Most iconic play in Arizona sports history.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Yeah, the Gonzo hit was the most iconic.

I know some won't agree but I'd say the Dansby fumble recovery and return for a TD was pretty much equal with what Fitz did on that OT catch and run too.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fitz's catch.

when held to the definition of "Iconic"...the other examples fail the test.

you could ask which was the bigger deal for the Phoenix area,...and maybe you get Gonzo..... I watched that world series...didn't even remember he was the last batter...just remember big unit pitching in relief.

from Merriam-Webster.

: of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an icon

a : widely recognized and well-established <an iconic brand name>

b : widely known and acknowledged especially for distinctive excellence <an iconic writer><a region's iconic wines>

—icon·i·cal·ly\-ni-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

to be iconic,...an action or event first must be remembered.....right now everybody remembers Larry's run.

Cause it happened 2 days ago. That post had to be a joke. Yeah nobody remembers Gonzo winning the world series after 9/11 against the freaking New York Yankees and the single greatest closer Mariano River.

I would also put up KJ dunking on Olajuwon also Barkley lining up David Robinson at the top of the Key the year the Suns went to the finals

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's the Gonzo hit, no question. How is that ASU play even on there? Talk about "what have you done for me lately", I don't know how far I'd have to go on a list to even have that play come up in my mind. There are about 50 Suns plays that I'd put over that, Barkley over Robinson, Thomas' buzzer beater, Bell's Buzzer beater, Majerle's buzzer beater, KJ's dunk over Hakeem, hell, IMO Ortege Jenkin's endzone flip has waaaaaaay more lasting power than the Jael Mary.

If we don't make the Super Bowl then I think Fitz's catch in the '08 Superbowl will be the more iconic one in his career anyway.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
When another player makes a play that wins a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP then you make a poll. This is silly. Fitz would say this is silly.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
So the Jael Mary is supposedly the best play in ASU history?

Not even close...It was the best play of that season, but not in ASU history. No idea where they even got that idea...

IMO, even the Plummer to Poole TD, that helped take down 2 Time National Champion Nebraska, is more iconic...but that may not even be the most iconic for ASU...

OP
OP
A

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Winning the Peach Bowl.

Beating Michigan in the Rose Bowl was probably ASU's biggest win but I don't remember an iconic play from that game. That win is even sweeter in retrospect considering Jim Harbaugh was Michigan's QB.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I was at that game but winning the Peach Bowl brought them to the national stage.

sent from a fone

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sorry, love Fitz, but that's recency bias. Any answer other than gonzo (and mlb ranks 5th, right above NHL on my list) is idiocy (and I haven't broken out that word on ASFN in a LOOOONG time).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's got to be Gonzo. that was the game-winning hit, against the best reliever of all time, to dethrone the 3 time champion Yankees and bring AZ it's first, ever and ONLY title. And I say that with baseball are my VERY distant 3rd favorite sport.

And hell, I still put Fitz's TD against Pittsburg above last week's.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not even sure why this is a debate at this point. Gonzo is best, and like Cheese and others have said, not even Fitz's best run/postseason moment.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to welcome Panther fans reading the board this week, you'll probably think this thread is weak sauce....

Soooo, props to coach K, props to every game in Duke history (well except Syracuse yesterday) props to Dean Smith, props to UNC.. props to Christian Laettner lol, props to Dickie V biggest Duke homer EVER, props to the Panthers, props to Cam Newton, props to Riverboat Ron and last but not least, props to Jake Delhomme...

I'm not giving UNC props for Michael Jordan because he was born in Brooklyn:)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Gonzos hit, not close.

There is nothing quite like game 7, world series, against the best closer of all time, against one of the best baseball teams of all time.

Just off the top of my head, here's how I would list mine in terms of Arizona sports moments.

1. Gonzos hit
2. Larry's TD against Pittsburgh in the Superbowl
3. Jacke's FG against San Diego to FINALLY put the Arizona Cardinals in the playoffs.
4. Randy Johnsons perfect game
5. Tim Hightower TD to put Cardinals in the Superbowl
6. Larry TD last week
7. Dansby TD to beat GB
8. KJ dunking on Hakeem
9. UofA national championship (pick a moment)
10. Barkley's dagger against San Antonio

Honorable mention: Nash 3 to beat Dallas, Tim Thomas 3 over Lakers to save season, ASU Rose bowl when Plummer scrambled and scored to take lead.

I know the Rattlers and Mercury have won the most championships, but those just aren't ICONIC moments, but still worth mentioning that they have done all that.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I beat this poll is skewed due to that fact that Fitz's catch is fresh in the voters minds. If this poll was done in a few years, I bet it would be a totally different out come.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Gonzos hit, not close.

There is nothing quite like game 7, world series, against the best closer of all time, against one of the best baseball teams of all time.

Just off the top of my head, here's how I would list mine in terms of Arizona sports moments.

1. Gonzos hit
2. Larry's TD against Pittsburgh in the Superbowl
3. Jacke's FG against San Diego to FINALLY put the Arizona Cardinals in the playoffs.
4. Randy Johnsons perfect game
5. Tim Hightower TD to put Cardinals in the Superbowl
6. Larry TD last week
7. Dansby TD to beat GB
8. KJ dunking on Hakeem
9. UofA national championship (pick a moment)
10. Barkley's dagger against San Antonio

Honorable mention: Nash 3 to beat Dallas, Tim Thomas 3 over Lakers to save season, ASU Rose bowl when Plummer scrambled and scored to take lead.

I know the Rattlers and Mercury have won the most championships, but those just aren't ICONIC moments, but still worth mentioning that they have done all that.

I was so glad I was watching that game live. I nearly hit the ceiling when I saw him dunk that. Was awesome! For those that haven't seen it, here ya go. ;)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was so glad I was watching that game live. I nearly hit the ceiling when I saw him dunk that. Was awesome! For those that haven't seen it, here ya go. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVcSndz52DE

I know man, it sucks we lost that game, and the series. But man, I will never, ever forget how fired up we all were when KJ did that.

You just didn't do that to the Rockets, they had all the big guys in the paint. It was HUGE. When it happened I was sure we were going to come back and win that game, but we didn't :(

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know man, it sucks we lost that game, and the series. But man, I will never, ever forget how fired up we all were when KJ did that.

You just didn't do that to the Rockets, they had all the big guys in the paint. It was HUGE. When it happened I was sure we were going to come back and win that game, but we didn't :(

The game was pout of hand by that point wasnt it? An amazing play, but iconic? It meant nothing.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The game was pout of hand by that point wasnt it? An amazing play, but iconic? It meant nothing.

That 3pt play put us down 8 with 2 minutes left. It was far from over. It meant something (and still does) to Suns fans clearly.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 3pt play put us down 8 with 2 minutes left. It was far from over. It meant something (and still does) to Suns fans clearly.

not this Suns fan. It was nice to see, but the writing was on the wall in that game that the entire series was over and we were going to blow a 2-0 lead.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort