Miller once again does it again!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rondae Jefferson is a Wildcat! Miller is building an unbelievable program. Cats are so lucky too have him.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Big time get. #10 player in the nation and plucked out of Philly.

Wouldnt trade Sean Miller for ANY coach in NCAA basketball.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if this helps get some other guys.. Like Keith Frazier..

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Pitts from CA then Jefferson from Philly. Miller recruits coast-to-coast.

And this is coming off a non-tourney year. Imagine what we'll do when/if we reach the Final Four next season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if this helps get some other guys.. Like Keith Frazier..

UA fans are saying UA and Frazier have cooled. Miller is apparently now focused on stealing Aaron Gordon from UW. I'll go ahead and predict if UA gets Gordon, Romar won't be at UW much longer. He's had a huge lead in that recruitment the family greatly regrets Drew picking UCLA for basketball over UW for his relationship with Romar, if Aaron does the same thing, and picks a conference rival, I think UW is going to make a move on Romar.

I haven't seen Jefferson play in games but he's awfully athletic and handles the ball like a guard. Weird looking shot he really pushes it but has a high arc, shooting is supposed to be his weakness but looks like he does everything else exceptionally well.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
UA fans are saying UA and Frazier have cooled. Miller is apparently now focused on stealing Aaron Gordon from UW. I'll go ahead and predict if UA gets Gordon, Romar won't be at UW much longer. He's had a huge lead in that recruitment the family greatly regrets Drew picking UCLA for basketball over UW for his relationship with Romar, if Aaron does the same thing, and picks a conference rival, I think UW is going to make a move on Romar.

I haven't seen Jefferson play in games but he's awfully athletic and handles the ball like a guard. Weird looking shot he really pushes it but has a high arc, shooting is supposed to be his weakness but looks like he does everything else exceptionally well.

He is 5-star player, who Dave Telep said is one of the hardest working players he has seen. He said Jefferson has been working on his outside shot all summer. He has so much talent, some are comparing him to Iggy.

Miller's next big target of course is Gordon, who will be at the red/blue game. Btw, they will be honoring the 1988 team and every player from that team will be there. Also, Iggy will be getting honored too. This could have a huge impact on Gordon. The game should be sold out in one day.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't want to compare accomplishments with Lute, but have we ever seen this kind of activity in the space of a few years during the Golden Years? I don't remember there being this kind of excitement over the recruitment of MULTIPLE players. Miller is almost too good to be true.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Well, let's see him win consistently before we fall blindly in love. He sure is an exceptional recruiter, though.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite a loss for LSU I imagine.

If you believe the rumors UA nearly lost him to LSU because of a certain website being in such a hurry to report a scoop, they pissed off Victor. The claim is Victor silent verballed to UA and told Book Richardson, then a certain website announced it. Victor got mad because he thought Book had leaked it, UA got mad at the site who they felt had simply overheard him tell book that and leaked it.

That's where all the rumors started he was goign to LSU with Korey McCray, but in the end Miller is apparently an ACE recruiter and got him anyways.

Huge loss for LSU one of the primary reasons they hired McCray is he'd been recruiting Victor hard at UCLA and apparently had a connection. UA's coach Pasternack apparently has ties to the AAU coach.

Kind of an ideal college recruit, very good player, but at 6'8" probably not big enough to play the 4 in the NBA, and while skilled, not a 3. So he may spend 3 years at UA.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Oh man Russ do I have a follow up story on that certain website and ACE properieter from the Victor Recruitment last week. crazy couple weeks in UA recruiting.

Excited about Victor for same reasons you brought up. 3-4 year player. Add SJ and justice to him and PJC?!?

Wouldnt trade Coach for anyone? Does Miller lose recruiting battles like ever? Remember that Paola article about ASU catching up to UA recruiting? LMAO

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Oh man Russ do I have a follow up story on that certain website and ACE properieter from the Victor Recruitment last week. crazy couple weeks in UA recruiting.

:biglaugh:

Still cracks me up when I think about that

Excited about Victor for same reasons you brought up. 3-4 year player. Add SJ and justice to him and PJC?!?

Wouldnt trade Coach for anyone? Does Miller lose recruiting battles like ever?

It's almost criminal how Miller snags these top recruits. I sometimes have to convince myself that Stanley Johnson still hasn't committed.

Remember that Paola article about ASU catching up to UA recruiting? LMAO

LMFAO. At least she's a good sport about it these days. Some would bury their heads in the sand. How many reporters publicly admit that they thought Ryan Leaf would become a better pro than Peyton Manning?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wouldnt trade Coach for anyone? Does Miller lose recruiting battles like ever? Remember that Paola article about ASU catching up to UA recruiting? LMAO

Is it a story you can share here? I know on the Scout boards the UA fans were furious with that other site. First off the kid had been making it clear for months he liked UA so there was no real scoop. But people in that line of work have got to know sometimes they hear things they're not supposed to announce, and doing so just to get a scoop is just silly. He's really lucky Victor still picked UA, if he hadn't, his access to UA would have been cut off entirely, it's likely severely limited beyond of course AAU events and the kids since UA can't stop him from talkign to them there.

I still have reservations about his actual coaching but you can't argue with miller's ability to get recruits. Sometimes not sure he knows how to fit them together, but that should change with McConnell this year.

Basically the starting 5 this year is all capable of being first team all Pac 12. Obviously not all 5 will, but any of them are good enough that if things go right they could make that spot.

And with Oregon having a C ruled ineligible and Cal having Cobbs out with a broken toe, the 2 teams I figured most likely to challenge UA this year are a little more iffy. Cobbs is supposed to be back by the opener but you always worry about foot injuries.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have reservations about his actual coaching but you can't argue with miller's ability to get recruits. Sometimes not sure he knows how to fit them together, but that should change with McConnell this year.

This is my feelings.. Just because he has all these players doesn't mean he can make them fit.. After last year I'm waiting to see what he does when he has a true PG.. Then I'll have a better feel for his coaching.. Maybe last year was just a hiccup.. Great recruiter though..

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This is my feelings.. Just because he has all these players doesn't mean he can make them fit.. After last year I'm waiting to see what he does when he has a true PG.. Then I'll have a better feel for his coaching.. Maybe last year was just a hiccup.. Great recruiter though..

The crazy thing is that I actually felt from the get he is a MUCH better coach then recruiter and even with his prowess in the recruiting space proven at this point, I still believe that to be the case. Thats why he does so well in the tourney (at least thus far) - he is great coaching from half to half and game to game. His defensive principles are proven and sound and I agree the lack of PG had held back the offense since being in Tucson. Expect that to change with McConnell and PJC.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The crazy thing is that I actually felt from the get he is a MUCH better coach then recruiter and even with his prowess in the recruiting space proven at this point, I still believe that to be the case. Thats why he does so well in the tourney (at least thus far) - he is great coaching from half to half and game to game. His defensive principles are proven and sound and I agree the lack of PG had held back the offense since being in Tucson. Expect that to change with McConnell and PJC.

Well except much of the perception he does well in the tourney is based on 2 games he should have lost, Memphis and Texas the Elite 8 year. Great block by Williams but the kid was fouled on the way up by the other UA player from behind(the forward from San Diego blanking on his name).

The texas game was even worse you can literally see the ref count to 4 and then call 5 seconds as the Texas player(Kabongo I think) is asking for timeout. they explained after that game how they do that and the ref is supposed to count to 5 while doing the the hand motion and again he only counted to 4 before he blew the whistle for the 5 count.

If one of those calls in either game went the other way, UA would have been out in the first or second game. that's how the game goes little things lead to big things. The Duke game was of course impressive as hell but that's really an outlier, UA doesn't play that way under Miller very often it was a case of Duke doubling Williams in the 2nd half and UA exploiting it.

I think he's a remarkable recruiter but I think there was a reason he didn't win a game last season against UCLA, cal and Oregon in conference games, because all 3 teams had better coaches. Not as good at recruiting, but better at actual coaching. Oregon should have won it last year if Artis didn't get hurt and Cal finished 2nd with 6 players, remarkable coaching years by both Altman and Monty.

Just to be clear that's not a bash of Miller, the last NC UCLA won was completely luck. Harrick got O'Bannon because UNLV went on probation, then Ed stayed because he blew out his ACL. That got us Charles who was going somewhere else(I think Kentucky) until he found out Ed was staying. The PG was Edney, a guy Harrick didn't want. He was very lucky to win that thing he was a mediocre coach and he would have gotten UCLA on probation if they'd kept him much longer. He was the definition of better lucky than good.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
A) 90% of coaching is recruiting/evaluation
B) The only people who think Miller can't coach are UCLA fans.
C) Even if Russ' conspiracy theories of 2011 are true, does Miller's Tourney success at Xavier not count?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A) 90% of coaching is recruiting/evaluation
B) The only people who think Miller can't coach are UCLA fans.
C) Even if Russ' conspiracy theories of 2011 are true, does Miller's Tourney success at Xavier not count?

I didn't say conspiracy I said the same people that say UA was one long 3 away from a 2nd Elite 8 and one missed shot from a Final four with Williams forget they were one missed foul call away from losing to Pastner in the first round. It goes both ways.

There's a lot of luck involved in runs like that. Again 1995 if edney doesn't pull it off UCLA doesn't even get to the final 4.

Miller did well at Xavier yes, so did the coaches before and after him, there's a solid talent base to recruit from there and there's enough history that Xavier tends to be good regularly.

In the last 15 years Xavier has won 20 or more games 14 times. IN the last 20 it's 18 out of 20. Miller took over a good program that was on a roll, and continued the roll. I would add the one year in 15 that they didn't win 20, was Millers' first year but 3 years after that he won 30 and made an Elite 8. He left the program in the same shape it was when he took over.

There's an article out today that names Miller as one of the coaches under 45 likely to make the coaching HOF. He certainly has a chance at the rate he's going.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

We'll know for sure by 4:00 as Johnson is expected to announce on ESPNU this afternoon. It sucks UA couldn't get Humphrey or Dastrup but a class of a trio of 5-stars makes this class Top 5 in the country.

Duke should also get some good news as 5-stars Tyus Jones & Jahlil Okafor (#1 player in the country) are expected to annouce for Duke tonight as well.

One player to keep an eye on is Justise Winslow who is still uncommitted and would add even more athleticism should he decide on UA.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marshall Cherrington ‏@mcherrington22 21m
#Arizona is getting a good one in Parker Jackson-Cartwright. Hesitation is so good and once he's by you, he's gone. Great vision as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA