NBA draft picks trade rumors

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He's that old? That actually changes things for me.

It doesn't for me. I don't think that the fantasy scenario of having a team of 21-year-olds who all mature into stars five years later is realistic. Any successful team has a mixture of youth and veterans, and most teams in the league are interested in quality veterans at the right time. So there's very little downside to acquiring a star in the middle of his career, if you can get him for a fair price.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am with Eric. "Fantasy" is the perfect word to describe this scenario of a bunch of kids becoming stars five years from now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't for me. I don't think that the fantasy scenario of having a team of 21-year-olds who all mature into stars five years later is realistic. Any successful team has a mixture of youth and veterans, and most teams in the league are interested in quality veterans at the right time. So there's very little downside to acquiring a star in the middle of his career, if you can get him for a fair price.

I don't know... if you draft right and make smart decisions the youth movement is how you can build a DYNASTY. Like the Warriors did (even before Durant) and like OKC should have done if they didn't go Sarver on The Beard's contract extension.

Or hell... even close to what the Suns were doing putting Amare/Marion/JJ together. I get putting a Nash with those guys, because they... eh... I don't know what this has to do with much.

I guess I don't see... eh. I don't know.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You're just a pessimist and a cynic. You're always the dissenting voice in every thread, which isn't a bad thing, it's good to have someone question the majority and play devil's advocate occasionally. I can't recall the last positive thing you've said about the Suns, any of the prospects in this draft, or the future of the team. It's always doom and gloom without offering any solutions to the problems you point out. How do you build a contender then, because there are a ton of examples of teams built the exact way the Suns are building theirs right now, with the best example being the Warriors.

The Warriors drafted their talent and let them develop together, adding only vets like Iggy who was headed towards a decline but still a valuable vet for leadership that can contribute at a decent level. They won a title and made it to the finals 2 years in a row with that team. They added Durant this year but that only turned them into indisputable favorites for the title every year so long as they keep their core intact. The Durant signing broke up OKC who was built through the draft in the same exact way. They were legit title contenders the last 5 years and even after losing their best player they're still a playoff team.

San Antonio fall in that mold as well but they've been at it longer. Utah is another team that has managed to build their team through the draft with Hayward, Gobert, Rodney Hood, and Favors. They've developed into a solid playoff contender without any major moves, their biggest move was adding George Hill, which isn't much. The same can be said for a number of other teams, they drafted really well and let their players develop together while adding 1 or 2 players through trades or Free Agency to get them over the hump. Washington, Boston, Milwaukee, and Portland falls in that category.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The suns had "vets" on the team last season and we had the second worst record. Tucker, Chandler, Dudley, Bledsoe...all experienced veterans. Not saying veterans don't help but just saying it can be overrated. One could even make the argument that a vet can hinder a players development by eating into their game minutes...and game time experience is probably one of the most educational tools to be had. So having vets can be a mixed blessing on some level.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought the Suns are staying with the young guns. Draft Issac and role with Booker, Bled, Warren. Run and gun is the NBA today.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
DeAndre Jordan seems like too similar a piece to Tyson Chandler...younger and a little better maybe but very similar. I don't think thisnisna real possibility.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DeAndre Jordan seems like too similar a piece to Tyson Chandler...younger and a little better maybe but very similar. I don't think thisnisna real possibility.

This is true. I cannot see both on the same team.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Gross! I hope this is nonsense. If we're going to trade the #4 for a star, I'd rather cut out Cleveland and get Butler for ourselves.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You're just a pessimist and a cynic. You're always the dissenting voice in every thread, which isn't a bad thing, it's good to have someone question the majority and play devil's advocate occasionally.

Gee, thanks.

I can't recall the last positive thing you've said about the Suns, any of the prospects in this draft, or the future of the team.

Well that's on you. I've frequently said that I'm high on Chriss. I like Tatum and Isaac in this draft. I don't like Ball or Jackson, and I don't see the point in drafting Fox. Fultz would have been good, but oh well.

As for the future of the team, the Suns did well in the Dragic trade, and I'm glad that they've hung onto those picks so far. But yeah, they've made some bad moves that have set them back; I don't see any advantage to denying that.

It's always doom and gloom without offering any solutions to the problems you point out.

The immediate context is my support of how DeAndre Jordan could help the Suns. I guess that's not "offering a solution," but it's hardly "doom and gloom" either.

How do you build a contender then, because there are a ton of examples of teams built the exact way the Suns are building theirs right now, with the best example being the Warriors.

I'm not going to rehash the tired question of "how you build a contender," because we all know that there are as many answers to that question as there are contenders.

The Warriors' core (besides Durant) was drafted by them, but they didn't restrict themselves to that. Besides Iguodala, they've relied heavily on Livingston, and to a lesser extent on Bogut and Pachulia. They didn't have someone in the front office say, "Oh, well it would be foolish to bring in Iguodala, because he's older than the young core we've drafted."

San Antonio fall in that mold as well but they've been at it longer.

The Jordan question, as I see it, is whether your core players all need to be the same age, not whether they all need to be home-grown. So San Antonio is an example that supports my side of the argument. They've always had a mix of young and old players.

Utah is another team that has managed to build their team through the draft with Hayward, Gobert, Rodney Hood, and Favors. They've developed into a solid playoff contender without any major moves, their biggest move was adding George Hill, which isn't much.

Utah's going nowhere, give me a break. They're the quintessential 50-and-fade team.

The same can be said for a number of other teams, they drafted really well

I can't even figure out what the basis of your criticism is, other than a gratuitous attack against some cardboard cliche you've made me out to be. I want the Suns to keep their draft picks. If they think they can trade down a couple of spots to get Isaac and another asset (as Chris Sanders has speculated), that's great. I've expressed enthusiasm for that idea more than once on this board, which again undermines your "doom and gloom" characterization.

I've always respected your posts, but I have my doubts about your reading skills and/or memory.

Last edited:

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Gross! I hope this is nonsense. If we're going to trade the #4 for a star, I'd rather cut out Cleveland and get Butler for ourselves.

As far as I can tell, this is where that info is coming from...

Hardly a "report" from Windhorst, unless I'm missing something.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Also...if the 4th pick could get you Butler (a much better fit for the Suns, younger and better than Love), why on earth would you trade it for Love?

Not sure I would even want Butler for the 4th pick, but trading it for Love would be crazy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, this is where that info is coming from...

Hardly a "report" from Windhorst, unless I'm missing something.

Good god, I really hope that report isn't true. I would have called for McD's immediate firing if he gave up that pick for trash like Kevin Love.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok. Something's up. Griffin gone. Love on the trading block. Rumors flying about LeBrons wife wanting to live full-time in LA. LeBron tweets to griffin about we got al least one. We have seen this before.

LeBrons going to LA. Watch. He is all about building his legend. He got a championship in Cleveland. He is done there. Now he can be the one who brings the Lakers back to glory--and makes even more dough in the process. LeBron signs as a free agent. They add Paul George.

Wonder how that Laker pick will turn out now?

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good god, I really hope that report isn't true. I would have called for McD's immediate firing if he gave up that pick for trash like Kevin Love.

I'm pretty sure it isn't true. I think it's like that old game "telephone", but with twitter.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Something's up. Griffin gone. Love on the trading block. Rumors flying about LeBrons wife wanting to live full-time in LA. LeBron tweets to griffin about we got al least one. We have seen this before.

LeBrons going to LA. Watch. He is all about building his legend. He got a championship in Cleveland. He is done there. Now he can be the one who brings the Lakers back to glory--and makes even more dough in the process. LeBron signs as a free agent. They add Paul George.

Wonder how that Laker pick will turn out now?

My thoughts exactly. Trading the Lakers pick for Knight was a bad move but it makes me feel better if it is a later pick.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. Trading the Lakers pick for Knight was a bad move but it makes me feel better if it is a later pick.
The Lakers winning more games never makes me feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Lakers with George and Lebron aren't as good as the current Cavs roster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard