Whis Post-game: "Kolb wasn't good enough to come back"

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
lol, how is it "anti-kolb crap"

Are we not allowed to post anti-Kolb crap anymore ?

Cause I still got a lot left. :D

We didn't even get to see him throw the ball at a wide open recievers' feet on third down, curse to himself, and make his angry/pouty face as he walks off the field.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Are we not allowed to post anti-Kolb crap anymore ?

Cause I still got a lot left. :D

We didn't even get to see him throw the ball at a wide open recievers' feet on third down, curse to himself, and make his angry/pouty face as he walks off the field.

I take back all that mean stuff I said about you on the "Vernon Davis is a WR" thread.

<3

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
done with kolb, skelton has great accuracy and poise, everything else will come. keep skelton in. QBOF

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
done with kolb, skelton has great accuracy and poise, everything else will come. keep skelton in. QBOF

You must be thinking of Red Skelton. John Skelton has plenty of accuracy issues IMO, although he did do a good job of hitting Early Doucet in stride on Early's TD catch and run.

27Veer

Veteran
Reaction score
When compared to other first or second year Q B's who have a questionable offensive line he is doing very well. Give him one of the dropped passes and he has his first 300 yard game.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
encouraging to see Skelton play better

that being said: two of his three turnovers were the direct result of some very bad decision making--

on his scramble: get the first down and then get down. Set aside the turnover -- he has to understand that he is the back up QB with Bartel as the next option. He has to finish that game. He cant be taking unnecessary shots -- and to fumble the ball there compounds the problem.

The 2nd half interception: its pretty rare where a QB rolls one direction, throws across his body into the middle of the field and something good happens. He was in FG range at that point, and needed to simply plow forward and see if he could pick up the first down. If not -- fine, kick the FG.

Even the int. before the half -- he was late with that ball, giving the DB a chance to close. If that ball comes out on time, its incomplete at worst and you kick it away.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When compared to other first or second year Q B's who have a questionable offensive line he is doing very well. Give him one of the dropped passes and he has his first 300 yard game.

Or take away the one he threw to Goldson that Fitz stole for a TD and he's nowhere near 300.

It goes both ways. What I like about Sketon is as others have said he seems to have the ability to screw up royally and then forget about it. Somtimes that's good, sometimes you want to squirt him with water to get him to stop doing the same mistake.

I just don't recall too many instances where I've seen an NFL QB go from wildly erratic to accurate due to time in the league and coaching. I'm sure there are examples but it's pretty rare.

he has the glaringly bad habit of missing high.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Or take away the one he threw to Goldson that Fitz stole for a TD and he's nowhere near 300.

It goes both ways. What I like about Sketon is as others have said he seems to have the ability to screw up royally and then forget about it. Somtimes that's good, sometimes you want to squirt him with water to get him to stop doing the same mistake.

I just don't recall too many instances where I've seen an NFL QB go from wildly erratic to accurate due to time in the league and coaching. I'm sure there are examples but it's pretty rare.

Favre. Elway. Aikman. Drew Brees was below 60% completions his first two years as a starter, and his current career average is more than 5 points above it. Steve Young only completed 53.7% of his passes for the Bucs in 14 games.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Favre. Elway. Aikman. Drew Brees was below 60% completions his first two years as a starter, and his current career average is more than 5 points above it. Steve Young only completed 53.7% of his passes for the Bucs in 14 games.
So Kolb should be pretty good in a little while then right? :D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah but that wasn't so much accuracy as just being on really bad teams or just not knowing what they were doing. They weren't missing high on wide open players.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah but that wasn't so much accuracy as just being on really bad teams or just not knowing what they were doing. They weren't missing high on wide open players.

Skelton has played on a 5-11 team and a team that was 1-6 when he came into the starting job. He's also a second-year player from the Patriot League who didn't get a single rep through his first season and didn't have a second offseason. Which category does John Skelton fall into here, Russ?

And which category did the 2003 Chargers fall into? Brees completed 57.3% of his passes throwing to LDT, David Boston (70 rec, 880 yards, 7 TDs), and Antonio Gates. They 2003 Chargers were 4-12, but was that maybe because Brees threw 11 TDs and 15 INTs?

Skelton has Fitz, but he also has the rotting corpse of Todd Heap (my theory is that Joey Porter's rotting corpse bit Todd Heap in training camp), Early Doucet, and Andre Roberts.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I take back all that mean stuff I said about you on the "Vernon Davis is a WR" thread.

<3

LOL.

BTW, K9 Davis looked really good blocking yesterday. Better than I remember so I stand corrected. He sealed a couple lanes yesterday in a way that I have never seen be before. For some reason I was compelled to focus in on his blocking. :D

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Skelton has played on a 5-11 team and a team that was 1-6 when he came into the starting job. He's also a second-year player from the Patriot League who didn't get a single rep through his first season and didn't have a second offseason. Which category does John Skelton fall into here, Russ?

And which category did the 2003 Chargers fall into? Brees completed 57.3% of his passes throwing to LDT, David Boston (70 rec, 880 yards, 7 TDs), and Antonio Gates. They 2003 Chargers were 4-12, but was that maybe because Brees threw 11 TDs and 15 INTs?

Skelton has Fitz, but he also has the rotting corpse of Todd Heap (my theory is that Joey Porter's rotting corpse bit Todd Heap in training camp), Early Doucet, and Andre Roberts.

He started 2 or 3 games last year, so I'm pretty sure that he got some reps. I also doubt that he will be able to improve his accuracy since he does not have quick feet like your referrenced QB's (Brees, Elway, Favre, Aikman).

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He started 2 or 3 games last year, so I'm pretty sure that he got some reps. I also doubt that he will be able to improve his accuracy since he does not have quick feet like your referrenced QB's (Brees, Elway, Favre, Aikman).

Aikman was hardly quick-footed, but that didn't prevent him from adding 5 points to his career completion percentage after his second season.

Sorry, Skelton didn't get reps before he became the starter.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ummmm...We won.

We beat a top 3 NFC East team with Skelton leading the offense.

He was plenty good enough yesterday. That doesn't mean he has the consistency to do it next week or the week after...or that Kolb would have done better (or worse) yesterday, next week or the week after.

We just have to make the best educated guess about whom we can win with, let things play themselves out and learn more about each guy as the season winds down.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It really seems like Skelton does better when pressured and blitzed. In the 1st 49er game he was getting all day to throw and couldnt do anything... part of that was because the Niners were dropping 7-8 guys in covererage, but 6-19 is awful no matter how you slice it. Yesterday the Niners were pressuring him more often and when he has to move around with the pocket or make a quick read his instincts as a QB look pretty good, where when he has to sit back and stare over all his options his instincts seem to go out the window.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My wife is a Bronco fan so we had both games on at once... for the first 3 quarters Tebow threw every pass in the dirt in front of the receivers.

Skelton threw them all high.. We were both screaming wtf???

pretty funny actually, both teams won.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So Skelton's missing guys by a mile because THEY suck?

Brees was not wildly inaccurate as a young QB I can't imagine why you picked 2003 as the year to use, could it be because it's the only year in Brees' career where he played in more than 1 game(as a rookie played one game) and completed LESS than 60% of his passes?

I mean you wouldn't just omit the other 3 seasons of 60.8 , 65.5 and 64.6 now would you? I mean that would have to just be a mistake wouldn't it?

had one season in his career where he was close to as bad % as Skelton and it came AFTER completing 61% of his passes(526 attempts) in his first full year as a starter.

And yeah Boston caught 70, Gates caught 24, which makes sense since he was an unknown rookie that year. Who was also 2nd on the team in catches by a WR or TE.

But if you're confident that this year will be the only year of Skelton's career that he's under 60% then I'll be quite happy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aikman was hardly quick-footed, but that didn't prevent him from adding 5 points to his career completion percentage after his second season.

Sorry, Skelton didn't get reps before he became the starter.

You're also completely overlooking most of the guys on your list were high draft picks. See they were picked high for a reason, they showed traits in college that led people to think they could be good NFL QB's. They're not always right see Tom Brady, but Skelton wasn't picked high for a reason, most people didn't think he was going to be an NFL starter.

He certainly might be, would be great if he was, but his accuracy issues seem a lot more related to just him not throwing straight than to him playing in the Patriot league.

Reading defense and other stuff by all means it's the level he played at in college, not accuracy.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
So Skelton's missing guys by a mile because THEY suck?

Brees was not wildly inaccurate as a young QB I can't imagine why you picked 2003 as the year to use, could it be because it's the only year in Brees' career where he played in more than 1 game(as a rookie played one game) and completed LESS than 60% of his passes?

I mean you wouldn't just omit the other 3 seasons of 60.8 , 65.5 and 64.6 now would you? I mean that would have to just be a mistake wouldn't it?

had one season in his career where he was close to as bad % as Skelton and it came AFTER completing 61% of his passes(526 attempts) in his first full year as a starter.

And yeah Boston caught 70, Gates caught 24, which makes sense since he was an unknown rookie that year. Who was also 2nd on the team in catches by a WR or TE.

But if you're confident that this year will be the only year of Skelton's career that he's under 60% then I'll be quite happy.

Skelton has a problem with his footwork. Its a known problem and it seems to be a fixable one (hence why he's inconsistent). The lack of an offseason means he couldn't talk to coaches about how to fix it

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife is a Bronco fan so we had both games on at once... for the first 3 quarters Tebow threw every pass in the dirt in front of the receivers.

Skelton threw them all high.. We were both screaming wtf???

pretty funny actually, both teams won.

But that's why Tebow like McNabb doesn't throw a ton of picks. If you miss in the dirt it's rarely going to get picked, if you miss high, well you get 9 INT's in 145 attempts this season with 4-5 others that could have and likely should have been picked in recent weeks. Missing high is a fatal flaw for an NFL QB, it also gets WR's killed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skelton has a problem with his footwork. Its a known problem and it seems to be a fixable one (hence why he's inconsistent). The lack of an offseason means he couldn't talk to coaches about how to fix it

I agree to a point. The problem he has that bugs me is he'll have all day to throw, open WR, step into the throw, and still miss badly.

With Kolb when he's wild you can see why, isn't stepping into throws, throws off back foot, arm angle etc. With Skelton he'll make the perfect throw and have you thinking man this guy can be really good, and then he'll be nowhere near his target the next time.

I think Kolb's accuracy issues are more fixable the question is can he hang in the pocket.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

+1

Doubbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbble DEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard