Sunderland AFC

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
That game should have been 4-1 today.

Another great escape. I wouldn't know what to do if they were mid-table.

They have had to escape every year I have been watching. It is like I expect it now.
Start horrible, change managers and have to pull off a miracle at the end.

Next season I would like to see them get off to a good start for once.

4-1 is spot on. The ref a had nightmare, but was good to seem some of the U21's get a run out and do ok.

Mid table has to be the target, we cant keep rolling the dice and getting lucky. Plus we cant count on the wins against the Mags anymore :lol:

US_Mackem

Reaction score
Totally agree, 4-1. Never a penalty for them, and two perfectly good goals ruled out. Kevin Friend has never been remotely good to us.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That game should have been 4-1 today.

Another great escape. I wouldn't know what to do if they were mid-table.

They have had to escape every year I have been watching. It is like I expect it now.
Start horrible, change managers and have to pull off a miracle at the end.

Next season I would like to see them get off to a good start for once.

Me too. I mean, I don't want them making Europe or anything, but I do want three northeast clubs in the premiership in the 2017-2018 season.

I suppose I'll root for Middlesborough in the Premiership this season, and for Sunderland to stay up. I wonder if that's taboo for a Newcastle fan lol

US_Mackem

Reaction score
Me too. I mean, I don't want them making Europe or anything, but I do want three northeast clubs in the premiership in the 2017-2018 season.

I suppose I'll root for Middlesborough in the Premiership this season, and for Sunderland to stay up. I wonder if that's taboo for a Newcastle fan lol

Taboo??? I only support 2 teams: Sunderland; whoever's playing Newcastle ;)

English on tour

Reaction score
Taboo??? I only support 2 teams: Sunderland; whoever's playing Newcastle ;)

Very much this!

Back in the day (either side of WWII), my Grandad used to Sunderland one week and Newcastle the next, but you don't get many/any that do that these days. But then he was a top man my Grandad.

US_Mackem

Reaction score
I can believe that, in fact, I've heard of that before. My dad and my uncle knew older guys who supported both teams. Slightly different, my dad enjoyed rugby, and was happy to support Newcastle Falcons as a successful NE rugby team.

English on tour

Reaction score
I can believe that, in fact, I've heard of that before. My dad and my uncle knew older guys who supported both teams. Slightly different, my dad enjoyed rugby, and was happy to support Newcastle Falcons as a successful NE rugby team.

Sore subject the Falcons for me, they used to be Gosforth RFC (about 5 mins from where I grew up on the outskirts of Newcastle) and we a run of the mill amateur team that I used to go and watch until Sir John Hall bought them, and turned them into the Falcons. He also bought up the Durham Wasps Ice hockey team and turned them up into the cobra (now the vipers) and also the Sunderland 76ers Basketball team and shifted them all to Newcastle. He wanted to have a Barcelona type sporting empire, but lost a lot of hardcore fans and every single one failed under the Evil empire. All, apart from the Vipers (who now play at Whitley Bay where I live) are doing ok after being sold about 15 years ago.

Anyway, one mans vision/wet dream screwed a lot of people over round these parts. Not that I'm bitter :lol:

English on tour

Reaction score
Fixtures released today, Man City away first game, away Boxing Day (my favourite fixture of the year) and away last game to Chelsea. The 'computer' has shafted us again!

US_Mackem

Reaction score
Normal service has been resumed.

Jeez, what a summer. Just when we're looking forward to building on the momentum from the end of last season, Big Sam gets poached by the FA, and throws us into turmoil. Now, I'm not blaming Big Sam. I believe that the England job has always been his dream, but the way that the FA handled the whole process was criminal. Absolutely no consideration for SAFC.

Enter David Moyes, who was apparently Ellis Short's first choice for the last 5 managerial appointments. Listening to his press talks so far, I like what I'm hearing. He doesn't sound like a guy who's going to stand for any nonsense. And by the looks of what's going on at the club right now, that trait will be severely tested.

After two narrow defeats, I'm keeping the faith.

Stout

Reaction score
Normal service has been resumed.

Jeez, what a summer. Just when we're looking forward to building on the momentum from the end of last season, Big Sam gets poached by the FA, and throws us into turmoil. Now, I'm not blaming Big Sam. I believe that the England job has always been his dream, but the way that the FA handled the whole process was criminal. Absolutely no consideration for SAFC.

Enter David Moyes, who was apparently Ellis Short's first choice for the last 5 managerial appointments. Listening to his press talks so far, I like what I'm hearing. He doesn't sound like a guy who's going to stand for any nonsense. And by the looks of what's going on at the club right now, that trait will be severely tested.

After two narrow defeats, I'm keeping the faith.

I think Moyes might just save you guys. If anyone can, after what the FA did to you lot, he can. And I agree, that was ridiculous. Have you lot brought anyone in? Did you lose Kone? I heard he might be leaving. We're about to sign Yedlin--he just had a medical--but I'm wavering as to whether this is a bit of a positive or a huge downgrade lol

Just remember, you lot need to stay up with Middlesborough, so we can have three northeastern clubs in the top flight next season.

US_Mackem

Reaction score
I agree! Strange as it sounds, after the dust settled, I actually felt that we were better off with Moyes than Big Sam.
Kone is a dick, or more likely, his agent is a massive dick and Kone doesn't know any better. Moyes has said that we're not selling Kone. He might just be left to play in the reserves until he realizes that he's been a dick.
I liked Yedlin... actually, still do like him. Big Sam had him playing well, i.e. told him that he was a defender, got him to defend first, then see what happened after that. If he can focus on the basics, he's not a bad kid. And he's quicker than just about anyone else in the league.
Reckon we'll be ok this season. Granted, it's not looking good right now, but Moyes only came in 2 weeks before the season started, we've lost a bunch of our regulars to injury, Kaboul has gone, Kone has been a dick, apart from that, we're looking ok!
You guys struggled to find your feet in the Championship. It's not gonna be easy, but you should have the quality to come straight back up. Hopefully we'll be waiting for you. Not so sure about the Boro though, they didn't look anything special on Sunday.

Stout

Reaction score
Sunderpuke's starting to perk up a little lately, which is a good thing for you lot and for the north in general. When Newcastle get promoted, I want there to be as many northeast sides in the PL as possible.

Stout

Reaction score
Though that was a tough loss for you lot, I have to say, you have a fantastic young keeper. I was watching with the game on mute so I could listen to the Newcastle game. You certainly didn't lose because of the keeper. Pickford's one for the future.

US_Mackem

Reaction score
He's been brilliant, kept us in games, gained wins instead of draws, draws instead of loss. I'm sure there'll be bids for him in January, hope we can keep him.

Mags are doing well... hate to say that ;)

Lorenzo

Reaction score
with liverpool coming into town it is going to be tough to stay out of the bottom 3 for now. it would be nice to see both sunderland and newcastle in the PL next season.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
And they earn a draw nice big time. That hurts Liverpool. Suddenly Chelsea must not be so annoyed.

edit...just watched the summary. sunderland really had some good chances in spite of not having the ball much. defoe had a walk in opportunity and was onside, but turned his head to look for the flag which cost him the goal. both penalties were warranted, but there were some blown calls that went against both teams. in the build up for the second penalty that went for sunderland it was a terrible call to set up a free kick that went against liverpool. but they got away with a hand ball that should have been a penalty earlier. at the end sunderland could have had 3 penalties today...

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
I might be the only one looking forward to the derby today. I get it--both sides are likely relegated--which is too bad. I wanted both of them up with Newcastle, but that's not to be. Still, I'll be watching Middlesbrough-Sunderland this afternoon and, since they're both down anyway, GO BORO :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose