Suns to find out about Barry Monday Night/Tuesday Morning

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
TBH, I would much prefer to have Cassell and whip our shooters back into shape.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Sounds like he is gonna drag this out, expect the Suns to say we are moving on since he doesn't want to make a decision yet.
There's no reason for Barry to make a quick decision. It's not like he could play right away, even if he chose the Suns. He's still injured and won't be able to play for at least 10 more days. If he decides now, especially with Phoenix, he'll have to start being with the team and doing media stuff and be at practice and treatment sessions, team events, and travel to road games, etc.

The guy probably just wants to chill out a few days with his family before taking on the hectic last couple of months of the season and the playoffs. Can't say I blame him.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
I'm with you. Cassell can get just as hot as Barry and help us out at the point. Plus, he gets under opponents' skin and I think the Suns need more of that.

cassell can't shoot the 3, is older, and slower. no thanks.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There's no reason for Barry to make a quick decision. It's not like he could play right away, even if he chose the Suns.

The sooner Barry signs, the more money he will make. He should make around $12k per game on a veteran minimum contract. All for just sitting on a bench in a suit.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Barry is playing us so he can go back to San Antonio without the NBA raising an eyebrow.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barry is playing us so he can go back to San Antonio without the NBA raising an eyebrow.

This really seems to be the case, however, I think Barry would be honest with Kerr at least to the degree he is not going to sign with the Suns.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Do you guys have the MLE left?

Boston doesn't, Mavs have the full, Denver has 2.5 of it.

I believe the Suns have:

Full MLE
8+ million TPE from Kurt Thomas
~3 million TPE from James Jones
~4 million TPE from Banks in the Shaq for Banks/Marion trade

Only the first 2 have potential to help Phoenix lure Cassell though; the KT TPE incase of claiming off waivers, MLE for signing him after he's cleared waivers although realistically I doubt money is a huge motivator for him.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Cassell would be huge, I think a bigger add than Barry. We need a backup PG, and I don't know how much Cassell would want to backup but if he wants to win a ring I think he might sign up for it.

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
Cassell would be huge, I think a bigger add than Barry. We need a backup PG, and I don't know how much Cassell would want to backup but if he wants to win a ring I think he might sign up for it.

Agreed. The dude can shoot, and run the point very well. What more can you ask when Nash sits?

Sure Barry can shoot, but Cassell would keep the offense going for the bench.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I believe the Suns have:

Full MLE
8+ million TPE from Kurt Thomas
~3 million TPE from James Jones
~4 million TPE from Banks in the Shaq for Banks/Marion trade

Only the first 2 have potential to help Phoenix lure Cassell though; the KT TPE incase of claiming off waivers, MLE for signing him after he's cleared waivers although realistically I doubt money is a huge motivator for him.
Looking at this reminds me that had we kept KT and Jones then we would have had the expiring contracts and first rounders to beat the Lakers heist of Pau Gasol.

OP
OP
green machine

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Looking at this reminds me that had we kept KT and Jones then we would have had the expiring contracts and first rounders to beat the Lakers heist of Pau Gasol.

Doesn't mean the Grizz would have sent him here, remember it sounds like they only contacted the Lakers.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the only reason Barry listened to their offers was to create the appearance that he didn't already agree to go back to the Spurs prior to the trade, then every team that went after him should be upset. The league will not do anything about it, of course, at least not until off-season.

The league CAN'T do anything about it because there's no way to prove intent and there's provisions for a waived player after a trade to return to his previous team.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Can the Spurs negotiate with Barry while he's under this 30 day rule? Could he sign before then, but just not play until the league rules permit?

OP
OP
green machine

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Wow aren't I a liar, especially given the title of this thread?

Thanks Jerry Brown for ruining my credibility! :mad::banned:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I admit the NBA is too complicated these days for me to understand all these trades/sales/whatever, but why did Seattle release Barry?

Seems to me that a lot of teams have interest in him. Couldn't Seattle have traded him for a pick or some cash or something? :shrug:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I admit the NBA is too complicated these days for me to understand all these trades/sales/whatever, but why did Seattle release Barry?

Seems to me that a lot of teams have interest in him. Couldn't Seattle have traded him for a pick or some cash or something? :shrug:

They took him to make the trade numbers work. They had no intention of him ever playing on the team.