New rule on lowering helmet will be hard to enforce

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent,” the new rule says, according to the NFL. “The player may be disqualified. Applies to any player anywhere on the field.

How about Tom Brady on a qb sneak or a running back going into the end zone??? They have to keep their head up or a 15 yard penalty.

Good luck on enforcing this.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Text from former NFL linebacker: “Can't believe how ridiculous this lowering of the head thing is. Go back and watch any game and you will see probably 30 to 50 examples of guys lowering their head on contact. A f——— mess. Why does the NFL want to self-destruct?”

Wellthatsjustfine

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They’re obviously destroying things on purpose. There’s no other possible explanation. Whatever.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gladiators don't care about their own safety and health until they retire.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Albert Breer‏Verified account@AlbertBreer 12m12 minutes ago
There was more discussion on targeting this AM in the general session. Main point/emphasis to come out of it: Using the helmet as a weapon is what the league is trying to eliminate. NFL told the group there were about 5-10 plays last year, total, that would lead to ejections.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I get they're trying to prevent spinal compression injuries, but wouldn't this increase the chance of more neck injuries with the head being forced back - I don't know what it's technically called, but a whiplash type injury. Unless they're going to make everyone wear those devices to try to prevent that.

NFLPA might have something to say about this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ejection
The Brady example is a bit extreme. The intent, i think, is to not use the head as a weapon. Currently, that's the spearing rule, right or similar? This just turns that into an ejection.

It's more along the lines of what Gronk did last year to the Buffalo player on the ground.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get they're trying to prevent spinal compression injuries, but wouldn't this increase the chance of more neck injuries with the head being forced back - I don't know what it's technically called, but a whiplash type injury. Unless they're going to make everyone wear those devices to try to prevent that.

NFLPA might have something to say about this.

The Brady example is a bit extreme. The intent, i think, is to not use the head as a weapon. Currently, that's the spearing rule, right or similar? This just turns that into an ejection.

It's more along the lines of what Gronk did last year to the Buffalo player on the ground.
What I truly worry about, not QB sneaks but RBs lowering their helmet to plow through players. IMO, this should only be on defensive players.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I get safety and all but some of these rules will just help keep lowering the ratings and popularity. I haven't been watching near as much as I used to simply because it seems like there's a flag on every play where the QB is on the ground or a WR gets hit

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What I truly worry about, not QB sneaks but RBs lowering their helmet to plow through players. IMO, this should only be on defensive players.
Good point. You could argue the RB is using their head as a weapon in that instance vs protection. I think what they're trying to prevent are the Shazier type tackles/injuries. It's going to be hard to enforce since the body's natural reaction to protecting itself is to curl up.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

NFL clubs provided additional input this morning regarding enforcement of lowering-head rule. Three key takeaways: teams are on board, they want some plays to be ejections, and they want a replay component to any ejection process.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but when it says any player anywhere on the field, it means any lowering of the head... whether it's a QB sneak, or a running back fighting for yards, to a defender trying to make a tackle anywhere that all of this will be 15 yard penalties (letter of the law).

This might be the biggest change ever to the rules, and if so, this would create so much unknown, that almost any player could be a shell of themselves under the new rule. We simply don't know how this will effect players yet.

Basically QB's would be ok because they rarely do sneaks. 95 percent of what they do is outside of that (unless they are a running QB, so someone like Cam Newton could be screwed). This might also decrease the value of Lamar Jackson in the draft. Any NFL team should be asking for in depth meanings BEFORE the draft, because this rule alone could destroy Jackson's future in the NFL. Or it could help. Or both? Weird huh?

Can the specific running back play without lowering his head? In this sense, David Johnson's size, speed, and strength would be an advantage as defenders would have to try to arm tackle him. He runs upright, and that would seem to make these rules a benefit to him.

Goal line and short yardage would be a nightmare for both sides. I can see a lot of flags on both sides making these situations crapshoots one way or another, at least until either the league changes how it is called or players learn to play a different way. Until then, it would be messy. This could also lead to more teams choosing running plays over passing plays that have become more en vogue in short yardage and goal line situations... just to try to trigger a flag.

Of course, they'll have to enforce it to the letter of the law. They may not. So the sky might not be falling. But if they truly enforce it to the letter of the law, this could upset many plans, take millions away from certain players, and get lots of people fired/cut.

Lowering the head is what almost every player does on offense or defense, few hit with the crown which was the 2013 rule. But this, seemingly would at times impact everyone on the field. It could be called on any and every play.

No one knows how these players will play until they have to actually play it this way. Big dollar players should be sweating bullets. There also could be some lower rung players who benefit from the rule. Refs could be very busy. Preseason will be very interesting.

But there was a quote showcasing they want heads up football. So this might entirely be where they are going, and even then, if you try to play heads up, sometimes you are still going to be leading with your head because the circumstances changed quickly. We've seen those called in the past when the defender makes contact to a QB, this could be extended everywhere.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/27/owners-discussing-a-college-style-targeting-rule/

“In our ongoing study of how to make the game better, we just seemed to see more lowering of the head,” Cowboys executive Stephen Jones, who sits on the competition committee, said. “Always we’re looking at ways to improve and make the game safer. And when you look at the plays where the players are dropping their head, we’re doing a good job of catching it after the fact with fines and things of that nature, but probably can do a better job of making the call on the field that hopefully we’ll even emphasize more. Heads-up football.”

So it would seem it's two pronged. One is for better on the fly accountability of the hits that would cause fines and eject them, and in conjunction with another rule, remotely from the league office. Two, in the effort to make tackling heads-up, 15 yard penalties for those lowering their head anywhere on the field to initiate contact.

I don't think they'd flag someone for lowering the head if there is no contact, but I don't see how the ball carrier/defender who both lower their head at the point of contact isn't effected, unless it's not enforced. But why word it 'any player, anywhere on the field' if it isn't?

I also don't see this just as a collision towards the other guy, but also trying to protect the tackler from injuring themselves with a heads down tackle, perhaps even into someones legs. I know a whole lot of concussions have come when a player dives at a ball carrier's legs. Often times because he gets kicked. So this has the possibility to drastically effect the game everywhere. I don't think anyone can rule it out, until the season starts and we see how they call it, unless the NFL specifically lays out certain situations.

Also, which could be really weird, is if both offensive and defensive player lower their head, would that not be offsetting penalties? Thus more flags, more time wasted, longer games, more overall plays which could lead to more injuries backfiring on the owners.

Overall on all of this, we'll see though.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Ejection
Gotta read past the 10th word of a sentence - you must've missed this part:

"It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent,” the new rule says, according to the NFL.

:shrug:

...dbs

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta read past the 10th word of a sentence - you must've missed this part:

"It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent,” the new rule says, according to the NFL.

:shrug:

...dbs

This was the only photo I found when googling QB sneak but typically, you are slamming into a pile of players when doing a QB sneak so you would be doing exactly what you bolded. Not sure why Brady has an open hole in that photo, must have been a surprise sneak.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Albert Breer‏Verified account@AlbertBreer 12m12 minutes ago
There was more discussion on targeting this AM in the general session. Main point/emphasis to come out of it: Using the helmet as a weapon is what the league is trying to eliminate. NFL told the group there were about 5-10 plays last year, total, that would lead to ejections.

Perhaps the wording of the rule should resemble the part in bold. Can't put every situation into words.

I'm thinking it should be a judgement call. Know it when you see it.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Dear NFL, accept the fact that pro football is a brutal contact sport or just fold the game. Great, another rule which become objective for a ref to decide what team he fancies because how do you not lower your head when you are about to get hit... hell, WRs lower their head when they are about to get hit and what happens if they turn while doing so and hit a guy lol

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get a feeling some are trying to complicate a simple rule. It is all about player safety. I, for one, do not want to have a player entertain me by attempting to knock out another player. It is , after all, called tackle football. It has now evolved into blow up the other player football.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki
@mikejurecki

Spoke to some NFL coaches this morning and they’re wondering how the officials are going to call the game? And how they’re going to be able to teach the players what’s legal, assume the league will send out teaching videos all 32 teams.

Really coaches? NFL coaches should not have to teach the basics of tackling. Maybe some players are that dumb.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki
@mikejurecki

According to NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy, “It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. The player may be disqualified. Applies to any player anywhere on the field.”

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort