Opening Day Roster for the 2017/18 Season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Team's are allowed 15 players on their roster and 2 additional roster spots for players signed to Two-Way contracts. Right now we have 14 players on guaranteed contracts for this season and have already signed 2 players to Two-Way contracts. The 14 players under contract for next season are Tyson Chandler, Alex Len, Alan Williams, Jared Dudley, Marquese Chriss, Dragan Bender, TJ Warren, Josh Jackson, Devin Booker, Troy Daniels, Davon Reed, Eric Bledsoe, Tyler Ulis, and Brandon Knight. We have Alec Peters and Mike James signed to Two-Way contracts also. That leaves 1 roster spot for Derrick Jones Jr, Elijah Millsap, Anthony Bennett, and Peter Jok to compete for. We could always waive one of the players on Two-Way contracts and sign someone else to one but I'm not sure they'll do that.

We have Knight and Williams out for extended periods already, with Knight missing the entire season due to his ACL injury & surgery. Williams is out for 6 months with a meniscus tear. Davon Reed will also miss the next 4-6 months after surgery to repair his meniscus. Jared Dudley had offseason surgery on June 27th to repair a ligament in his toe, with original estimates that he'd be out for 3-4 months. Dudley should be ready by opening day though.

So what will our lineup look like this year?
I think this is how our depth chart will look on opening day, barring any other trades....

Center: Tyson Chandler Bench: Alex Len
Power Forward: Marquese Chriss Bench: Dragan Bender
Small Forward: TJ Warren Bench: Josh Jackson
Shooting Guard: Devin Booker Bench: Tony Daniels
Point Guard: Eric Bledsoe Bench: Tyler Ulis

Injured/Inactive: Alan Williams, Davon Reed, Brandon Knight, and Jared Dudley

We looked like we'd have some depth across our lineup before getting hit with a string of injuries. We're still not hurting for players at any particular position though, except maybe Center. That's only because Chandler won't be here in 2 years and Len's contract is up after this season. Williams is too undersized to be a starting Center but he's a good backup C/PF.

Some questions throughout training camp and preseason will be, who will our starting forwards be? I could see Warren and Jackson starting together, not sure if that will happen early in the year or not though.

Who will get the final roster spot? Jones Jr, Bennett, Jok, or Millsap.
Can the Suns keep everyone throughout preseason and make the cut after preseason is over or does the team have to be trimmed down to 15 for the preseason?

How much time will Mike James and Alec Peters see on the floor for the Suns? I think both will see some time, James will because of the injury to Knight and I'm looking forward to seeing Peters play. He looks like a decent stretch 4. I think he's ready for the NBA after 4 years in college but will he be able to produce, will he be more like Teletovic or Jon Leuer in the NBA.

Will they make another trade before the season starts? Possibly moving one of our vets so we can keep another youngster around.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
One of the things I was really excited about was the second unit of Ullis, Reed, Jackson, Bender, and Williams. So much energy and defense in that group. Don't know enough about Daniels, but I will try to get excited about Len. This team desperately needs shooting. If Warren, Jackson, Chris, and Bender want more playing time, they should be shooting thousands of threes every day in the gym.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of the things I was really excited about was the second unit of Ullis, Reed, Jackson, Bender, and Williams. So much energy and defense in that group. Don't know enough about Daniels, but I will try to get excited about Len. This team desperately needs shooting. If Warren, Jackson, Chris, and Bender want more playing time, they should be shooting thousands of threes every day in the gym.

For sure. As far as development goes, the only thing we lack is shooting. Booker is a phenomenal shooter, but the quality teams around the league usually have like 3 guys on the court at all times who can hurt you from deep. Those 4 you mentioned should be working on their shot all day, if any of them added a consistent 3 pointer to their arsenal they'd instantly be an above average starter.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be something if Bennett ....

Nah.

Think it JC... think it.

No harm in having positive thoughts. We will find out soon enough. The light finally came on for Hassan Whiteside.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Think it JC... think it.

No harm in having positive thoughts. We will find out soon enough. The light finally came on for Hassan Whiteside.

But this team has so many SF prospects.

Warren, JJ, DJJr, Bennett, even Bender. I would just love to get one superstar out of that bunch.

We have heard about JJ from camp, and DJJr. I haven't heard a peep about Bennett. Has anyone. I would think that is not a good sign.

He is headed for the NAZSuns and maybe he can develop some.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But this team has so many SF prospects.

Warren, JJ, DJJr, Bennett, even Bender. I would just love to get one superstar out of that bunch.

We have heard about JJ from camp, and DJJr. I haven't heard a peep about Bennett. Has anyone. I would think that is not a good sign.

He is headed for the NAZSuns and maybe he can develop some.

I haven't heard anything about Bennett either. Actually I would like to hear more news about the Suns from camp. In general, I find Suns coverage to be lacking or at least not what I would like it to be.

In regard to all the SFs, I'd like to think they can play more than one position especially Warren, Jackson and Bender. This is the new NBA that is drifting toward positionless players.

IMO, the best player from the bunch that can be a superstar is Jackson. I think Warren could surprise if he were switched to PF. Who knows about Bender. He is so young that if he ever develops physically, he could be a dominant player.

I main thing I took from your previous post is to be optimistic. Before the Suns traded Nash to the Mavericks, I questioned whether he would ever become a good player. Even Joe Johnson had his doubters although I was not one of them.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw Bledsoe mentioned that Derrick Jones Jr looks like the most improved player on the team according to Bledsoe. That assessment might tell you that he'll get the final roster spot. I thought it was his to lose and it seems like the team feels the same way.

http://www.nba.com/suns/blog/derrick-jones-jr-suns-most-improved-player

Great news to hear. I was thinking Derrick Jones Jr might be a bubble player. Have to like his desire to be a great defensive player. His athleticism is off the charts.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything about Bennett either. Actually I would like to hear more news about the Suns from camp. In general, I find Suns coverage to be lacking or at least not what I would like it to be.

In regard to all the SFs, I'd like to think they can play more than one position especially Warren, Jackson and Bender. This is the new NBA that is drifting toward positionless players.

IMO, the best player from the bunch that can be a superstar is Jackson. I think Warren could surprise if he were switched to PF. Who knows about Bender. He is so young that if he ever develops physically, he could be a dominant player.

I main thing I took from your previous post is to be optimistic. Before the Suns traded Nash to the Mavericks, I questioned whether he would ever become a good player. Even Joe Johnson had his doubters although I was not one of them.

I doubted Joe Johnson. I didn't like the trade for him and wasn't a fan of his until his final year here, which was Nash's first season back. I was on the fence about him not getting an extension before the season. I understood ownership's POV and he should have understood that the team was just sold and not to take it so personally. However with what the Suns gave up to get him, Tony Delk & Rodney Rogers, and how much he played after we traded Marbury & Penny away I wondered why they didn't lock him up. Clearly he was someone who the Front Office and Coaches valued.

JJ is a player you can look at to see how much positions have changed in the modern NBA. He was a shooting guard here, who we also played at PG occasionally, 13 years ago. He went to Atlanta as SG but he started getting moved to SF more in Brooklyn around 2014. Now in Utah he's been playing both forward spots, SF & PF. Kind of like how Dudley is now considered a PF since he's been brought back but when we originally acquired him in 2008 from Charlotte he was a SF who played a good amount at SG also.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubted Joe Johnson. I didn't like the trade for him and wasn't a fan of his until his final year here, which was Nash's first season back. I was on the fence about him not getting an extension before the season. I understood ownership's POV and he should have understood that the team was just sold and not to take it so personally. However with what the Suns gave up to get him, Tony Delk & Rodney Rogers, and how much he played after we traded Marbury & Penny away I wondered why they didn't lock him up. Clearly he was someone who the Front Office and Coaches valued.

JJ is a player you can look at to see how much positions have changed in the modern NBA. He was a shooting guard here, who we also played at PG occasionally, 13 years ago. He went to Atlanta as SG but he started getting moved to SF more in Brooklyn around 2014. Now in Utah he's been playing both forward spots, SF & PF. Kind of like how Dudley is now considered a PF since he's been brought back but when we originally acquired him in 2008 from Charlotte he was a SF who played a good amount at SG also.

I liked Joe Johnson a lot and I was extremely upset the Suns did not give him an extension over a salary difference which was not huge. IMO, it was just a matter of time before his game exploded. When Sarver told him to go prove himself, I knew he was gone.

In regard to the different positions he has played, I think if the Suns had traded Marion because of financial constraints, Johnson could have moved to PF seamlessly for the Suns. He would have been a modern day PF back then. I liked Marion as well but the Suns could have traded him for tremendous value and kept the more versatile Johnson.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We had some very talented players in those days, but some seemed to be insecure. I think especially of Joe Johnson and Shawn Marion. We gave Shawn Marion a max deal and he still felt he was disrespected, I assume it was his name came up in trade talks. Joe Johnson also seemed to be easily manipulated by others into being convinced he was not appreciated--just like Antonio McDyess before him.

It makes you appreciate the players that seem to be screwed on right like Booker, Nash, Tyson, and others. Even Bledsoe seems to be taking all the trade talks of the last summer in stride. Since we got rid of the twins, the sailing has been pretty good.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns 2004-05 roster was awesome with Steve Nash, Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire. It was an elite roster with none of the above players drafted earlier than #9.

Also great because the Suns drafted three of the players.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. I will bite. My understanding is that we can carry 15 on the roster, plus two two-way contracts.

Guaranteed starters barring trades or injuries:
PG--Eric Bledsoe
SG--Devin Booker

Likely starters, but there could be a surprise:
C--Tyson Chandler

Competing for a starting spot:
SF--TJ Warren and Josh Jackson
PF--Marquese Chriss, TJ Warren and Dragan Bender as a dark horse

Regular rotation (not including guaranteed or likely starters):
PG--Tyler Ulis
SG--Troy Daniels, Josh Jackson, Dudley
SF--TJ Warren, Josh Jackson
PF--Marquese Chriss, Dragan Bender, TJ Warren
C--Marquese Chriss, Dragan Bender, Alex Len

Likely roster spot (11 players):
Guaranteed: Bledsoe, Ulis, Booker, JJ, TJ, Chriss, Bender, Len, Chandler, Dudley
Likely: Daniels

Injured but on the roster (3 players):
Knight, Reed, Williams

Two-way contracts (2 players):
James, Alec Peters

Competing for the final spot:
Jones Jr. Bennett, Jok, Millsap. This is Derrick's job to lose. If Bennett wants to make this roster, he has to outplay DJJr. I see Jok and Millsap either cut or signing with NAZSuns. That is probably the most likely scenario for Bennett too. If one of these players REALLY shows something, they could cut Knight or, as Kingdad said, cut one of the two-way contracts. But whoever is chosen ahead would have to sign a two-way deal.

In the end, this is almost exactly what Kingdad said to begin with, because well, its really pretty obvious. It goes to show why adding more draft picks next year is not really a good option. We won't have the roster flexibility to even evaluate the players and determine who should stay and who should go. Its probably time to trade multiple players for some better asset if the deal is available.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the interest of avoiding overlong threads, a follow up.

If we were to try to combine assets in trade to gain some roster flexibility there are some considerations.

Players we do not want to trade: Booker, Josh Jackson
Players we cannot trade: TJ Warren, Sauce, Len
Players who are untradeable: Knight
Players who will not fetch much in trade: Jones, Peters, Daniels, James, Reed

Candidates left as potential trade candidates: Bledsoe, Dudley, Chandler, Chriss, Bender, Ulis,

Of these,

Ulis will not net his value.
Chandler and Dudley might be able to be moved, but not for more than their cap space.

So. Our only candidates to combine to get a better asset are Bledsoe and one of Chriss or Bender. Bledsoe for a pick works, or Bledsoe and one (or both) of the other two for a player or pick. That's it. We can consolidate future picks for a better pick as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If McDonough is on target with his recent comments, trading Bledsoe, Chandler or Dudley makes a lot of sense rather than let their contracts expire after the 2018-19 season.

See below.

“Our plan at this point is internal growth and development,” McDonough said.

That could change in 2019, however, when the salaries of Tyson Chandler, Eric Bledsoe and Jared Dudley (a combined $38 million) are off the books.

“If you look at our cap sheets, we have a decent amount of cap space in the summer of 2019,” McDonough said. “We have the potential of getting back in the free agent market.”

In the sentence in bold, McDonough is looking at Bledsoe as expiring contract among other players.

I don't think the Suns want contracts of value to expire without compensation. So I think the Suns will be trying to trade some of these players at the trade deadline or minimally next summer for a key asset unless the Suns miraculously become competitive. Even then they will need to make room on their roster as you note.

I think Bledsoe will be one of these players traded at the trade deadline with other assets for a key player to team falling out of the playoff orbit.

In the proposed trade for Kyrie Irving, the Suns were willing to include Bledsoe, Bender and a first round pick.

I can see Chandler and Dudley being traded for future picks or as filler in a trade as well.

Or, maybe the Suns will need to use their own second round picks to help move these players.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Dudley was, I assume, brought back for sentimental reasons and to mentor some of the young players.

Does he really have trade value to any other team?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dudley was, I assume, brought back for sentimental reasons and to mentor some of the young players.

Does he really have trade value to any other team?
I don't think so. Chandler might have some value to a playoff team. Bledsoe is the real value. Then the picks. Then the young players depending on how they are looking.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Dudley has any trade value unless it's to the Bucks, because they're familiar with him as a veteran leader. Outside of a trade there I think we're stuck with him until the final year when he might have value as an expiring contract. I think we should keep Chandler or Dudley but it's not necessary to keep both.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler had the chance to leave and he decided to stay. Not sure it was the best choice for him or the team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave