Good draft for Suns

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Suns didnt sell the pick or trade it away and we got a seven footer who works hard. Not bad at all. At least we are all pleased finally. Some may think they dont like the pick but they dont like having the pick sold even less so they are happy too on some level.

I like the Suns drafting an athletic big. Robin may be raw on the offensive end but so was Amare at first so lets wait and see on how he develops. He might want to keep up with his bro and push himself to excel as a player.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns didnt sell the pick or trade it away and we got a seven footer who works hard. Not bad at all. At least we are all pleased finally. Some may think they dont like the pick but they dont like having the pick sold even less so they are happy too on some level.

I like the Suns drafting an athletic big. Robin may be raw on the offensive end but so was Amare at first so lets wait and see on how he develops. He might want to keep up with his bro and push himself to excel as a player.

Not a good draft. Better draft then the last 2 years? Really? Ultimately are the results any better then last year? Let's recap.

• Drafted Center who probably will not contribute this year.
  • Drafted a PG that the Suns knew would not be playing this year to save money.
  • Gave up another future draft pick again probably to save money.
  • Did not get a backup PG.
  • Did not get a backup SG/SF swingman.
  • Did not get a shooter

To sum it up. All we got is Robin Lopez. If this team is not big in Free Agency or Trades this draft does nothing to help the Suns win a title this year. Unless your saying that Robin Lopez pushes us over the top?

Last edited:
OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Who ever said this draft is supposed to push the Suns over the top?? What did you expect out of the #15 pick? At that draft range they are all prospects.

Talk about high expectations :lol:

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why do you say this? One of the biggest knocks on Robin is that he's NOT athletic.

NBA draft says different

"More mobile and athletic than his twin brother Brook ... Really hits the glass hard and hustles for loose balls ... An excellent shot blocker (led the Pac-Ten as a freshman at 2.4 per game) ... With his quickness and explosive leaping ability he has a real chance to be a factor as a shot blocker on the next level ... Foot speed is good allowing him to get to rebounds and run the floor very well"

HooverDam

Reaction score
NBA draft says different

"More mobile and athletic than his twin brother Brook ... Really hits the glass hard and hustles for loose balls ... An excellent shot blocker (led the Pac-Ten as a freshman at 2.4 per game) ... With his quickness and explosive leaping ability he has a real chance to be a factor as a shot blocker on the next level ... Foot speed is good allowing him to get to rebounds and run the floor very well"

More athletic than his brother doesn't mean anything. It just means he's less of a slug than Brook.

From DraftExpress.com, (which I think has better scouting than NBADraft.net for the most part):

• Good, not great athlete
• Average explosiveness
• Needs to get stronger
• Struggles defending perimeter
• Gets backed down in paint
• Project

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
More athletic than his brother doesn't mean anything. It just means he's less of a slug than Brook.

From DraftExpress.com, (which I think has better scouting than NBADraft.net for the most part):

You really should read the whole post instead of picking out what you want

With his quickness and explosive leaping ability he has a real chance to be a factor as a shot blocker on the next level ... Foot speed is good allowing him to get to rebounds and run the floor very well

HooverDam

Reaction score
Have you seen Robin Lopez play? I have, in person, on multiple occasions. When slowish guys like Jeff Pendergraph are scoring on you with ease, quick big guys like Dirk, Gasol, Garnett, etc are going to tear you apart. Drink as much Kool Aid as you want, just notice that the people who have actually watched Pac 10 basketball think this pick is garbage.

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Have you seen Robin Lopez play? I have, in person, on multiple occasions. When slowish guys like Jeff Pendergraph are scoring on you with ease, quick big guys like Dirk, Gasol, Garnett, etc are going to tear you apart. Drink as much Kool Aid as you want, just notice that the people who have actually watched Pac 10 basketball think this pick is garbage.

Well the Suns thought was something thats why he was drafted at 15. I guess you know something they dont.....

HooverDam

Reaction score
Well the Suns thought was something thats why he was drafted at 15. I guess you know something they dont.....

Amazing argument, were you on the debate team in High School?

Let me see if I can summarize your position:

If an NBA team takes a player with the 15th pick in the NBA draft, their fans should not question it. After all Frederic Weis, Jason Collier, Bosjtan Nachbar, & Reece Gaines all turned out to be great.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do know that the biggest boos the Suns ever got on draft day were for Dan Majerle and Steve Nash (that is, boos when they actually drafted a player, selling picks doesnt count). I remember how message boards blew up when Ainge called Nash the "safe pick."

I am not worried if fans on boards don't like the Lopez pick. They worked him out, they know his athletic ability. The expectations the Suns have for R Lopez seem to fit with the reports. He will be in a situation where he can succeed. I still think he will be better than his brother.

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

If an NBA team takes a player with the 15th pick in the NBA draft, their fans should not question it. After all Frederic Weis, Jason Collier, Bosjtan Nachbar, & Reece Gaines all turned out to be great.

Buddy you're the one quoting out of context to suit your needs. You read the first line out of NBAdraft and use it to define the guy...brilliant. You already lowered yourself so its a bit late to take the high road on the debate chum.

Hey he's not a stiff...is that better??

Last edited:

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score

i think he is a good player,he did fine in the nets until he got injured

HooverDam

Reaction score
Buddy you're they one quoting out of context to suit your needs. Your read the first line out of NBAdraft and use it to define the guy...brilliant. You already lowered yourself so its a bit late to take the high road on the debate chum.

Hey he's not a stiff...is that better??

Im not quoting out of context to suit my needs. I'm quoting the freakin' side bar of his draft profile and going off what I've seen. With my eyes. In person. While watching collegiate basketball.

He's not a stiff, wow, just the description I want of a near lottery pick.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score

i disagree,i ve seen brooks' games and although brook has been the go-guy,I always thought Robin will have more success because he defenses much better,he s tougher,more hardworking.h

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Im not quoting out of context to suit my needs. I'm quoting the freakin' side bar of his draft profile and going off what I've seen. With my eyes. In person. While watching collegiate basketball.

He's not a stiff, wow, just the description I want of a near lottery pick.

Yeah you did quote out of context by summerizing that "he's more athletic than his brother but that doesnt make him athletic" while ignoring the rest of the article. You dont quote what you want and ignore the rest pal...thats misleading.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Yeah you did quote out of context by summerizing that "he's more athletic than his brother but that doesnt make him athletic" while ignoring the rest of the article. You dont quote what you want and ignore the rest pal...thats misleading.

Lets just make this simple, how many times have you watched Robin Lopez play basketball?

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lets just make this simple, how many times have you watched Robin Lopez play basketball?

So in other words I'm supposed to take your "scouting" as gospel while ignoring what others say about him. Whatever....

Can I be optimistic for half a second without you slamming me?

HooverDam

Reaction score
So in other words I'm supposed to take your "scouting" as gospel while ignoring what others say about him. Whatever....

Can I be optimistic for half a second without you slamming me?

I just think its silly to be overly optimistic about someone you've never seen. That would make sense if you were a fan of a team with an experienced GM with a history of good draft picks, or a team with a savvy front office, but recent history ought to tell you NOT to give the Suns the benefit of the doubt.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
i watched his 9 games,6 on TV,three here in Palo Alto.The guy will be good,he is tall,athletic,great defender,we can work him on his offense.he should be the choice before Skinner

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I just think its silly to be overly optimistic about someone you've never seen. That would make sense if you were a fan of a team with an experienced GM with a history of good draft picks, or a team with a savvy front office, but recent history ought to tell you NOT to give the Suns the benefit of the doubt.

Overly optimistic? LOL

I think you need to open a dictionary--there's no "overly" about it. Cautiously optimistic, maybe. But overly? That is completely open to interpretation. And unfortunately for you, I trust the guys that get paid to analyze players over some armchair GM drinking a beer watching UCLA beating Stanford to a pulp.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who ever said this draft is supposed to push the Suns over the top?? What did you expect out of the #15 pick? At that draft range they are all prospects.

Talk about high expectations :lol:

Well isn't it? The Suns have been talking about improving the team in the offseason through the draft, free agency and trades. This draft is only one piece but yes it's suppose to be one of the vehicles the Suns use to put this team over the top.

So, again let's recap.

Draft - Robin Lopez
Free Agency - Not a thing
Trades - Not a thing.

Sounds like we are on track doesn't it?

HooverDam

Reaction score
Overly optimistic? LOL

Pokerface made allusions to Amare Stoudemire in his opening post. How is that not overly optimistic?

I'll be thrilled if Robin ends up at Anderson Varejao level, but there's a good chance he won't. Even if he does end up at about that level, 15 is still a high pick for a back up big, but whatever, can't change the pick now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard