Kindle

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll be pre-ordering one of the larger Kindle HD's (299.00) and the new Kindle for my wife as she's still using an early generation Kindle. I doubt I'll replace my Kindle touch unless I get overly jealous when I see hers.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Amazon streams them live, for some reason. I wish they did. I'd tune in.

The new regular Kindle looks pretty cool. I'm interested in that feature that tells you how much time you have left until you finish the chapter/book. I think the weirdest part about reading on a device instead of reading a paper book is trying to figure out how much you have to left to read...there's sort of a missing sense of accomplishment, for lack of a better way to put it.

It is kind of strange that they don't stream them. Anyway, the tech bloggers do a pretty good job of passing the info right away so I guess it's no big deal. I've been a long time Amazon user and a part of me hates to see them becoming the next Apple but on the bright side, at least they aren't the old Apple.

Steve

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
My new best friend just arrived. :p

I have to wait to get home to set it up, but they've really improved the physical feel to it. It feels more solid, a bit heavier, and the material has a nicer grip to it.

I'm really excited about the lighting technology on this. I'm hoping it will be the perfect mix between the unlit Kindle and the overbright iPad.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My new best friend just arrived. :p

I have to wait to get home to set it up, but they've really improved the physical feel to it. It feels more solid, a bit heavier, and the material has a nicer grip to it.

I'm really excited about the lighting technology on this. I'm hoping it will be the perfect mix between the unlit Kindle and the overbright iPad.

I have a Touch so I bought a Paperwhite to replace my wife's 2nd generation Kindle. She's already in love with it and we're just on day 2. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of replacing my Touch also, this new one is pretty sweet.

Steve

AZZenny

Reaction score
I have a Touch so I bought a Paperwhite to replace my wife's 2nd generation Kindle. She's already in love with it and we're just on day 2. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of replacing my Touch also, this new one is pretty sweet.

Steve

How so? What makes it better? Is it as easy to read? b/c the older kindle readers are so much better for my eyes than the printed page, not to mention most electronic screens, I'm pretty reluctant to move forward.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How so? What makes it better? Is it as easy to read? b/c the older kindle readers are so much better for my eyes than the printed page, not to mention most electronic screens, I'm pretty reluctant to move forward.

It's still the e-ink but it's a lighted screen and they've improved the contrast (noticeably). I like the interface better than previous models, especially compared to the Touch UI which I thought was pretty clunky. I find it to be at least as easy on the eyes but I've only read about 4 hours on it so far. I also think it's easier to read one-handed and the touch screen layout works well for a man's hand or a woman's hand.

I really haven't found much to dislike about it so far, about the only thing I could offer is a couple of minor issues. It's one more step to turn off the Wi-Fi than it was on previous versions. It's only 7.5 ounces but because of it's small size it actually seems to feel a little heavier than the others.

I thought the Touch was a slight improvement over the 2nd Generation Kindle but if I had lived with one for a couple of days I'd have probably just stayed with my first one. I can't say that about the jump to the Paperwhite though, it already feels like the right decision. Unfortunately for me, it was my wife's turn to get the new model.

Steve

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really wish it had also had physical buttons for page turning as the original did, touchscreens aren't always the way to go.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really wish it had also had physical buttons for page turning as the original did, touchscreens aren't always the way to go.

I'm not a big fan of touch screens but in this case I'm very glad they did it. The screen is well laid out and very responsive and it's much easier to use than trying to push those tiny buttons with large hands. Also, I'd used my first Kindle so much that I had started to wear the letters off of the buttons.

I know you're talking just about the page buttons but I don't think that would have been very practical unless they wasted a lot of space and kept it the original size. Regardless, I find it easy to read and turn pages with one hand so I'm happy with the design.

Steve

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I would like page turn buttons too, but I think I'll get used to the touch screen.

The lighted screen is wonderful. It's so nice to be able to read in a dark room without feeling like you're looking directly into a headlight.

The choices in fonts, spacing, brightness, etc. make for a really pleasant experience. Well done, Amazon. :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve did you get the 3G one or just the wifi? I'm wondering when 3G would be a big advantage aren't you only using that to download books?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve did you get the 3G one or just the wifi? I'm wondering when 3G would be a big advantage aren't you only using that to download books?

I just got the wifi. I can't see much use for the 3G either. Like the other Kindles, it comes with an "experimental browser" so I guess you could use it for more than just downloading/buying books but I can't see that having much value.

Steve

AZZenny

Reaction score
Except maybe overseas. I used my kindle's free 3-G for limited browsing when I was in Israel in 2010, which has excellent 3-G coverage almost everywhere. 3-G actually is only so-so for downloads -- anything of much size requires wi-fi.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the 3G for the ability to get new content while travelling, but trying to do anything else over it is difficult. If I were to do it again, I'd probably skip it. The extra cost could buy a few books instead.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I was leaning towards just wifi that probably pushes me over the top.

Going to the Philippines in February and figure that's a good time to pick up a kindle paperwhite so I can read on the plane etc. Such a long flight.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Thanks guys I was leaning towards just wifi that probably pushes me over the top.

Going to the Philippines in February and figure that's a good time to pick up a kindle paperwhite so I can read on the plane etc. Such a long flight.

I don't think you need 3G, either.

Just download some Tolstoy or Dostoyevsky (free) so you'll always have something to read. :)

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should be picking up our Kindle Fire HD today. Jeff's book will be my first read.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here's a question on Kindle. I got my Paperwhite, really like it. but one thing I thought it did that it doesn't is synch to the Kindle app on my Android phone?

Is it possible to do that so I buy a book for my Kindle and can also have the same book on my phone?

I looked and I don't see any obvious way to do it, I have an account for my Kindle, and apparently an account for my android phone and i don't see any way to link them so I can buy a book once and then use either to read the same book.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here's a question on Kindle. I got my Paperwhite, really like it. but one thing I thought it did that it doesn't is synch to the Kindle app on my Android phone?

Is it possible to do that so I buy a book for my Kindle and can also have the same book on my phone?

I looked and I don't see any obvious way to do it, I have an account for my Kindle, and apparently an account for my android phone and i don't see any way to link them so I can buy a book once and then use either to read the same book.

I have a kindle fire and can read all of my books on my phone. All of your books are stored on the amazon cloud so you should easily be able to access them. You just use your Amazon account to get them. It should be the same account that you use for your Kindle.

Also both will sync up so that if I read a chapter on my phone, then pick up my Kindle, it will look to see where I last read and sync to the latest location.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a kindle fire and can read all of my books on my phone. All of your books are stored on the amazon cloud so you should easily be able to access them. You just use your Amazon account to get them. It should be the same account that you use for your Kindle.

Also both will sync up so that if I read a chapter on my phone, then pick up my Kindle, it will look to see where I last read and sync to the latest location.

Yeah I googled it and figured out how to do it. Had to go to manage my kindle on the Amazon site and then tell it to send the book to my android but it's there now and yes it's supposed to synch like you said.

Very cool.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool I can see already I'm going ot have to get one for Lucy and then put it on the same account so we can share books.

Love this thing so far.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool I can see already I'm going ot have to get one for Lucy and then put it on the same account so we can share books.

Love this thing so far.

That's what my wife and I do. She uses the Kindle app on her Ipad 2. Books are cheaper on Amazon.

The only problem that I encountered is that if you read the same book at the same time the syncing of pages between devices gets all screwed up.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what my wife and I do. She uses the Kindle app on her Ipad 2. Books are cheaper on Amazon.

The only problem that I encountered is that if you read the same book at the same time the syncing of pages between devices gets all screwed up.

Lucy is literally reading War and Peace right now, I'm reading Grisham so I don't think we have to worry about us reading the same book too often.

:D

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lucy is literally reading War and Peace right now, I'm reading Grisham so I don't think we have to worry about us reading the same book too often.

:D

We both decided to read the Hunger Games before the movie came out and ended up reading the entire trilogy at the same time. Otherwise we typically don't read the same books.

I really love how you can sync up different devices. It's great when I have to take one of the kids to practice or something. I just whip out my phone and continue where I left off on my Kindle.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We both decided to read the Hunger Games before the movie came out and ended up reading the entire trilogy at the same time. Otherwise we typically don't read the same books.

I really love how you can sync up different devices. It's great when I have to take one of the kids to practice or something. I just whip out my phone and continue where I left off on my Kindle.

I had no idea how much needing to wear reading glasses was impacting me until I got the kindle. I am reading 2 chapters a night, easily, no headaches no problems whatsoever on the Kindle.

One of the best purchases I've made in years so far, thanks to everyone on this thread. From what I've heard if I'd bought one of the earlier Kindles they weren't nearly as good on the eyes so I'm glad I waited for the Paperwhite.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no idea how much needing to wear reading glasses was impacting me until I got the kindle. I am reading 2 chapters a night, easily, no headaches no problems whatsoever on the Kindle.

One of the best purchases I've made in years so far, thanks to everyone on this thread. From what I've heard if I'd bought one of the earlier Kindles they weren't nearly as good on the eyes so I'm glad I waited for the Paperwhite.

I think the Paperwhite is an improvement over all earlier models but I think you'd have been just as thrilled if you'd bought into it on an earlier version. I still read on a Kindle Touch most of the time and when it's on the charger I read with my Kindle 2. I have no problem reading with either of those. Where the Paperwhite really helps out is if you are reading in poor light.

I'm glad I bought into Kindle when I did and I have no problem with the fact that I will be buying my 3rd one sometime in the next year in addition to the 2 my wife has. I used to read sparingly because of eye strain and an ever-changing prescription that left my reading glasses behind. But now, Kindle has turned me into an 8 hour a day reader. I love being retired. Even with as much as I now read, it's not all that expensive. For the most part, I read nothing but trashy self-published fiction and I rarely spend more than 3 dollars for a new book and many of them are a buck or less.

Steve

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen