Goran Dragic back in Phoenix

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
It's funny that so many people are complaining about Marshall being the backup now, when most of them were probably complaining that the Suns drafted him.

And if the Suns didn't bring in Dragic, they'd probably be complaining that Marshall is the starter.

You'd think that watching 6-7 years of terrible backup PG play would make people realize how nice it will be to have someone who can actually help the reserves not completely fall apart offensively. (As long as Marshall pans out.)

A solid backup PG that can give you 15-20 minutes a game is a REALLY nice luxury to have. And if he shows that he has some real ability, he (or even Dragic) can be a nice trade piece in the future.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I'd have rolled with Marshall as a starter. I don't like this signing. I'd have kept my powder dry on this money until NEXT offseason with a top-three draft pick (assuming Marshall starting). Then we bring in our top draftee and another big FA signee - one a swing, one a frontcourt guy.

Even with Gordon, Dragic, and Beasley the Suns will have max money next year.

So I've got no issues at all with what they're trying to do.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Even with Gordon, Dragic, and Beasley the Suns will have max money next year.

So I've got no issues at all with what they're trying to do.

umm no they won't

They will be capped out this year and Warrick the only FA. They add 2 first round picks and most contracts on the team increase.

They are not going to have max money next year if they sign Gordon. They likely won't have any capspace next year.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Love the Dragon. We never should've traded him the first place. I just hope this move doesn't net us more wins than we need... which is 20-30 a year over the next few years for some high draft picks.

OP
OP
jagu

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Love the Dragon. We never should've traded him the first place. I just hope this move doesn't net us more wins than we need... which is 20-30 a year over the next few years for some high draft picks.

I think coming out of Nash's shadow helped him as a player. He had a chance to start for the Rockets which was huge in terms of experience. Would he have had that chance with the Suns? I'm not sure about that.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think coming out of Nash's shadow helped him as a player. He had a chance to start for the Rockets which was huge in terms of experience. Would he have had that chance with the Suns? I'm not sure about that.

Suns just have to send their PGs down to the Texas league for some seasoning before the call them up.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
umm no they won't

They will be capped out this year and Warrick the only FA. They add 2 first round picks and most contracts on the team increase.

They are not going to have max money next year if they sign Gordon. They likely won't have any capspace next year.

Guestimated... 2013-2014 ($61 Million)
**current cap for 12-13 will be $58Million)
Gordon - $9.5 * If signed
Dragic - $7.5
Gortat - $7.7
Childress - $7.1* Possible Amnesty
Frye - $6.4
Beasley $6.5
Warrick - $4.9
Dudley - $4.2
Lopez - $4.5* If signed
Morris - $2.2
Marshall - $2.0

Put us right at $62 Million if they keep eveyone plus $4-$2 for rookies

I am sure the Suns will cut ties with Childress or Move some of the other bad deals, we will still need to sign 1 more to get to the min 12/13 players.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dragic - $7.5
Gortat - $7.7
Frye - $6.4
Beasley $6.5
Warrick - $4.9
Dudley - $4.2
Lopez - $4.5* If signed
Morris - $2.2
Marshall - $2.0

I am sure the Suns will cut ties with Childress or Move some of the other bad deals, we will still need to sign 1 more to get to the min 12/13 players.

Warrick has a team option so you can take him out but 9.5mil is Gordon's QO, the max for him will start around 12-13mil. Even without Warrick, Childress and Lopez Suns won't have max money next year.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Dragic - $7.5
Gortat - $7.7
Frye - $6.4
Beasley $6.5
Warrick - $4.9
Dudley - $4.2
Lopez - $4.5* If signed
Morris - $2.2
Marshall - $2.0

Gordon's starting salary is 12.9$.

The Suns will have to amnesty Childress or Warrick this year to sign Dragic, Gordon, Beasley and Lopez.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What's even more funny is that Houston is now going to sign Aaron Brooks back....so basically the trade was just completely pointless. Houston didn't even use the 1st rd pick we gave em, it ended up becoming a filler in a bigger trade.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What's even more funny is that Houston is now going to sign Aaron Brooks back....so basically the trade was just completely pointless. Houston didn't even use the 1st rd pick we gave em, it ended up becoming a filler in a bigger trade.

Except it gave Dragic a chance to run his own team for a time and learn a few leadership qualities. Being a backup to Nash, I doubt he would have done much over the past year and a half. We almost certainly would not have signed him to this large of a contract if he had remained.

It was great for Goran because he was able to turn the trade into a big contract.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Except it gave Dragic a chance to run his own team for a time and learn a few leadership qualities. Being a backup to Nash, I doubt he would have done much over the past year and a half. We almost certainly would not have signed him to this large of a contract if he had remained.

It was great for Goran because he was able to turn the trade into a big contract.
Ironically, not too unlike Steve Nash returning from Dallas, ready for superstar status.

I am not saying that Dragic is going to be a superstar. But a solid Point Guard (and a good defensive one) who can also play some Shooting Guard to give the rookie some extra time at PG is a pretty good situation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gordon's starting salary is 12.9$.

The Suns will have to amnesty Childress or Warrick this year to sign Dragic, Gordon, Beasley and Lopez.

I don't think the Suns get Gordon unless they do a sign and trade. That should include a player like Lopez so there goes some salary plus something else. The problem is the Suns may have to give up picks to get N.O. to do it. I think going after Gordon was a reach the Suns should not have taken because, as you point out, the CAP implications.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ironically, not too unlike Steve Nash returning from Dallas, ready for superstar status.

I am not saying that Dragic is going to be a superstar. But a solid Point Guard (and a good defensive one) who can also play some Shooting Guard to give the rookie some extra time at PG is a pretty good situation.

I still remember the Dragic that last played for Phoenix before he was traded. He played with a lack of confidence which still worries me.

As I have said before, it concerns me that Houston can stick most any PG in their system and they play well... Dragic, Lowry, Brooks. Has Dragic turned the corner or can most any PG play that plays for Houston look good?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I still remember the Dragic that last played for Phoenix before he was traded. He played with a lack of confidence which still worries me.

As I have said before, it concerns me that Houston can stick most any PG in their system and they play well... Dragic, Lowry, Brooks. Has Dragic turned the corner or can most any PG play that plays for Houston look good?
'No doubt that Dragic not having to be a Nash clone opens the door to his reaching his potential at this stage of his career back in Phoenix.

It's a whole new ball game than when he was here the first time. Just as it was for Nash when he wasn't behind Kidd and KJ upon his return. Granted, Steve had a chance to reach more of his potential before leaving Dallas.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

What system? McHale doesn't run the Princeton offense like Adelman did. Lowry played well for doth coaches, as did Dragic down the stretch of the last 2 years. Aaron Brooks looked good then fell off a cliff under Adelman and Johnny Flynn looked like the same sub-par player as he did in Minnesota.

Really the only thing that was stopping Lowry from being an All-Star caliber PG earlier in his career was the fact he had no jumper. Now that he has a jumper out to 3pt range he looks great(even though his defense has fallen off somewhat).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What system? McHale doesn't run the Princeton offense like Adelman did. Lowry played well for doth coaches, as did Dragic down the stretch of the last 2 years. Aaron Brooks looked good then fell off a cliff under Adelman and Johnny Flynn looked like the same sub-par player as he did in Minnesota.

Really the only thing that was stopping Lowry from being an All-Star caliber PG earlier in his career was the fact he had no jumper. Now that he has a jumper out to 3pt range he looks great(even though his defense has fallen off somewhat).

That's the beauty of it, there is no system so they are hard to defend. :)

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Unless Dragic was just playing well because it was a contract year for him and he was motivated...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless Dragic was just playing well because it was a contract year for him and he was motivated...

To me, there has never been the indication that Dragic is just lazy and dogging it. It was clearly about confidence.

I am expecting him to be just fine here.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
To me, there has never been the indication that Dragic is just lazy and dogging it. It was clearly about confidence.

As long as the fans and the Press don't expect him to be Steve Nash.

All too often, the person following a legend turns out to be a buffer.

The Pittsburgh Pirates had the best idea after Roberto Clemente died. Instead of putting someone -- anyone -- in RF the next season in his shadow, they moved his best friend Manny Sanguillen from Catcher before eventually looking for a long-term RF.

I hope Dragic hasn't gone from the frying pan into the fire. From being the unsuccessful understudy to Steve Nash to taking the place of the legend.

The sad point is that the Suns don't have a "Manny Sanguillen" to take over the Point for a year. Actually they do -- Grant Hill. Even as a wing covering the point. But he's older than Steve and could hardly handle the pace of 36 minutes per game at Point Guard.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Hopefully man.

But damn wouldn't it be nice if he can turn himself into an All Star caliber PG?

The irony behind trading him to Houston (just like we traded Nash to Dallas) would be overwhelming :D

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully man.

But damn wouldn't it be nice if he can turn himself into an All Star caliber PG?

The irony behind trading him to Houston (just like we traded Nash to Dallas) would be overwhelming :D

18 and 8 and solid D would be just fine, more than that, absolutely wonderful. He would not be, and will never be Nash, but his d will be better.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd be ok with him averaging 14pts & 7 assists in 35 minutes. Hopefully he can get on the same page with Gortat pretty quick in the P&R.

Have we officially signed him to his 4yr $30-34 million deal yet?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'd be ok with him averaging 14pts & 7 assists in 35 minutes. Hopefully he can get on the same page with Gortat pretty quick in the P&R.

Have we officially signed him to his 4yr $30-34 million deal yet?

No, only things we've done officially is trade Nash and sign Gordon to an offer sheet. Waiting to see how the Gordon situation comes out.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Hopefully man.

Not sure Dragic will make the All Stars since Nash us in LA and Paul also. But I would be happy with 15pts, 8 asts for year one