Official 2013 Draft Thread

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
he's a 7'1 C who averaged 11 ppg and 8 rebounds and apparently disappeared for long stretches at a time. that's a stiff IMO.

Well, I can't argue with you because you're making no sense. Call him underwhelming or something that at least accurately describes him.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Len seems decent for a #5 pick....Yeah he has a lot to prove but from what I've read he's pretty active for a big man. Len seems safer to me than Noel right now with his acl/weight issues.

Besides, I think we need to look at this with Gortat possibly being dealt...Aquiring Len makes Gortat expendable and getting something good in return is part of the overall big picture. So we get Len with "extras".

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not trading Gortat is one of the worst ideas in the history of bad ideas. Do we need him to "mentor" Len? What in his history says that Gortat can mentor anybody?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should look up the definition of that term, but arguing with you only ends in nothing so.

the term is subjective. my version of a stiff is a big guy who's not a great defensive player, is soft on offense...the fact that he has motor problems just compounds those problems for me.

your version of a stiff is different.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Suns aren't even trading Gortat...

Actually, this is much dumber than the Len pick. Len sits on the bench all year and Gortat leaves for nothing at the end of the year, while helping the Suns to just a good enough record to miss out on a top three pick in 2014. So far, McDonough not looking any smarter than Blanks. Bet they whiff on trading Dudley, too.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin;2851766[B said:
]Not trading Gortat is one of the worst ideas in the history of bad ideas. [/B] Do we need him to "mentor" Len? What in his history says that Gortat can mentor anybody?

I doubt we have many teams out there beating down our doors. Gortat is about to be a free agent and he's coming off an uninspired year for one of the worst teams in the NBA. None of that screams desirable.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I can't argue with you because you're making no sense. Call him underwhelming or something that at least accurately describes him.

we have different ideas of what makes someone a stiff. not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

The guy is Chris Mihm who IMO was a big white stiff. you have different ideas. so be it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I doubt we have many teams out there beating down our doors. Gortat is about to be a free agent and he's coming off an uninspired year for one of the worst teams in the NBA. None of that screams desirable.

Steve

I'm sure we'll trade him for some top notch talent at the trade deadline!

Love how the Suns insider talks up Len to trade Gortat, and they can't even execute that, just perfect.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously just get anyone off this board to GM this team. They would have to do a better job.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but there is a pretty good chance this isn't a lie. Are you that cynical that you think that they are absolutely lying?

Chap, their job, more then anything else is to sell tickets. i don't think they're lying because they're evil. I think they're just selling. Again...at least I hope they are.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
he's a 7'1 C who averaged 11 ppg and 8 rebounds and apparently disappeared for long stretches at a time. that's a stiff IMO.
Bro, I'm just as mad as you that we passed on McLemore but please don't talk nonsense.

Len is an incredibly athletic and long center. That's why he was seen as a possibility as #1 overall and he's a high risk/high award type player. Many people say that he could possibly be the best player in the draft if he fulfills his potential.

And he put garbage stats because he played in Maryland. That was a completely dysfunctional team with guards who have the brains that make Shannon Brown look like Thomas Edison.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we have different ideas of what makes someone a stiff. not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

The guy is Chris Mihm who IMO was a big white stiff. you have different ideas. so be it.

His comparison is Ilgauskas. Don't underestimate the upside here. ;)

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
True, but there is a pretty good chance this isn't a lie. Are you that cynical that you think that they are absolutely lying?

And even if they are, who cares?? I think they made a mistake, but there's nothing we can do about it except cross our fingers and hope it works out or be like slinslin and be done with the Suns for the year.
No, I'm just saying that because they said he's at the top of their boards, doesn't mean he necessarily was. Its a publicity stunt. Me and you don't know. According to most people, Oladipo was our #1 target.

And I don't hate the Len pick. I think he's a high risk/high award type guy. I'm pissed that we passed on McLemore for him but whatever.

But not trading Gortat is what's making me mad the most.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure we'll trade him for some top notch talent at the trade deadline!

Love how the Suns insider talks up Len to trade Gortat, and they can't even execute that, just perfect.

No, that's not very likely either. Truth be told, Gortat has gone on a mission to devalue himself and he's succeeded quite nicely. Basically, we're screwed. There's a long shot chance he'll step up and play strongly to start the season but it will take at least that to get much of value for him. I just don't blame this one on the organization. Well, I sort of blame the organization (namely Blanks) because I think the fact Beasley kept getting playing time even though in a merit based system he'd have never seen the court had a lot to do with Gortat disappearing.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No, that's not very likely either. Truth be told, Gortat has gone on a mission to devalue himself and he's succeeded quite nicely. Basically, we're screwed. There's a long shot chance he'll step up and play strongly to start the season but it will take at least that to get much of value for him. I just don't blame this one on the organization. Well, I sort of blame the organization (namely Blanks) because I think the fact Beasley kept getting playing time even though in a merit based system he'd have never seen the court had a lot to do with Gortat disappearing.

Steve
Gortat should have been traded the minute that Nash signed with the Lakers.

The Suns fans are better at anticipating the future of the team and their players than the Suns FO. Its sad but true.

Did they actually think Gortat would maintain that kind of value or continue to be good even after Nash left? LOL.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Len just turned 20 on June 19th. Who is to say he does not have an excellent upside. I trust McDonnough's judgement over the fans that condemn him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Steve

I suppose there is a slight chance that since this is a contract year, Gortat will actually play well and his value will actually rise before the trade deadline. As many here have said, his value is pretty low right now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bro, I'm just as mad as you that we passed on McLemore but please don't talk nonsense.

Len is an incredibly athletic and long center.

People were saying the same exact thing about Chris Mihm...who ended up being a big white stiff.

That's why he was seen as a possibility as #1 overall and he's a high risk/high award type player. Many people say that he could possibly be the best player in the draft if he fulfills his potential.

I don't buy a second of it.

And he put garbage stats because he played in Maryland. That was a completely dysfunctional team with guards who have the brains that make Shannon Brown look like Thomas Edison.

if you're that talented, you rise above bad guard play. drafting a guy at 5 who couldn't...and already has a) motor issues and b) injury issues is insanity, whether he's white or not.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap, their job, more then anything else is to sell tickets. i don't think they're lying because they're evil. I think they're just selling. Again...at least I hope they are.

Well, I actually agree that I hope they are as well, but a part of me really thinks that they are telling the truth here. Gut feeling, maybe.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Gortat should have been traded the minute that Nash signed with the Lakers.

The Suns fans are better at anticipating the future of the team and their players than the Suns FO. Its sad but true.

Did they actually think Gortat would maintain that kind of value or continue to be good even after Nash left? LOL.

Exactly, selling low is our specialty.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
@DaveKing_BSotS: per @krishabbas McDonough has been scouting Len for several years. Was one of first NBA guys to scout Len, who had been projected #1 by some

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Len seems decent for a #5 pick....Yeah he has a lot to prove but from what I've read he's pretty active for a big man. Len seems safer to me than Noel right now with his acl/weight issues.

Besides, I think we need to look at this with Gortat possibly being dealt...Aquiring Len makes Gortat expendable and getting something good in return is part of the overall big picture. So we get Len with "extras".

big guy with a stress fracture in the ankle. reminds me of sam bowie, but bowie was more explosive than Len will ever be.

they said Noel's knee was in pristine condition, being a lightweight guy and having some time to recover I think he makes almost a 100% recovery.

i'm not sure we took the bpa

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LMFAO!!! ESPN Player Comparison and percent like -

Yeah I don't see white stiff here at all.

6. Alex Len, Maryland

Comparisons: Meyers Leonard (92.7), Darrell Arthur, Robin Lopez, JaVale McGee