2010 Playoffs: Round 1, Game 1 - Trail Blazers At Suns Game Thread

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Does anybody want to consider the possibility that we just aren't that good? Our bloated record down the stretch was mostly against bad teams or teams with key injuries. We haven't played all that well since we lost Robin. Add to that, the fact that Portland is a bad matchup for us and we're in trouble here. I still think we can win this series but I never thought it was going to be easy.

Steve
Yeah, they're a bad matchup for us because they are quite comfortable and formulated for playoff basketball. There are several teams that pose a bad matchup for us....every year.

The suns are a bad matchup in the regular season though so there is that.

I still think the suns take this in 7 games simply due to Portlands loss of Roy...but it's only gonna be more of the same after that.
How often have the SUNS won a playoff series going downhill?

:bang:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Our best low post player, Amar'e does not have a goto move that is unstoppable. I think of Tim Duncan and that damned bank shot. Look at Dirk and that unstoppable fall away jumper. You can keep going on this. Amar'e can't get his own shot, and he needs to be set up. In playoff basketball, low post guys have to have a move that is basically unstoppable to put pressure on other teams. We'll see how the adjustments for the Suns go for game 2.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Yeah, they're a bad matchup for us because they are quite comfortable and formulated for playoff basketball. There are several teams that pose a bad matchup for us....every year.

The suns are a bad matchup in the regular season though so there is that.

I still think the suns take this in 7 games simply due to Portlands loss of Roy...but it's only gonna be more of the same after that.
How often have the SUNS won a playoff series going downhill?

:bang:

In some sense, this should prepare us for a long playoff run best, once we advance.;)

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The season's on the line on tuesday. If we lose the season's over. :(

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
They are sagging down on Stat because of Collins. The other Collins (Doug) called it before the game started. He said Portland was going to leave Collins by himself to help out on Amare.

It worked.

That was the key to the whole game. Portland didn't guard Collins. Literally they left him by himself 80% of the time. It's no point having him in the game because regardless of how much "size" or "D" he gives us on the other end, there's no way that neutralizes the effect of them taking Amare completely out of out offense.

Bench Collins. He brings nothing.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Want to free up Amare? Make some outside shots. Easy to pack the paint and double the post when there is no fear of being burned from the outside.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Our best low post player, Amar'e does not have a goto move that is unstoppable. I think of Tim Duncan and that damned bank shot. Look at Dirk and that unstoppable fall away jumper. You can keep going on this. Amar'e can't get his own shot, and he needs to be set up. In playoff basketball, low post guys have to have a move that is basically unstoppable to put pressure on other teams. We'll see how the adjustments for the Suns go for game 2.

We haven't gone to Amare often enough in his career for that to be reliable yet. And Camby would equally give fits to TD on defense. Be patient.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We haven't gone to Amare often enough in his career for that to be reliable yet. And Camby would equally give fits to TD on defense. Be patient.
If I remember correctly Camby wasn't that effective against Duncan in the Nuggets last playoff series against the Spurs and that Nene did a lot better job against him. :shrug:

cly2tw

Reaction score
That was the key to the whole game. Portland didn't guard Collins. Literally they left him by himself 80% of the time. It's no point having him in the game because regardless of how much "size" or "D" he gives us on the other end, there's no way that neutralizes the effect of them taking Amare completely out of out offense.

Bench Collins. He brings nothing.

Well, we didn't lose too much ground in the couple of minutes in 1st and 3rd he played. He is not the problem. Our execution down the stretch on both sides was.

im surprised we didnt see more zone in the 2nd half.

They busted it quite well with Rudy hitting a 3pt and we abandoned it right there. I'm fine with it though. We could always come back to it later to throw a curve ball to stop momentum, in the series.

OP
OP
AfroSuns

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portland's plan is very simple. Collins is useless, you have no other player in the post other than Amare, we will sag off you a little and crowd him as soon as him makes a move.
Simple answer to that is make your shots. Grant and Jrich shots didnt go down and Amare stopped being aggressive, he needs to be and get the bigs in trouble. I still believe the Suns win the series.

damo

Registered
Reaction score
Even though i've been reading these messageboards since rivals.com days I haven't enough posts to post links. So here's this from truehoop copied and pasted. I think it kinda says it all. Our hustle is our strength, and our hustle is the bench. And our bench currently consists of one big that actually plays inside, which is where we lost the game.

Amare Stoudemire is a certain kind of NBA big man. Call him an All-Star. Call him a multi-talent. Call him a bucket-getter, a shooter and a dunker.

He's all that and a bag of chips. But do not accuse him of shutting down the paint. That game is all about holding firm, building walls, reducing options and directing traffic. Stoudemire's special talent is breaking through walls, not building them.

The question is: What kind of big man do you play alongside Stoudemire? A big paint-patrolling behemoth, like say, Shaquille O'Neal, drags down the tempo of Steve Nash and company, and eats up the real estate around the rim that is integral to Nash's drive-and-kick game.

The Suns have experimented through the years. This season they found two players who fit. Robin Lopez has the energy, muscle, length and tenacity to hassle opponents around the rim, and Channing Frye has blossomed as a 3-point shooter.

But Lopez is out with a bad back, and likely will miss the entire first round.

The Suns recognize they have a problem. Frye is their "next best" big man. Why not just play him?

The theory here is that Frye and Stoudemire together give opponents too much access to the paint, where there are all kinds of rebounds and easy scoring opportunities.

So the Suns did something a bit desperate and odd three weeks ago: They declared an emergency and broke the glass surrounding Jarron Collins. His skill is to be large and a little mean, and to patrol the parts of the neighborhood Stoudemire can't. The Suns seldom give him the ball, and despite letting him take the court with the starters, could hardly ask for less. Is there any other NBA starter who hasn't played more than 18 minutes in any game all season?

Against Portland in Sunday's Game 1, the Blazers had some luck in the paint, especially through Andre Miller and Jerryd Bayless layups, as well as never-ending possessions fueled by bunches of offensive rebounds. As Lopez and Collins looked on in street clothes, neither Frye nor Stoudemire nor gloom of night could keep those Blazers from their appointed rounds under the basket.

There was one Phoenix big man who frustrated the Blazers, though, and that was the high-energy benchwarmer Louis Amundson. As Amundson's ponytail bopped around the court, stifling drives, catching lobs and closing out shooters, Portland's interior game suffered.

There will be dozens of articles about the only series that started with a road team's win. Many will pinpoint key moments, like Miller's 3-pointer or Martell Webster's twin blocked shots near the end of the third.

But to me the essential moment came with 6:26 left. That's when Suns coach Alvin Gentry sat Amundson in favor of the shooter Frye. Phoenix is unapologetic in its commitment to offense, where Frye excels. But everyone in the building knew the substitution had the potential to hurt at the other end.

The game was tied at 83.

Things happen fast in the NBA. Little leaks in the defense can quickly flood. Miller, Bayless, LaMarcus Aldridge, Nicolas Batum ... The Blazers scored on eight of their next ten possessions to lead 99-92 less than five minutes later. Try as the visitors might to let the Suns back in over the final 1:29, the contest was decided.

The signature play of the run came off a Batum miss. Aldridge waltzed down the lane and flipped up an unlikely putback, which dropped in. It was a little lucky the shot fell, but it was no coincidence that Aldridge got to the hoop unimpeded. No Sun touched him, which will be something to think about for Game 2

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the Blazers get to use 2 20 second time outs? I'm pretty certain that they got to use two of them in the last 90 seconds of the game.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't I?
vbookie still no worky:

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
They are sagging down on Stat because of Collins. The other Collins (Doug) called it before the game started. He said Portland was going to leave Collins by himself to help out on Amare.

It worked.

It would help if Amare passed out of the double teams more often. Most of the time he just tries to muscle in, but didn't work against Portland.

I think the Suns will make the adjustment for the next game (they better since I'm going to Tuesday's game!)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
hello jason richardson . . . the new shawn marion! pathetic. you score half your average and let the guy you're defending go for double his average. wow.

none of our guards can "guard" anyone. truly awful.

amare played soft last night. and his botches at the end of the game were horror-inducing.

why is out first team is routinely outplayed by our subs?

amazingly i still think we'll win this series, but as of today i am 50% less enthusiastic about the capabilities of this team in this post-season. and i was skeptically optimistic to begin with . . .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen