DCU: Suicide Squad

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I wanted to like it but it fell flat. I love the Harley Quinn character and Robbie in the short shorts but everything else was kind of a mess. The "bad guys" were stupid also.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harley Quinn was really good (and Robbie is just the hottest thing next to the Sun). Will Smith was solidly Will Smith and it wasn't nearly as awful as the reviews make it seem. Just seemed like s complete missed opportunity to do a lot more.

And The Joker wasn't bad, wasn't good. Was just... there. Which is the WORST thing he could be. A Joker who's a seeming non-entity that doesn't do much of anything, much less anything maniacally brilliant is pointless. They had an opportunity in his Arkham intro to do something, anything there and it was just going through the motions writing wise. I don't blame Leto. He just wasn't given anything to do. To be honest, there really seemed zero reason to even have him in the movie except to tell non-comic book fans why Harley belongs in this group.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Harley Quinn was really good (and Robbie is just the hottest thing next to the Sun). Will Smith was solidly Will Smith and it wasn't nearly as awful as the reviews make it seem. Just seemed like s complete missed opportunity to do a lot more.

And The Joker wasn't bad, wasn't good. Was just... there. Which is the WORST thing he could be. A Joker who's a seeming non-entity that doesn't do much of anything, much less anything maniacally brilliant is pointless. They had an opportunity in his Arkham intro to do something, anything there and it was just going through the motions writing wise. I don't blame Leto. He just wasn't given anything to do. To be honest, there really seemed zero reason to even have him in the movie except to tell non-comic book fans why Harley belongs in this group.

My kids and I saw it today and I felt similar to you. Quinn definitely stole the show. I enjoyed when the Joker was on the screen but he wasn't there long enough to even remotely flesh out the character. Lots of rumors that tons of Joker stuff was left on the cutting room floor because it was "too dark". Seems like a shame.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny how every review here seems pretty much the same.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to see this today with the family. Much like Batman vs Superman it was nowhere near as bad as critics said. Entertaining movie. It was no Avengers and no Captain America Civil War but entertaining just the same. I agree with some of what was already said....felt like a missed opportunity. It felt like with a few tweaks it could have been something special.

Honestly take Margot Robbie and Will Smith out of the movie and this movie might deserve some of the bad reviews. Loved Harley. She nailed the part. PERIOD.

Have to say....Leto sucked. Not going to sugar coat it. I think part of it was the writing but honestly he was a bad guy that just looked like The Joker. He had no clue how to express the Jokers insanity with his facial expressions. He unlike Heath and Jack couldn't seem to grasp the nuances in facial expressions that made the last two actors so great. Instead he played him like a cliche psychopath. Even Heath's version was unconventional but during certain scenes you could see the wheels turning and the Joker struggling with his insanity/inner demons. Leto? None of that.

The other bad guys in this movie were boring. The Enchantress and her brother were pretty lame. The weapon was lame. Honestly, it was the interactions with the Suicide Squad that kept the movie afloat. Those and the actions sequences with them were far and away the best parts of the movie.

Despite everything it was nice to see the DC universe connecting and at least interjecting some fun into the movies. Batfleck and Harley are probably to two best things going for DC right now.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I was worried it would fall rather flat and just be an average movie. Unfortunately, it didn't nearly live up to those extremely low expectations. I can't believe I'd ever say this (or that they'd be idiotic enough to have a character called Colonel Flagg), but...

You must be registered for see images attach

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I was worried it would fall rather flat and just be an average movie. Unfortunately, it didn't nearly live up to those extremely low expectations. I can't believe I'd ever say this (or that they'd be idiotic enough to have a character called Colonel Flagg), but...

You must be registered for see images attach
We don't agree much, but a meme with Colonel Flagg pretty much wins this thread.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jared Leto: I shot enough ‘Suicide Squad’ footage for an entire Joker movie, wanted R rating

http://batman-news.com/2016/08/07/jared-leto-suicide-squad-footage-joker-movie/

Jared Leto isn’t holding back anymore. He after he broke the news that a lot of Joker scenes had been cut for Suicide Squad, he did some other interviews where he sounded a bit annoyed. Now it’s beginning to sound like he’s a little heartbroken over the whole thing. And understandably so!

While promoting Suicide Squad in the UK, Leto appeared on BBC Radio 1 with host Edith Bowman. Leto said that certain scenes that he shot with Margot Robbie that ended up getting cut were some of his favorite work he’s ever done in a movie. He then went on to say that he shot enough footage for them to make an entire Joker movie out of!

“I think that I brought so much to the table in every scene that it was probably more about filtering all of the insanity, because I wanted to give a lot of options, and I think there’s probably enough footage in this film for a Joker movie,” Leto explained. “If I were to die tomorrow maybe the studio would roll something out.”

That’s really disappointing to hear, considering The Joker got 10 minutes of screen time at the very most in Suicide Squad.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah, I actually thought Leto did a pretty good job--he was just given crap to work with in the script.
he wasn't terrible.... just wasn't as good as what came before... my favorite spot with him was when the convict guy kissed his ring and he swung into his lap... that scene he did a very good job because it was seductive and spontaneous and was the only time it didn't feel like he was "trying" to be crazy.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, if Leto wasn't playing The Joker, I probably would have said he did a good job playing a psychopath cliche bad guy. However, it was The Joker. That's why IMO he sucked. That was not The Joker. That was a shell of the character.

Reaction score
For me, if Leto wasn't playing The Joker, I probably would have said he did a good job playing a psychopath cliche bad guy. However, it was The Joker. That's why IMO he sucked. That was not The Joker. That was a shell of the character.

Maybe his best parts ended up on the floor if they filmed as much of him as he says. :shrug:

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Game set and match! Marvel you win.

I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said...

Cutting room floor or not the Joker just wasn't. Really made me appreciate Ledger's performance. Watching Leto as Joker was a like a bad roller coaster. There were a couple of spots that I thought he nailed, but the rest of it was.... blah. Complete waste of a character.

The individual characters had their moments, but as a group it just didn't seem to work.

Thank gawd Robbie was in fish nets and skimpy shorts.

If DC doesn't hit it out of the park with WW, they might as well just reboot everything.

One of the worst parts of the movie came when the witch asked Waller how to defeat earths armies.

Geezus fookin' eh you're a damn witch that has created some bizarre swirly vortex thing with all kinds of rubble swirling around and can convert human into pudding zombies, and you have no clue how to defeat mankind's armies?

Who wrote this rubbish?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game set and match! Marvel you win.

I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said...

Cutting room floor or not the Joker just wasn't. Really made me appreciate Ledger's performance. Watching Leto as Joker was a like a bad roller coaster. There were a couple of spots that I thought he nailed, but the rest of it was.... blah. Complete waste of a character.

The individual characters had their moments, but as a group it just didn't seem to work.

Thank gawd Robbie was in fish nets and skimpy shorts.

If DC doesn't hit it out of the park with WW, they might as well just reboot everything.

unfortunately, this (and Bats v. Supes) made and are making so much money, that they don't need to reboot anything to keep getting people into the theaters.

As of now, despite a good trailer for WW, I'm just going to assume it's a massive train wreck. Suicide had great marketing and left us with a massive meh of a movie. BvS had really mediocre trailers and left us with a mass of peanut-laced poop. Just gonna assume the worst when it comes this franchise at this point.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
yeah, the reboot comment was somewhat sarcastic. I know they're making money so they'll keep chuggin along and with Snyder at some capacity too.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
unfortunately, this (and Bats v. Supes) made and are making so much money, that they don't need to reboot anything to keep getting people into the theaters.

As of now, despite a good trailer for WW, I'm just going to assume it's a massive train wreck. Suicide had great marketing and left us with a massive meh of a movie. BvS had really mediocre trailers and left us with a mass of peanut-laced poop. Just gonna assume the worst when it comes this franchise at this point.

Not so. They said they need to make something like 700-800 mill just to break even with Suicide Squad. I'm not sure why--maybe marketing costs or whatever--but will they even reach that?

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that BvS even though it made a chunk of change still sent the studio execs into panic mode about this movie and the future of DC properties (shakeup). So, if this movie performs in a similar fashion it will be interesting to see what is next.

JL is going to be a train wreck considering who is at the helm. Honestly, the only potential bright spots is going to be Batfleck's movie and maybe WW.

If BvS sent the studio into panic mode, I would have to imagine they might be thinking more drastic measures are needed if the next couple perform at the same level.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought movies needed to make double, worldwide, the production budget to break even.

Either way the Fri/Sat drop off is quite high given they hype.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=dc2016.htm

it's on pace right now with Deadpool and has had bigger tues/wed/thurs then any Civil War/Deadpool/Bats v. Supes. It'll end up 300 million at least domestic, and i'm betting tops out at 7-800 worldwide. Have to believe that more then breaks even especially when ancillary markets haven't even started coming in. As bad as this movie is, it's making a ton of moolah.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
it's on pace right now with Deadpool and has had bigger tues/wed/thurs then any Civil War/Deadpool/Bats v. Supes. It'll end up 300 million at least domestic, and i'm betting tops out at 7-800 worldwide. Have to believe that more then breaks even especially when ancillary markets haven't even started coming in. As bad as this movie is, it's making a ton of moolah.
You're betting, eh? Didn't you learn your lesson last time? :D

I'd be mighty surprised if it passes $700mill. It dropped 40% on its second day; that's worse than BvS - not even remotely close to Deadpool 10% or Civil War 19% - and the characters aren't nearly as popular with the general public. Notoriety is what BvS had going for it.

It's like a lead brick.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deadpool had a budget of $58 Million to $175 million for Suicide Squad. So even if the box office ends up being close, it's still not even close.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose