Game of Thrones (HBO)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is going to be a MAJOR series for HBO. Which basically means it will end prematurely.

The problem is that this is a series of books that has had a 6 year wait so far for the latest installment. Many fans now believe that the author will not finish the series.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is going to be a MAJOR series for HBO. Which basically means it will end prematurely.

The problem is that this is a series of books that has had a 6 year wait so far for the latest installment. Many fans now believe that the author will not finish the series.

It's been a long time since I paid attention to this series. I read the original trilogy (or was it 4 books?) and didn't realize more followed. I can't see any reason to make movies or tv shows out of it. Unless you want to watch each and every character either get a knife stuck in their back or stick a knife in someone else's back it's probably not going to work for you.

I'm probably being unfair as it certainly found an audience in print but I just don't see it translating to the screen. OTOH, if they mix enough quality nudity in with their treachery it might make it. Personally, I'd rather they spend that money on Boardwalk Empire.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I paid attention to this series. I read the original trilogy (or was it 4 books?) and didn't realize more followed. I can't see any reason to make movies or tv shows out of it. Unless you want to watch each and every character either get a knife stuck in their back or stick a knife in someone else's back it's probably not going to work for you.

I'm probably being unfair as it certainly found an audience in print but I just don't see it translating to the screen. OTOH, if they mix enough quality nudity in with their treachery it might make it. Personally, I'd rather they spend that money on Boardwalk Empire.

Steve

Couple things:

There are 4 books so far -- and the 4th book is basically half of what was originally going to be long 4th book. What we've been waiting for is the second half of that 4th book (which now becomes the 5th book).

That said, the series is awesome--probably one of the best ever written, certainly on par with Tolkien. The author certainly wasn't squeamish about killing good characters and letting evil characters get away with murder.

I can't wait for the series, everything I've read/heard/seen says that it's pretty spectacular. As far as cable shows, this and Walking Dead are the two I'm looking forward to over the coming months.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm actually part way through the second book and judging by what I've read so far, this is PERFECT for HBO and should be a huge hit. Can't wait to see it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple things:

There are 4 books so far -- and the 4th book is basically half of what was originally going to be long 4th book. What we've been waiting for is the second half of that 4th book (which now becomes the 5th book).

That said, the series is awesome--probably one of the best ever written, certainly on par with Tolkien. The author certainly wasn't squeamish about killing good characters and letting evil characters get away with murder.

I can't wait for the series, everything I've read/heard/seen says that it's pretty spectacular. As far as cable shows, this and Walking Dead are the two I'm looking forward to over the coming months.

I'm sorry, but by law aren't you required to post an "understatement" alert? I'll admit to having been engrossed in the series when I initially read it but I've never had a desire to return to it. It was very well written but I prefer a little fantasy in my fantasy books (when I read fantasy, that is - even when it's high fantasy).

I wonder how they'll bring that much character development to the small screen while maintaining viewer interest. It will be a challenge, IMO. One thing is for sure, HBO is the best venue for this undertaking.

Steve

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I will destroy him and all of his progeny if he doesn't finish the series :D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will destroy him and all of his progeny if he doesn't finish the series :D

That's how I felt about Glen Cook and his Black Company series when he took a prolonged break. Then, after years had passed, he returned to the series and promptly ruined it (for me, anyway). Sometimes it's difficult for an author to go back to something they poured so much of themselves into.

Steve

Stout

Reaction score
That's how I felt about Glen Cook and his Black Company series when he took a prolonged break. Then, after years had passed, he returned to the series and promptly ruined it (for me, anyway). Sometimes it's difficult for an author to go back to something they poured so much of themselves into.

Steve

I was lucky to read that series when all of the books had already been written. I disagree that he ruined the series. True, there was a really weird book in there that I didn't much care for, but I love what ultimately happened with Croaker.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was lucky to read that series when all of the books had already been written. I disagree that he ruined the series. True, there was a really weird book in there that I didn't much care for, but I love what ultimately happened with Croaker.

My son agrees with you. Obviously, I had no choice but to disown him. I loved that series and perhaps your implication is correct. Maybe it was the delay that ruined it for me. I guess I'll read the Thrones series again and see how I fare with the books that follow the original trilogy.

Steve

Stout

Reaction score
My son agrees with you. Obviously, I had no choice but to disown him. I loved that series and perhaps your implication is correct. Maybe it was the delay that ruined it for me. I guess I'll read the Thrones series again and see how I fare with the books that follow the original trilogy.

Steve

Hey, he seems like a good kid. I'll adopt him, and take support payments from you...does he play war games? :D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, he seems like a good kid. I'll adopt him, and take support payments from you...does he play war games? :D

Yeah, he does but he's too old for me to pay support payments on him. He's old enough that I'm waiting for him to start supporting me any day now.

Steve

chickenhead

Reaction score
The latest book is taking a long time but should be finished. A graphic novel is also in the works.

I didn't love the way the most recent book was set entirely in Westeros (basically a very long book was split up geographically instead of chronologically) but overall I'm a big fan of the series. He really does a good job of keeping a lot of burning questions alive. Like: who is Coldhands and where is Benjen Stark?

The reason why I think this will translate well to the small screen is because they are absolutely serial novels, and HBO produces such great serial shows. The pacing in the books for when characters are broken away from and returned to will work well over the course of the season, IMO, if adapted well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First episode airs this Sunday (April 17th, HBO). Time to set up your DVR's.

Steve

chickenhead

Reaction score
I'm so excited for this series but can't watch! Staying somewhere without HBO right now...

I don't know what's available online but the OS on my laptop is ancient and can handle nothing...

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I watched the making of HBO had and this looks amazing. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow or Tuesday to sit down and watch it.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I can't get enough Emilia Clark. I have never read the books so getting all the names down will take some time but the first episode was pretty damn good.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't get enough Emilia Clark. I have never read the books so getting all the names down will take some time but the first episode was pretty damn good.

Yeah, she is easy on the eyes. I thought she was attractive in the only other thing I've seen her in and she looked even better in Thrones. She was about 15 pounds over the Hollywood maximum in that (bad) SyFy movie she was in but she carried it well. It was weird watching that movie though because it was directed by the sheriff from Eureka and most everything in it seemed to come directly from that show.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA