Arizona Cardinals, Calais Campbell Talking Contracts: A New Deal on the Horizon

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Campbell

Very happy to see we are at least talking. He is an awesome player and probably the best pass blocker in the NFL. Probably the best kick blocker in the NFL. He and Dockett are an awesome duo and should be part of a great defense for years to come if we hold on to all the young defensive guys we have. It has probably been since the 60's that we had such potential on defense. At the beginning of the year we sort of sucked but then the lights came on as our new defensive coordinator got things rolling. We are looking more and more like Pittsburgh every week. I do not know where we stand on sacks in the NFL but we must be climbing. I also am impressed that we are finally starting to use our TE in our offense. That has been a long time in coming. Todd Heap has made a difference. Apparently we have done a good job on drafting on the defensive side of the team. Never thought I would say that.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Campbell

Very happy to see we are at least talking. He is an awesome player and probably the best pass blocker in the NFL. Probably the best kick blocker in the NFL. He and Dockett are an awesome duo and should be part of a great defense for years to come if we hold on to all the young defensive guys we have. It has probably been since the 60's that we had such potential on defense. He is like the second coming of To Tall Jones. At the beginning of the year we sort of sucked but then the lights came on as our new defensive coordinator got things rolling. We are looking more and more like Pittsburgh every week. I do not know where we stand on sacks in the NFL but we must be climbing. I also am impressed that we are finally starting to use our TE in our offense. That has been a long time in coming. Todd Heap has made a difference. Apparently we have done a good job on drafting on the defensive side of the team. Never thought I would say that.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is the one thing I have been the most scared about in the offseason was seeing Cambpell leave...

If they can secure him, everything else this offseason is GRAVY..

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
This is the one thing I have been the most scared about in the offseason was seeing Cambpell leave...

If they can secure him, everything else this offseason is GRAVY..

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb...ak-to-the-o-s-173740.html?highlight=offseason

Personally, I think Calais is the only player we can NOT afford to lost this offseason.

The rest of the UFA are mid-teir guys, and after Campbell, Doucet, is really the only player that would be a bit of work to re-sign, and that is IF we want Doucet back.

The rest are expendable guys, or RFA's, and EFA's.

If the Cardinals re-sign Campbell early then they really don't have too much else to do in house, IMO.

The biggest situation after Campbell ? It could be Beanie Wells who is in the last year of his contract.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very happy to see we are at least talking. He is an awesome player and probably the best pass blocker in the NFL. Probably the best kick blocker in the NFL. He and Dockett are an awesome duo and should be part of a great defense for years to come if we hold on to all the young defensive guys we have. It has probably been since the 60's that we had such potential on defense. At the beginning of the year we sort of sucked but then the lights came on as our new defensive coordinator got things rolling. We are looking more and more like Pittsburgh every week. I do not know where we stand on sacks in the NFL but we must be climbing. I also am impressed that we are finally starting to use our TE in our offense. That has been a long time in coming. Todd Heap has made a difference. Apparently we have done a good job on drafting on the defensive side of the team. Never thought I would say that.

After watching the Steelers play the Niners last night, I believe our defense is every bit as good as the Steeler defense.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb...ak-to-the-o-s-173740.html?highlight=offseason

Personally, I think Calais is the only player we can NOT afford to lost this offseason.

The rest of the UFA are mid-teir guys, and after Campbell, Doucet, is really the only player that would be a bit of work to re-sign, and that is IF we want Doucet back.

If the Cardinals re-sign Campbell early then they really don't have too much else to do in house, IMO.

The biggest situation after Campbell ? It could be Beanie Wells who is in the last year of his contract.
It says here that Wells isn't an UFA until 2014.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/beanie-wells/

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Richard Marshall

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I think we could afford to lose either Keith or Brown, but not both. Pickings are slim at OT in free agency, and we're already forcing ourselves to draft a tackle in the first round.

I'd prefer to see Early stay than leave. Good teams just don't let players leave when they turn 26.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we could afford to lose either Keith or Brown, but not both. Pickings are slim at OT in free agency, and we're already forcing ourselves to draft a tackle in the first round.

I'd prefer to see Early stay than leave. Good teams just don't let players leave when they turn 26.

if it's Early or Marshall/Hyphen, I'd take Marshall/Hyphen. That being said, none of those guys should break the bank and it would be wise if the Cardinals were proactive and got them signed to decent deals before they hit FA.

but these are the Cardinals and if CC gets signed, that's major progress.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it's Early or Marshall/Hyphen, I'd take Marshall/Hyphen. That being said, none of those guys should break the bank and it would be wise if the Cardinals were proactive and got them signed to decent deals before they hit FA.

but these are the Cardinals and if CC gets signed, that's major progress.

Hyphen's a FA? Damn he should be pretty high priority!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hyphen's a FA? Damn he should be pretty high priority!

I believe so and agree... although, the less of him running kick-offs out from 8 yards deep the better. man, him getting out to the 20 at best and seemingly always having a holding call that allows him to do so starting us back at the 10 yard has been frustrating as hell to watch this year.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I believe so and agree... although, the less of him running kick-offs out from 8 yards deep the better. man, him getting out to the 20 at best and seemingly always having a holding call that allows him to do so starting us back at the 10 yard has been frustrating as hell to watch this year.

He is a RFA. A restricted free agent. All the Cardinals have to do is tender him for a high draft pick.

Done.

Same goes for Greg Toler.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

We are completely and totally screwed at OT. There are absolutely no free agents worth the price, and the college crew is "suspect".

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We are completely and totally screwed at OT. There are absolutely no free agents worth the price, and the college crew is "suspect".

Resign Levi Brown. Maybe take a swing at Demetrius Bell from Buffalo. Take DeCastro at OG in the first. Take a flier in the 4th or 5th on a guy like Nate Potter who has fallen but at least projects to the LT position or Datko in the 3rd or 4th who has fallen due to injury.

You are right though, no easy/immediate help at OT this offseason.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheese you took the words right out of my mouth I'm always yelling "down it" on the KO's because whenever he gets past the 20, it's a hold or block in the back.

If Ryan Williams is healthy I'm actually not all that worried about Hyphen I love the kid but I don't think he'd play much if RW is able to play. The new rule on the KO's has sort of reduced his value there. Nice out of the backfield but if Williams takes some of those chances away I'm not sure what we'll do with Hypen.

I'd try to keep him but if he wants too much you can't overspend to keep him.

Campbell is the key though if the franchise wants to show the fans they get it, they need to keep Calais.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree 100%. As crazy as it sounds we can't afford to completely replace our OTs all in one shot this year. There just isn't anything out there at the time being. We are pretty much stuck with them.

I'd like to see the Card renegotiate the last year of Brown's contract. If he doesn't budge you re-sign Keith and cut Brown.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
After watching the Steelers play the Niners last night, I believe our defense is every bit as good as the Steeler defense.

Keep in mind that the steeler defense was missing James Harrison and Lamar Woodley

So yes, without those two players, the Cards d is comparable

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the steeler defense was missing James Harrison and Lamar Woodley

So yes, without those two players, the Cards d is comparable

pretty much. those guys are exactly the two players this D is missing from being DOMINANT. Pure pass rushing demons.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort