Cord Cutters

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut the cord last October. I bought a 20 dollar Mohu Leaf on Amazon and get the major channels in HD. I then bought a Channel Master DVR+ so I can record and save live tv. You also need to purchase an external hard drive if you want to save more than a few hours of tv. I also have Netflix and can use my friend's Hulu if needed. When the baseball season starts, I will be using my friend's cox login to see what I can watch since I can't watch the Dbacks on mlb.tv (which was going to be my plan until I read that games are blacked out, soooo annoying).

I love my setup and having a DVR. I'm saving about a hundred bucks a month.

I almost went with Channel Master but decided on Tablo instead mainly because I wanted the 4 tuners and streaming away from home since I travel. Plus I know someone who owns one and loves it.

I will have to check the Reddit forums probably for live Suns games. NFL regular broadcast is fine sine I no longer care about NFL Sunday ticket.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Reddit has been a godsend for my baseball and hockey games. My issue is that I have to plug it in to the tv and I can't wirelessly stream it through chromecast. I'm not sure if my router can't handle it or if it's my internet connection. It's a 25mbs connection.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Reddit has been a godsend for my baseball and hockey games. My issue is that I have to plug it in to the tv and I can't wirelessly stream it through chromecast. I'm not sure if my router can't handle it or if it's my internet connection. It's a 25mbs connection.

I only streamed a couple AZ games last year with chromecast and the quality was great. Typically I watch/stream sports on my CPU monitor in my office where it is nice and quiet :D

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only streamed a couple AZ games last year with chromecast and the quality was great. Typically I watch/stream sports on my CPU monitor in my office where it is nice and quiet :D

I am going to have to look into this for NBA games.

Town Drunk

Reaction score

What's your internet speed?

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So for those of you with the Sling and Roku and Hulu - what is your total monthly outlay?

I get about a 200 dollar bill every month from Cox, bundling my home phone, internet, and cable.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So for those of you with the Sling and Roku and Hulu - what is your total monthly outlay?

I get about a 200 dollar bill every month from Cox, bundling my home phone, internet, and cable.

I pay $65 for cox which I might change up soon, $8 for netflix, $8 for hulu.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Maybe find someone who will give you their cable password for HGTV and ESPN apps

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yep, that's what I did. I have the Windows HDMI adapter so I can project it onto my TV screen. In addition to History Channel app so I can watch The Vikings one day later.

Last edited:

Town Drunk

Reaction score

$30 for xfinity Internet, $35 for Sling+HBO, both monthly. My yearly prime membership is $100.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our Cox contract is up in a couple weeks. We are ditching cable and landline, but are keeping internet. We've had Prime and Netflix for a while, but recently discovered Kodi and installed it on a firetv box. After an initial set-up I'm able to stream just about anything including new movies, tv shows, and most live sports for free and in decent quality. It pretty much just organizes and accesses streams from all around the world. There is no downloading or torrenting involved.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Our Cox contract is up in a couple weeks. We are ditching cable and landline, but are keeping internet. We've had Prime and Netflix for a while, but recently discovered Kodi and installed it on a firetv box. After an initial set-up I'm able to stream just about anything including new movies, tv shows, and most live sports for free and in decent quality. It pretty much just organizes and accesses streams from all around the world. There is no downloading or torrenting involved.

Mostly HD streams or is it standard definition? Sounds promising.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mostly HD streams or is it standard definition? Sounds promising.

Mostly HD. It isn't quite as user friendly as Netflix or other streaming services. It does require average tech capabilities and some maintenance. But I am able to watch the newest episode of The Walking Dead in HD, commercial free before it airs in AZ. We recently watched the Revenant as well just weeks after it was in the theater. It was a legit copy and not some cam vid either. I haven't been watching many Suns games, but I can usually get them in HD and even get the opponents broadcast too.

No copying, downloading, or torrenting. I'm just watching a stream online that someone else is broadcasting likely overseas.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Mostly HD. It isn't quite as user friendly as Netflix or other streaming services. It does require average tech capabilities and some maintenance. But I am able to watch the newest episode of The Walking Dead in HD, commercial free before it airs in AZ. We recently watched the Revenant as well just weeks after it was in the theater. It was a legit copy and not some cam vid either. I haven't been watching many Suns games, but I can usually get them in HD and even get the opponents broadcast too.

No copying, downloading, or torrenting. I'm just watching a stream online that someone else is broadcasting likely overseas.

Nice. I tried downloading it to my Fire Stick tonight through ES Explorer, but I cant get past the Android ARM link for the download. Doesn't do anything when I click on it. I'll keep working it. Looking forward to trying.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My download speed (on so called high speed internet) is 3.00 Mbps. It sounds like I am out of luck.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice. I tried downloading it to my Fire Stick tonight through ES Explorer, but I cant get past the Android ARM link for the download. Doesn't do anything when I click on it. I'll keep working it. Looking forward to trying.

There are a bunch of ways to sideload apps on fire tv. I had trouble with some of the ways explained online. I've found the easiest way for me is to use dropbox. Use a different device to open dropbox and add the desired kodi app. Then go into your ES Exporer and go to the cloud menu option. You should be able to enter the dropbox address, log in, and download kodi and other apps.

I'd also highly recommend firestarter. It allows you to bypass the annoying amazon menu and go to a simple app menu.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
There are a bunch of ways to sideload apps on fire tv. I had trouble with some of the ways explained online. I've found the easiest way for me is to use dropbox. Use a different device to open dropbox and add the desired kodi app. Then go into your ES Exporer and go to the cloud menu option. You should be able to enter the dropbox address, log in, and download kodi and other apps.

I'd also highly recommend firestarter. It allows you to bypass the annoying amazon menu and go to a simple app menu.

Was able to get it going. Pretty awesome thus far. Do you recommend any particular sports add-ons? I'm mainly looking for baseball and hockey.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

What apps do you use most on kodi. I've had it for a few months as well. So far Exodus is by far my favorite for tv shows and movies.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was able to get it going. Pretty awesome thus far. Do you recommend any particular sports add-ons? I'm mainly looking for baseball and hockey.

I think Pro Sport is really good. It even archives games. Sports Devil and Castaway are pretty decent (within these two I find Dimsports streams the most reliable).

For Movies and TV I mainly use 1 Channel/Primewire and Exodus (which is fairly new). Genesis used to be the best but the maintenance has fallen off.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also CCloud and Channel Pear have live streaming channels if you want to catch CNN or ESPN. I like some of the 24/7 channels as well like Seinfeld or the Simpsons. Those are nice if you just want some background TV.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Plex have similar apps?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised how cavalier people are when discussing the ways they are obtaining copyrighted material.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
I've bit the bullet and am going to back to cable. Got a nice bundle offer from my provider with no contract. Easier for my wife to navigate and I get my sports back.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've bit the bullet and am going to back to cable. Got a nice bundle offer from my provider with no contract. Easier for my wife to navigate and I get my sports back.

Back from what exactly? What did you end up trying and with what packages?

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Back from what exactly? What did you end up trying and with what packages?

Sling TV and Amazon Prime. I tried Kodi briefly but it wasn't for us. My local cable provider sent us an offer that bundles our internet with cable TV for a price that our internet was going to increase to in two months. I've got a kid on the way and the wife missed having PBS. If we could get antenna signals where we live I'd totally just go with an OTA antenna, but we're in a mountain region and can't pick anything up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose