ASU and UofA All Time Great Players; Rankings

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Azcentral.com has done a nice job of trying to fill the Summer doldrums by trotting out one of the 50 greatest ASU UofA Football players each day.

They are currently up to #36 with Jim Jeffcoat for ASU and Tom Tunicliffe for UofA.

Here's a few of the previous ones

ASU:

No. 37: Quarterback Mike Pagel, 1978-81
No. 38: Quarterback Mark Malone, 1977-79
No. 39: Running back Ben Malone, 1971-73
No. 40: Offensive tackle Juan Roque, 1992-96

UofA

Sorry don't recognize the names :thumbdown

Is it just me, or are we starting so see some separation on these lists between the superior ASU players and the ones from UofA?

HooverDam

Reaction score
ASUs list is obviously superior, but thats to be expected. ASU has had more success in football and put out more quality players. Though UAs list isn't terrible by any means. Im quite enjoying reading AZ Centrals list, as a ASU fan Im not familiar w/ a lot of the UA players from before my lifetime, so its educational.

What would also be interesting is doing an all time starting team for each school and seeing how they stack up. IE for ASU it might be something like*:

O:

WR: John Jefferson

TE: Zach Miller

LT: Juan Roque
LG: Randall McDaniel
C: Scott Peters (Mike Pollack? Someone else???)
RG: Grey Ruegamer
RT: Danny Villa

QB: Jake Plummer
RB: Woody Green

TE: Todd Heap

WR: JD Hill

ST:
K: Luis Zendejas
P: Trevor Hankins
Returner: JR Redmond

D:

DE Terrell Suggs
DT Will Sutton
NT Curley Culp
DE Jim Jeffcoat

(this D-line would put people in the hospital)

LB Pat Tillman
LB Ron Pritchard
LB Adam Archuleta

(you could also put Darren Woodson in here, but he was a better pro than collegian)

CB Mike Haynes
S Mike Richardson
S David Fulcher
CB Phillipi Sparks

* This was more or less off the top of my head, Im sure Im forgetting some people, or making picks you might not make.

Not sure how UAs lineup would look, I imagine ASUs is better. I like ASU defense a lot, its insane. The offense is good to, but the defense is a murders row.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Mitchell Freedman will make the list? Scumbag.

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't mean to diss UofA totally, just trying to get a conversation going here.

But there have been some pretty big names towards the bottom of this list for ASU. It will be interesting to see what it looks like as we get toward the top.

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASUs list is obviously superior, but thats to be expected. ASU has had more success in football and put out more quality players. Though UAs list isn't terrible by any means. Im quite enjoying reading AZ Centrals list, as a ASU fan Im not familiar w/ a lot of the UA players from before my lifetime, so its educational.

What would also be interesting is doing an all time starting team for each school and seeing how they stack up. IE for ASU it might be something like*:

O:

WR: John Jefferson

TE: Zach Miller

LT: Juan Roque
LG: Randall McDaniel
C: Scott Peters (Mike Pollack? Someone else???)
RG: Grey Ruegamer
RT: Danny Villa

QB: Jake Plummer
RB: Woody Green

TE: Todd Heap

WR: JD Hill

ST:
K: Luis Zendejas
P: Trevor Hankins
Returner: JR Redmond

D:

DE Terrell Suggs
DT Will Sutton
NT Curley Culp
DE Jim Jeffcoat

(this D-line would put people in the hospital)

LB Pat Tillman
LB Ron Pritchard
LB Adam Archuleta

(you could also put Darren Woodson in here, but he was a better pro than collegian)

CB Mike Haynes
S Mike Richardson
S David Fulcher
CB Phillipi Sparks

* This was more or less off the top of my head, Im sure Im forgetting some people, or making picks you might not make.

Not sure how UAs lineup would look, I imagine ASUs is better. I like ASU defense a lot, its insane. The offense is good to, but the defense is a murders row.

That's a killer list, and you didn't even include Darren Woodson!

HooverDam

Reaction score
Derrick Rodgers over Archuleta. Danny White, anyone? :)

He was a D-lineman at ASU, LB in the pros. Just like Tillman and Archuleta were Lbs in college, moved to S in pros, Suggs was a DE at ASU has mostly been OLB in the NFL, etc.

I was trying to recognize guys more for collegiate greatness than what they'd later do in the pros. I LOVED Rodgers, but you certainly can't put him ahead of Suggs. He was consensus All American, so maybe you put him ahead of Jeffcoat, but Jeffcoats ASU career was longer, so thats why I gave him the nod.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
UofA

Is it just me, or are we starting so see some separation on these lists between the superior ASU players and the ones from UofA?
Newsflash: Nobody outside of Tempe would recognize the majority of those names for ASU listed so far either.

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Newsflash: Nobody outside of Tempe would recognize the majority of those names for ASU listed so far either.

:eek:

Serious?

Mark Malone? Jim Jeffcoat? Will Sutton? Sean McDonald? Gerald Riggs? Darren Woodson?

None of those ring a bell??

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Serious?

Mark Malone? Jim Jeffcoat? Will Sutton? Sean McDonald? Gerald Riggs? Darren Woodson?

Yeah. As an ASU fan, we do brag about some fairly minor players in the grand scheme, but Mao's criticism sounded slightly insincere.

I'll admit that outside of Tempe and Pittsburgh, there are at least two generations of football fans that do not know that Mark Malone played football before his broadcasting career. I imagine a similar scenario for Eric Allen, who will certainly be up near the top of ASU's list.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
UofA

And yet that "superior" list of names that somehow has "separation" is 38-47-1 overall head-to-head.

There is no separation between ASU and UofA football, especially now with UofA running laps around ASU from a recruiting standpoint and having the more nationally regarded (and respected) coach.

Want to see real separation? Let's look at basketball, shall we?

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
:biglaugh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5877414

You always bring some good laughs to the ASU/U of A rivalry discussion.

I bring laughs because every time you step up to me, I tar-and-feather your ass not out of effort, but because you've never provided substance to support your stance. It does not take much to embarrass you. You are arguably ASFN's least compelling member.

And once again, you bring a knife to a gun fight.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ils-coach-todd-graham-new-president-liar-club

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-pitt-for-another-dream-job-at-arizona-state

Go read the book "Three and Out" for some true perspective on the RichRod fiasco at Michigan. Eye-opening material that explains why a BCS bowl coach and someone who was offered the Alabama job had roadblocks while at UM, which inhibited RR's success.

Try better

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I bring laughs because every time you step up to me, I tar-and-feather your ass not out of effort, but because you've never provided substance to support your stance. It does not take much to embarrass you. You are arguably ASFN's least compelling member.

:biglaugh: Burn! Keep on keeping on TJ! U of A football is going to win the Rose Bowl! U of A hoops are the best program EVAR!!!

TJ

Reaction score
Ever heard of the Law of Diminishing Returns? It describes the impact of your use of the "Big Laugh" smilie. Congrats

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ever heard of the Law of Diminishing Returns? It describes the impact of your use of the "Big Laugh" smilie. Congrats

Nah, we dont learn good at ASU, not like you attending the Harvard of the West.

Better start buying those Rose Bowl tickets, with your amazing roster, legendary coach and 5 star loaded recruiting classes, national championships are soon to follow!

You stop being so darn funny, and I'll stop laughing, deal?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet that "superior" list of names that somehow has "separation" is 38-47-1 overall head-to-head.

There is no separation between ASU and UofA football, especially now with UofA running laps around ASU from a recruiting standpoint and having the more nationally regarded (and respected) coach.

Want to see real separation? Let's look at basketball, shall we?

If you only follow catscratchfever.com or whatever, I can see how you might come to this conclusion. It's not true, but you're welcome to the delusion.

I do agree both programs are moving upwards.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

And once again, you bring a knife to a...

Try better
This is a hilarious declaration of winning the Internet. Not that important.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This is a hilarious declaration of winning the Internet. Not that important.

Hey, on the bright side, I'm ARGUABLY the least compelling member.

TJ's smack would have been great for yo momma.

You must be registered for see images attach

$200 cash money!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. As an ASU fan, we do brag about some fairly minor players in the grand scheme, but Mao's criticism sounded slightly insincere.

I'll admit that outside of Tempe and Pittsburgh, there are at least two generations of football fans that do not know that Mark Malone played football before his broadcasting career. I imagine a similar scenario for Eric Allen, who will certainly be up near the top of ASU's list.

You're probably right but for college football fans of my generation Mark Malone is a huge name. Back then, you couldn't get much bigger coming out of high school than Mark Malone.

Steve

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Serious?

Randal McDaniel and Pat Tillman? Everyone knows them.

This thread is so weird.

And I just noticed that TJ tarandfeather just dropped a bleacherreport link.

So great.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen