College Basketball 2017-18

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

God that story makes the NCAA look terrible. The kid is eligible, he's going to graduate, and he's above the NCAA requirements but because his school has a higher requirement, they rule he has to sit out 4 games? so UNC can create a fake major and get away with it but this kid has to sit 4 games.

Man I'm getting to hate college basketball the hypocrisy is stunning.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No details yet but sounds like some UCLA players got in trouble in China in advance of their game with Ga Tech onFriday. Atlanta Journal Constitution says Chinese police interviewed and cleared 3 Ga Tech players but no word on how many and which UCLA players and what was involved.

China of course is a totally different country than the US if players were underage drinking or something like that, they could get in big trouble over there.

I would imagine both teams are wishing they'd never schedule that game in China, GA Tech is reeling from injuries and suspensions and now it appears UCLA might have some kids in trouble there.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff Goodman reporting 3 UCLA players arrested for shoplifting in China, he named LiAngelo Ball but said story coming.

Based on the reports they searched the UCLA bus it figured to be either something like this or pot.

How dumb do you have to be a team full of basketball players you're going to stand out to begin with so doing something stupid like this in China it's pretty likely you'll be seen

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No details yet but sounds like some UCLA players got in trouble in China in advance of their game with Ga Tech onFriday. Atlanta Journal Constitution says Chinese police interviewed and cleared 3 Ga Tech players but no word on how many and which UCLA players and what was involved.

China of course is a totally different country than the US if players were underage drinking or something like that, they could get in big trouble over there.

I would imagine both teams are wishing they'd never schedule that game in China, GA Tech is reeling from injuries and suspensions and now it appears UCLA might have some kids in trouble there.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gelo seeing the bad side of fame now, ESPN plastering his picture all over the place when it's 3 kids, but he's the famous one

UCLA expelled 3 kids from football in 2010 for stealing but it was over 1200 bucks, but the bigger issue now is they're in China they're dealing with foreign laws.

The Pac 12 commissioner and the Chancellor of UCLA are reportedly there in China, I would not expect leniency if I were these 3 kids.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
LiAngelo is not a Big Baller, afterall.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unconfirmed report online says they were caught shoplifting from a Louis Vuitton store right next to the hotel.

This is why I prefer to pay the players, then they don't shoplift

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Gelo seeing the bad side of fame now, ESPN plastering his picture all over the place when it's 3 kids, but he's the famous one

UCLA expelled 3 kids from football in 2010 for stealing but it was over 1200 bucks, but the bigger issue now is they're in China they're dealing with foreign laws.

The Pac 12 commissioner and the Chancellor of UCLA are reportedly there in China, I would not expect leniency if I were these 3 kids.

At least it wasn't Hands or Wilkes if you want to go glass-half-full.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least it wasn't Hands or Wilkes if you want to go glass-half-full.

Oh I'm glad it wasn't the best players yes but if it's bad enough for them to expel them or even just suspend them all year UCLA is down to effectively an 8 man roster.

Welsh, Goloman, Wilkes, Hands, Holiday with only Ali, Smith and Olesinski as backups. JC Ike is the 9th guy but he is not good at all.

We'll see what they actually did but if they did something bad enough I'd rather teach them a lesson than go slap on the wrist like Howland did with Jerime anderson

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alford to sit 3 players involved in shoplifting incident
Alford, however, declined to address the issue further.
"The University came out with a statement, so I won't have any further comment on this other than in answering that question — those individuals won't play on Saturday," Alford said Wednesday in Shanghai.

Pac-12 Conference Commissioner Larry Scott issued a statement Tuesday night saying that UCLA basketball players were "involved in a situation" in China, with police being summoned to the team's hotel to investigate the matter.

"UCLA is cooperating fully with local authorities," Scott said.
http://collegebasketball.ap.org/dur...d-sit-3-players-involved-shoplifting-incident

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They're out on bail but staying at a hotel near the jail and they have to wait for the legal stuff to run its course.

BTW the picture in that link is NOT Jalen Hill, it even says he's from Aransas Pass which is apparently in Texas, Hill is from Corona California.

Sounds like given what has been reported about the legal system in China, they're treating these 3 in an accelerated manner. Some SI legal expert was saying yesterday they probably wouldn't even get any action for at least 4 days, and it would take weeks to get out on bail, they were out by 4 am China time apparently so it would appear they're not going to make an example out of them.

Now if and when they get home, they're going to likely be in serious trouble at UCLA. There's considerable push if they're guilty, to expel them.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mixed reports some are saying the players could be there for a month or longer, some are saying they could be home in much less time.

CNN is actually reporting that Trump is trying to intervene, and they are showing the same pic of Jalen Hill, not the right kid. The one in Texas must be pretty annoyed they're putting him on tv.

They apparently all admitted to stealing "high end" sunglasses so at LV that could be 1000 bucks each.

Lots of innuendo they will be at best suspended for a year and more likely expelled.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Ball factor magnifies the situation but they're also deflecting the attention off UCLA. If it were just Riley and Smith it would be solely on Alford and the program. Hopefully these guys can avoid a serious sentences but it pretty much cuts ties with the Ball family since Gelo will get kicked out and Melo will never be eligible.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ball factor magnifies the situation but they're also deflecting the attention off UCLA. If it were just Riley and Smith it would be solely on Alford and the program. Hopefully these guys can avoid a serious sentences but it pretty much cuts ties with the Ball family since Gelo will get kicked out and Melo will never be eligible.

It depends. The current thinking is the kids are being fast tracked, they're already on bail and given the current situation with Trump there and the countries working together it appears the kids won't be there too long.

I still think expulsion is highly possible, this is a huge deal for UCLA and the Pac 12, UCLA has a huge base of Chinese students so these 3 couldn't have picked a worse place to do this. The UCLA kids are taking midterms while they're there, apparently they're going to be allowed to do that still so they won't be academically ineligible because of this. They're in a hotel that will have to be paid for and there's some discussion if the families can't afford to pay(Hill and Riley clearly lavar can) then UCLA would have to pay and that would be impermissible benefits and the kids would be ineligible.

In that scenario Gelo is actually the most likely of the 3 to stay at UCLA since he has the means to pay for the fines and hotel bills.

as for Melo over the last several years I've heard so many times a certain kid will never be eligible and they are, this year alone Ayton, Bagley, and Duval were all in that position and all qualified. The NCAA has very clearly said Melo has not in any way currently violated amateur status, he's a good student, and if they want him to play college ball he could. The irony is the assumption has been if he skips college, he'll probably go play in China!

now if UCLA WANTS out of the Ball family, this certainly gives them an out.

The general impression you get on UCLA sites is there's considerable push to at a minimum suspend all 3 for the year and many want them outright expelled. Larry Scott can't be happy he's got 2 schools front and center in the FBI scandal and now UCLA has 3 kids arrested in China, there's no way UCLA is going to go easy on these kids. If they do, the conference might step in and suspend them longer.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ANybody familiar with the Terez Owens site? Never heard of it but he's claiming Jalen Hill stole a pair of glasses, Ball and Riley were just there and had no idea Hill had taken them, but since all 3 were in the store on video, all 3 were arrested. Doesn't seem to mesh with the claim they confessed