John From Cincinnati (HBO)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I like this show but the 13 yr old kid is a terrible actor, the less of him the better the show is.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this show but the 13 yr old kid is a terrible actor, the less of him the better the show is.

He's not even an actor. He's a pro skater from 4th gen surf royalty. Milch was inspired to try and turn him into an actor. As bad as he is, somehow he's not as bad as De Mornay.

I think I'm done with this series, too. The writing and acting is all one note. It's not important, it's self-important, and I'm no longer compelled.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
As bad as he is, somehow he's not as bad as De Mornay.

I agree with this and am pretty surprised about it to be honest.

And I feel really dumb because until the "Deadwood vs John from Cincinatti" thread I never even noticed the stupid JC acronym thing... :|

But I could not stand deadwood, and this one may be working it's way to not being bearable either (although last nights episode was not the series killer for me, it may be the acting, and overacting).

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm out. It's not that I'm uninterested. I actually dislike this show. Hopefully I can find something good to take its place because I'm running low on TV shows during a time of year where I actually have time to watch them.

Joe

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm out. It's not that I'm uninterested. I actually dislike this show. Hopefully I can find something good to take its place because I'm running low on TV shows during a time of year where I actually have time to watch them.

Joe

Entourage
Flight of the Conchords
Rescue Me

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Entourage
Flight of the Conchords
Rescue Me

I've watched entourage and rescue me since they started. I actually thought flight of the Concordes was pretty funny, but I got bored with it after a couple episodes.

I just recorded the first 3-4 episodes of Burn Notice.

I have to find shows to watch with my attendants for a few hours every morning.

Joe

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
there's no fence for me . . . i love this show. have since the get-go. i am legitimately interested in every character except linc (and that just may be b/c he just seems like dylan from 90210 grown up and outta cash). unlike most of you i like sissy's character. she's a lunatic and it's ironic that she's the one that's kept this dysfunctional group of men together.

but it really shouldn't be a surprise that i'm so enthralled by it, i am an a true kem nunn fanatic. when i found out he was involved (after having watched the first episode and already loving it) i knew it was going to take some really strange twists.

and funny that someone's girlfriend won't watch it 'cuz it's a "show about surfing" . . . one of my biggest complaints is that there's not enough surfing and no real reference to surfing lifestyle. for instance, we don't see shawnie hangin' with his boys and we never see the typical surf rats just hanging around the yost shop - which is kinda a lame surf shop - doesn't seem to have a shaping room, where you'd find the most interesting action and convo.

and i actually wish it were a bit grittier (if you can believe that). butchie and his druggie connections are actually a bit too clean for my tastes.

if you're having trouble following it, but are enjoying the characters (which is the core of my interest), keep with it . . . kem nunn does not usually disappoint with the twists and turns.

and if you want to read a really good book (with an admittedly soft ending), read tapping the source or dogs of winter.

can't wait for tonight's episode.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's no fence for me . . . i love this show. have since the get-go. i am legitimately interested in every character except linc (and that just may be b/c he just seems like dylan from 90210 grown up and outta cash). unlike most of you i like sissy's character. she's a lunatic and it's ironic that she's the one that's kept this dysfunctional group of men together.

but it really shouldn't be a surprise that i'm so enthralled by it, i am an a true kem nunn fanatic. when i found out he was involved (after having watched the first episode and already loving it) i knew it was going to take some really strange twists.

and funny that someone's girlfriend won't watch it 'cuz it's a "show about surfing" . . . one of my biggest complaints is that there's not enough surfing and no real reference to surfing lifestyle. for instance, we don't see shawnie hangin' with his boys and we never see the typical surf rats just hanging around the yost shop - which is kinda a lame surf shop - doesn't seem to have a shaping room, where you'd find the most interesting action and convo.

and i actually wish it were a bit grittier (if you can believe that). butchie and his druggie connections are actually a bit too clean for my tastes.

if you're having trouble following it, but are enjoying the characters (which is the core of my interest), keep with it . . . kem nunn does not usually disappoint with the twists and turns.

and if you want to read a really good book (with an admittedly soft ending), read tapping the source or dogs of winter.

can't wait for tonight's episode.

I concur. BTW, it was probably me who has the girlfriend who won't watch it, because in her mind, it is a surf show. Suits me fine. I don't have to answer her inane questions while the show is running. Last night, I watched "John" in one room , while she watched " The Devil Wears Prada ", again and again and again, in another room. I get the hi def tv.

Sissy is just fine. She is the one most others get to play off and is the target of some great one line drops and asides.

Linc just might have a future with this motley group. He now has $65 mil, and a lot of spare time with his 5 year no compete clause. Maybe he opens up a clinic of mystic healing with Doc Smith.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm done. If it gets better then I'll know because you guys will be raving about it and I'll watch it on DVD.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
What was up with last night's episode? Is it just me or did nothing happen?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was up with last night's episode? Is it just me or did nothing happen?

Butchy tried to connect with his son for the first time in ages. That was a pretty big moment IMO.

I will say this, it was a little tough for me to take any scene between Perry and Gosselar seriously. It just felt like I was watching Zack Morris and Dylan messing around as has-been millionaires.

I thought last night was a decent episode after the last one that was just a little too abstract for me and my brain.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it just me or is the woman who plays Shawn's Mom getting uglier and uglier (literally) in every episode?

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it just me or is the woman who plays Shawn's Mom getting uglier and uglier (literally) in every episode?

You are not alone. I believe she is morphing into Miss Piggy face. She actually does resemble Shauny.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Butchy tried to connect with his son for the first time in ages. That was a pretty big moment IMO.

I will say this, it was a little tough for me to take any scene between Perry and Gosselar seriously. It just felt like I was watching Zack Morris and Dylan messing around as has-been millionaires.

I thought last night was a decent episode after the last one that was just a little too abstract for me and my brain.

yeah, gosselar was a surprise, and unfortunately (b/c i like him generally), not a pleasant one. i'm still having enough trouble with linc as a type-cast (in my mind) player, now they're adding another one? i hope gosselar's character is one-and-done, but i doubt it.

still loving this show. would like more of ramone. i think he's classic.

and i actually think this was shawnie's best acting job yet despite the fact that he didn't exactly have a lot of facetime.

no mitch this episode. i wonder if that's going to be a running subplot in the series, each one has a character go missing for an entire episode - an odd twist in a television series . . .

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, gosselar was a surprise, and unfortunately (b/c i like him generally), not a pleasant one. i'm still having enough trouble with linc as a type-cast (in my mind) player, now they're adding another one? i hope gosselar's character is one-and-done, but i doubt it.

still loving this show. would like more of ramone. i think he's classic.

and i actually think this was shawnie's best acting job yet despite the fact that he didn't exactly have a lot of facetime.

no mitch this episode. i wonder if that's going to be a running subplot in the series, each one has a character go missing for an entire episode - an odd twist in a television series . . .

mitch has been AWOL a lot on this show, not just the last one.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
One more left and they claim "all will be answered".

This better be one hell of a finale because the last three episodes have been fairly dull.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more left and they claim "all will be answered".

This better be one hell of a finale because the last three episodes have been fairly dull.

I am thoroughly enjoying the series. But then I don't view it as a thrill a minute adventure ride.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what to make of this show. I think it may have a bit of a Christian-religious context (John as Messiah, Tina as Mary Mangaline, etc.) but I'm not even sure of that anymore. I like the story evolving but there are just parts of the show that I don't understand and some of the dialogue is nonsensical. Like who is that corpse that keeps showing up in the bar? Granted I missed the first two or three episodes, but I still think parts of it are very difficult to understand.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoo hoo. The new character, the Chemist aka Erlemeyer, is none other than Howard Hesseman, Johnny Fever from " WKRP in Cincinnatti ".

Come on folks. Too coincidental to be a coincidence.

John from Cincinnati.

WKRP in Cincinnati.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey, folks - here with a little inside info BUT NO SPOILERS so you can read this without fear of having anything ruined for you. This is gonna be the last episode of the entire show - not the season, but the SERIES.

I know this because we're just about to begin casting on my boss' pilot for Lifetime and apparently ALL of the cast from JC are on listed on the casting director's lists as AVAILABLE, which means none of them are booked for anything in the next year.

so enjoy it while it lasts and let's hope Milch doesn't leave us with a giant sh%tburger.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey, folks - here with a little inside info BUT NO SPOILERS so you can read this without fear of having anything ruined for you. This is gonna be the last episode of the entire show - not the season, but the SERIES.

I know this because we're just about to begin casting on my boss' pilot for Lifetime and apparently ALL of the cast from JC are on listed on the casting director's lists as AVAILABLE, which means none of them are booked for anything in the next year.

so enjoy it while it lasts and let's hope Milch doesn't leave us with a giant sh%tburger.

So much for surprises. Thanks for nothing.