Cord Cutters

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I had a pretty hefty package on DirecTV costing me $139.00 per month. So I am saving about $81 a month or about $972 a year which is huge. This would be even lower if I didn't have a TIVO DVR (there are cheaper ones) or if I had the lower tier Hulu and Netflix subscription plans. This also includes approximately $7.99 for Amazon Prime but if you went Roku you wouldn't have that either.

what netflix tier did you do? I do the minimum tier and its fine. I think 2 or 3 tvs can stream is at once.

I havent ponied up for ad free hulu, the ads are short enough that I do not mind them. In fact when I watch shark tank live I get irritated because it has so many more commercials than when I watch on Hulu

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hulu is free? I thought it had a monthly fee like Netflix.

They have a free option that has a very limited selection, a paid service with all of their selection, and a commercial free Netflix style option.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hulu is free? I thought it had a monthly fee like Netflix.

They have a free option that has a very limited selection, a paid service with all of their selection, and a commercial free Netflix style option.

to watch on xbox and roku, I believe you have to have a paid version and the free version is computer only.

Reaction score
So it would be around $20-30 a monthe for Hulu & Netflix plus $40 or so for internet. Around $60-70 monthly? I have 5 tv's & all of them get used. Most of the time 4 are being used at once.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it would be around $20-30 a monthe for Hulu & Netflix plus $40 or so for internet. Around $60-70 monthly? I have 5 tv's & all of them get used. Most of the time 4 are being used at once.

I pay $12.99 each for Netflix 4 devices at a time and Hulu commercial free option. $26/mo

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what netflix tier did you do? I do the minimum tier and its fine. I think 2 or 3 tvs can stream is at once.

I havent ponied up for ad free hulu, the ads are short enough that I do not mind them. In fact when I watch shark tank live I get irritated because it has so many more commercials than when I watch on Hulu

I opted for the HD on 2 screens version. What happens often in our house is we are watching something and the kids are in the HT room watching something else. I am testing the waters with Hulu (11.99 commercial free option). I might go back down to the $7.99 version. Not sure.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I opted for the HD on 2 screens version. What happens often in our house is we are watching something and the kids are in the HT room watching something else. I am testing the waters with Hulu (11.99 commercial free option). I might go back down to the $7.99 version. Not sure.
I get HD on multiple screens at like 7.99 with Netflix. I can do either two or three screens, higher cost is to do more than that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pay 60 for Internet but had that anyway so TV budget went from 120 a month to $16 a month with Netflix and Hulu

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I reading this correctly about Slingbox? If my friend in Surprise has Cox with Fox Sports Az and has her cable box plugged in to the slingbox, she could watch the dbacks game at my house via Amazon Fire Stick Sling app?

edit: nevermind, it's easier to just download the Fox Sports GO app and have them log in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get HD on multiple screens at like 7.99 with Netflix. I can do either two or three screens, higher cost is to do more than that.

You must be grandfathered under an old plan. Directly from their site:

Watch on 1 screen at a time in Standard Definition.$7.99/month

Watch on 2 screens at a time. HD available.$8.99/month

Watch on 4 screens at a time. HD and Ultra HD available.$11.99/month

Reaction score

This is what I've seen on their site as well. I have the $8.99 package. BRR is paying roughly $76/mo for internet & tv. Currently I'm paying $109 for internet & an upgraded tv package ( I get Showtime, Starz, Encore, etc) with Century Link. So BRR is saving around $33/mo over what I'm paying. I would have to buy 5 HD OTA antennae which I assume would be around $500. It would take about 1.5 years to make up the savings.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

maybe I do 8.99

This is what I've seen on their site as well. I have the $8.99 package. BRR is paying roughly $76/mo for internet & tv. Currently I'm paying $109 for internet & an upgraded tv package ( I get Showtime, Starz, Encore, etc) with Century Link. So BRR is saving around $33/mo over what I'm paying. I would have to buy 5 HD OTA antennae which I assume would be around $500. It would take about 1.5 years to make up the savings.

how fast is your internet? I pay 60/mo for like 50mbps, thinking about calling them and going down a tier as it is more than the amount of speed I need. Keep that in mind when doing your pricing.

Personally I enjoy netflix hulu much more than I enjoyed cable. When I had cable it was all channel surfing and nothing was ever on unless I was at home at the exact time the show was on.

OTA antennas are only 10-20 bucks each. Any old antenna in your attic will get HD signal if you live in the city. I bought an antenna for my main tv, the others all have the equivelant of a paper clip in the coax and I get signal.

I also bought roku for every room and etc, it probably took 6 months to a year to make up the price but I havent had cable since 2010 so it was totally worth it.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you live in town you could get away with the cheap ones. If you have existing cable wiring (coax) through the house you could get one really good one and run a splitter to all those locations. I needed a heavy duty one because I am up against foothills and just outside of town in the East Valley.

By the way, I am now running PLEX as well. I was surprised to find out that Plex has TV stations you can add as well. I am going to be using it for other stuff but that was a nice surprise.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Glad I cut the chord. The only thing I think I am seriously going to miss is FOX Sports TV BUT as some alluded to their are solutions for that.

I am finally part of the tribe and saving a ton of cash too.
Amazon Fire TV Sticks have a Fox Sports app... you just need someone's cable logon (Cox, DirectTV). I don't want many suns games anymore, but I have caught one or two this season with it.

Reaction score
maybe I do 8.99

how fast is your internet? I pay 60/mo for like 50mbps, thinking about calling them and going down a tier as it is more than the amount of speed I need. Keep that in mind when doing your pricing.

Personally I enjoy netflix hulu much more than I enjoyed cable. When I had cable it was all channel surfing and nothing was ever on unless I was at home at the exact time the show was on.

OTA antennas are only 10-20 bucks each. Any old antenna in your attic will get HD signal if you live in the city. I bought an antenna for my main tv, the others all have the equivelant of a paper clip in the coax and I get signal.

I also bought roku for every room and etc, it probably took 6 months to a year to make up the price but I havent had cable since 2010 so it was totally worth it.

I believe it's at 25mbps but I would have to check.

If you live in town you could get away with the cheap ones. If you have existing cable wiring (coax) through the house you could get one really good one and run a splitter to all those locations. I needed a heavy duty one because I am up against foothills and just outside of town in the East Valley.

By the way, I am now running PLEX as well. I was surprised to find out that Plex has TV stations you can add as well. I am going to be using it for other stuff but that was a nice surprise.

I was basing the antenna cost by this link. It includes a Roku stick which I would need. Maybe that is overkill? I live in Chandler btw.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...2e63501a)(261853)(2811279)(PRIME_ENUS_HP_IP)()

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it's at 25mbps but I would have to check.

I was basing the antenna cost by this link. It includes a Roku stick which I would need. Maybe that is overkill? I live in Chandler btw.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Roku-Streaming-Stick-%20-Mohu-Leaf-50-HDTV-Antenna-Bundle/productID.332597800?tduid=(68b3f075a53b4482916c84472e63501a)(261853)(2811279)(PRIME_ENUS_HP_IP)()

It might be. I just don't know from your area. There are a bunch of cheaper OTA. Some people get way with the very basic versions because they have a clear view to the towers. Every area is different. I would say start at the bottom and test out OTAs.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I'm thinking as well.

100%.

There is some value in OTA and it is nice to channel surf and put on background noise sometimes but I watch netflix hulu FAR more.

A big issue I struggle with on netflix hulu is anything i put on is something I actually want to watch, I have a hard time choosing a show for background noise, channel surfing OTA is much better for that.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not everything shows up on Hulu (even a day later). Many of the shows on streaming devices are a season back. So, even though I love my streaming device so far, I find much value in the OTA shows. I won't be giving up my TIVO anytime soon. Although, as I stated above, I was shocked to find free up to date content on PLEX.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not everything shows up on Hulu (even a day later). Many of the shows on streaming devices are a season back. So, even though I love my streaming device so far, I find much value in the OTA shows. I won't be giving up my TIVO anytime soon. Although, as I stated above, I was shocked to find free up to date content on PLEX.

the only show I do watch on Hulu that doesnt come out on the next day would be fear the walking dead and it comes months later so I njust buy the episodes. Thankfully the rest of the stuff I do watch is next day. Really for the most part I only do modern family and shark tank on hulu.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For those that have cut the cord already and miss channel surfing or passive tv watching, check out pluto.tv app. You can get it on roku or firetv. There is a handy channel guide and some decent content.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those that have cut the cord already and miss channel surfing or passive tv watching, check out pluto.tv app. You can get it on roku or firetv. There is a handy channel guide and some decent content.
What is it? Network TV?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave