Rams-24 Cards-22: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't win them all.

Not scoring in the redzone, drops, & turnovers killed us.

Clean up the mistakes & get ready for the next game.

Hopefully we can win in St. Louis for our next matchup.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't win them all.

Not scoring in the redzone, drops, & turnovers killed us.

Clean up the mistakes & get ready for the next game.

Hopefully we can win in St. Louis for our next matchup.

Like I said, I can handle losing but these are the games you have to win. Divisional games at home and then to play this sloppy. The fact that we were this bad and only lose by 2 should tell you that the Rams should have never come close to beating us. BA says that the Cardinals will never beat the Cardinals, well, today they did.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Like I said, I can handle losing but these are the games you have to win. Divisional games at home and then to play this sloppy. The fact that we were this bad and only lose by 2 should tell you that the Rams should have never come close to beating us. BA says that the Cardinals will never beat the Cardinals, well, today they did.

Fitz had a fumble but David Johnson had a fumble early that set the tone and then dropped a TD... he is a rookie but also a Cardinal and hence your statement holds true, the rookie will learn :)

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards played like crap especially in red zone. 17 points off our turnovers hurts. I'm with NJ on the officials. They missed A LOT penalties and 2-3 game changing ones for the cards. BUT, I've always been told to never let game be that close to allow refs/umpires to dictate the game.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Other input:

GOOD: Michael Floyd got some big tough catches today. He's had a few others in prior games and had them nullified by flags. He's a huge impact player if we get him the ball.

CJ was money today. Ran tough and broke through to the second level repeatedly. He's our starter.

Bucannon was a sledgehammer and PP covered everything in sight today.

BAD: Butler shanking the first punt again. Someone tell him it's not required to have a 20 yard punt every single game.

Johnson and Powers got burned today. Gave up a lot of yards on single coverage plays.

UGLY: Bad turnovers cost the game. I guess it shows that we really are a good team if we are -3 in turnovers, 1 for 5 on red zone drives, played the worst game under Palmer in two years, and still only lost by 2.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Johnson and Powers got burned today. Gave up a lot of yards on single coverage plays.

Powers will always get burned, it's the result of his style of play, I can live with it because he makes goos plays as well (though I wish we had a bigger and better CB2 and he stayed at nickel).

Johnson takes horrible angles, I think he forgets he is the slowest guy in the backfield. I know he is the brains of the operation, but we need some speed at FS next year.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Other input:

GOOD: Michael Floyd got some big tough catches today. He's had a few others in prior games and had them nullified by flags. He's a huge impact player if we get him the ball.

CJ was money today. Ran tough and broke through to the second level repeatedly. He's our starter.

Bucannon was a sledgehammer and PP covered everything in sight today.

BAD: Butler shanking the first punt again. Someone tell him it's not required to have a 20 yard punt every single game.

UGLY: Bad turnovers cost the game. I guess it shows that we really are a good team if we are -3 in turnovers, 1 for 5 on red zone drives, played the worst game under Palmer in two years, and still only lost by 2.

Honey Badger too. Not a good outing from him. PP was excellent.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry... I'm seeing a lot of people convincing themselves how good we really are because of how close we came to winning and can't help but laugh. We were at home, a sizable favorite against a team the entire board was universally mocking (for good reason considering how AWFUL the Rams looked the last two weeks)... who we beat 3 straight times and LOST. How that shows ANYTHING but this team might not be as good as we thought it was prior to today is beyond me.

The Rams were mediocre at best coming into today's game and still are... and we lost to them, AT HOME. There's nothing good about that, IMO. If this was a road game we lost in this fashion... or a game we lost by 2 to the Hawks/Pack, I'd get your comments, but that isn't what happened.

We played like crap and lost a division game at home to a mediocre opponent. That sucks any way you cut it, especially as you head out for the next 6 of 8 on the road.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cards played like crap especially in red zone. 17 points off our turnovers hurts. I'm with NJ on the officials. They missed A LOT penalties and 2-3 game changing ones for the cards. BUT, I've always been told to never let game be that close to allow refs/umpires to dictate the game.

+1, DJ & Fitz don't cough up the ball & DJ doesn't drop that TD and those blown calls don't make a huge impact. Carson getting pressured shouldn't have been surprising as the OL finally faced a pass rushing team. The lack of a pass rush also hurt us a Foles had his best game of the season because ARZ wasn't able to force him into making mistakes.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Regarding the non-fumble call, does anyone think that if Cunningham had not fumbled and busted out of the tackle and gained 40 yards, the refs would have said 'play was dead forward progress stopped'?
We probably only get 3 , which we did after the Rams punted anyway.
Rams defense was good when it counted, I give them props for that.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Regarding the non-fumble call, does anyone think that if Cunningham had not fumbled and busted out of the tackle and gained 40 yards, the refs would have said 'play was dead forward progress stopped'?

NO!!!!!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm sorry... I'm seeing a lot of people convincing themselves how good we really are because of how close we came to winning and can't help but laugh. We were at home, a sizable favorite against a team the entire board was universally mocking (for good reason considering how AWFUL the Rams looked the last two weeks)... who we beat 3 straight times and LOST. How that shows ANYTHING but this team might not be as good as we thought it was prior to today is beyond me.

The Rams were mediocre at best coming into today's game and still are... and we lost to them, AT HOME. There's nothing good about that, IMO. If this was a road game we lost in this fashion... or a game we lost by 2 to the Hawks/Pack, I'd get your comments, but that isn't what happened.

We played like crap and lost a division game at home to a mediocre opponent. That sucks any way you cut it, especially as you head out for the next 6 of 8 on the road.
The loss does stink. But when you look at how the game was called, the turnover deficit, and just the overall game flow, to have a chance, a very good chance, to win it at the end shows, to me that this is a pretty good team.

I figure the Cards had a C-, or lower, game compared to an A performance for the Rams and could have stolen a win. That's what good teams do. No team is going to go out and play 16 above average games. If you can win a few of your stinkers, along with few that you are going to lose, you'll be a playoff team. It would have been devastating for the Rams to have played a game like that and lost.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
+1, DJ & Fitz don't cough up the ball & DJ doesn't drop that TD and those blown calls don't make a huge impact. Carson getting pressured shouldn't have been surprising as the OL finally faced a pass rushing team. The lack of a pass rush also hurt us a Foles had his best game of the season because ARZ wasn't able to force him into making mistakes.

Even with the turnovers all we needed to do was convert 1 other red zone opportunity and we win the game. But I agree on the lack of an edge rusher haunted us. That and zero speed at LB hurt as well. No way Gurley makes those runs on a team like Seattle or Denver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Even with the turnovers all we needed to do was convert 1 other red zone opportunity and we win the game. But I agree on the lack of an edge rusher haunted us. That and zero speed at LB hurt as well. No way Gurley makes those runs on a team like Seattle or Denver.

Arians said guys blew their assignments on Gurley's long runs, which makes sense. They held him in check until the Rams got up by 9. I think guys tried to make plays on their own instead of within the scheme and the Cards paid for it.

Or, it could be that Gurley is really good. Probably a combo of the two.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
That loss will haunt the Cardinals.

It pretty much tells us that we are not an elite team as elite teams do not lose games like that.

It also confirms to me in my own opinion what I have thought for a long long time.

In my opinion and I know I am going to get a lot of crap for saying this. the NFL is fixed.

Yeah I said it.

I believe that the NFL monkey's with games to keep them interesting. To make more money.

It plays favorites I believe and those favorites change and are based on some kind of idiotic plan that will maximize fan interest.

I believe I've seen this across a wide spectrum of teams it just simply can't be that they are that inept that fumble call where it said forward progress was stopped is just one example of many.

That call is hard to fathom and it's not like good teams would not rise above something like that or that we couldn't and shouldn't have risen above it we should have.

It does however mean that my days as an NFL fan are over.

I'm done and maybe I'm completely off base but why would I waste my time on a sport that I don't believe has any integrity?

Good question and my answer is I won't.

I really do care about the Cardinals and wish them well and I wish everyone on this board well and I hope that I am wrong because I would frankly rather be wrong than face the possibility that I'm right.

I can't ignore my eyes though and my own eyes tell me that in my opinion I'm right about this and it's just not worth my time anymore.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In reality, CD, is while it would be easier to mock you, I find myself halfway feelings what you're saying. I'm of the belief that officials are human and being human they can and will make mistakes. However the way yesterday's game was officiated makes you wonder. I mean some of those calls were blatant. It's like they were given marching orders to see that the Cards aren't undefeated after yesterday. Sure a lot of what we did wrong was self inflicted, the officiating certainly was head shakingly strange.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
In reality, CD, is while it would be easier to mock you, I find myself halfway feelings what you're saying. I'm of the belief that officials are human and being human they can and will make mistakes. However the way yesterday's game was officiated makes you wonder. I mean some of those calls were blatant. It's like they were given marching orders to see that the Cards aren't undefeated after yesterday. Sure a lot of what we did wrong was self inflicted, the officiating certainly was head shakingly strange.

They had 2, maybe 3 bad calls and the only one that was absolutely terrible to me was the 2nd fumble play. When refs have bad games it tends to lean more towards one team than the other and today the Cards were that team. I'm not going to go full on conspiracy theory over this game.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
BAD: Incompetent officiating.
WORSE: Cardinal's red-zone defense.
WORST: Cardinal's red-zone offense.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Back yourself off the ledge pal. It's easy to feel moribund after a dumb loss, but the league office isn't conspiring against us in favor of the Rams. That would make zero point zero sense.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
it was under thrown, but it was still sixty yards in the air and Palmer might not be able to get much more on that ball.

Derek Anderson could have gotten the ball farther.... I'll live with it from Carson.

Disappointing loss yesterday because I don't think the better team won. Tip my cap to the Rams as they took advantage of our mistakes. They needed a flawless game, and for us to cough up a few boneheaded plays. They did that.

There was still a lot to like yesterday.

Let's see how this team responds on the road over the next two weeks.

Go Cards!!!

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seems like Foles always play solid against us too, maybe with the exception of last year.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

They may have looked mediocre, but they played a good game and beat us when it mattered. We put up a lot of yards, but their D did their job and held on key 3rd downs and in the red zone. Have to give them credit for that. Their offense was unimpressive for the most part, but capitalized on the opportunities they got. Our D is not what it was, and it sucks that I don't feel as confident in them getting the key stops you need in tight games like this as I did in previous years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They may have looked mediocre, but they played a good game and beat us when it mattered. We put up a lot of yards, but their D did their job and held on key 3rd downs and in the red zone. Have to give them credit for that. Their offense was unimpressive for the most part, but capitalized on the opportunities they got. Our D is not what it was, and it sucks that I don't feel as confident in them getting the key stops you need in tight games like this as I did in previous years.

Agree with all of this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard