In a land far far away...
Reaction score
for all you soccer lovers the new english season starts next Sat 7th

see SAFC.com for details

first game is one Sky Sports 1 if any of you can get that over there

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow, you guys start early! I'll root on Sunderland to win promotion this year...I'd love to see a few derby's between our teams!

Newcastle United really boosted their squad this offseason. We got younger in the midfield with Nicky Butt (though Speed was one of my favorite players), and we added Kluivart up front...wow! This is Shearer's last year, so I hope we win some silver.

Actually, English, can you tell me anything about the young midfielder we picked up from Leeds, Milner, I think his name is? All I hear is that he has a lot of promise. Know anything about him?

It's going to be a tough and exciting season this year...Chelsea looks unstoppable, and Liverpool is much improved...still, Man U. look very beatable and Arsenal looks like they'll lose their best player. Interesting times ahead!

Go Newcastle United, and good luck Sunderland!

OP
OP
EnglishCardinal

EnglishCardinal

In a land far far away...
Reaction score
the mags have made a few decent signings - i think Butt is a winner and a great addition - PK is ok and played today for you in a friendly against sporting Lisbon and looked well short of match fitness

Milner is good and will get better - he is actually the yougest scorer in the Prem lg (he scored against Sunderlnad for Leeds two years ago at the Stadium of Light when he was only 16) so he just gets better, little and stocky and can get goals from midfield

i would love to wish the barcode skunks good luck but you know how i feel about them.....so i wont go there LOL

anyway 2 weeks till first Cards first pre season and i cant wait

GO BIG RED (and WHITE) ;)

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EnglishCardinal said:
anyway 2 weeks till first Cards first pre season and i cant wait

GO BIG RED (and WHITE) ;)
Do you get Cards games on TV out there?

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Thanks EC. I'm hooked on SAFC. I check their website every day for news. I really needed another team to follow. Not! :)

Mick has made a lot of changes this year. What do you think of them? I think Liam Lawrence and Stephen Elliott are going to be good.

Can't believe the season starts on Saturday.

Ha'way the Lads!!!

Stout

Reaction score
Hey English, do you know anything about a kid named Charles N'Zogbia? Newcastle just signed him, and soccernet is saying it's a big deal, as this kid is a big time up-and-comer from France. Know anything?

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Sunderland 3-1 Crewe

Sunderland secured their first points of the season with a dominant win over Crewe at the Stadium of Light.

Black Cats summer signings Liam Lawrence and Carl Robinson combined for the latter to score from 25 yards out.

Crewe snatched an equaliser against the run of play when Dean Ashton set up Mark Rivers to slide in and score.

Marcus Stewart made up for some near misses to poke Sunderland ahead from Kevin Kyle's centre, before substitute Stephen Elliott slotted home the third.

Sunderland manager Mick McCarthy
"Kevin had a fitness test at six o'clock along with Gary Breen and they both came through it.
"I have nothing but admiration for both of them. We will go on patching Kevin up until we get to the bottom of the problem.

"The fans have already taken to Stephen Elliott, and a fit Kyle would have thrived on the crosses from Liam Lawrence.

"I think we had 26 shots on goal and we could have run away with - but I'm happy with a 3-1 win."

Stephen Elliott promised a goal and then he delivered. :thumbup:

jmcclain19

Reaction score
Kluivert's a magpie?

Man, I haven't kept up with anything since Euro 2004.

I've always been partial to Southampton, had family that worked near there for a while, got to see some games. Especially since they were always fighting relegation. Last year's Europe run was cool - especially watching Niemi turn into quite the keeper.

Now the team is a firm middle weight with a great new stadium. Can't beat that.

But I love English soccer, with only Dutch Soccer as entertaining.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
3 wins on the bounce now and up to 7th in the table - cooking on gas

leeds on Friday in the lge and Crewe tmrw noght in Carling Cup

things looking up for me other red and white team

English on tour

Reaction score
Renz said:
The FA Cup is a tournament for all the teams in England correct? What's the Carling Cup about?
Carling cup is the Lge cup just has a sponsor thats all

basically there are two football orgs in england

FA - football Association
Football Lge

the lge ran the all four divisions in england up unitl about 15 years ago when the FA premiership started, which was run by well the FA the teams in the top div of football lge all left the lge and jioned FA to make premiership.

the FA run the national teams and started the FA cup well over 100 years ago as their own competion, the lge cup was started to rival the FA cup and both have been played ever since

the FA cup is the one everyone wants to win although Lge cup does offer a big day out for fans and aplace in Uefa cup for the winners

so th recap FA have premier lge and cup and the football lge run the Lge cup and the other three english divisions

just a bit of history for you Sunderland have won the top div of english football (now called premier lge) 6 times though not for a long time, we have won the FA cup twice (1937 and 1973) the last time we made the final we lost to Liverpool 2-0 in 1992 and we have never won the Lge cup (lost to Norwich 1-0 in 1985 was the closest we got...and missed a penalty)

hope this makes some since sorry if it doesnt

oh and Sunderland now 4 on the bounce with a 1-0 win at Leeds last night - still have the hangover this morning after watching it in the boozer!!

Stout

Reaction score
Hey, I have a question...when they formed the Premiership, how did they figure out which teams got to be in the top flight? Did they run a series of tournaments? Were all the levels of leagues already in place, without an organized name for the top flight?

English on tour

Reaction score
Stout said:
Hey, I have a question...when they formed the Premiership, how did they figure out which teams got to be in the top flight? Did they run a series of tournaments? Were all the levels of leagues already in place, without an organized name for the top flight?
the old Div 1 became the Prem lge
div 2 became div 1
3 became 2
and 4 became 3

this season we have the Prem lge, the championship, div 1 and div 2

still all the old div 1 2 3 4 but with new names

the prem there is still promothion and relegation between all divs as there always has been

there is also football conference which sees it top two teams go in the now called div two - the cong is semi pro and the top for are all pro lge's

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah, I know about the promotion/relegation thing (poor, poor Leeds). I kind of figured they just re-named the pre-existing leagues, but I was curious. Thanks!!!

English on tour

Reaction score
back up to 3rd great game on Sunday and 2-0 win v Ipswich...bloody cold though and the cards did nothing to warm me up when i got back!!!

English on tour

Reaction score

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
jw7 said:
Do you get Cards games on TV out there?
Occassionally Sky Sports Plays them. They have a regular two or three games on per week and they just pick and choose which team will be shown. Lately it has been the winning teams.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I found this photo on page 24 of the January 10, 2005 issue of Sports Illustrated. :thumbup:

Attachments

• Sunderland3.jpg
    Sunderland3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 204

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
English on tour,

If Sunderland go up and Southampton go down, what are the chances of Kevin Phillips returning to the Wearsiders? I think that would be great!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose