Opening Day Roster for the 2017/18 Season

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns rebounding woes is beyond small ball. The Suns PFs play like SFs and the center position is weak as well. Rebounding will be a problem all season not to mention interior defense.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler and Len are the best rebounders we have available with Bledsoe and Warren probably being are 3rd and 4th best rebounders, which says a lot about how badly this team needs players who can rebound. Chandler is a member of AARP, Len is as inconsistent as a rookie. I think Warren only gets rebounds because he's one of the few players who actually tries while Bledsoe is an above average rebounder for a PG, but he's still just a PG.

Chriss and Bender need to step it up, Chriss especially since he's pencilled in as the starting PF on the team. He has the size, quickness, and jumping ability but doesn't seem interested in boxing out or going for rebounds.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler and Len are the best rebounders we have available with Bledsoe and Warren probably being are 3rd and 4th best rebounders, which says a lot about how badly this team needs players who can rebound. Chandler is a member of AARP, Len is as inconsistent as a rookie. I think Warren only gets rebounds because he's one of the few players who actually tries while Bledsoe is an above average rebounder for a PG, but he's still just a PG.

Chriss and Bender need to step it up, Chriss especially since he's pencilled in as the starting PF on the team. He has the size, quickness, and jumping ability but doesn't seem interested in boxing out or going for rebounds.

Chriss and Bender need to realize they were not drafted for their outside shooting. LOL

I like what the Trail Blazers did by trading for Nurkic and drafting Zach Collins and Caleb Swanigan.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've never liked having Chandler on the team because he was in Len's way. A guy shouldn't let something like that bother him so much, but I'm fairly sure Len does. It may be too late for shedding Tyson to do any good - in the sense of making Len feel good about continuing with the Suns. Like if he plays well enough this year that we want to resign him, some one else will offer him a deal and he'll prefer going.
Heck, if Sauce was healthy I probably wouldn't feel like it was worthwhile but as it is I think we might as well give Len another chance. Even if the light comes all the way on I don't see Len ever becoming a first rate center - solid starter is his likely ceiling. If he doesn't show signs of getting there this year then let him go because his psyche doesn't seem to allow him to be a backup.

You know there was a time when the team seemed to play better when Len was on the floor - I wasn't the only one that remarked on it. That disappeared when Chandler joined the team. If he could ever get back to that point he'd be worth keeping.

I think Errnknght nailed it. Chandler needs to be moved to pave the way for Len. Now that Len can be a free agent after this season by moving Chandler it would be a symbolic gesture towards Len like we are turning the reigns over to him. If by some miracle Len got it together this season that might be the catalyst for him wanting to stay. Plus it might be the fuel to drive him this season.

Another side of this...Len could tank our season and help us get a real center. Plus maybe Chandler could net us a draft pick (late first rounder?) to combine with our other pick(s) to move up in the next draft.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one has been in Len's way. Not only has he been generally lousy but he fouls so often he cannot be penciled in for reliable minutes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Chandler has much trade value except to a contender who has lost their center. Probably the most the Suns could hope for is an expiring contract and perhaps a second round pick(s). This may not be a bad thing though.

I don't see the light suddenly coming on for Len though. Moving Chandler early would be just to get his salary off the books and perhaps bring another young center on board at an opportune time.

The easy thing for the Suns to do is wait until Chandler, Bledsoe and Dudley become free agents in the summer of 2019. I don't like waiting but this is the logical plan unless an opportunity comes along.

I waited so long for Josh Childress to come off the Suns books and here we are again with Knight. He will be on the Suns books for quite awhile but I can hardly wait for the most fiscally responsible time to buy him out using the stretch provision. If the Suns could really might the bullet, Knight might be worth something as an expiring contract in the 2019/20 season.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if there is a contender out there who has a young big they'd trade for Chandler? There's probably 8 teams out there that could use Chandler, he'd be an upgrade at Center for them, but I'm not sure what we'd be able to get in return. I don't see him helping our young guys as much as some people here think, he hasn't done anything since he's been here that's notable. He couldn't help keep Markieff in line, which isn't his job but as a veteran influence he should have helped with that. He's also set Len back, but I don't blame him entirely for that. Len has a fragile ego and that's no one's fault but his own really.

The problem with trading Chandler is what we could get in return. We don't need another pick this year and the only position we could use help at is Center. So I think we'd have to find a contender who doesn't have the time to develop a player they have and would swap for Chandler or a team willing to trade a future 1st? I'm sure it would come with protection but that would help some if we're looking to combine picks in an effort to move up this year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if there is a contender out there who has a young big they'd trade for Chandler? There's probably 8 teams out there that could use Chandler, he'd be an upgrade at Center for them, but I'm not sure what we'd be able to get in return. I don't see him helping our young guys as much as some people here think, he hasn't done anything since he's been here that's notable. He couldn't help keep Markieff in line, which isn't his job but as a veteran influence he should have helped with that. He's also set Len back, but I don't blame him entirely for that. Len has a fragile ego and that's no one's fault but his own really.

The problem with trading Chandler is what we could get in return. We don't need another pick this year and the only position we could use help at is Center. So I think we'd have to find a contender who doesn't have the time to develop a player they have and would swap for Chandler or a team willing to trade a future 1st? I'm sure it would come with protection but that would help some if we're looking to combine picks in an effort to move up this year.

Listen. We do not need another young big either. I would be content to not get ANYTHING for Chandler. I would be glad to trade him for the right to swap picks with someone, if they have the potential of having a better pick than us or maybe the right to swap the Miami pick.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Listen. We do not need another young big either. I would be content to not get ANYTHING for Chandler.

What's the rush to shove Chandler out the door? Were the Suns better last year when he was injured? (No.) He's a good locker-room presence and, when healthy, helps ease the burden on Len or (god help me) Bender. Unless he starts causing problems, he's an asset.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's the rush to shove Chandler out the door? Were the Suns better last year when he was injured? (No.) He's a good locker-room presence and, when healthy, helps ease the burden on Len or (god help me) Bender. Unless he starts causing problems, he's an asset.
yeah, that is my thought, when you continually dump quality players because you're desperate to give someone younger time (even though they've done everything to not earn it)... that's when you become perpetually awful... we're there, we need to break the cycle.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I don't want the burden eased on Len...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't want the burden eased on Len...
'Good point. If Alex Len has it in him to be a starter competing against the greatest basketball players in the world, he'll never achieve it by being coddled.

The Suns have given him the opportunity to develop, succeed and become consistent. So far, it is Alex Len who has not met that challenge and, in so doing, has let down the team and its fans.

And if Len's intention has been to play well for a new contract, we've seen how that is fool's gold way too often.

Thus far, as an NBA professional basketball player, he has been a failure and a disappointment. And if his goal is only to earn millions of American dollars for as long as he can get away with it ...

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
'Good point. If Alex Len has it in him to be a starter competing against the greatest basketball players in the world, he'll never achieve it by being coddled.

The Suns have given him the opportunity to develop, succeed and become consistent. So far, it is Alex Len who has not met that challenge and, in so doing, has let down the team and its fans.

And if Len's intention has been to play well for a new contract, we've seen how that is fool's gold way too often.

Thus far, as an NBA professional basketball player, he has been a failure and a disappointment. And if his goal is only to earn millions of American dollars for as long as he can get away with it ...

Very well said!

To top it off he had the audacity to hold out all summer for some big payday that never came. He was lucky the suns still wanted him! But now since Williams went down he STILL has one final chance to prove he belongs in this league. Time to step up or get out of the NBA...no more coddling!

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Yeah, I don't get it either. There seems to be obsession on this board with shoving anyone who is not between the age of 18 and 28 out the door. I've been trying to understand it for a couple of years now, and it still makes no sense. By all accounts Chandler is an outstanding locker room presence, great veteran leader, good mentor, and all that nice stuff. Not sure why people want to get rid of him.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler is just a dead end for us. It's somewhat similar to us hanging onto Nash too long, only he prevented us from completely rebuilding while Chandler is only holding us back at 1 position. There isn't a future there, he won't get better and I'm not sold on him being the positive influence some see him as. He's not a negative influence in the locker room but I think he has a negative impact on our roster. If Williams were healthy I think others would see things a bit differently but since he's not we need a legit big and Chandler fills that need and if he didn't have another year on his contract I wouldn't mind it that much but am not a fan on hanging onto him for any offcourt reasons, we need someone who may be with us in another 2-3 years at Center, not someone whose expiration date is coming up.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
we need someone who may be with us in another 2-3 years at Center, not someone whose expiration date is coming up.

So, like who exactly? Some ultra-scrub who's worse than even Len and Bender?

Of course Chandler isn't a long-term answer. The Suns don't have a long-term answer at center. Keeping Chandler around does not prevent them for continuing to look for that answer, nor does it interfere with the so-called "development" of the other non-answers already on the roster.

If Chandler were taking a roster spot away from Embiid, then it would be a different discussion.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Chandler is just a dead end for us. It's somewhat similar to us hanging onto Nash too long, only he prevented us from completely rebuilding while Chandler is only holding us back at 1 position. There isn't a future there, he won't get better and I'm not sold on him being the positive influence some see him as. He's not a negative influence in the locker room but I think he has a negative impact on our roster. If Williams were healthy I think others would see things a bit differently but since he's not we need a legit big and Chandler fills that need and if he didn't have another year on his contract I wouldn't mind it that much but am not a fan on hanging onto him for any offcourt reasons, we need someone who may be with us in another 2-3 years at Center, not someone whose expiration date is coming up.

How is he "holding us back"?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Methinks you don't have a very realistic concept of team building.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chandler isn't helping our present or future. If he has any value he should be dealt. What's he even doing for us? All this "locker room presence" mumbo jumbo. How do you guys know...are you in the locker room with him? He sure hasn't helped Lens game!

Its all about next year's draft....not about Chandlers ancient ways. That's why he was benched last season.. dont you get it?? He either wins us a couple games we don't want or takes up salary space that we need. He doesn't get us in the playoffs...he doesn't help Len. He just exists. He was brought in because of Aldridge.... remember? He even failed us that mission. His locker room presence didn't lure him here.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, trading for the right to swap picks with someone (our Miami pick) seems like a good idea right now. We don't really need more picks, we need a chance at better picks.

Right to swap Suns 2018 first for NJ 2018 first (Cleveland trade, Chandler?)
Right to swap Miami 2018 first for LA 2018 first (Boston trade, Chandler?)

Just throwing out general ideas.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I agree with your approach, JC, but nobody is going to give us rights to swap picks with them for Chandler. Well, they might, but not if they have a good pick.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If Len had developed into a dependable starting Center, it would be a no-brainer to move Tyson Chandler.

He was the difference maker in bringing Dallas its only championship. But he is obviously older now.

The disappointment of Alex Len is the main reason to not give away Chandler if the Suns are listening to offers.

And regarding Dudley, he was brought back to be an unofficial Assistant Coach on the floor. Why not just name him an Assistant Coach and free up a roster spot.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
People forget that Chandler struggled early on in his career. Part of his value is mentoring the young 4s and 5s. He knows what it's like to struggle for years and then finally figure it out. Chandler being on the roster is the best thing that can happen to the guys like Bender, Chriss, Len, etc. Leave the man alone- he said he didn't want to be traded last year, so unless something changed in his mind, leave the man alone. Let him play and mentor.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen