Houston then I don't know how you can be too worked up over this move.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
He's won some trades, he's lost some.

Last we saw of Brandon Knight he was one of the worst players in the league... and then he tore his ACL.

Unless you're worried that Chriss is going to excel in Houston then I don't know how you can be too worked up over this move.

I actually think Chriss might do well in Houston. if he can make it anywhere, it's in Houston. That doesn't mean he would have made it in Phoenix.