Trevor Bauer Traded For Didi Gregorius

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was pissed with this trade when it happen. I saw loads of potential with Bauer, and little no to upside with Didi. I'm glad I was wrong (so far..) Here's a stat for you DWKB, DD's OPS is 1.015, which according to my little chart here is... Great.9000 and Higher

Not bad!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you have to call him a head case? Why can't you just be happy with what we have without crapping on what we gave up?

Because he is one.

Why do you have to crap on players using stats? Mental makeup is as important as any stats, and just as vaild

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because he is one.

Why do you have to crap on players using stats? Mental makeup is as important as any stats, and just as vaild

I don't crap on people using stats, I talk about what they've done on the field using stats. Unless you're his psychiatrist or are actually in the clubhouse talking about a players mental makeup is take an uninformed opinion and just coming off like an ass.

The importance of mental makeup vs stats has nothing to do with your claimed ability to discern that mental makeup from your position. Let me guess, it's your right as a "fan".

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't crap on people using stats, I talk about what they've done on the field using stats. Unless you're his psychiatrist or are actually in the clubhouse talking about a players mental makeup is take an uninformed opinion and just coming off like an ass.

The importance of mental makeup vs stats has nothing to do with your claimed ability to discern that mental makeup from your position. Let me guess, it's your right as a "fan".

I will just take his old teammates word for it.

And yes, it is my right as the guy that pays the flakes salary.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, Jon, what gives you the right to post mean things about my mental state on here!?!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which teammates are those?

You pay nobody's salary.

Montero for one.

And yes, my ticket purchases, concession stand buys, and TV viewership sure as hell pays for the salaries.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Montero for one.

And yes, my ticket purchases, concession stand buys, and TV viewership sure as hell pays for the salaries.
You make a small contribution to their salaries. That is a much more accurate statement.

DiamondBacks5117

Registered
Reaction score
Early to tell but looks like this is working out. I am not sure about the Upton trade i hope we haven't seen all of Prado yet.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Didi was a great acquisition. Never had an issue with this trade because I had reservations about Bauer's mental state and priorities; on top of the fact that we had a loaded rotation even without him. We needed a bat at SS and we got it.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bauer threw tantrums, ignored teammates, was passive-aggressive as a balance to just being plain aggressive, and generally a butthead. He was such a negative force in the locker room, the D-Backs didn't even call him up to bolster the bullpen in September. On his first ever career start in Atlanta, it was almost one of those infamous Deep South 100/100 days. It was 97 degrees and thick with humidity. Bauer was such a slave to his workout, he had thrown the equivalent of 6 innings an hour before first pitch, and he was dripping with sweat. He mocked the front office, the coaches and they players who tried to tell him he can't do that his whole career. He had no friends in the organization because he alienated all of them, even his own peers. He was uncoachable.

I can't remember what's been reported and what I've been told by the team reporters, but this goes beyond, say, Albert Belle. He's not just surly. He has shut off all input into his life. I see that kind of determined, self-imposed alienation in a team sport to be psychotic. I agree with Jon, and I've seen that kind of thing lead to more exaggerated mental illnesses as people age. It's not just a lack of emotional maturity. It's approaching Jimmy Piersall kind of stuff.

Last edited:

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bauer threw tantrums, ignored teammates, was passive-aggressive as a balance to just being plain aggressive, and generally a butthead. He was such a negative force in the locker room, the D-Backs didn't even call him up to bolster the bullpen in September. On his first ever career start in Atlanta, it was almost one of those infamous Deep South 100/100 days. It was 97 degrees and thick with humidity. Bauer was such a slave to his workout, he had thrown the equivalent of 6 innings an hour before first pitch, and he was dripping with sweat. He mocked the front office, the coaches and they players who tried to tell him he can't do that his whole career. He had no friends in the organization because he alienated all of them, even his own peers. He was uncoachable.

I can't remember what's been reported and what I've been told by the team reporters, but this goes beyond, say, Albert Belle. He's not just surly. He has shut off all input into his life. I see that kind of determined, self-imposed alienation in a team sport to be psychotic. I agree with Jon, and I've seen that kind of thing lead to more exaggerated mental illnesses as people age. It's not just a lack of emotional maturity. It's approaching Jimmy Piersall kind of stuff.

I agree with all of this, and I don't care for the guy myself, I'm much happier NOW with Didi.

However, looking back, the guy was young. He was what, 21? He was a top draft pick, standout star at UCLA, had risen through the minor leagues at an incredible rate, what I'm getting at is the guy let all that get to his head. I imagine him thinking he was the next Nolan Ryan. "What do these coaches in AAA know? I'm Trevor FING Bauer!!" As he matures with age we'll see that unexcusable attitude go away, I'm sure.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not the first time and won't be last time I was wrong about a trade.

So far so good.

Just hope the team is prepared to deal with the different personalities of players as the team turns over.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Yep... :thumbup:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As he matures with age we'll see that unexcusable attitude go away, I'm sure.

ADD/ADHD is not an attitude, nor are obsessive compulsive or bipolar disorders. They are caused by chemical imbalances in the brain.

It is probable that Bauer's behavior is not as simple as maturity or attitude.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ADD/ADHD is not an attitude, nor are obsessive compulsive or bipolar disorders. They are caused by chemical imbalances in the brain.

It is probable that Bauer's behavior is not as simple as maturity or attitude.

Did they just appear after they drafted him?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
From a fan's perspective, they knew about his idiosyncrasies before they brought him up.

Hoping, I guess, that he would nevertheless honor the role of a Major League rookie. You can't fault the D'backs for giving him that chance.

Whatever his emotional illness is, his behavior was at the extreme end.

Once he was drafted, what had to be experienced was experienced.

The result of it all was Didi Gregorius as our everyday shortstop. That is a happy ending for the D'backs!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a fan's perspective, they knew about his idiosyncrasies before they brought him up.

Hoping, I guess, that he would nevertheless honor the role of a Major League rookie. You can't fault the D'backs for giving him that chance.

Whatever his emotional illness is, his behavior was at the extreme end.

Once he was drafted, what had to be experienced was experienced.

The result of it all was Didi Gregorius as our everyday shortstop. That is a happy ending for the D'backs!

Completely agree. Have him on my fantasy team already.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

His routine was fairly well known, and his over-zealous defense of it was one of an assortment of reasons he wasn't the No. 1 pick. The D-Backs were willing to take him because of his value at the pick, saying at the time they were committed to allowing him go about his process the way he wanted.

I don't know that they spent much time thinking about how he might interact with his catcher, his teammates, or his coaches, but neither do I think they expected him to rocket up through the farm system. He missed a lot of valuable humiliation because he was so good (when he wasn't walking guys like it was a conga line). I don't know that baseball puts a lot of value in psych reviews the way the NFL (and, lately, the NBA) does, although one would think they will start doing so considering the cost of 1st-round picks and the high-bust factor.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
His routine was fairly well known, and his over-zealous defense of it was one of an assortment of reasons he wasn't the No. 1 pick. The D-Backs were willing to take him because of his value at the pick, saying at the time they were committed to allowing him go about his process the way he wanted.

I don't know that they spent much time thinking about how he might interact with his catcher, his teammates, or his coaches, but neither do I think they expected him to rocket up through the farm system. He missed a lot of valuable humiliation because he was so good (when he wasn't walking guys like it was a conga line). I don't know that baseball puts a lot of value in psych reviews the way the NFL (and, lately, the NBA) does, although one would think they will start doing so considering the cost of 1st-round picks and the high-bust factor.

Right.

pacman

Veteran
Reaction score
Everyone was upset over this trade in the beginning but now everyone is in love with this trade. Go Didi! :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson