2011 NBA Draft- Day of Thread

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
And Marcus will be even worse defensively so what is your point? If Markieff doesn't translate defensively, his brother sure as hell won't because he was clearly the inferior defender. Given the two players, you still have to pick Markieff. Again, not a game changer but there was none of those players left anyway.

I agree with you.

He doesn't have the longest arms or the best offense but what he does really well is fight for position down low and he's aggressive.

His defense is about positioning and strength. I think he does give us something we haven't had and thats someone who will put a body on you.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Markieff was the Prospect I liked the least (in my top 40).

There were plenty of players inferior in your top 40 then defensively. Was defense and rebounding not part of your criteria?

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Motiejunas (#20) & Flynn going from Minnesota to Houston for Brad Miller, #23, and a future 1st round pick.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
There were plenty of players inferior in your top 40 then defensively. Was defense and rebounding not part of your criteria?

That's what's pissing me off. Everyone cries about defense and rebounding, but when the Suns picks someone who can defend and rebound, they complain about it.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
At this point my reaction is that it could have been worse. I don't know if Morris is who we need, but at least he's a real PF and not an out of position SF. Have they passed on anobviously better prospect? Some of the guys left may be reallly good, but I don't think we are missing any all-stars.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what's pissing me off. Everyone cries about defense and rebounding, but when the Suns picks someone who can defend and rebound, they complain about it.

I don't think that's it at all. I think there's a question about how much he can defend and rebound.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I don't think that's it at all. I think there's a question about how much he can defend and rebound.

Markieff is slow, short and not athletic.

How many players like that are known for their defense in the NBA. Markieffs best case is probably a Drew Gooden like career or Brian Cardinal.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How many players like that are known for their defense in the NBA.

You're strong criticism is noted. And noted. And noted. And noted. (And noted.)

And noted.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We needed defensive presence. He appears to be that. He has some range as he could hit an open long jumper. This draft just doesn't have a lot of players in it from where we were selecting. Some good players at the top, some good depth lower, but not much impact from where we were picking.

We got a guy that will help out defensively, and we needed that. Badly. However bad we were in the regular season, it would have been worse in a playoff series. This year really showed that imo.

wings are a dime a dozen. Bigs like him are a bit harder to get. He has some tools, and while I don't expect him to realize all those tools and hone them into an all-star, he has enough tools once he progress a bit to be on the floor consistently.

He plays defense. He can rebound. He has heart. He can hit a long shot. He's athletic enough to jump for an alley-oop. Not a Lopez headcase.

From where we were and what was available, he was the right pick. We need him over his more offensively polished brother.

Perhaps he ends up sucking, or being nothing more than a bench player, but a borderline wing or a defensive minded bench big is a no brainer from where we are, and that's what it appears we were choosing from.

Again our slot didn't give us much to choose from, and that was beyond the Suns control. $arver still sucks though, but other than realizing this before the draft and trying to make something happen to alter how it played out, there wasn't much we could do once on the clock and the players we wanted were gone.

Hopefully he plays good defense with good positioning like we drafted him to do, and if he does there isn't much we should complain about given the circumstances. But we should of created our own circumstances.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boston could use Lopez after losing Perkins and Shaq. Maybe they are possible trading partners.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How many players like that are known for their defense in the NBA. Markieffs best case is probably a Drew Gooden like career or Brian Cardinal.

Ridiculous and 100% false. Athleticism is usually reserved for guys that dunk and run up and down the floor. There are a ton of bruisers in the NBA that are defenders and not knows for athleticism or quickness.

Where do you get this crap?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ny picks shumpert. Not a dantoni pick. He hates rookies. Wonder if he was picking for us. Nash to ny for shumpert and billups?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ridiculous and 100% false. Athleticism is usually reserved for guys that dunk and run up and down the floor. There are a ton of bruisers in the NBA that are defenders and not knows for athleticism or quickness.

Where do you get this crap?

Name one good defender in the NBA that is an average athlete, slow and undersized, just one.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score

you overrate just about everybody in the draft every year. In your mind every guy in the draft is going to be as good as their best projection... except whoever the Phoenix Suns pick. Now the Phoenix Suns have been pretty lousy at drafting over the last 8 years or more, so I won't blame you for dissing the pick. You just seem to think each year that every other player in the draft is going to be an All-Star.

Joe

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
He's a nice defender but the 5th worst athlete in Draft; short arms; undersized but I'm hoping he'll be able to defend at a high level. IMO, he comes off as a big jerk - every game it's elbow here and there. Talking trash Garnett like and talking trash to opposing fans, etc.

and talent wise I have (I believe) #20 - so I don't hate the guy or his talent but he reminds of Danny Fortson... I go back and forth with him, my dad had a talk with me and said the Suns were at their best with Truck Robinson, Maurice Lucas (two players I have never seen), and Barkley - enforcer types. I've never liked that kind of player but I'm hoping he'll be a top 6 defender in Draft - Chris Singleton would've been my choice (top defender) and followed by Iman Shumpert.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Dude, he is 6'9 and 240lb, that's pretty damn good for a PF. He also averaged over 8 rebounds in less than 25 minutes per game.
Give poor kid a chance.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tomorrow Gambo will tell us about all of the trades and players we almost had.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player