Miller once again does it again!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Shouldn’t have put Arizona on his list if he wasn’t going to visit. Bizarre recruitment all around

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been deliberately avoiding Arizona basketball news, I didn't need to add another reason to drink. I tune in today and see all this...

What the what? A few legit starting caliber transfers and a few high level recruits with maybe another to add? How the hell did this come about?

I honestly thought next season was toast... a year with a new coach, brought in as fast as they could find an acceptable one, and a dearth of talent for the poor guy to work with.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I also hope that this causes Miller to tap into the coach he was his second season here. Other than that first season, that was arguably the least talented team he's had and they were literally inches away from the final 4.

Sean Miller, coach for your life!!!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I've been deliberately avoiding Arizona basketball news, I didn't need to add another reason to drink. I tune in today and see all this...

What the what? A few legit starting caliber transfers and a few high level recruits with maybe another to add? How the hell did this come about?

I honestly thought next season was toast... a year with a new coach, brought in as fast as they could find an acceptable one, and a dearth of talent for the poor guy to work with.

A little bit of luck and a lot of hard work. Miller had pretty much been recruiting with one assistant and a scandal hanging over him. Every time Brandon Williams visited another school Miller flew to see him after every visit. When he decomitted Arizona had zero recruits and when he recommitted Arizona had two top-100 recruits and two quality grad transfers. Doutrive and Thielemans probably aren’t coming here without the Book stuff and Luther doesn’t transfer unless Pitt imploded. Right now they’re an athletic but raw team but it should be Miller’s best ball-handling backcourt since McConnell/Johnson. I was so tired of watching PJC/Trier not being able to control the ball in traffic. PJC struggles to pass into the post because he had slow feet. Coleman is short but explosive. Williams is a 5* PG and not the Turner/Simon kind.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little bit of luck and a lot of hard work. Miller had pretty much been recruiting with one assistant and a scandal hanging over him. Every time Brandon Williams visited another school Miller flew to see him after every visit. When he decomitted Arizona had zero recruits and when he recommitted Arizona had two top-100 recruits and two quality grad transfers. Doutrive and Thielemans probably aren’t coming here without the Book stuff and Luther doesn’t transfer unless Pitt imploded. Right now they’re an athletic but raw team but it should be Miller’s best ball-handling backcourt since McConnell/Johnson. I was so tired of watching PJC/Trier not being able to control the ball in traffic. PJC struggles to pass into the post because he had slow feet. Coleman is short but explosive. Williams is a 5* PG and not the Turner/Simon kind.

I don't think Williams is any better a prospect than Turner was, the problem with Turner is ARizona never got to see the real kid because of his alcohol and drug problems. I pointed some of that out before he ever played there, his last year of HS was a huge red flag and the kid just went the wrong way at ARizona. I've heard Jerime Anderson did the same thing at UCLA, got to college immediately got so heavily into the party scene he was just not the same. Williams is a very talented kid who doesn't appear to have any of those issues so he'll probably be a MUCH better player. I saw Turner a lot in HS, he had NBA all over him, needed to shoot it better but he had the rest of his game, but he had so many personal issues it killed his chances. The one issue I had with Williams was he has a low release on his shot, it's a push really, not sure that will fly in college but he's so good off the bounce he'll have guys playing off him a bit anyways. Scoring PG and MUCH better than PJC.

You assume he'll be around at least 3 years so assuming ARizona doesn't get hit hard eventually over the FBI story, he's a great piece to build around.

USC is loading up in the next few classes, they got Okongwu today, will get the older Mobley. They appear to lead for Stanley, and there's talk that Josh Green really likes them now too, he's visited twice unofficially recently, seems like even though he's not a Compton Magic kid he may have ties to Mobley the dad. I doubt they get both Stanley and Green, but if they get one with Mobley and Okongwu that's a nice class. But you would assume if USC gets Stanley, Miller will get Green.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't think Williams is any better a prospect than Turner was, the problem with Turner is ARizona never got to see the real kid because of his alcohol and drug problems. I pointed some of that out before he ever played there, his last year of HS was a huge red flag and the kid just went the wrong way at ARizona. I've heard Jerime Anderson did the same thing at UCLA, got to college immediately got so heavily into the party scene he was just not the same. Williams is a very talented kid who doesn't appear to have any of those issues so he'll probably be a MUCH better player. I saw Turner a lot in HS, he had NBA all over him, needed to shoot it better but he had the rest of his game, but he had so many personal issues it killed his chances. The one issue I had with Williams was he has a low release on his shot, it's a push really, not sure that will fly in college but he's so good off the bounce he'll have guys playing off him a bit anyways. Scoring PG and MUCH better than PJC.

You assume he'll be around at least 3 years so assuming ARizona doesn't get hit hard eventually over the FBI story, he's a great piece to build around.

USC is loading up in the next few classes, they got Okongwu today, will get the older Mobley. They appear to lead for Stanley, and there's talk that Josh Green really likes them now too, he's visited twice unofficially recently, seems like even though he's not a Compton Magic kid he may have ties to Mobley the dad. I doubt they get both Stanley and Green, but if they get one with Mobley and Okongwu that's a nice class. But you would assume if USC gets Stanley, Miller will get Green.

Turner was a risk but Miller had to take a chance. Nobody was surprised when he flamed out. Williams is a good kid with an excellent support system. After looking he’s actually a 4* composite but a 5* on Scout. UCLA fans will say it’s because of Gershon.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turner was a risk but Miller had to take a chance. Nobody was surprised when he flamed out. Williams is a good kid with an excellent support system. After looking he’s actually a 4* composite but a 5* on Scout. UCLA fans will say it’s because of Gershon.

no we all wanted him after he decommitted, we all liked Williams quite a bit.

USC is still loading up, they're goign to get both Mobleys and Johnny Juzang, all 3 apparently committing this week. It's weird Compton Magic is an Adidas team about to steer 4 kids to a Nike school, you can almost see them about to change to Nike the way it's going. Juzang is 2020 so probably doesn't impact their chances with Stanley and Green too

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
no we all wanted him after he decommitted, we all liked Williams quite a bit.

USC is still loading up, they're goign to get both Mobleys and Johnny Juzang, all 3 apparently committing this week. It's weird Compton Magic is an Adidas team about to steer 4 kids to a Nike school, you can almost see them about to change to Nike the way it's going. Juzang is 2020 so probably doesn't impact their chances with Stanley and Green too

Enfield giving the FBI and NCAA the middle finger with this class he’s bringing in haha.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enfield giving the FBI and NCAA the middle finger with this class he’s bringing in haha.

It's one of those what can you do scenarios, if you ban hiring dads but don't ban hiring AAU coaches to get kids it's not fair. So they try and dissuade people but in the end, coaches do it because it works.

He's going to get 4 players 4 star or better in the next few classes by doing this, maybe more. Unless they get hit with probation, and they probably won't since they sat Melton, they're going to recruit well. If only Enfield could coach

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It's one of those what can you do scenarios, if you ban hiring dads but don't ban hiring AAU coaches to get kids it's not fair. So they try and dissuade people but in the end, coaches do it because it works.

He's going to get 4 players 4 star or better in the next few classes by doing this, maybe more. Unless they get hit with probation, and they probably won't since they sat Melton, they're going to recruit well. If only Enfield could coach

He definitely has no shame. Say what you want about Miller but he would never hire a recruits parent to get recruits.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh Green made an unofficial visit today and from the sounds of it, went very well. He had a nice conversation with TJ McConnell.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh Green made an unofficial visit today and from the sounds of it, went very well. He had a nice conversation with TJ McConnell.

I love it when fan sites are openly bragging about their schools committing NCAA violations because they don't know it's a violation. Seriously the insiders that reported that don't know ex players can't talk to recruits? Nothing will happen but I never get why sites print stuff like that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like USC is the new recruiting juggernaut of the P12.

If you mean Max I have never been able to decide on him. His teammate Kyman(UCLA) is a good player but not very athletic, Max has always been very athletic but not a great player. he's intriguing because he can handle the ball, pass the ball, has good size and length, and has room to get better in terms of strength and shooting, but I've never been sure if he's overrated or underrated.

I guess it just shows if you're in major trouble FBI wise the smart move is to hire the dad of a big time prospect, they've got 4 kids since they did it, all through Mobley, and they're probably getting Stanley too. in fact if not for some alleged falling out, they were probably getting Juzang too but it looks like Cal or ASU for him.

Given the pace of the FBI stuff it's not clear if SC's situation will be resolved before they all get on campus or not so I guess Enfield went for broke and it paid off so far.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If you mean Max I have never been able to decide on him. His teammate Kyman(UCLA) is a good player but not very athletic, Max has always been very athletic but not a great player. he's intriguing because he can handle the ball, pass the ball, has good size and length, and has room to get better in terms of strength and shooting, but I've never been sure if he's overrated or underrated.

I guess it just shows if you're in major trouble FBI wise the smart move is to hire the dad of a big time prospect, they've got 4 kids since they did it, all through Mobley, and they're probably getting Stanley too. in fact if not for some alleged falling out, they were probably getting Juzang too but it looks like Cal or ASU for him.

Given the pace of the FBI stuff it's not clear if SC's situation will be resolved before they all get on campus or not so I guess Enfield went for broke and it paid off so far.

Arizona was supposedly in good shape for him but SC is cleaning up now. Being FBI’s was more significant than getting ESPN’d.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Goodman isn’t with ESPN anymore but Dick Vitale who making Miller out to be the devil is backtracking now.

TJ

Reaction score
Day late and a dollar short, Dick. Damage done.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona was supposedly in good shape for him but SC is cleaning up now. Being FBI’s was more significant than getting ESPN’d.

Goodman isn’t with ESPN anymore but Dick Vitale who making Miller out to be the devil is backtracking now.

All the other stuff aside I don't think it had anything to do with FBI vs ESPN, I think USC hired a guy who has sons that know all these players, are friends with all these players, and are recruiting all these players to USC. When the hiring first broke virtually everyone thought Okongwu would go to UCLA but Josh was on BRO saying don't be surprised if SC gets him too, he's very close to the Mobley brothers. the dad is tight with many of these kids too through his sons.

The talk is that the dad was "shopping" for a coaching position and essentially telling whoever would listen that they hired him they'd get a bunch of kids. Given the situation at SC at the time, they had a decent recovery in the 18 class(got Weaver kept 2 others) but it appeared they weren't going to land any elite kids in 19, Enfield knew his seat was getting hot, so he hired Mobley the dad.

I know a guy who's very dialed in to the So Cal AAU circuit and he basically said Eric Mobley has never been a head coach even in AAU where he wasn't coaching at least 1 of his sons. So his entire coaching career is based on having played ball and then wanting to coach his sons. He did at the lower levels, including with the Compton Magic, and then SC hired him to get his sons. In order to hire him USC took the assistant they had promoted to replace Bland, and demoted him to director of scouting.

None of it is against the rules of course but it's a perfect example of what's wrong with the whole youth basketball scene, just months after USC declared itself completely clean only to have a story out a week later implicating 2 other players on the team(Metu and Boatwright) and possibly 2 others, their AD says we're doing things the right way and then they hire Mobley to get kids. I don't know what's going to happen to Bland I certainly doubt he gets any prison time but at this point USC has no legs to stand on here is it any wonder Bland cheated, clearly he gets that USC wants to win at all costs, they're proving that again by hiring Mobley.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully Miller realizes he needs more than just OAD kids. Barcello, Randolph, Akot and Lee are 3 year guys who hopefully Miller can coach up. The grad tranfers he brought in will help with stability and provide valuable experience. Miller needs to really overcome the damage the scandal has done to his rep and land some big fish in 2019. If Mannion re-classes he is a must get. Landing Green, McDaniels & Fuller would put UA back on the recruiting map.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully Miller realizes he needs more than just OAD kids. Barcello, Randolph, Akot and Lee are 3 year guys who hopefully Miller can coach up. The grad tranfers he brought in will help with stability and provide valuable experience. Miller needs to really overcome the damage the scandal has done to his rep and land some big fish in 2019. If Mannion re-classes he is a must get. Landing Green, McDaniels & Fuller would put UA back on the recruiting map.

I will be very surprised if Mannion does not pick the Cats.

TJ

Reaction score
247 has 13 predictions for Mannion, all of which point to Arizona. Pretty much all of the insiders, especially the overly conservative ones, believe he's going to Arizona unless there's a last-minute change of heart.

Get him, land Josh Green and the rest is gravy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
247 has 13 predictions for Mannion, all of which point to Arizona. Pretty much all of the insiders, especially the overly conservative ones, believe he's going to Arizona unless there's a last-minute change of heart.

Get him, land Josh Green and the rest is gravy.

Yeah he did reclass and it sure sounds like he's going to Arizona. Green I'm not sure, Josh is saying UCLA is still involved as are others but you get the impression he and Nico might be a package deal.

Mannion is good, the kid I love in this class at that position is Cole Anthony, Greg Anthony's son. There had been lots of assumptions he was going to Duke but the kid is publicly saying he has no idea where people are getting that he's not leaning any one way.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose