Jazz at Suns 4-4-15

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
First off, you need to calm the heck down. And second, I already said the first season is something that is true and for this season, it is my guess but sure when I find time I can take Warren & Ennis minutes from when he was a Sun and total it and compare it to other teams rookies.

I'm nothing but calm, I just took your tone and sent it back to you. I'm going back to lurking in 2 days, my husband is already begging me to give him back his computer so I couldn't really care less what you do. But for the sake of this board I will tell you it is unacceptable in a forum like this to present something as a statistic or fact when you're just making a wild guess. There's nothing wrong with wild guesses but they should be identified as such. And it is my guess too that we have played our rookies less than other non-playoff teams.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Why is Hornacek playing McNeal and Green before Goodwin in the third? Does this mean that they've decided Goodwin's not good enough to be a starter/rotation player? I can't understand it. A 10-day 27 year old dude getting playing time before a sophomore who's worked hard for two years. Why oh why? It pisses me off. I mean Goodwin played crunch time minutes only a couple of weeks ago.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Jazz are tuff. This was a nice win with 2 of the Suns best players out with injury.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the referee wanted to go home because that was a terrible no call at the end. Utah will probably take the guy we want right before us in the draft and everybody will be happy that Gerald Green got all those minutes.

By several accounts, the shooter stuck his leg into Tucker to create the appearance of a foul and the video seems to support that. Refs aren't going to reward that on the last play of the game.

And do you really think this game is going to cost us taking Utah's draft position, which currently is 2 picks higher? Utah only has 34 wins, we are at 39 now, I just don't see it.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tucker fouled a Utah player behind the 3 point line that was not called. The Suns were leading by only 2 with under a second. Only the Suns could get a win like this that could potentially hurt them in the standings concerning ping pong balls.

Suns 87 Jazz 85

I don't think it's really about ping-pong balls anymore. I think the Phoenix Suns traded away their best shot at a higher lottery pick (5-7) with the Brandon Knight trade. To me it's about moving up so the guy you really want doesn't get taken right before your pick. I think this has happened to the Phoenix Suns a couple times in the last several years.

Joe

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It was not impossible, Suns could have easily lost out and Utah going 5-4 would have been good enough.

This draft is looking pretty damn good to me. I honestly don't know who should go #1 between Okafor, Towns, Russell and Winslow. I think an argument can be made for each of them and then you still have wildcards like Mudiay and Hezonja and maybe also Porzingis who might be just as talented.

If the Lakers get pushed out the Brandon Knight trade will be one of the worst trades in Suns history, competing very hard with Bryan Colangelo's trade of #7 for a future pick.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By several accounts, the shooter stuck his leg into Tucker to create the appearance of a foul and the video seems to support that. Refs aren't going to reward that on the last play of the game.

And do you really think this game is going to cost us taking Utah's draft position, which currently is 2 picks higher? Utah only has 34 wins, we are at 39 now, I just don't see it.

If you have a link to this video I would like to see the play again.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I don't have the link, but I watched the fourth quarter, and it was clear that Tucker fouled him. Having said that, we've been screwed over by the refs so many times that I don't feel bad about getting away with this one. :)

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I just watched the highlights on ESPN.com. It looked like Tucker was to the left of the shooter and the shooter unnaturally extended his leg towards Tucker.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400579437

In the post game interview, Tucker said that the shooter stuck his foot out.

Technically, it may be a foul, but I am not sure if it affected the shot and the refs may be reluctant to call that on the last play when the shooter is initiating the contact.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wasn't sure so I went back and watched the end of the game just now. It was difficult to see initially but the replay they showed later was a better angle and it was indisputable IMO. It was clearly a foul and Hood did not kick his leg out in any way. The contact occurs near the hip and it should have been 3 free throws for Utah. Hood is a 71% shooter so this probably would have gone to OT if the refs did their job right.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just watched the highlights on ESPN.com. It looked like Tucker was to the left of the shooter and the shooter unnaturally extended his leg towards Tucker.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400579437

In the post game interview, Tucker said that the shooter stuck his foot out.

Technically, it may be a foul, but I am not sure if it affected the shot and the refs may be reluctant to call that on the last play when the shooter is initiating the contact.

Trust me, there is a better video angle of this "foul" and it's clear. It was so clear that Eddie, Chambers and Leander all agreed it was inarguably a foul. Expect to see it called such in the NBA review they do for close games.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at the ESPN video (thanks Absolute Zero) but it was inconclusive to me. Originally I thought Tucker fouled him. I don't like being gifted a win any more than referees missing foul calls resulting in a loss.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I looked at the ESPN video (thanks Absolute Zero) but it was inconclusive to me. Originally I thought Tucker fouled him. I don't like being gifted a win any more than referees missing foul calls resulting in a loss.

That's a crappy angle. During the game they were showing replays and from one angle (behind both players) you can see Tucker hip-check the shooter. Leg wasn't extended, Tucker didn't hit him with his hands/ arms, but there was clear hip contact.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, if that was a foul, then it must not have been called because Hood isn't on the "star" list. The refs certainly don't do anyone on our team any favors. But if that was Curry, Westbrook, Harden, etc., they def would have called it. Hood? Not so much.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, if that was a foul, then it must not have been called because Hood isn't on the "star" list. The refs certainly don't do anyone on our team any favors. But if that was Curry, Westbrook, Harden, etc., they def would have called it. Hood? Not so much.

The refs have screwed us in close games several times this season and I'm sure they've heard about it in their reviews. Maybe that played into the non-call? But you could be right, perhaps they would have called it if it was in Utah or if it was against the Cavs or if that had been Harden or Curry. We'll never know. Regardless, that angle in the ESPN recap and the instant reaction of the ref made me believe that Tucker probably just grazed an outstretched leg. But the better angle shows that PJ hit him solidly, hip to hip, and that Hood's leg never extended (in any direction).

I'm not going to cry for Utah though. In the scheme of things it really doesn't hurt them. I just hate to see refs fail at their job.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was waiting for this to be announced.

Paul Coro @paulcoro · 3h 3 hours ago

The NBA officiating review said P.J. Tucker should've been called for body contact on Rodney Hood's missed 3 at the buzzer. #Suns won 87-85.

IMO, this type of officiating hurts the credibility of the NBA. It seemed such an obvious call. It would have been better for the referees to huddle around the monitor to get it right that give the Suns an apparent make-up win. I think most fans want to see a fairly officiated game.

https://twitter.com/paulcoro

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm nothing but calm, I just took your tone and sent it back to you. I'm going back to lurking in 2 days, my husband is already begging me to give him back his computer so I couldn't really care less what you do. But for the sake of this board I will tell you it is unacceptable in a forum like this to present something as a statistic or fact when you're just making a wild guess. There's nothing wrong with wild guesses but they should be identified as such. And it is my guess too that we have played our rookies less than other non-playoff teams.

You took my "I don't give a crap" sentence to mean much more than it actually meant. It was meant to be innocent, if I wanted to make a harsh tone then I would have very well just used the other more prevalent alternative to the word crap.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It was not impossible, Suns could have easily lost out and Utah going 5-4 would have been good enough.

This draft is looking pretty damn good to me. I honestly don't know who should go #1 between Okafor, Towns, Russell and Winslow. I think an argument can be made for each of them and then you still have wildcards like Mudiay and Hezonja and maybe also Porzingis who might be just as talented.

If the Lakers get pushed out the Brandon Knight trade will be one of the worst trades in Suns history, competing very hard with Bryan Colangelo's trade of #7 for a future pick.

I was thinking about this the other day and yea, unless Knight develops into a star, trading away a top 10 pick in either this draft or next year's will not look for the Suns.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's too late to tank...and it's also too late to start going balls to the wall. That's why it's called No Man's Land.
Suns need to make a directional decision, focus and stay with it from the moment the offseason begins through the last game of the season next year(and the year after that, and the year after that.) Quit farting around.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's too late to tank...and it's also too late to start going balls to the wall. That's why it's called No Man's Land.
Suns need to make a directional decision, focus and stay with it from the moment the offseason begins through the last game of the season next year(and the year after that, and the year after that.) Quit farting around.

They are going to be the 13th pick. Period. Don't see any other outcome unless some incredible miracle happens and they end up in the top 3.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Utah spent 3 years in the dumps and now look at them they have overtaken us and rebuilt through the draft and all that they could still afford to just lose Kanter because they picked up Gobert.

This season they had Gobert(#27), Kanter(#3), Favors(#3 traded to utah in his rookie season), Hayward (#9), Exum(#5), Burke(#9), Burks(#12), Evans(#55), Hood(#23) plus a bunch of undrafted players.
The only player they did not "draft" is Trevor Booker.

Their rookies started 83 games this season and 2nd yer players 77 games.

So much for rebuilding through the draft does not work. The Jazz were not afraid to pick up young guys and let them play right away through mistakes and look how much success they had in terms of developing them by doing this.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
PS: If we had lost to the Jazz the standings right now would be

Suns 38-41 NOP @SA LAC
Jazz 37-41 Mem @Por Dal @Hou

Suns going 0-3 and Jazz going 1-3 would be a likely scenario and both teams would end up with 38 wins and 44 losses.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Building through the draft is hugely important, but when talking about the Jazz and their horrible seasons I think you're ignoring one serious issue; they did not intend to be terrible. Only after 2013 did they really blow things up and start over, before that the team was trying to win.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lets also not forget one quote from Babby:

"Teams rebuilding through the draft take an average of 8 years to get back to the playoffs according to their research which apparently showed that it was the wrong way to rebuild"

The Suns are now missing the playoffs for the 6th time in 7 years.