Suns @ Jazz Friday game thread 4-8-2022

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
i am tempering my enthusiasm about us being "back" a tiny bit considering that the Jazz have been blowing ludicrous leads with regularity the last ten days. I think they blew a 25 point lead to the Clippers and then followed that up with a blown 16 point lead against the Warriors.

that said, much MUCH better to get the comeback than to get a loss. especially on the road.

It was an awesome comeback to end the regular season on from a morale perspective.

In regards to the Jazz they have to be the biggest jokes/pretenders of an actual good team that I can remember. They flame out in the playoffs every year and their two best players hate each other. Conley has always been good but he’s got zero edge or killer instinct. They’re an all-time bad vibe team that actually wins a lot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rudy Gobert keeping an eye on Donovan Mitchell.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i am tempering my enthusiasm about us being "back" a tiny bit considering that the Jazz have been blowing ludicrous leads with regularity the last ten days. I think they blew a 25 point lead to the Clippers and then followed that up with a blown 16 point lead against the Warriors.

that said, much MUCH better to get the comeback than to get a loss. especially on the road.
As exciting as some of these meaningless games have been, I'm concerned about the playoffs.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As exciting as some of these meaningless games have been, I'm concerned about the playoffs.
Getting into bad habits is hard to break. If you look at the last several weeks, giving up second chance points and turnovers is a pretty big concern. The good news is the team is entering the playoffs healthy and deeper than they have ever been.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet and Holiday going scoreless against the Jazz in a combined 22 minutes caught my attention.

Hopefully Cam Johnson is working his way back into game shape.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Getting into bad habits is hard to break. If you look at the last several weeks, giving up second chance points and turnovers is a pretty big concern. The good news is the team is entering the playoffs healthy and deeper than they have ever been.
Thinking this is a “habit” is pretty alarmist.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Similarly, 10 years ago the national media said Deron Williams was better than Chris Paul.
Isn’t it crazy how those guys came into the league together and how long Williams has been out of the league while Paul continues to play at a very high level?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking this is a “habit” is pretty alarmist.
Calling out facts isn’t alarmist. Use whatever word you want. The trend isn’t a good one. Momentum good or bad is real IMO. Maybe this team has a “switch” they can turn on and off instantly. Most teams don’t.

Like I said, this is the deepest team we have had going into the playoffs. Hopefully, the leaders on this team get everyone laser focused.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Calling out facts isn’t alarmist. Use whatever word you want. The trend isn’t a good one. Momentum good or bad is real IMO. Maybe this team has a “switch” they can turn on and off instantly. Most teams don’t.

Like I said, this is the deepest team we have had going into the playoffs. Hopefully, the leaders on this team get everyone laser focused.
I could see it biting us in the butt a couple times in the first round, but I doubt it plagues us all throughout the playoffs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I think Paul, crowder and Booker can switch it on and off. I think bridges plays hard all the time. But Ayton still needs be pushed - but that’s what Paul does. The second string, on the other hand, doesn’t have the ability to switch it on and off. I worry most about them to begin the playoffs.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We literally flipped a switch in the previous game. Makes no sense that this team now has a habit of losing.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
We literally flipped a switch in the previous game. Makes no sense that this team now has a habit of losing.
I don't think we are talking so much about the habit of losing itself, but doing certain things within a game that could cost us. Such giving up a lot of offensive rebounds and second chance point.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These are pros, not high school kids. This is a smart veteran team that has its habits well-established over an entire season. I really am not that concerned.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
These are pros, not high school kids. This is a smart veteran team that has its habits well-established over an entire season. I really am not that concerned.
This is exactly what I called after we secured the 1st seed. There was no way some on this board weren’t going to melt down.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think we are talking so much about the habit of losing itself, but doing certain things within a game that could cost us. Such giving up a lot of offensive rebounds and second chance point.
This. Winning games is one thing. Having to pull it off after digging yourself a hole is something else entirely. Sooner or later, that will catchup with you.

This is exactly what I called after we secured the 1st seed. There was no way some on this board weren’t going to melt down.
Calling out facts about how they have not taken care of the ball and allowed second chance points for weeks now is "melting down". OK. :D

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This. Winning games is one thing. Having to pull it off after digging yourself a hole is something else entirely. Sooner or later, that will catchup with you.

Calling out facts about how they have not taken care of the ball and allowed second chance points for weeks now is "melting down". OK. :D
Given the circumstances. Best record in the league, meaningless games-- it kinda is melting down.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the circumstances. Best record in the league, meaningless games-- it kinda is melting down.
Can you show me where anybody is saying the sky is falling? I don't see it. You know it is possible to be objective and factual without being overtly a homer.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Can you show me where anybody is saying the sky is falling? I don't see it. You know it is possible to be objective and factual without being overtly a homer.
Yes, but that's not what is happening. Pointing out some things that need some attention does not automatically discount the 64 wins from this season. There are people down on our chances in the playoffs, just based on 5 games after we had already clinched the 1 seed. That's ridiculous.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but that's not what is happening. Pointing out some things that need some attention does not automatically discount the 64 wins from this season. There are people down on our chances in the playoffs, just based on 5 games after we had already clinched the 1 seed. That's ridiculous.
Who specifically is discounting 64 wins and all that they have accomplished? I have not seen anybody do that. Having some concerns is not the same thing as thinking this team will get bounced in the first round and saying we suck. Some people act like this team is above it all. We have not won anything yet. I can call out the eratic play in some areas for the past several weeks but it doesn't mean I don't think it's not ours to lose.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who specifically is discounting 64 wins and all that they have accomplished? I have not seen anybody do that. Having some concerns is not the same thing as thinking this team will get bounced in the first round and saying we suck. Some people act like this team is above it all. We have not won anything yet. I can call out the eratic play in some areas for the past several weeks but it doesn't mean I don't think it's not ours to lose.
I think it's just the timing more than anything. I have similar concerns but they are less about the play since we clinched and more about what I've seen all season long.

I watch the Celtics and the Grizzlies and they usually just dominate their opponent from the tip on. All season long we've followed a different formula most nights, we let our opponent stay close (or get a double digit lead on us) and then turn it on in the second half often in the closing minutes.

I love the fact we can just shut a team down when the game is critical but we are walking a tightrope with this approach. We think we can stand around and watch the other team rack up easy points and extra possessions (from rebounds and loose balls) and that we'll always be able to come back. That's dangerous.

We have a league full of referees that apparently believe the other team can play their style and we're not given that same right most nights. We have no room to screw around like we have been when they start allowing even tougher physical play. As for the refs, I don't believe there's an actual conspiracy but I'm convinced our negative image from Sarver plays a role in the way our game is officiated, especially the past 2 months.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Me, I'm down on their chances based on the last few weeks starting with that loss to Toronto.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me, I'm down on their chances based on the last few weeks starting with that loss to Toronto.

The Suns clearly didn't play well their last 6-7 games but they still finished 8 games ahead of every other NBA team.

That's something to think about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson