2011 NBA Draft- Day of Thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bynum is maybe not athletic but he is BIG.

Markieff is is 6'9 8'10 1/2 standing reach, 31" running leap, 11 bench press repititions, 241lbs
Amare is 6'10 9' 1/2 standing reach, 32" standing leap 36" running leap, 12 bench press repititions, 233lbs

Amare is rather small for a PF. Markieff is much shorter, less athletic and not even stronger.

You asked me to name one tough defender in the NBA that is not athletic and I named 3. I can name more.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
If Derrick Williams is too small for the PF (like some have mentioned), wouldn't Markieff be too small as well?? About same height and weight - Williams is a lot longer and jumps a lot higher though but if he's too small for the 4...

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Nets just bought the #31st pick from the TWolves for cash. If the Suns wanted to draft someone else there they could have had.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah you saw Markieff play against college kids, great.

He is an inch shorter, he has shorter arms, he is a much worse leaper, about the same weight and did less bench press repetitions DESPITE having shorter arms.

No he is not.

Amare true height:6'9 1/4"
Standing Reach: 9' 0.5" (only slightly better)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wake me when the Lakers start drafting. LOL

4 picks and they're all late 2nd round.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amar'e Stoudemire measured 6'10 at the Draft combine.

I guarantee you he is not. My friend I work with is 6'9 1/2" and took a picture with Amare that is on his desk at work. He was taller then Amare.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I would prefer ANYONE over Markieff Morris, this seals it for me, not going to watch a Suns game next season.

Well there's a silver lining in every cloud isn't there!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Slin is hilarious. How is 6'9 and 240lb small for a PF?
You're right. For years, the benchmark for a Power Forward has been at least 6'9" and at least 235 lbs. (if muscular). Not a Power Forward playing Center, but a legitimate PF. Hopefully, Markieff won't be playing backup Center for us.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
You're right. For years, the benchmark for a Power Forward has been at least 6'9" and at least 235 lbs. (if muscular). Not a Power Forward playing Center, but a legitimate PF. Hopefully, Markieff won't be playing backup Center for us.

Right, exactly! He is fine for a PF. Now if he starts backing up Gortat, we have a problem. I just really like the fact that we actually drafted a physical 6'9 240lb PF.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amar'e Stoudemire measured 6'10 at the Draft combine.

if we are talking about defense I have no idea why slin chose to compare Morris to Amare Stoudemire. At the time of his draft Amare was 6-8.5 barefoot, had a 9-0.5 standing reach and world-class athleticism. He probably has average size for a starting power forward in the NBA. I just don't understand why when we are talking about Morris being a defender and rebounder we are comparing him to Amare Stoudemire. Amare Stoudemire is an average rebounder. He's one of those guys who seems to bring his numbers up with the easier rebounds and rarely gets those rebounds away from the other team. Defense? He's one of the worst defensive forwards in the NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the price of picks is too much for Phoenix. I thought the Suns would try to buy a pick before now... at least an early second rounder.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns were stunned Kwahii Leonard was on the board and, supposedly they had him higher than Morris, but Blanks chose to go big anyway.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
if we are talking about defense I have no idea why slin chose to compare Morris to Amare Stoudemire. At the time of his draft Amare was 6-8.5 barefoot, had a 9-0.5 standing reach and world-class athleticism. He probably has average size for a starting power forward in the NBA. I just don't understand why when we are talking about Morris being a defender and rebounder we are comparing him to Amare Stoudemire. Amare Stoudemire is an average rebounder. He's one of those guys who seems to bring his numbers up with the easier rebounds and rarely gets those rebounds away from the other team. Defense? He's one of the worst defensive forwards in the NBA.

I really believe Markieff will be Kurt Thomas esque. That's who I'd compare him too... from what i remember in 95 Draft, Kurt Thomas wasn't great athletically but he turned out OK. He was the leading scorer (I think) in College but became a solid defender that could shoot, rebound, etc.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of the trades today involved moving multiple pieces with different teams. I kept thinking this was probably too complex for the Suns FO to handle. :rolleyes:

However, how hard can it be to buy a draft pick?

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns were stunned Kwahii Leonard was on the board and, supposedly they had him higher than Morris, but Blanks chose to go big anyway.
The Suns didn't work out Leonard, which could have contributed to them passing on him. They should have prepared for the possibility of him being there, imo.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I'm excited to see the +/- on Morris next year.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen