Game 10 Impressions: Chiefs 31 Cardinals 13

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
If we Cardinal fans had been apprised last week that there would be an array of hugs following this week's game, we would have let out a prolific sigh of relief.

There were plenty of Cardinals involved in hugs after the game yesterday...only they weren't hugs shared with teammates, they were hugs for Todd Haley.

In one and a half years as the Chief's HC (one and a half year removed from the Cardinals' NFC Championship and first ever Super Bowl appearance), Haley has his team far better prepared to make a run at a Super Bowl than Haley's former mentor Ken Whisenhunt and the now hapless Cardinals.

How has Haley done it?

(1) He has a GM in Scott Pioli who has a track record of making astute coaching hires and personnel moves.

(2) After spending one year doubling as the team's OC, Haley was delighted to relinquish those duties to Charlie Weis---an OC with a few rings and a ton of experience.

(3) On the other side of the ball Pioli and Haley hire Romeo Crennel---30 years of experience and a few rings of his own.

(4) Pioli and Haley KNOW the paramount importance of having a very good QB---thus they made a trade two years to acquire Matt Cassell, who is now beginning to flourish in the system (19 TDs 4 ints).

(5) Haley has turned a once floundering Dwayne Bowe (only 4 TDs last year and 1 100 yard game) into his version of WR Larry Fitzgerald. Bowe now leads the NFL with 11 TD catches...which is more than one a game.

(6) Following a miserable loss at Denver, Haley had his team practicing in pads and hitting for three days this week in preparation for the Cardinals.
Haley knew---if you pound on the Cardinals---they will fold.

The Cardinals, meanwhile, despite having a decent chance of still making a run at the NFC West title, are playing with little urgency, and with a conspicuous lack of mental and physical toughness.

Haley was right---get physical with the Cardinals---for they will start doing some stupid things and will eventually implode.

Look at the results...

3 ridiculous personal foul penalties...two of which wiped out any chance at sustaining key offensive possessions and another of which led to an easy KC TD.

BUT, BUT, BUT...the Cardinals were justified! I mean sure they were provoked! Yeah, provoked like a bunch of suckers.

it goes all the way back to Kerry Rhodes and Adrian Wilson getting flagged the first few games for the same thing...as if to crybaby about getting hit.

Even Ken Whisenhunt took issue with the DA roughing. Er...Coach...watch the tape...DA did not stop or slow down at the whistle, in fact he started running what looked to be a bootleg...which prompted DE Tamba Hali to make sure DA wasn't going anywhere. And, clearly, Hali didn't add any extra roughing on the play, as he just dropped DA to the turf.

That said, it was good to see you get emotional Coach. Your team needs more of that...if not from you...from someone...

Yeah, that someone used to be Todd Haley...the same guy who had the temerity to suggest to Larry Fitzgerald (already a Pro Bowl WR when Haley arrived) that he was a "one-trick pony" and to Steve Breaston that "all you are going to be is a special teams' player."

While Breaston has continued his development after Haley left, albeit while fighting through injuries, Fitz (even by his own admission) has not played nearly as well and tough as he did when Haley was sharpening his tools. Perhaps this is why Fitz was seeking counsel from Haley in the hallways after the game.

Haley was a guy who even yelled at Kurt Warner and Anquan Boldin...

But that does the Cardinals no good now because all three of them are gone and, in the midst of this five game losing streak, the three of them seem like they are long, long gone.

The good news of the first half was that the Cardinal defense, no longer relying on Adrian Wilson as a man-to-man cover on the TE or a Cover 2 deep safety, managed to get some third down stops...and Coach Whiz suddenly found himself in a tighter than expected game (14-3) near halftime.

His offense is showing a little life, especially on the ground, as Beanie Wells and Tim Hightower combined for over 100 yards...and while DA is misfiring on half of his passes, he completed several passes for, as Kurt Warner says, "chunks" (good size gains).

So the offense is moving the ball...and faces a key 3rd and 1 from the Chief's 47 yard line...and inexplicably DA is in the shotgun and is going to throw short for it (the odds of which cannot be greater than running Wells or Hightower for a yard when they've been gaining 4-5 on most runs). Plus, you have to figure, it's two down territory.

Not only does DA throw a jittery incompletion...(see 4th and goal in the Tampa game and other key short passes)...

Whisenhunt, with an opportunity to make a profound statement to his offense to go for it on 4th and 1, punts the ball, and all he has is one timeout left and no way to stop the clock...thus conceding a 14-3 halftime score.

Plus...the Chiefs, having deferred the opening kickoff, are going to get the ball first in the second half.

The old Whiz used to go for it on 4th downs and even call on-side kicks to get his team's attention.

Maybe he was exhorted to do so by Haley.

But, this is not the same Whiz.

Whiz---it seems---has gotten so shell-shocked he's succumbed to the "let's just be happy keeping it close at halftime" mode.

As for the Cardinals' defense...after getting torched by Mike Williams for the second time in three weeks, one would think that stopping Dwayne Bowe would have been top priority, coverage-wise.

How then was Bowe as wide open as his was on NUMEROUS occasions?

One can see DRC half-heartedly chasing him on a couple of the plays, just as he half-heartedly got beat on both of Bowe's TDs.

Think DRC can outquick and outspeed Bowe?

One can imagine so with just a modicum of motivation...just a modicum.

And then, after yet another wide open WR or TE catching an easy completion, it's the same old Cardinals' secondary looking at each other like someone else is always to blame.

And this has been happening week after week...year after year...

As for the personnel decisions of defense...they remain mind-boggling.

First of all, the most electric LB on the team---BY FAR---in Daryl Washington---is wasting away on the bench. It would be one thing if the two vets in front of him were playing well, but both of them were awful yesterday.

Plus---and this is a BIG thing---when Washington hits, you hear it. There's some authority to it.

Who else on this defense ever hits hard?

Dockett has---but not too much this year.

Wilson---ditto.

Porter---ditto.

Rhodes---fuggetaboutit.

DRC---lol

When our guys run they take big hits---when our WRs catch the ball they take big hits---

When their guys run and catch they do not.

Pretty simple.

This is why you pound the Cardinals. They will fold.

Watching the other NFL games, I get so jealous watching real defenses hit. Don't you?

I get so jealous watching other defense rush the passer. Same?

I get so jealous to see stick man coverage all over the place. Think that the Pats beat Peyton Manning playing soft coverage?

While we've been spoiled with a Kurt Warner offense the last two and half years...when have we ever been treated to an all-out defensive effort?

It's a function of inadequate coaching, soft camps and poor leadership from the players.

For weeks I've been thinking that the physical 49ers were going to totally wipe out the Cardinals on MNF. If it's one thing the 49ers do---they hit you. Those two ILBers are big-time hitters and tacklers. Patrick Willis is the best ILB in the game and---having watched almost every 49er game this year, I can attest to the fact that Takeo Spikes has been bringing it big-time every week. Did anyone see the leaping goal-line hit he delivered on LaGarrette Blount yesterday?

But...after watching yesterday's 49er game...there is a way the Cardinals could beat them, if all or at least most of the following things happen:

(1) For starters the Cardinals have to show up physically ready to match the 49ers' intensity.(For this you do two things: (a) you have morning sessions with John Lott to get them extra primed; (b) you have them go back and watch the Saints' game---the most physical the Cardinals have been all year---as a reminder of what they can do when they bring it).

(2) Your defensive matchups are critical...because in this game you HAVE to shadow TE Vernon Davis with Kerry Rhodes (see the nice breakup in the end zone he made in man coverage on the TE yesterday?) from the moment Davis runs out of the tunnel---which means---you have to start Rashad Johnson at FS. You cannot have Adrian Wilson back there, nor can you have him try to cover Davis. Wilson should play in the box in the nickel and should be a pass rushing demon in this game.

Out of respect to Wilson the Cardinals won't do this...but they will be risking getting into an early hole.

DRC has to blanket Michael Crabtree...and on the other side Greg Toler needs to do the same with Josh Morgan...if not Toler, I would go with A.J. Jefferson, who made the most textbook pass breakup of the year yesterday when he covered the go route and looked back to find the ball, with Rashad Johnson arriving from the FS spot on time as well. Jefferson has the size and speed to take Morgan. Michael Adams or Trumaine McBride on Ted Ginn. And when they go two TEs with Delanie Walker, that player is Daryl Washington.

(3) In recent games---and twice (or more) yesterday, on third and longs, Bill Davis dropped Joey Porter into coverage and even had him try to cover the TE. This is outrageous. If Porter isn't rushing the edge every passing play, the Cardinals won't have a chance.

(4) Dan Williams has to have a big game at NT...as do Dockett, Campbell and Branch inside. Bottling up Frank Gore is imperative.

(5) Daryl Washington has to replace the ineffective Gerald Hayes.

(6) Matt Ware has to have a big game along side Rashad Johnson in the deep thirds.

(7) Darnell Dockett has to own rookie G Mike Iupati.

On offense:

(1) The Cardinals have to get to the second level to block Willis and Spikes...traps...leads...slot WR crackbacks...TE downblocks, whatever it takes. If I were coaching this week...I would single out 4 running plays and run them over and over and over in practice versus the variety of looks the 49ers run. Make these 4 plays count.

(2) There is no sense throwing short to the RBs in this game. Willis is on the short passes like no other ILB in the league. The only RB pass that will work is a sideline pass beyond the first level to the speedy LSH.

(3) We must CHIP DE Parys Harrelson and DE Ahmad Brooks---AT THE L.O.Scrimmage---NOT by blocking them with a lined up in the backfield TE or RB after they allow the DE to gain speed and power.

(4) Seal off the inside so that Anderson can step up and make the throws to the second and third levels. This is where you beat the 49ers' defense---in the second and third levels.

(5) With that in mind, get WR Steven Williams in the game this week...he's a player who can exploit the second and third levels.

(6) DA passed reasonably well yesterday to the area between the second and third level. This was great preparation for this week---providing he can step up into the pocket, as he did several times yesterday.

(7) For the deep passes---keep throwing them---just put a little more air on them. Once he gets one or two, the whole defense may start to crack. And, how about---as John Lynch pointed out repeatedly---when Fitz is in single coverage audible his way.

Will it be payback for the 49ers or continued punishment?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Will it be payback for the 49ers or continued punishment?

Regardless the fans will suffer the suck-a-tude.

This wreaks of the Suck Bowls we had prior to 2008.

I wonder if the Cardinals can play spoilers in the last minutes like the 49'ers did to us.

Who would have thought this would be a battle of the cellar dwellers at the beginning of this season ?

If you looked at the popular standing in the NFC West at the beginning of the season, it is the complete opposite of what most "experts" had on paper.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When that whole "Time Out, Roughing the Passer" thing was going on I was screaming at the television for Whiz to get himself tossed out of the game, as we've seen countless basketball coaches do over the years to get their team fired up. Sure, it would have been unusual, even unconventional and would have resulted in a fine, but it would have sent a great message to the team that Whiz "just wasn't gonna take it anymore".

But noooooo, that's not going to happen, not with this guy. Instead we see the perfect parable for this entire season unfold before us as the team slinks off into the locker room, evidently to compare chipped fingernails and examine bruised feelings.

Bah.

I told my wife after this game that I've evidently lost the mental toughness being a Cardinal fan requires, as it just isn't that much fun anymore. This isn't to say that I'm jumping on the "I'm outta here bandwagon" because I'm not. But for some unknown reason this year is far, far worse than even the awful 2000 - 2004 editions - because it shouldn't be this way at all.

Whiz has obviously lost his mojo somewhere.

I don't know if it was caused by the departure of Warner, whether it's the interference or ineptitude of the front office or whatever - but it's obviously gone. I hope he gets it back, but I am as positive of this as I am that I will still be a fan long after Whiz is gone, and that fact is that he isn't going to get it back by playing the victim in this mess.

Just like a much brighter person than myself once said, "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!"

And the time for stupid gesture is now.

Fire Grimm! Fire Davis! Bench Wilson! Do something other than blaming the frickin' weather for gosh darn sakes!

What the **** happened to the Whisenhunt I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could have been the greatest season of our lives, as weak as the West is - but they're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Sharky, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Anderson, he's gone man! Grimm, outahere! Niedermeyer...

Okay, there's no one named Niedermeyer on the team, but you get my point.

Arghhhhh.....

JTS

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Just like a much brighter person than myself once said, "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!"

JTS

So I was not the only person hoping for water coolers and shoulder pads to be tossed out onto the field ? Good.

Oh, and shame on you, I made this thread for you. I request 10 jokes stat. My jokes are horrible. I need the big guns.
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/for-my-cardinals-fans-derek-anderson-is-so-bad-160364.html

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
When that whole "Time Out, Roughing the Passer" thing was going on I was screaming at the television for Whiz to get himself tossed out of the game, as we've seen countless basketball coaches do over the years to get their team fired up. Sure, it would have been unusual, even unconventional and would have resulted in a fine, but it would have sent a great message to the team that Whiz "just wasn't gonna take it anymore".

But noooooo, that's not going to happen, not with this guy. Instead we see the perfect parable for this entire season unfold before us as the team slinks off into the locker room, evidently to compare chipped fingernails and examine bruised feelings.

Bah.

I told my wife after this game that I've evidently lost the mental toughness being a Cardinal fan requires, as it just isn't that much fun anymore. This isn't to say that I'm jumping on the "I'm outta here bandwagon" because I'm not. But for some unknown reason this year is far, far worse than even the awful 2000 - 2004 editions - because it shouldn't be this way at all.

I don't know if it was caused by the departure of Warner, whether it's the interference or ineptitude of the front office or whatever - but it's obviously gone. I hope he gets it back, but I am as positive of this as I am that I will still be a fan long after Whiz is gone, and that fact is that he isn't going to get it back by playing the victim in this mess.

Fire Grimm! Fire Davis! Bench Wilson! Do something other than blaming the frickin' weather for gosh darn sakes!

What the **** happened to the Whisenhunt I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could have been the greatest season of our lives, as weak as the West is - but they're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Sharky, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Anderson, he's gone man! Grimm, outahere! Niedermeyer...

Arghhhhh.....

JTS

Classic, JTS! Great post, Jeff.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
All great points about the upcoming game Mitch. Unfortunately, the one thing this coaching staff has proven is that they will not take the obvious steps toward improvement. They will instead, keep crashing into the same wall out of pure stubborn egos.

The 49ers will roll us, it will not be fun, it will not be close, and Whis will have officially lost this team (if he hasn't already) for the rest of the year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JTS

I thought the EXACT same thing.

Exactly. I saw this coach punt on 4th and 1 twice near midfield and the game still close, and finally decide to go for it after the game was out of reach.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
All great points about the upcoming game Mitch. Unfortunately, the one thing this coaching staff has proven is that they will not take the obvious steps toward improvement. They will instead, keep crashing into the same wall out of pure stubborn egos.

The 49ers will roll us, it will not be fun, it will not be close, and Whis will have officially lost this team (if he hasn't already) for the rest of the year.

I wonder if Whiz realizes he can't win with Davis as DC and with his QB situation (which may have been forced on him by the FO), thus he just wants to play out the string and get the best draft position, perhpas to be able to draft his QBOF.

Whiz seems to smart to be allowing for the same old assinine mistakes.

What do you think, dogpoo? Others?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Whiz realizes he can't win with Davis as DC and with his QB situation (which may have been forced on him by the FO), thus he just wants to play out the string and get the best draft position, perhpas to be able to draft his QBOF.

This QB situation was all on Whisenhunt. He cut Leinart and he selected Anderson along with the front office. He has to lie in this bed he made and unfortunately, so do we.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

All I know, is that I have never seen Whiz that angry after a game. He was pretty angry after the Pats game, but there was some spiteful anger in him last week.

I think he realizes he is losing his team, and is pretty much going to say, "Oh yeah ? Well I am not going anywhere, and 3-13 players don't make as much as playoff players do in free agency."

He has people fighting for jobs right now. I saw Dray, a host of CB's, Rashad Johnson, Daryl Washington, Dan Williams, O'Brien Schofield, and other players out on the field.

As well as some vets that looked like they were getting switched in and out like a preseason game where you are evaluating talent.

BTW - If there were some positives for the game yesterday, AJ Jefferson looked really good on his defense. That is exciting.

I we could get DRC's head out of his ass, and Toler learns from his first year (he has hit a wall, big time, it happens), and move Jefferson along then we have the talent to have a three 6' + fast CB's on the roster.

All we need is a DC, who stands a chance against NFL quality coaches.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...(which may have been forced on him by the FO),

Right there, Mitch, you touched on what I want to know about. How much of this whole fiasco, starting wih the QB situation, can be traced back to the FO?

Which takes me back to Shane's thread on trading Fitz. I don't trust Graves to make two good choices. Who is signing the paychecks? How much say does Michael B. REALLY have? How much power does Whiz really have? It's all one big mess and I want to find the root cause. If it IS Whiz. Fine. But if it's the FO that's a whole other story.

Personally, I think we're seeing a whole lot of symptoms that Whiz may be trying to apply Super Glue to. I've thought about it a lot and I just can't believe that the Whiz of "In Whiz We Trust" went straight to H this quickly for no reason. It's not just loosing Kurt. Something is not right in Tempe.

Thanks for the post Mitch. Yesterday was another day sitting on the couch saying, "Oh, man. I wonder what Mitch is going to say." I hope you find writing these somehow, I don't know, cathartic, because goodness knows we're all being driven to drink.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think Whiz realized he couldn't win with this team early in the season. This team was oohh so close to beating the Bucs and Vikings and with that things could be different today. I also don't think it's in his nature to lose on purpose. He and Haley went at it in one on one BB games and IIRC the winner had to walk back to the facilities if he didn't drive. There are stories about how he is very competitive in golf.

Lyncy or Pitts said that the team captains approached Haley about practicing in full pads this week. So maybe Haley does or doesn't know if you hit the Cards they will fold. I don't think they shy away from hitting but it does appear we get hit more then we hit at this point.

This season is such a punch to the gut. It has so many of us scratching and or banging our heads. Why even JTS wants to get back at the Germans for bombing Pearl Harbor.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the following is quoted from mitch's first post...aside from being totally spot on with his writing, the following and then some that i won't share as it is just a repeat of others comments:

"Watching the other NFL games, I get so jealous watching real defenses hit. Don't you?

I get so jealous watching other defense rush the passer. Same?

I get so jealous to see stick man coverage all over the place. Think that the Pats beat Peyton Manning playing soft coverage?

While we've been spoiled with a Kurt Warner offense the last two and half years...when have we ever been treated to an all-out defensive effort?

It's a function of inadequate coaching, soft camps and poor leadership from the players."

I have been a fan of the Cards since they were here in Chicago. This season tops the worst of the worst for me. When they were bad on paper you knew they would show up bad. This group is far beyond that. I truly believe the emotional factors in losing Warner and Matt getting axed are the primary reasons for this fiasco. I do not see any draft qb's who have a legit shot aside from the kid from Stanford...and it may take a boatload to move up to get him.....Vince Young anyone????

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

Bah.

Arghhhhh.....

JTS

:thud:

Our own little dysfunctional NFL team, in the spirit of the season, we've reached the time when the great uncle who can't keep his mouth shut has finally PO'D our paternal unit to the point punches are flying.

This site is going to be so funny over the rest of the year.

I'm convinced now the team is cursed, taken to the brink of glory, then Lucy rips out the football.

This team is Charlie Brown.

Last edited:

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I also wonder if trading Boldin has had any impact on this team we are seeing right now.....

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Good post Walt.

Don't agree on Steven Williams. The guy can't catch a cold. The only catches he makes are body catches, and DA, well let's just say you need to leap and use your hands. Not a good match IMO.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score

I don't really know what to think. My faith in him and his ability to run the team has certainly taken a hit. I think ultimately, that Bill Davis will be fired, but this team needs some major upgrades in the LB corps among several other defensive areas.

As far as the QB situation goes, I don't see Whis getting any QB that fits his mold if his mold is the loveable underdog who no one gives a second look. He needs a big time QB. Warner was that. Sure his story was inspiring, but that wasn't the only thing that made Kurt. The brain and athletic ability need to be there too. I think Whis gets too caught up in trying to find his type of guy. He needs to be able to work with different styles if he expects people to work with his. Part of being a coach.