Monday Evening Thoughts: Game 16

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. Q Whipped.

The nightmare we all feared when we learned that Boldin was gift-wrapped from brother to brother to the 49ers for a mere 6th round pick. The guy is dynamic as ever and one could make a string case that yesterday he remained the most dynamic, game-changing offensive player on the field.

Boldin is a free agent and the market should be ripe for him. What both Arizona and Baltimore learned when letting him go is how his presence and sheer toughness is irreplaceable.

Could the Cardinals make a run for Boldin to return?---Would Boldin even consider it? Unlikely in both cases. However, wresting Boldin away from the 49ers to let them experience what his loss means to an offense---and, knowing that Boldin is still very good friends with Fitzgerald and the two men that Boldin had issues with, Whisenhunt and Graves, are no longer calling the shots, might suggest a possibility here, albeit a thin one.

2. Roman Numerals.

Greg Roman's game plan versus the Cardinals (reverses, overloads, tackle eligibles, bootlegs, play action to the TE in the red zone) was outstanding for many, many reasons. The creativity of it was a perfect way to keep his offense interested in playing this game when most likely they would have preferred to do what KC did, as in rest their key starters.

There's a good reason why the Cardinals struggled early versus the Eagles and the 49ers---what both teams exploited, with very good success, was the Cardinals' vulnerabilities on the edges. Not only are the Cardinals' OLBers prone to giving up contain, the Cardinals' CBs are not good run forcing tacklers.

The plan was to get into the defense's head and it worked. Add to this a slippery turf and Cardinal DBs over-running WR routes, especially on plays where Kaepernick was able to break contain from the pocket and throw on the run, it was a tall task for the Cardinals' defense to overcome.

3. Box Tops.

The great news, however, is that for the first time in years the Cardinals were able to overpower the 49ers' power in the box.

That was the first step our team had to take. And it should not be under-estimated how important a step that is.

The next key step us that Cardinals need to get more athletic and physical on the edges and the perimeters...and in consistently knowing their coverage assignments. This now becomes as much of a priority as finding a defender who can consistently blanket the TE.

4. Honing the Edges on Offense.

What Chip Kelly is doing in Philly, by making teams play the whole width of the field is going to catch like wildfire...because not only does it create one on one problems in the open field for DCs, it opens up the running game. It's no fluke that Shady McCoy is the leading rusher in the NFC---after being 9th in the NFC last year. The scheme is so difficult to defend.

The Cardinals already have a key piece to this ability in Andre Ellington in that he is a threat outside...now the Cardinals need to find another compliment to Ellington to widen the field to the other side.

5. Costly Turnovers.

If you count missed field goals as turnovers---which is essentially the same as losing a fumble on the play---it's pretty tough to keep overcoming 4 turnovers and win versus championship caliber teams.

Feeley's misses were of course regrettable. It seemed the first one came off what appeared to be a rushed snap. Not that this an excuse, but just an observation.

Palmer's force into 5 49er defenders is mind boggling and seeing as this has happened seemingly in every one of the Cardinals' losses, it begs the question as to how disciplined Palmer is. Now---it must be said that his play from that point on was highly commendable---but, if Palmer can turn this page, imagine how good he and the Cardinals' offense can be.

From the beginning it was hard to understand BA's love for Mendenhall. He is not an instinctive runner, he does not protect the ball by lowering his shoulder, he doesn't break tackles and, as we saw, especially at the worst of times, he is fumble prone.

And while the last kickoff wasn't a turnover---at a time when a touchback was desperately needed, it was unfortunate that Feeley was unable to get it done...for the key to the winning drive was the field position.

6. Snap, Crackle and Pop.

Man, did the 49ers have Carson Palmer's snap timing down pat? It took way too long for BA and Palmer to adjust to this. Palmer does set the offense up the same way virtually every time, to where he's almost always snapping the ball at the 5 second or under mark. Credit the Cardinals' interior for picking up the inside rushes, most of the time, but it caused free rushes from the edges and thus hurried, off the mark throws in key situations.

Interesting that on the TD pass to Andre Roberts, it looked like Lyle Sendlein surprised even Palmer by snapping it a count early.

Good for Andre Roberts, by the way. He's had a down year, following a promising start to the season.

7. The BA Way.

Down 17-0, 4th and goal from the 1 yard line, risking yet another empty trip, BA goes for it. Says a lot about the coach. This is one of the main reasons how he and his staff have been teaching the team how to win.

One would imagine BA is kicking himself in the arse today for not going for it on 4th and 2 when Feeley missed his second FG.

Did you notice that Carson Palmer was begging for BA to go for 2 after the Roberts TD? Betchya that BA was very much considering it. But, the team had fought so hard to come back with 17 unanswered points to tie the game, it would have been hard to rationalize going for it, especially with so much time left on the clock.

8. Expecting The Same Standard.

That's what Carson Palmer said in his post-game presser. The bar has been set, and although it would have been sweet to close out the season 3-3 in the NFC West after an 0-3 start, the key thing is, the coaches and players know exactly how high the bar is and where the standards and expectations are.

Eric Winston put it very well...he said he had never seen a team make such steady improvements over the course of a season. "We got so much better," he said.

9. The Solution.

Karlos Dansby in his presser said a key thing about what the team felt when it was down 17-0. "Instead of panicking, everyone looked for the solution."

The trust the players have garnered in the coaching and in each other is the most significant development of this year's season.

10. The Most Competitive Team in Arizona Cardinals History.

Warts and all---this 10-6 team is the most competitive, because it showed up every day and every week. All the games were competitive.

This was by far the most physical team the Cardinals have ever had.

The good teams with Warner cannot claim the same. Those teams would get blown out in some games. At times the defense was atrocious.

We should give these players and coaches their due. They strapped it up from start to finish---they got after it---there was never any quit---and their achievements deserved them a playoff berth because they truly became one of the top ten best teams in the NFL.

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric Winston put it very well...he said he had never seen a team make such steady improvements over the course of a season. "We got so much better," he said.
That is one thing you could see happening. The team grew and got better as the season wore on. Good coaching and players buying into the system.

Karlos Dansby in his presser said a key thing about what the team felt when it was down 17-0. "Instead of panicking, everyone looked for the solution."
Again good coaching. This staff has the team feeling confident about itself. The positive attitude shows.

Have we ever seen our D dominate like this? Wow, the run D just crushed Gore after the first quarter. Dline was pushing them back. Too bad we left so many WR's wide open.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
10. The Most Competitive Team in Arizona Cardinals History.

Warts and all---this 10-6 team is the most competitive, because it showed up every day and every week. All the games were competitive.

The good teams with Warner cannot claim the same. Those teams would get blown out in some games. At times the defense was atrocious.

We should give these players and coaches their due. They strapped it up from start to finish---they got after it---there was never any quit---and their achievements deserved them a playoff berth because they truly became one of the top ten best teams in the NFL.

That competitiveness means the Cardinals are in EVERY game. True, the New Orleans game got away from them late, but every other game they competed for the entire game. That's a huge tribute to a defense that refused to yield a single uncontested yard.

The Cardinals are most definitely one of the twelve best teams in the NFL even if most pundits aren't ranking them that way after the Niner loss.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That competitiveness means the Cardinals are in EVERY game. True, the New Orleans game got away from them late, but every other game they competed for the entire game. That's a huge tribute to a defense that refused to yield a single uncontested yard.

The Cardinals are most definitely one of the twelve best teams in the NFL even if most pundits aren't ranking them that way after the Niner loss.

I'd argue that the Seattle game (I was there--it wasn't even as close as the score indicated) and the New Orleans games were more or less non-competitive. That we hung with pretty much every other opponent and outright defeated the winners of the NFC South and AFC South is saying quite a bit, though.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'd argue that the Seattle game (I was there--it wasn't even as close as the score indicated) and the New Orleans games were more or less non-competitive. That we hung with pretty much every other opponent and outright defeated the winners of the NFC South and AFC South is saying quite a bit, though.

Plus, other than the Rams, all the teams the Cards lost to are still playing.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
1. 2. Roman Numerals.

Greg Roman's game plan versus the Cardinals (reverses, overloads, tackle eligibles, bootlegs, play action to the TE in the red zone) was outstanding for many, many reasons. The creativity of it was a perfect way to keep his offense interested in playing this game when most likely they would have preferred to do what KC did, as in rest their key starters.

There's a good reason why the Cardinals struggled early versus the Eagles and the 49ers---what both teams exploited, with very good success, was the Cardinals' vulnerabilities on the edges. Not only are the Cardinals' OLBers prone to giving up contain, the Cardinals' CBs are not good run forcing tacklers.

The plan was to get into the defense's head and it worked. Add to this a slippery turf and Cardinal DBs over-running WR routes, especially on plays where Kaepernick was able to break contain from the pocket and throw on the run, it was a tall task for the Cardinals' defense to overcome.

UNLESS Clinton-Dix is available where we draft at #20 I believe, I think we will go Offense with the first pick. But FA obviously has to play out first. If we don't sign a LT in FA, I think that is the way they'll go.

With that said, what do you think of the idea of Dansby (if he can be resigned) playing the SAM backer and moving Mintor into the middle with DWash?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

the Cards effectively play a 5-2. Abraham and Shaughnessy are 4-3 ends that play linebacker. Its why the team plays the run so well, yet will also struggle with speed on the perimeter. Playing in space isnt the strength of those two guys

finding guys to play the OLB position that can both set a hard edge and play in space is somewhere on the upgrade list

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We were 3-5 vs. playoff teams but beat the top two in the NFC. And we have to play better in the Division, 2-4 won't get it done.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
UNLESS Clinton-Dix is available where we draft at #20 I believe, I think we will go Offense with the first pick. But FA obviously has to play out first. If we don't sign a LT in FA, I think that is the way they'll go.

With that said, what do you think of the idea of Dansby (if he can be resigned) playing the SAM backer and moving Mintor into the middle with DWash?

Oh, good.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

Good question, WBB. I have always wondered whether Dansby would be better off on the edge. But, the way he played at his ILB spot this year, if he's re-signed, he's staying there.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
dansby want big money and they hardly can sotisfy his request cause they have cap issues like kleim said few months a go.now they are focus to extend peterson.
powers is a great nickle cb but has problem covering tall receiver., i expect a 2nd cb to pair to peterson,
LT is where they have to spend in free agent
even right guard is a target.
arians will draft a speedy wr in round 3 or 4.
free safety is a need cause i think mathieu can play strong safety
mettenbergh or mcarron could options in round 3
pass rush and offensive tackle are priorities.
feely is not coming back i guess
is not for the 2 field goal missed yesterday but i dont see in the league a kicker struggling in kick off like him

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
dansby want big money and they hardly can sotisfy his request cause they have cap issues like kleim said few months a go.now they are focus to extend peterson.
powers is a great nickle cb but has problem covering tall receiver., i expect a 2nd cb to pair to peterson,
is not for the 2 field goal missed yesterday but i dont see in the league a kicker struggling in kick off like him

good,excellent analysis

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

good,excellent analysis
Did you just float your own boat like that? :D

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Good question, WBB. I have always wondered whether Dansby would be better off on the edge. But, the way he played at his ILB spot this year, if he's re-signed, he's staying there.

Better off?? Mitch, how much better and how much bigger of a contributor can Dansby be?? He had a monster season this year... I can't imagine what our defense would've been like if not for his presence in the middle.

I guess if Minter showed he is ready to step up, it could be interesting to see Dansby on the edge, however, it's hard for me to imagine him being as productive on the edge as he was this season.

That said, it certainly wouldn't be the worst scenario if Minter became a stud inside and Dansby was moved to the edge... I don't doubt that Karlos can be effective outside, however, I don't see him being nearly as productive and having the same type of impact as he's had on the inside...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'd like to add in a shout out to my boy Dan Williams. He took more reps once Ta'amu went down with an ugly knee injury and managed to wrap up the mercurial Colin Kaepernick and hold down the middle of the D.

Great job, Dumpster Dan.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd like to add in a shout out to my boy Dan Williams. He took more reps once Ta'amu went down with an ugly knee injury and managed to wrap up the mercurial Colin Kaepernick and hold down the middle of the D.

Great job, Dumpster Dan.
Yeah that was sweet, took up a lot of space the whole time too.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score

Great job, Dumpster Dan.

yeah, so much this. Dan was huge yesterday, in more ways than one.

On another note, why did Tony Jefferson play so little yesterday? He was excellent at Seattle.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

Great job, Dumpster Dan.

Even got a roughing the QB penalty on Kaepernick, who got up whining to the official. Like coach, like quarterback. There's a reason they're called the Whiners.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Nice job Mitch-----Q definitely pointed out what the Cards had squandered away when they let him go without trying to compete. IMO he was the reason that Fitz was so successful here in the beginning. No one else has averted attention away from Fitz since then, like Q did.

Great job by the Niner OC from the outset. Even greater job by our Cards, after falling behind in the first quarter to dominate after that. I have never been more proud of this team.

I hope nothing serious happens during contract negotiations to disrupt the chemistry that this franchise has throughout. It would be a shame to have bad feelings ruin that. It has been so very special. No other team I have ever watched has learned, (and continued to learn), like this one did each and every day of the year. That was phenominal.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Great job, Dumpster Dan.

I've always liked Dan this year it was more about what Ta'amu was doing than what Dan wasn't doing.

Hopefully we have both again next year if Meda can heal up.

freebyrd

Reaction score
Nice job Mitch-----Q definitely pointed out what the Cards had squandered away when they let him go without trying to compete. IMO he was the reason that Fitz was so successful here in the beginning. No one else has averted attention away from Fitz since then, like Q did.

Great job by the Niner OC from the outset. Even greater job by our Cards, after falling behind in the first quarter to dominate after that. I have never been more proud of this team.

I hope nothing serious happens during contract negotiations to disrupt the chemistry that this franchise has throughout. It would be a shame to have bad feelings ruin that. It has been so very special. No other team I have ever watched has learned, (and continued to learn), like this one did each and every day of the year. That was phenominal.

wouldn't it be phenomenal if we somehow managed to keep dansby and get Q back next season?
that whole deal that got him to san francisco was the definition of nepotism,

i can''t see the whiners letting him walk especially to us
but i really hate anquan at the moment seeing him n that uniform and crushing us in the first quarter left a bad taste

but i could forgive him if he decided to come back like the prodigal son ;)

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
wouldn't it be phenomenal if we somehow managed to keep dansby and get Q back next season?
that whole deal that got him to san francisco was the definition of nepotism,

i can''t see the whiners letting him walk especially to us
but i really hate anquan at the moment seeing him n that uniform and crushing us in the first quarter left a bad taste

but i could forgive him if he decided to come back like the prodigal son ;)

I don't see this team signing Q (although I'd like them too).

Kiem has said he wants to add a burner (that ain't Q).

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bowles was asked when DWash was returning if Los or DWash could play some OLBer since we lost 3 to injury in week 3. Bowles kinda snickered and said no....the difference between the positions is huge and totally different.

I was surprised by his response because Los has played OLBer but my guess is that OLBer in a 4-3 is far different than a 3-4 OLBer.

Back on topic, good post Mitch. I would be thrilled if the Cards could get Q back but can't see it happening for several reasons.

Man oh man does Palmer get me irritated with some of his picks. Not all of them this season were his fault but there are some that many high school QB's wouldn't throw. I did notice CP looked very irritated (I assume with himself) after his pick which hasn't been the case from what I have observed this year. The fact that he simply did his CP thing and kept on slinging it and did bring us back to tie the game tells me the irritation was that he knows better and realizes he made a dumb mistake.

Many of the other picks were due to getting hit when throwing or tipped balls or WR's running the wrong route or CP making the wrong read but this one was totally on him and he was pissed at himself.

Feely had to have played his last for the Cards after that last game. He's been solid for us but at this point someone better and probably cheaper can be found.

I agree K9 that Dumpster Dan came up big this game. I do think he is better than Ta'amua and was glad to see him get extended playing time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort