Opening Day Roster for the 2017/18 Season

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. If I were Len I'd be a disheartened by being sat after a great preseason while your competition didn't show up. It's not like Chandler is a top 10 or even top 15 Center in the league either.

I don't think it was ever supposed to be a competition. Chandler is a 16 year vet, him taking it easy in exhibition games isn't all that surprising.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an article with Len talking about being consistent, the backup battle for the PG spot, and also the signing of Keita, who is said to join the NAZ Suns.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ove-consistency-maximize-his-value/763878001/

This is what caught my attention from the above article.

Coach Earl Watson has gone so far to say Len has been the Suns’ best player.

“He’s been amazing,” Watson said.

Also I think Ulis is the superior PG as much as I like James. However, I would like to see James play with another PG and move Booker to small forward when the Suns want to add some offensive punch. The Suns have to figure out a way to get James on the court.

“They’re different,” Watson said. “Depends on who you want. Do you want a scorer to come off the bench, or do you want a guy who can get everyone involved? I think sometimes they can play together, so we want to look at that.”

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The final cut is probably Millsap. I wonder if Derrick Jones Jr. has any trade value for a second round pick?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jones Jr. should be on the NAZ team. He is not ready.

I tend to agree although he didn't get a lot of playing time in preseason. Even if Derrick Jones Jr. was ready, it would be tough for him to get playing time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the Suns roster from ESPN although I deleted Keita and Millsap to trend it down to 17 players.

Phoenix Suns Team Roster

NO.
NAME POS AGE HT WT COLLEGE 2017-2018 SALARY

35 Dragan Bender PF 19 7-1 225 $4,468,800

2 Eric Bledsoe PG 27 6-1 205 Kentucky $14,500,000

1 Devin Booker SG 20 6-6 210 Kentucky $2,319,360

4 Tyson Chandler C 35 7-1 240 $13,000,000

0 Marquese Chriss F 20 6-10 240 Washington $3,073,800

30 Troy Daniels SG 26 6-4 205 Virginia Commonwealth $3,408,520

3 Jared Dudley SF 32 6-7 240 Boston College $10,000,000

20 Josh Jackson SF 20 6-8 200 Kansas $5,090,040

55 Mike James PG 27 6-1 195 Lamar

10 Derrick Jones Jr. SF 20 6-7 195 UNLV $1,312,611

11 Brandon Knight PG 25 6-3 195 Kentucky $13,618,750

21 Alex Len C 24 7-1 250 Maryland $4,187,599

25 Alec Peters PF 22 6-9 235 Valparaiso

-- Davon Reed SG 22 6-6 210 Miami (FL) $815,615

8 Tyler Ulis PG 21 5-10 160 Kentucky $1,312,611

12 TJ Warren SF 24 6-8 215 North Carolina State $3,152,931

15 Alan Williams PF 24 6-8 265 UC Santa Barbara $6,000,000

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/phx/phoenix-suns

Mike James and Alec Peters are the Suns two-way players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have four "affiliate" players with the NAZ Suns. They are Millsap, Keita, Bennett and Jok.

Millsap and Keita, who signed with the Suns on Friday, are expected to be the third and fourth “affiliate” players to join the Northern Arizona Suns, Phoenix’s G League team. The other affiliate players are Anthony Bennett and Peter Jok.

by Scott Bordow, azcentral sports

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...er-ulis-dragan-bender-strong-games/765131001/

Below is a link explaining affiliate players and other categories of players.

When NBA teams trim their rosters during training camp and the preseason, they have the first crack at acquiring their waived players on their NBA G League affiliate.

Organizations can designate up to four “affiliate players,” though those players will remain NBA free agents. This still allows NBA front offices to identify prospects that they like and keep them in their system — especially given the current state of the league, in which all 22 NBA G League teams are singly affiliated with an NBA parent club.

http://gleague.nba.com/how-rosters-are-built/

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to see the G-League become even more of a minor league system. Two-Way contracts were one thing but I didn't know about the affiliate thing, I guess it's somewhat like practice squad signings. Glad the Suns have a G-League team, that is somewhat local also. With how much the NBA is trying to make it a true minor league system, we're lucky we're not on the outside looking in at this point without a team.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw a proposed trade between Toronto & Phoenix for Valanciunas for Chandler. It would be to help get Toronto down below the luxury tax line and they'd save roughly $3 million by making the trade. He is owed more annually than Chandler and also has a player option for the 2019/20 season at $17.6 million but he's only 25 years old. He would improve our front court offensively and give us a solid rebounding big. He's always played alongside solid PF's, like Ibaka and Patrick Patterson who both rebound well but he still averaged 9.5 rpg last year, 8.5 for his career. He's an upgrade offensively also, while he only averaged 12 ppg last year he shot 55% from the field and 81% from the FT line, that was being the 4th or 5th option behind DeRozen, Lowry, Ibaka, and Carroll. Sure, he'd probably help us win more games but I'm not on board with tanking, especially to start the season. I'm in favor of improving with our youth and Valanciunas could be a piece of our young core going forward if he pans out since he's just 25 and only a year older than Warren or Len, is still improving, and has been durable throughout his career, playing in 80+ games 3 times in his 5 years and 62 his rookie year and 60 in 2015/16.

We could sweeten the pot if need be by including Derrick Jones Jr or giving them back their 2nd round pick we got in the Tucker deal. They don't want to pay the luxury tax enough they dumped DeMarre Carroll and a 1st rounder for Justin Hamilton, essentially giving him away. That helped them get under the luxury tax when it was calculated this summer, before FA started. I think swapping Jonas for Tyson might be enough on it's own though. Including that 2nd round pick isn't a big loss on our part and neither is DJJ, who is on a minimal salary but since they lost Carroll and Tucker in free agency they might need another wing, especially one they control for the next few years on a really small contract.

http://hoopshype.com/2017/10/13/rap...tioned-in-potential-trade-scenario-with-suns/

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Saw a proposed trade between Toronto & Phoenix for Valanciunas for Chandler. It would be to help get Toronto down below the luxury tax line and they'd save roughly $3 million by making the trade. He is owed more annually than Chandler and also has a player option for the 2019/20 season at $17.6 million but he's only 25 years old. He would improve our front court offensively and give us a solid rebounding big. He's always played alongside solid PF's, like Ibaka and Patrick Patterson who both rebound well but he still averaged 9.5 rpg last year, 8.5 for his career. He's an upgrade offensively also, while he only averaged 12 ppg last year he shot 55% from the field and 81% from the FT line, that was being the 4th or 5th option behind DeRozen, Lowry, Ibaka, and Carroll. Sure, he'd probably help us win more games but I'm not on board with tanking, especially to start the season. I'm in favor of improving with our youth and Valanciunas could be a piece of our young core going forward if he pans out since he's just 25 and only a year older than Warren or Len, is still improving, and has been durable throughout his career, playing in 80+ games 3 times in his 5 years and 62 his rookie year and 60 in 2015/16.

We could sweeten the pot if need be by including Derrick Jones Jr or giving them back their 2nd round pick we got in the Tucker deal. They don't want to pay the luxury tax enough they dumped DeMarre Carroll and a 1st rounder for Justin Hamilton, essentially giving him away. That helped them get under the luxury tax when it was calculated this summer, before FA started. I think swapping Jonas for Tyson might be enough on it's own though. Including that 2nd round pick isn't a big loss on our part and neither is DJJ, who is on a minimal salary but since they lost Carroll and Tucker in free agency they might need another wing, especially one they control for the next few years on a really small contract.

http://hoopshype.com/2017/10/13/rap...tioned-in-potential-trade-scenario-with-suns/

He might be a good option if Len or the draft don't pan out... something in reserve.

As far as tanking or not tanking...the suns are going to lose it just depends on how badly.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think this would be a good trade opportunity for the Suns so long as they do not have to include a a first round pick. Let the draft take care of itself.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I like the trade from Chandler's POV. You trade him to a winner and you don't burn any bridges in the process.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the trade from Chandler's POV. You trade him to a winner and you don't burn any bridges in the process.

Let's hope Chandler likes Toronto. The Suns asked him if he was interested in being traded last season and he declined.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Let's hope Chandler likes Toronto. The Suns asked him if he was interested in being traded last season and he declined.

How did Chandlers status ever get so elevated? He didn't get us in the playoffs...he didn't bring us Aldridge...he didn't help Len to a point where we notice. He didn't put up killer stats in his own right.

Plus it's seems silly anyway. Almost anywhere is better than here. We finished with the second worst record. I mean is this his dream team?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True.
I would not mind if Chandler were to be traded or if he wanted to stay in Phoenix.

I would like the trade but Chandler was reportedly offered the opportunity to be traded and he wanted to stay.

The Suns respected his wishes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did Chandlers status ever get so elevated? He didn't get us in the playoffs...he didn't bring us Aldridge...he didn't help Len to a point where we notice. He didn't put up killer stats in his own right.

Plus it's seems silly anyway. Almost anywhere is better than here. We finished with the second worst record. I mean is this his dream team?

I am just saying the Suns respected Chandler's wish to stay last season rather than being traded.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Chandler wanted to stay rather than be moved midseason. That surely alerted him to the possibility of us moving him though and he should have packed a bag, just in case, because like Pokerface said, he hasn't done anything here to warrant special treatment. I can see offering a veteran the option though midseason considering the Suns went full rebuild/youth movement after it looked like we were going all out to compete for the playoffs, signing Chandler and hopefully Aldridge.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Chandler wanted to stay rather than be moved midseason. That surely alerted him to the possibility of us moving him though and he should have packed a bag, just in case, because like Pokerface said, he hasn't done anything here to warrant special treatment. I can see offering a veteran the option though midseason considering the Suns went full rebuild/youth movement after it looked like we were going all out to compete for the playoffs, signing Chandler and hopefully Aldridge.

Here is what I think happened.

The Suns could have traded Chandler to a contender last season but they would have received only token compensation in return. It was not enough for the Suns to pull trigger unless Chandler wanted to be traded. They asked Chandler about it but he was content staying with the Suns.

Now if the Suns receive something they like in return for Chandler, perhaps a player like Valanciunas, I think the Suns pull the trigger. Chandler goes to a contender and the Suns get a young center in return not named Len.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA