Cardinals to give Logan Thomas “a ton of work” this offseason

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals to give Logan Thomas “a ton of work” this offseason

Arians said he wasn’t going to let Thomas fail because “once you fail those scars never go away” and that part of the plan this offseason is to make sure Thomas won’t fail if he’s forced into action in 2015.

“He’s going to get a ton of work and those reps are invaluable,” Arians said, via the team’s website. “Just in decision-making, how fast you’re getting it out of your hand, where you’re going with it, where you’re going when ‘one’ and ‘two’ are still covered. Are you still scrambling around or are you going to find your outlets? That growth process comes strictly from reps.”

Arians indicated that most of Thomas’s reps would come on Field Two with younger members of the squad, but there should be opportunities with the first team as well with Palmer and Stanton coming off of injuries. If Thomas shows well during those chances, he may start making a case to be Palmer’s backup and/or possible successor in the Cardinals lineup while also allowing the team to avoid any further dips into the Lindley bucket.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I remember that first preseason game I watched Logan...I never lost sight that he was playing against scrubs, but his size and arm strength gave me reason for optimism.

Hopefully during all this.... he's also teaching Stanton that you don't have to throw the ball to the first guy you look at.

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
In basketball there is a saying "you can't teach size and strength and athleticism".

That's not the case for QB's and throwing in the NFL.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should have already gotten a ton of work during the end of our season and in the playoffs last year. Real game time experience was all wasted on Lindley. SMH.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In basketball there is a saying "you can't teach size and strength and athleticism".

That's not the case for QB's and throwing in the NFL.

your analogy is broken. And wrong. The saying is "you can't teach height."

You can teach strength. You can teach athleticism.

You can even teach throwing in the NFL since, like basketball, a lot of it us in the footwork. However, accuracy isn't easy to teach and football position IQ is damn near impossible. That's the big issue with Logan because he has the tools but the accuracy and the defensive read instincts are questionable at best.

Still a great pick in the 4th and I'd like to see us draft grayson as well.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should have already gotten a ton of work during the end of our season and in the playoffs last year. Real game time experience was all wasted on Lindley. SMH.

I agree with the decision. Not ready and would end him. He's 15% roll of the dice in the first place.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
your analogy is broken. And wrong. The saying is "you can't teach height."

You can teach strength. You can teach athleticism.

You can even teach throwing in the NFL since, like basketball, a lot of it us in the footwork. However, accuracy isn't easy to teach and football position IQ is damn near impossible. That's the big issue with Logan because he has the tools but the accuracy and the defensive read instincts are questionable at best.

Still a great pick in the 4th and I'd like to see us draft grayson as well.

What round do you think we'd have to snag Grayson in?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What round do you think we'd have to snag Grayson in?

3rd in a trade of some sort...either an extra pick from trading back or trading up.

He should make it to the third. Pretty deep ball. Smart, accurate and tape warrior but not the tools of Logan.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
IMHO it won't be enough time. Infinity is not an option!

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jesus couldn't help him

he sucks

Jesus and Mohamid couldn't help Lindly

dude sucks!

Coaching staff had the entire season to work with him...and they still went with Lindley..tells you he's worse than having Dockett at QB.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus couldn't help him

he sucks

dude sucks!

Coaching staff had the entire season to work with him...and they still went with Lindley..tells you he's worse than having Dockett at QB.

Hyperbole is the greatest ever.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3rd in a trade of some sort...either an extra pick from trading back or trading up.

He should make it to the third. Pretty deep ball. Smart, accurate and tape warrior but not the tools of Logan.

So, Logan is not ready for prime time, but let's go ahead and grab another project QB who isn't even at his level...? :shrug:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, Logan is not ready for prime time, but let's go ahead and grab another project QB who isn't even at his level...? :shrug:

Physical tools bri. QB skills Grayson is leap years ahead of logan. Hate him all you want but you can't design a more perfect QB from the physical perspective than logan. However, I prefer an accurate guy with touch on the deep ball who knows how to play in the pocket.

Imho Grayson is more nfl ready than logan today...bit logan has the physical tools to make you roll the dice and come up hard 12 as the only way he succeeds...he's a huge if only. Grayson is a maybe if. I like stacking my odds.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Physical tools bri. QB skills Grayson is leap years ahead of logan. Hate him all you want but you can't design a more perfect QB from the physical perspective than logan. However, I prefer an accurate guy with touch on the deep ball who knows how to play in the pocket.

Imho Grayson is more nfl ready than logan today...bit logan has the physical tools to make you roll the dice and come up hard 12 as the only way he succeeds...he's a huge if only. Grayson is a maybe if. I like stacking my odds.

Meh...physical tools count for a lot in the NFL. Most QBs coming out are going to be projects, and unless you are blown away by a guy, he is going to be behind a guy with a year in the system.

I'm not sold that Thomas is going to be the guy, but I thin it would be stupid to spend a 4th on him knowing he is a project, and then not giving him the shot to develop. We have Palmer and Stanton, what is wrong with giving Thomas a slew of reps and see what he shows in terms of development? You can always draft a Grayson type guy next year as he is nothing special.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh...physical tools count for a lot in the NFL. Most QBs coming out are going to be projects, and unless you are blown away by a guy, he is going to be behind a guy with a year in the system.

I'm not sold that Thomas is going to be the guy, but I thin it would be stupid to spend a 4th on him knowing he is a project, and then not giving him the shot to develop. We have Palmer and Stanton, what is wrong with giving Thomas a slew of reps and see what he shows in terms of development? You can always draft a Grayson type guy next year as he is nothing special.

there is a plan b for thomas if he suck as a qb as i guess then they will switch in tigh end where he belongs to play

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i dont believe our team is looking at that option.

he is almost 6.6'' 260 lb with a speed around 4.55,he is like a buldoozer
all the physical tolls are with him,why not?
hoping he can turn in to a starting qb is like living in a fairytale

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
there is a plan b for thomas if he suck as a qb as i guess then they will switch in tigh end where he belongs to play

I don't see that type of transition if he fails at QB. TE is a very physically demanding position, and I'm not sure Thomas has that kind of mindset. Also, if Thomas fails at QB, he would be at an advanced NFL age to make a positional change. Hard to use roster spots for those types of projects.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Jesus couldn't help him

he sucks

dude sucks!

I think this misunderstands the ebbs and flows of the NFL season. The sad fact of the matter is that guys on the bottom of the roster struggle to get reps once the seasons starts. Practice time is limited, and coaches have to work on the guys that have an opportunity to play.

Logan Thomas is going to get a lot of reps this offseason by necessity, but also because this is the only chance he has to get better. He's probably not going to play again this season, and go into 2016 with the opporunity to compete for the #2 job.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this misunderstands the ebbs and flows of the NFL season. The sad fact of the matter is that guys on the bottom of the roster struggle to get reps once the seasons starts. Practice time is limited, and coaches have to work on the guys that have an opportunity to play.

Logan Thomas is going to get a lot of reps this offseason by necessity, but also because this is the only chance he has to get better. He's probably not going to play again this season, and go into 2016 with the opporunity to compete for the #2 job.

so we shouldnt draft a qb cause maybe he has potential to be a back up qb?
palmer is 36 ,,a player with torn acl ,ready to retire few years a go
can we trust him?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
so we shouldnt draft a qb cause maybe he has potential to be a back up qb?
palmer is 36 ,,a player with torn acl ,ready to retire few years a go
can we trust him?

I didn't say that. It depends where you're drafting him. I think that you can spend a 6th or 7th round pick on those guys every other year and hope you hit the lottery and create an asset that you can trade for more value (the Packers and Eagles made a science of this).

I think that if you draft a guy in the high 4th round with the hope of developing him into a #2 a few years down the road, you're mis-using resources. I'd be happy to be wrong about that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

This. Logan Thomas gets mental reps during the season, and that is it. The only significant physical experience he gets in during the camps, and in the preseason. Other than that, all he gets is the mental game.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This. Logan Thomas gets mental reps during the season, and that is it. The only significant physical experience he gets in during the camps, and in the preseason. Other than that, all he gets is the mental game.

I'm going to push this in the other direction, as well. Thomas has the opportunity to get better during the season, but it's up to him and his teammates to take advantage of that opportunity. During team sessions, he's not going to get reps.

He can take advantage of the 80 players in the locker room to go out after hours and run routes and go over the playbook and all the other things that will help him get better. He should be talking to guys like Jauron Brown, Kulabafi, etc., etc., to get out on the field and build more reps.

If Thomas has a mechanical problem that didn't get resolved in training camp, that might compound the issue, but Thomas's time with the coaches and getting individual attention was almost zero once training camp broke.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort