Why The Turn On Palmer

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Guy sets records for this team and gives us the best season this franchise ever had and now people want to get rid of him? Wow. Especially considering there is no viable alternative for the foreseeable future.

Calm down dude... The vast majority of Cards fans, and more importantly, the players and coaches, ALL stand firmly behind Carson. Yea, there are a few knuckleheads who might jump the Palmer ship. Who cares... Carson knows the deal and he'll be back next season ready to fire up the cannons once again! ;)

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think we have to look at the current criticism on Palmer in reference to his last few games against top tier teams.

The Cardinals are contenders and keeping in the scope of that reference point, Palmer has to play better in big time games.

That being said the CARDINALS as a team have to get better in some areas. To improve the passing game the Cardinals have to either upgrade the QB to a player that can make up for the short comings of the offensive line, or upgrade the line so Palmer has less pressure so he is more effective.

Not to mention they need a better pass rush, and need more strength in the front seven, or they won't beat Carolina or to a lesser extent Seattle in the future.

Pass Rushers and quarterbacks are hard to find. At least concerning the offense, the offensive line can be improved to help Palmer.

Thus while Carson Palmer is being criticized now, come next September he will be touted as our best option by a long shot. Thus this is all short-term, 2015 season talk.

It will go away before training camp. IMHO

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I do think Cardinals fans were maybe a bit too hard on Palmer on social media even though most of it is true and much deserved

http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/...&utm_medium=blackadamschefter&utm_campaign=fb

Dont you think his injury has anything to do with his ball placement since it occured? What was his qb rating before and after? That should tell the story. If there was another viable option at QB I would have hoped BA would have ultilized him instead of Palmer in the playoffs. Apparently there wasnt.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's clearly our best option, but I think a good amount of people question whether he has the mental ability to get it done in the playoffs. He has always had the choke artist label attached to him, so combine that with him playing the worst game imaginable in the NFCG after looking pretty shaky vs GB, mix in the fan emotion of seeing your team get decimated on a huge stage and you've got a recipe for overreactions about wanting to get rid of him.

I personally don't have much faith in his ability to get it done in the playoffs, but I will certainly be rooting for him to prove me wrong.

this is where I'm at.

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Guy sets records for this team and gives us the best season this franchise ever had and now people want to get rid of him? Wow. Especially considering there is no viable alternative for the foreseeable future.

Who has said get rid of him? He had the best year as to stats I'm glad we want more. I will take less stats and a QB that rises in the playoffs. He has something wrong in the head. Still theirs "No way" I would want to just start over.

PS. The man is 36 it's a mute point. We need to be looking for our next QB even if we won it all.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great thread. CP's getting lambasted now for his poor play on Sunday, but he's still one of the league's best QB's. Plus, social media rants are for the gutless--really easy to rag on someone when you're far away and protected by anonymity. The most important thing right now: to see how CP responds....

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the anti Carson Palmer sentiment after he helped deliver a great season. It's not like the Cardinals had better options. They only ran the ball for 60 yards against the Panthers. However, I do believe the Cardinals need to groom a young quarterback for the future.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Actually I think the game plan sunk Palmer to some extent. BA and Palmer were so determined to push the ball downfield it backfired. Carolina was waiting for it.

If you are playing the #1 scoring offense in the NFL how do you keep them from scoring especially when you are entering the game with a banged up and under manned defense? You have a QB who has a messed up finger so deep throws tend to sail. You keep the ball, possess it. A short passing game in the 5-15 yd range with runs mixed in talking your shots down field when the time is right. Wear their defense down. Limit the time their offense is on the field.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who has said get rid of him? He had the best year as to stats I'm glad we want more. I will take less stats and a QB that rises in the playoffs. He has something wrong in the head. Still theirs "No way" I would want to just start over.

PS. The man is 36 it's a mute point. We need to be looking for our next QB even if we won it all.

Did you see the game day thread? A lot wanted him run out on a rail before the end of the 3rd quarter. I even saw some calls for Stanton.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
superstitions often play a role in sports...y'all can take what you want from it I guess.......Larry has had what.....12 on target drops his entire career??...then when we are trying to rally,...Larry gets a couple of drops.... maybe we just were not supposed to win that game.

bright side is,...the staff identified and signed players with leadership skills.... those kinds of guys will be angry, then they will spit out the bitter taste of defeat and work their asses off to see it never happens like that again.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually I think the game plan sunk Palmer to some extent. BA and Palmer were so determined to push the ball downfield it backfired. Carolina was waiting for it.

If you are playing the #1 scoring offense in the NFL how do you keep them from scoring especially when you are entering the game with a banged up and under manned defense? You have a QB who has a messed up finger so deep throws tend to sail. You keep the ball, possess it. A short passing game in the 5-15 yd range with runs mixed in talking your shots down field when the time is right. Wear their defense down. Limit the time their offense is on the field.
To be fair, Palmer was under fire all night and didn't have time to look for 2nd and 3rd options a lot of the time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you see the game day thread? A lot wanted him run out on a rail before the end of the 3rd quarter. I even saw some calls for Stanton.

dude, you only have to look at your own behavior in those game threads to know no one should take anything any of us say there seriously.

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
dude, you only have to look at your own behavior in those game threads to know no one should take anything any of us say there seriously.

My lord, I hope what is said there stays there.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

You would think this should have crossed their minds.... you would think but apparently it went something like this....

Here's the plays we're going to call, going deep on them over and over and over again bahahahahahaha.

OH CRAP!

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dont you think his injury has anything to do with his ball placement since it occured? What was his qb rating before and after? That should tell the story. If there was another viable option at QB I would have hoped BA would have ultilized him instead of Palmer in the playoffs. Apparently there wasnt.

No I don't. I trust the head coach and Arians himself said that people need to quit making excuses for Palmer and that his finger was fine.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
No I don't. I trust the head coach and Arians himself said that people need to quit making excuses for Palmer and that his finger was fine.

Thats BS. Just because someone says something doesnt make it true. While I admire Palmer for being a tough guy and wanting to play in the playoffs, he did with the detriment to his team. BA & Palmer would never admit his finger was an issue because it would be an excuse. Palmer's dislocated finger was an issue. Try spinning an accurate football with a numb finger. Compound that with a porous line is a recipe for disaster.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Should take the pulse of the fans two weeks from now once the Super Bowl is over and they've had a chance to process the game. The responses will be much more objective and on point.

Homer Simpson

All Star
Reaction score
I think this regular season/post season QB stuff is a bunch of malarkey. If it wasn't for David Akers missing two field goals or Michael Vick throwing a pick late in the 4th quarter in the division round of the 2010 NFC playoffs, people would be saying the same things about Aaron Rodgers. Other than that year, Rodgers has been unable to win in the postseason with any consistency.

And he's had two of the worst postseason defeats in recent history. Getting demolished as a number one seed with a 15-1 record in 2011 and the epic collapse in last year's title game. Don't forget he had a pick in the end zone early in that game.

So what happened? Was he somehow able to handle the pressure in 2010 but not any other year? Or, more likely, is football a team comprised of 53 players and a win or loss can't be pinned on one player?

Truth is, even if Palmer played well, the Cardinals would have lost. And half of his turnovers came after the Cardinals had reached a deficit that, historically, no team has ever been able to overcome.

Palmer was an MVP candidate all season. Then, he hurt his hand and became very pedestrian. Logic would tell you the hand, not the pressure, was more responsible for the decline.

Not being able to play in the postseason? Just a bunch of mumbo jumbo.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think this regular season/post season QB stuff is a bunch of malarkey. If it wasn't for David Akers missing two field goals or Michael Vick throwing a pick late in the 4th quarter in the division round of the 2010 NFC playoffs, people would be saying the same things about Aaron Rodgers. Other than that year, Rodgers has been unable to win in the postseason with any consistency.

And he's had two of the worst postseason defeats in recent history. Getting demolished as a number one seed with a 15-1 record in 2011 and the epic collapse in last year's title game. Don't forget he had a pick in the end zone early in that game.

So what happened? Was he somehow able to handle the pressure in 2010 but not any other year? Or, more likely, is football a team comprised of 53 players and a win or loss can't be pinned on one player?

Truth is, even if Palmer played well, the Cardinals would have lost. And half of his turnovers came after the Cardinals had reached a deficit that, historically, no team has ever been able to overcome.

Palmer was an MVP candidate all season. Then, he hurt his hand and became very pedestrian. Logic would tell you the hand, not the pressure, was more responsible for the decline.

stop being all logical and stuff.................

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Or Rodger's 122 QB rating...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's clearly our best option, but I think a good amount of people question whether he has the mental ability to get it done in the playoffs. He has always had the choke artist label attached to him, so combine that with him playing the worst game imaginable in the NFCG after looking pretty shaky vs GB, mix in the fan emotion of seeing your team get decimated on a huge stage and you've got a recipe for overreactions about wanting to get rid of him.

I personally don't have much faith in his ability to get it done in the playoffs, but I will certainly be rooting for him to prove me wrong.

Not picking on you but how does a guy who's played in 3 playoff games plus one play of another always have a choke artist rep? he barely played in important games in Cincy or Oakland beceause they were both terrible when he was there. Everyone said that's Palmer he's just good enough to get you beat, put up good stats on bad teams. Then he surprised everyone and put up great stats on a great team.

He was poor against GB, he was awful against Carolina, but people are acting like he has a 12 year history of bad playoff performances or constantly choking in big games. He doesn't, he has a 12 year history of meaningless games until the last 3 years.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know there's a thread about getting RG3 on this board where someone said get rid of Palmer he's mentally done and someone apparently posting under your account replied I'm all in.

I'm glad you got control of your account back though.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't know there's a thread about getting RG3 on this board where someone said get rid of Palmer he's mentally done and someone apparently posting under your account replied I'm all in.

I'm glad you got control of your account back though.

:biglaugh:

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I AGREE...

You win as a team...you lose a team. I listened to player interviews on AZCARDS...and NOBODY was throwing anybody under the bus. This team has become a family and because of that you don't turn on your "brother". YOU...JUST...DON'T.

In every game there will be heroes" and "goats"...How many games was Carson the "hero" this past season?

Mark in SC :)

Disappointed but still VERY APPRECIATIVE of a GREAT season! :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard