Cord Cutters

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sling TV and Amazon Prime. I tried Kodi briefly but it wasn't for us. My local cable provider sent us an offer that bundles our internet with cable TV for a price that our internet was going to increase to in two months. I've got a kid on the way and the wife missed having PBS. If we could get antenna signals where we live I'd totally just go with an OTA antenna, but we're in a mountain region and can't pick anything up.

If you don't mind me asking. What part of the Valley do you live in? I am just outside of Queen Creek by the foothills and not sure what I can expect from an OTA.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking. What part of the Valley do you live in? I am just outside of Queen Creek by the foothills and not sure what I can expect from an OTA.

I'm actually in California, Santa Cruz Mountain area.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually in California, Santa Cruz Mountain area.

Ahhh...OK. Well I am hoping a DVR can tie this all together for me. The DVR I am getting will record all the OTA. The Roku box has an app that will allow me to interface everything from Roku which means not a bunch of switching for the wife. She will be able to access everything including DVR content from the Roku. Same goes for Plex content...can be accessed via Roku.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I looked at the OTA directions for antenna and two stations were North, two were South and two were West.

We called Comcast to "inquire" about cancelling our account and they offered our current cable\internet package with the upgrade to X1 DVR and HBO for $99/month for a year and no contract. That isn't bad, about $50 savings a month. I feel ashamed because I was so eager to ditch Comcast but adding up stand alone slow internet and all the gadgets and services, it isn't much more expensive and we have blazing internet.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at the OTA directions for antenna and two stations were North, two were South and two were West.

We called Comcast to "inquire" about cancelling our account and they offered our current cable\internet package with the upgrade to X1 DVR and HBO for $99/month for a year and no contract. That isn't bad, about $50 savings a month. I feel ashamed because I was so eager to ditch Comcast but adding up stand alone internet and all the gadgets and services, it isn't much more expensive.

I admit my initial investment won't be cheap but I added Internet (via COX), DIRECTV and compared the monthly outgoing if I go Tabol (DVR) with Roku, OTA, Slingbox and add HBONOW. It's not even close for me. Plus, I don't have to deal with renegotiating any longer with COX or DirecTV. It takes me threatening to leave just for them to do anything and even then it's only temporary.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

buy a 5 dollar rabbit ear, plug it in and see what it does

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
buy a 5 dollar rabbit ear, plug it in and see what it does

I purchased my TIVO and a Mohu Leaf which is supposed to get a 50 mile range. No luck. The strongest station signal I could get with that thing was a 32 out of 100.

The search for an OTA continues.

P.S. I tested by Cox Internet connection to see if I could get the locals for free and it was also a bust. They must have changed something.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased my TIVO and a Mohu Leaf which is supposed to get a 50 mile range. No luck. The strongest station signal I could get with that thing was a 32 out of 100.

P.S. I tested by Cox Internet connection to see if I could get the locals for free and it was also a bust. They must have changed something.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but did you try it un-amplified? What's your distance from South Mountain?

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but did you try it un-amplified? What's your distance from South Mountain?

Yep, I did. I also tried in several locations. I am approximately 50 miles from South Mountain. That's why I picked up the Leaf. It had good reviews. I just don't think it's strong enough.

I might need to get a 75 mile to 100 mile OTA.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I did. I also tried in several locations. I am approximately 50 miles from South Mountain. That's why I picked up the Leaf. It had good reviews. I just don't think it's strong enough.

I might need to get a 75 mile to 100 mile OTA.

These guys are always mentioned positively by others I know doing OTA.

http://www.winegard.com/offair?q=offair

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had no luck with small indoor antennas. I am going to try the mohu sky tonight or tomorrow. If that doesn't work I am going to just order one of the huge bow tie antenna's that are multi-directional. They are sort of beasts but I can install that in my attic.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have you tried a rooftop antenna? It will get far more distance, you could just set it up somewhere and have an extension cord to a small tv and see if it works before drilling holes and dropping coax through the attic.

I often have to turn off my amp too

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a rooftop antenna? It will get far more distance, you could just set it up somewhere and have an extension cord to a small tv and see if it works before drilling holes and dropping coax through the attic.

I often have to turn off my amp too

That will be a last resort. Would really prefer not to mount some huge antenna on the roof. Although that might be my only choice if I can't get anything else to work.

The Mohu Sky just from inside the house found 6 channels (the Leaf found zero). I am going to try the attic space since it's much higher and see what happens. My guess is that I will be trying one of those more advanced attic mountable OTA in my near future.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an update. Tried the Mohu Sky. It was way better than the Leaf but still not strong enough. I managed to tune into all the major networks with around a 65 signal with the amp slightly lower without. The only exception was the CW. I could only manage a 32 signal strength no matter what.

So, returning this one and ordering a 100 mile OTA. Was going to go with a 70 mile one but I would rather not have to return another OTA. I would rather do some overkill verses go through another round.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That will be a last resort. Would really prefer not to mount some huge antenna on the roof. Although that might be my only choice if I can't get anything else to work.

The Mohu Sky just from inside the house found 6 channels (the Leaf found zero). I am going to try the attic space since it's much higher and see what happens. My guess is that I will be trying one of those more advanced attic mountable OTA in my near future.

I thought there would be rooftop ones that are only 2-3 feet tall? That a pipe dream?

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to try one of these below although I am wondering if I should spring for the channel master amp or just try this by itself. This allegedly has an 80 Mile range without the pre-amp which should be more than enough.

Amazon.com: Channel Master CM-4228HD High VHF, UHF and HDTV Antenna: Electronics

Get the amp. I noticed my indoor antenna that had an amp got much better reception, and I have always lived in the Valley. The signal strength was much better.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I think Pro Sport is really good. It even archives games. Sports Devil and Castaway are pretty decent (within these two I find Dimsports streams the most reliable).

For Movies and TV I mainly use 1 Channel/Primewire and Exodus (which is fairly new). Genesis used to be the best but the maintenance has fallen off.

Ditch Primewire, 1Channel, etc. Switch to SALTS and you'll never look back.

SALTS (Stream all the Sources) paired with a service like Real-Debrid ... well, I won't say much more as we are diving head first into the gray area.

Alternatively, Playstation Vue just became available here in AZ. https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/#1

$35 a month for 70 of the most popular channels plus local sports? Sounds great to me. I believe it also offers local Fox Sports Networks? If that's the case, even better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completed and Cord cut. I went with the OTA above. I get 72 on all the channels. Not great but not bad. The picture has been rock solid all weekend. Unfortunately, I don't get any CW which has some of my wife's shows. There was no amount of adjusting that was going to work in the attic from the Queen Creek area. However, my wife refused to let me mount the OTA outside so I told her she will just have to stream CW through FireTV and/or Hulu. She thought that was fair.

So, TIVO (to record OTA), Fire TV, Hulu and Netflix with HBO NOW subscription. We are very very happy. The quality was better than I imagined being with DIRECTV since they arrived here in the valley.

Glad I cut the chord. The only thing I think I am seriously going to miss is FOX Sports TV BUT as some alluded to their are solutions for that.

I am finally part of the tribe and saving a ton of cash too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Completed and Chord cut. I went with the OTA above. I get 72 on all the channels. Not great but not bad. The picture has been rock solid all weekend. Unfortunately, I don't get any CW which has some of my wife's shows. There was no amount of adjusting that was going to work in the attic from the Queen Creek area. However, my wife refused to let me mount the OTA outside so I told her she will just have to stream CW through FireTV and/or Hulu. She thought that was fair.

So, TIVO (to record OTA), Fire TV, Hulu and Netflix with HBO NOW subscription. We are very very happy. The quality was better than I imagined being with DIRECTV since they arrived here in the valley.

Glad I cut the chord. The only thing I think I am seriously going to miss is FOX Sports TV BUT as some alluded to their are solutions for that.

I am finally part of the tribe and saving a ton of cash too.

What is your monthly expense now? I know Hulu & Netflix has monthly fees as well as internet provider costs. Just curious as to the amount of savings vs cable/satellite.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is your monthly expense now? I know Hulu & Netflix has monthly fees as well as internet provider costs. Just curious as to the amount of savings vs cable/satellite.

Well I had a pretty hefty package on DirecTV costing me $139.00 per month. So I am saving about $81 a month or about $972 a year which is huge. This would be even lower if I didn't have a TIVO DVR (there are cheaper ones) or if I had the lower tier Hulu and Netflix subscription plans. This also includes approximately $7.99 for Amazon Prime but if you went Roku you wouldn't have that either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose