He's Earned It by John Clayton ESPN

Isaac

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3552515

After replacing an injured Matt Leinart last season, Kurt Warner completed 62.3 percent of his passes and threw for 27 touchdowns.

When I visited Cardinals camp in Flagstaff, Ariz., three weeks ago, it was Kurt Warner's turn in coach Ken Whisenhunt's quiet quarterback competition.

Whisenhunt never minced words this offseason. Matt Leinart was his starting quarterback, but everyone around camp knew what that meant: It was Leinart's job to lose. He lost it with a three-interception performance against the Raiders and weeks of regressing into bad habits in his dropback from center.

Leinart might have been considered the Cardinals' franchise quarterback, but Whisenhunt covered himself by having Warner alternate days with Leinart as the starting quarterback in practice. Last year, he sneaked Warner into the mix early in the season by making him the no-huddle quarterback, giving Warner enough preparation to take over as the starter if Leinart failed, which he did.

Because Warner's bid for a starting job was real but under the radar, I had a chance to compare notes with perhaps the greatest quarterback surprise story of his generation. When Trent Green went down with a preseason knee injury in 1999, Warner, a former Arena League unknown, stepped into Dick Vermeil's Rams offense and had one of the greatest quarterback runs of his age. The Rams had three consecutive seasons in which they scored more than 500 points, and Warner won two MVP awards.

At camp, Warner was pretty open about his past, present and future. Coming from the humbling background of being undrafted and having to work his way through a grocery store job, NFL Europe and the Arena League to pay his family bills, Warner wouldn't complain about spending most of the past six seasons fighting injuries or in backup roles. In fact, this could be the first season since his MVP year in 2001 that he could be a 16-game starter.

Warner admitted he had to sit down with his coaches before camp to see where he stood. Warner comes to camp each season with the idea of playing, not sitting. The coaches assured him the Cardinals' quarterback job was up for grabs even though Leinart had been named the starter. Trusting their words, Warner competed and won.

"They let me know early on," Warner said three weeks ago. "Everything I've done is with the approach that this is a competition. It's exciting for me. I feel great. I'm having fun. I feel like I'm in great command during the offseason. I'm playing as well as I ever had. I'm excited to be a part of this."

Unlike Brett Favre, who has only one more NFL MVP honor than Warner, Warner is at that year-to-year stage based on his opportunities. The NFL discriminates against age when you're a 37-year-old quarterback unless a team desperately needs you. Franchises prefer long-term quarterbacks versus year-to-year ones, and Warner knows he can't change the job realities of his position.

"I set in my mind to play two more seasons after this, and that will give me 13 years in the league," the 11-year quarterback said. "Physically, I think I can play two more years, but I'm in the year-to-year phase. I try to judge it by saying, 'If I'm a starter, how does it play into my future, and if I'm not a starter, do I want to be a backup?'"

Warner is in the last year of his Cardinals contract and is scheduled to make $4 million. He'd like an extension, but he's not pushing the issue. Though the future is in the back of his mind, Warner will concentrate on the present.

A first-round failure like Leinart's may set a franchise back for years, but Warner, though he's not demanding an extension as Jeff Garcia did this offseason in Tampa Bay, would be willing to sign on for 2009 and 2010 to be the Cardinals' starter. If that doesn't happen, he'll take things as they come, realizing 2008 could be his last fling.

Coming off the bench to replace an injured Leinart last season, Warner completed 62.3 percent of his passes, threw for 27 touchdowns and had an 89.8 quarterback rating, his best numbers since 2001. Watching him throw, I have no doubts he could maintain his gunslinging style. The Cardinals have a chance to be among the highest-scoring teams in the NFC and will challenge Seattle for the NFC West title. Warner helped carry them to the eight-win level last year.

Warner is content to finish his career in Arizona, but either the Cardinals' or league's perception of him will determine whether he will realize his goal of staying in the league until 2010. Clearly, he might not be interested in moving to another city if teams offer only backup jobs.

"The questions I will ask are, do I want to be a backup, or is there going to be an opening for me to go somewhere else to be a starter?" Warner said.

The Summer of Favre gave NFL fans an insight into what all of us who cover the sport see when following older quarterbacks. There is no closure to careers. Great quarterbacks live by the pass and survive by the possession. Whether they are down by 20 or coming off the bench, the experienced quarterbacks believe they can create magic no matter what the odds are against them.

Steve McNair's joining the Baltimore Ravens gave them a 13-win season. The Jets, with Favre, have the look of a wild-card team. Warner puts the Cardinals in the division and wild-card race. Jeff Garcia gave the Bucs a playoff run last season.

But as we witnessed with McNair, older quarterbacks are year-to-year. The air went out of McNair in 2007. He retired. Favre may have three years remaining on his contract, but a wild-card trip may not scratch his itch to continue playing after this year.

Warner's three-year plan is pretty clear. Whisenhunt believed in him enough to keep him in the competitive mix to be the starter if Leinart failed. It was a cleaner way to handle it than in San Francisco.

Mike Nolan of the 49ers knows his future as coach is tied to two things -- winning, and what happens to Alex Smith. Nolan never backed Smith, even though the franchise will pay him $10.3 million this year. He created a three-way competition, but as camp played out, J.T. O'Sullivan was in the right position to win the job. Now, Smith's a goner after the season.

Whisenhunt gave Leinart every chance to win the job. Sure, he probably felt threatened when Warner earned first-team snaps every other day, but too bad. All he had to do was light up practice and do the same in games. He didn't, and his skills have deteriorated inexplicably.

The irony to Warner's rise in Arizona is that he plays a big role in the coaching futures of Nolan and Warner's former mentor, Mike Martz, the 49ers' offensive coordinator. If Warner succeeds and the 49ers fail, the 49ers might make major changes after the season. Martz, meanwhile, loves O'Sullivan because he has some of the best of Warner and Jon Kitna.

But Warner's the original, and he's back in charge in Arizona. We'll see whether it ends up being a happy ending or a continuation of his fairy-tale career.

John Clayton, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame writers' wing, is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't we supposed to NOT copy the entire article? Or was that just from one specific site?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
First,

:deadhorse2: and :deadhorse:

Second, the question is when was this written ?

Today or last night? Sounds like ESPN trying to cover their arse. When was the last time there was this much coverage on the Cardinals by ESPN ?

Don't get the wrong idea, ESPN still doesn't give a damn about the Cardinals they are just trying to save face.

I love the "Well, while I was at Cardinals camp......" Yeah, for two flippin' days, and probably were on their sell phone calling the 1-800 Farve line.

I have nothing to say in regards to the QB situation. But I will say ESPN has sunk lower than I have ever expected them to.

Pathetic.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
do you think JOhn Clayton has ever even picked up a football? And now he's telling us who should start. They may as well have aksed Hannah Storm who should start.

lkratavil49

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
John Clayton is well respected. I’m not ready to call Matt a bust but it does not look good. And that is not good for us Arizona fans. It stinks to say the lest.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
No we aren't supposed to copy the entire article

In this case I would make an exception. Clayton put it into words we can all understand and which make sense whether you support Leinart or Warner. Clearly I am on the Warner bandwagon as I think he clearly gives us the best chance of winning this year. I am concerned Leinart may never make it as a starting NFL QB and our hunt for a new QB will once again start over. Leinart will likely get some chances this year and he had better make the best of them.

I have read that he does not have enough arm strength to throw out pass across the field with anything on it and his passes over the middle put the receivers in danger due to a lack of accuracy. I have no idea if any of this is true.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
John Clayton said:
Whisenhunt gave Leinart every chance to win the job. Sure, he probably felt threatened when Warner earned first-team snaps every other day, but too bad. All he had to do was light up practice and do the same in games. He didn't, and his skills have deteriorated inexplicably.

And I thought we were bad. This is based on the two practices he watches, or the same "sources" that told us that Warner has won the QB job.

I dunno. Sounds like a cover up to me.

I'll wait for Whiz's decision.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Aren't we supposed to NOT copy the entire article? Or was that just from one specific site?

IIRC we aren't supposed to copy entire premium or insider articles but can copy free articles as long as we provide a link to where it came from.

lkratavil49

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In this case I would make an exception. Clayton put it into words we can all understand and which make sense whether you support Leinart or Warner. Clearly I am on the Warner bandwagon as I think he clearly gives us the best chance of winning this year. I am concerned Leinart may never make it as a starting NFL QB and our hunt for a new QB will once again start over. Leinart will likely get some chances this year and he had better make the best of them.

I have read that he does not have enough arm strength to throw out pass across the field with anything on it and his passes over the middle put the receivers in danger due to a lack of accuracy. I have no idea if any of this is true.

I was hoping he would be the next Joe Montana. Short passes but right on target but so far that has not happened. It’s true he had troubles with the long passes at USC too.

chicards11

Registered
Reaction score
do you think JOhn Clayton has ever even picked up a football? And now he's telling us who should start. They may as well have aksed Hannah Storm who should start.

ummm....? 90% of this board is doing the same thing

:bang:

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Matt loses his starting job, he's going to have to get it back the way Plummer got his starting role. He's going to have to get in there and command the huddle and tell the 0-line if they don't want to be there, get off the damn field.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Clayton was a little too harsh when he said Leinart's "skills have deteriorated inexplicably." He probably came to that conclusion watching the replays of the three interceptions...as Leinart's mechanics which on those plays were inexplicably poor.

This is the thing with Leinart...his mechanics.

When a QB does not have a rocket arm, it's all the more imperative to have good mechanics.

It all starts with footwork...the three and five step drops have to be crisp and then there should be a short rocker step, if you will, to set the feet in proper position. Upon release the QB needs to be stepping into his throw...only the QB's with rocket arms can deliver a sharply thrown pass from their backfeet.

Then...there's the positioning of the football...it ideally should be up in the neighborhood of the QB's chin...at times, Leinart is good at this...at others he tends to keep the ball too low...which further slows his delivery. Leinart should study the expert on this: Peyton Manning.

The delivery for Leinart is the area he needs most to improve. He tends to have a loopy arm motion...which for the NFL game is too slow. Combine this with poor footwork and what you get are the wobblers, like the one on the third interception.

The other area is point of release...in Leinart's case, because of his slow delivery he tends to compensate by releasing the ball too quickly, which causes the nose of the football to rise (check his overthrow of Leonard Pope, e.g. and the underthrow on the go route to Fitz...the nose of the ball upon release was too high in both cases, causing on overhthrow on the intermediate route and an underthrow on the deep pass)...and eliminates the good snap of a follow through.

Leinart snapped the ball last week on his TD to Breaston. His mechanics on that play were good.

The two best passes Saturday night...in terms of proper mechanics:

1. Warner's 25 yard pass to Boldin up the right sideline. First of all, Warner read correctly that the raider's were in press man coverage, which makes a quick fade route the perfect choice. Secondly, Warner chose not to float the ball which could have allowed the safety a play on the ball...he stepped into his throw and snapped his follow through.

2. Brian St. Pierre's skinny post to Jerheme Urban. If you get the chance to see this play again, it's worth it. St. Pierre made a perfect three step drop and then stood as tall as he could, with the ball in a trigger position...and the second Urban broke free, St. Pierre threw a perfect over-the-ear dart. Check his release point and the snap of the follow through...they were both textbook on that play.

And, I'll add a third...St. Pierre's 19 yard out pass left to Lance Long. Frist of all, for a RH QB the deep out left is one of the hardest throws...because it requires perfect mechanics...the QB needs to set his feet, turn, square his shoulders and step into the throw with authority. St. Pierre did all of that on this pass...as he threw a frozen rope that even led Long a little (on that pass RH QB's tend to throw it a tad behind the WR). Remember this pass was for 19 yards....which means the ball was in the air about 30 yards.

The great news for Leinart is that in Whiz, Haley and Rutledge he's had QB mechanic gurus to push him along.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Matt loses his starting job, he's going to have to get it back the way Plummer got his starting role. He's going to have to get in there and command the huddle and tell the 0-line if they don't want to be there, get off the damn field.
And if they still won't get off the field, he will throw a pick to get them off. That will show them.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And if they still won't get off the field, he will throw a pick to get them off. That will show them.
Then Matt can tackle the player that got the pick to show the defense proper textbook tackling.

Hog'sWad271

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It was Leinart's job to lose. He lost it

Oh really? According to the Cardinals, or Mortensen?

Last year, he sneaked Warner into the mix early in the season by making him the no-huddle quarterback, giving Warner enough preparation to take over as the starter if Leinart failed, which he did.

Flatly wrong. Warner took over as the starter because Leinart suffered a broken collarbone.

The coaches assured him the Cardinals' quarterback job was up for grabs even though Leinart had been named the starter. Trusting their words, Warner competed and won.

This is surreal.

A first-round failure like Leinart's may set a franchise back for years, but Warner, though he's not demanding an extension as Jeff Garcia did this offseason in Tampa Bay, would be willing to sign on for 2009 and 2010 to be the Cardinals' starter. If that doesn't happen, he'll take things as they come, realizing 2008 could be his last fling.

So Leinart is a draft bust who will not start for the Cardinals in 2009 or 2010, based on two days of camp and one half of a preseason game. But, he could start in '09 and '10 though. Huh?

You have absolutely got to be kidding me. Good point by Rugby on this one. May I add that if it's fair to say this about a 3rd year player based on 3 throws in preseason, I hereby judge by this flatly innacurate, drummed up column that John Clayton's writing skills and ethics have deteriorated inexplicably.

The last line of the column makes no sense either. "We'll see if he has a happy ending or a happy ending." What?

When I was growing up my Mom had this nasty, condescending habit of just continuing a conversation as if it's understood by both parties that you were lying, no matter what came out of your mouth or was proven otherwise -- usually punctuated by a rather hollow and annoying use of the word "hun." As in:

"Mother, my friend did not steal that dollar bill from you."

"It's not a big deal that he stole the dollar from me, hun."

The ESPN guys are treating Whisenhunt and the Cardinals the same way. "You spent the entire day Monday doing damage control and refuting our claims? That's nice. We know it's all a lie, we have sources." It appears that the team does not have to make a decision to have made a decision, because ESPN can do it for us. I *promise* you this would be different if it were the Cowboys & Tony Romo's job in question.